Teen Spirit.

By wulfhall

I'll never have the kind of goodness you have living inside you. Twilight Saga Au / Jacob Black. More

𝑻𝑬𝑬𝑡 𝑺𝑷𝑰𝑹𝑰𝑻.
⇨PART ONE: people are strange !
γ€Ž one: PRETTY ENOUGH. 』
γ€Ž two: BELLFLOWERS 』
γ€Ž three: JUNE WAS ... 』
γ€Ž four: A SISTER'S PICKLE. 』
γ€Ž five: SUGAR, SPICE, & EVERYTHING NICE. 』
γ€Ž six: F*CK YOU UNIVERSE 』
γ€Ž seven: THE ONE WHERE JUNE GETS HER DOG BACK. 』
γ€Ž eight: MODERN VAN GOGH. 』
γ€Ž nine: RATS AND SUPER RATS. 』
γ€Ž ten: THE GOSPEL TRUTH ! 』
γ€Ž eleven: ORIGIN OF FLOWER CHILD. 』
γ€Ž twelve: PURPLE AND PAINFUL. 』
γ€Ž thirteen: "HEY BATTER-BATTER, SWING!" 』
γ€Ž fourteen: CHANGELING. 』
γ€Ž fifteen, end of pt i : NIGHTS IN WHITE SATIN. 』
⇨PART TWO: house of the rising moon !
γ€Ž sixteen: DEAD GIRL WALKING. 』
γ€Ž eighteen: CARBON COPY. 』
γ€Ž nineteen: TEN TIMES TERRIBLE. 』
γ€Ž twenty: THE HAPPINESS OF JUNE SWAN. 』
γ€Ž twenty one: A GHOST SPEAKS ! 』
γ€Ž twenty two: HOWEVER LONG FOREVER IS ... 』
γ€Ž twenty three: AREN'T YOU USED TO THIS? 』
γ€Ž twenty four: I MISS HIM MORE THAN SUMMER. 』
γ€Ž twenty five: SOUNDS LIKE THE MOON! 』
γ€Ž twenty six: HOSTESS WITH THE MOSTEST. 』
γ€Ž twenty seven: PRECIOUS, ALMIGHTY BLOOD. 』
γ€Ž twenty eight: KEEPING UP WITH THE QUILEUTES, ep 1 』
γ€Ž twenty nine: HIS FOR NOW, NOT HIS FOREVER. 』
γ€Ž thirty: THE THIRD GIRL. 』
γ€Ž thirty one: WAITRESS/MENDER/DYING GIRL. 』
γ€Ž thirty two: OPERATION WOLF PRINCESS. 』
γ€Ž thirty three: NOT ALL STARS SHINE. 』
γ€Ž thirty four: CLEARWATER. 』
γ€Ž thirty five, end of pt ii: SURVIVOR'S GUILT. 』
⇨PART THREE: lady lazarus !
γ€Ž thirty six: WILTED WOMAN. 』
γ€Ž thirty seven: THE SWAN HOUSEHOLD 』
γ€Ž thirty eight: GEMINI SEASON. 』
γ€Ž thirty nine: MADE OF STONE/LAURELS 』
γ€Ž forty : TO PAINT THE PAIN AWAY. 』
γ€Ž forty-one : DON'T TAKE WHAT ISN'T YOURS 』
γ€Ž forty-two : BLUE IS THE COLOR OF HER. 』
γ€Ž forty-three : ONE LAST HORRAH ! 』
γ€Ž forty-four : WHITE FLAG. 』
γ€Ž forty-five: KEEPING UP WITH THE QUILEUTES EP 2. 』
γ€Ž forty-six : IDES OF MARCH. 』
γ€Ž forty-seven : C(OLD) ONES. 』
γ€Ž forty-eight : BRING HOME the RAREST FLOWER. 』
🌻epilogue pt ii: AFTER THE FLOWER WILTS.🌻
🌺( alternate ending : THE FLOWER BLOOMS ) 🌺
ΰΌΊβ˜†ΰΌ» Please Read ΰΌΊβ˜†ΰΌ»

γ€Ž seventeen: SOMEONE'S FALL. 』

13.1K 670 363
By wulfhall

chapter xvii: SOMEONE'S FALL.  』

WHEN THE CULLEN'S DIDN'T SHOW UP AT SCHOOL for a few days, June knew as well as she knew what socks she was wearing, that something wasn't right. Each day that passed — four days to be exact — the air seemed warmer and more thick and Bella's anxiety, her older sister who was normally so good at sheltering emotions like that, was clearer than ever. June's routine didn't change but she was used to Bella hovering over her, only after the Cullen's had been MIA for a while Bella had ceased that. June was strangely missing that. But she rationalized that as being needy and waiting attention like always. June's mind kept repeating the events of Bella's birthday, what if they hadn't been quick enough? What if Edward wasn't thinking as clear and he let Jasper slip right through his hands and subsequently let Bella's throat be torn out? There was too many risk, but there had been since ... since June allowed herself to be friends with them.

It was a tenuous thought, though June couldn't shake it. She knew that they had kept their distance from her in the beginning before Bella's arrival for a discovery she had made months ago — Melanie Capote. A Quileute girl whom died, aged sixteen and was supposed to be married to the Quileute chief at the time, Ephraim Black. But she didn't want and stuff happened that she fled to the Cullen's of all people for safety. She wanted to become one of them, the Cullen's helped her without turning her, but she died anyway. The cherry on top is that Melanie Capote, was her ancestor, for her grandma Iris was a Blackthorn, the name the Capote family took on after their daughters untimely fate and the supposed disgrace of consorting with Cold Ones she brought upon them. The whole story seemed simple enough but the holes in the story were still there, like how Edward apparently loved her and Rosalie, too. And the fact that Melanie's name was to never be mentioned in either of their presences.

                   June sighed as she looked out the window of her bedroom, all those thoughts swirling in her head. She glanced back to the new bottle of moonshine that was visible  on the shelf of her opened closet — with a heavy heart, she shut the door to it. She pulled on her shoes and whistled lowly to Patrick Verona, who perked up at her call.

"Let's go for a walk, my man." June mumbles but he seems to understand the term of taking a walk because he bounds to the closed door of her bedroom, scratching at it. She bends down to clasp the leash on his red collar, contrasting beautifully with his chocolate-fur. "Oh, so handsome."

Patrick barks.

June opens her bedroom door, smiling as she sees her dog rush out and trot down the stairs. She follows him and sees he's sitting down waiting for her by the front door. She picks up he leash and opens it, smiling larger. They go the back of the house and into the brush of the forest — she takes in the greenish of the forest that will start to fade by the end of the month and turn all sorts of browns and oranges and yellows. Fall is coming, someone's fall, even. The chilling air is welcoming on her feverish skin and she wraps her jacket around her waist as Patrick tugs her through where he's sniffing off to. She decides to let him loose, he always knows his way anyway. He doesn't run off when she unclasps his leash and instead stays by her side, at her pace, taking in his surroundings the same way she is. June's marveling at the soil and it's color and how she'd might paint something like it later when she hears a crack of a branch. Patrick growls lowly, she looks up, frowning.

                 Edward's there, standing before her, wearing the same suit he had been at her sisters birthday party. He looks unkempt, like he hasn't slept on days. But he doesn't sleep anyway so that wasn't much of an analogy. Patrick gets bored of growling and goes off in her line sight, sniffing around.

"Juniper." He greets, his voice low.

"Hey," June blinks. "What are you doing here, Bella's been worried sick—"

"I'll talk to her when she gets out of work," Edward says as if he knew what she was gonna say, but he probably did. "But I needed to see you, to talk."

June nods slowly, seeing a somberness that she can't explain in his eyes.  "Okay? Talk." She tells him.

Edward puts a hand in his pocket, shifting his stance. He looks down before he says, "Is there anything you'd like to say, first?"

She blinks a bit, glancing to see Patrick Verona nipping at the squirrel that was on the tree nearby, "No, not really. There isn't much to say ... I mean, things could've happened but they didn't and we move on." She says. "It's not really my place to suggest Bella and you have some time away from each other and a world we have no business in."

"It is your place," Edward counters. "I've risked Bella's life, and yours, far too many times already. Keeping my distance prior was the main thing I should've done, it was selfish of me to ignore the past and all its consequences."

June took a breath, "You mean ... Melanie?"

Edward glances up to her finally, his golden eyes piercing her in place, "Yes. Melanie," He utters, straining. "History repeats itself and I won't make anyone suffer through it again — it's why my family and I are leaving. You won't see us again. We won't call. Bella will be safe and you can rest easy knowing that I'm not here to put you both in danger anymore."

June let's a breath leave her lips. "Edward, that's not — I didn't say that in spite or anything, its for Bella. I don't think you're a danger but—"

"You do." He cuts off, his posture straightening. "I heard your thoughts and you're completely right. This world ... it was wrong of me to bring you and Bella into it."

June was scared now, he was talking about leaving and if anything showed from Bella's behavior these passed few days, she wouldn't handle it well, "But it was our decision — we chose this, what happened with James, I fixed it, I killed him. And Jasper ... you said it yourself, he's new to your family and it'll take time—"

Edward blinks, his brows furrowing together. "Now I have to make a decision of my own — this is last you'll ever see me. I'm sorry this has gone on for so long, Juniper, truly."

June doesn't move a muscle. "Edward, you're not making sense, okay? You can't just leave, like we never existed and you never met us. Bella needs you, she loves you, you love her." June was rambling now, but for some reason, the thought of Edward leaving was terrifying to grasp.

"I do love her, so I won't be selfish. Understand its best this way. What happened yesterday, should have never been a problem, had I been normal — human." Edward says grimly, a faraway look in his eyes. "Bella shouldn't be with a murderer; she needs someone who can give her a life, a human life, someone to make her happy."

      "You're not a murderer, Edward." June says, shaking her head in disbelief.

He only smiles at her, like she's a child who doesn't understands. "Isn't this what you wanted? For us to stay away?" He snaps, his eyes suddenly guarded.

June scoffs, narrowing her eyes. "I said time away, not for your angsty ass to up and leave with your whole family." She snaps then echoes her previous words, "You can't just leave! This will break her, you don't even know."

"Bella will be better off." He says firmly.

     June feels her palms warm, "What about Victoria? What if she comes back? I only killed James because Rosalie and Esme were there to help me — you're just leave us to die?"

June was beyond angry. Who was Edward to decide what was good for her sister? Sure June didn't want Bella as a vampire but she'd be alive ... if Victoria ever came back, June couldn't protect herself and Bella and Iris's words came in her mind, the ones that said using her power too much was causing her to dig her own grave. Another possibility of how she could die. But she'd be damned if it was Edwards actions that caused it, they deserved something for all the trauma that she had been through these months.

Edward seems to ponder her outburst but his expression remained the same. "Do you want to know the last thing I ever told Melanie?"

June stiffened and said nothing, in all honesty, she was scared to. Edward never talked about Melanie. Neither did Rosalie. In their entire friendship, she was sure Edward had only spoke about her twice — once to explain her to June and the second time to explain to Bella, when she asked if he ever loved someone before. But Melanie Capote's name was not a simple name to be uttered. Hesitantly, she shook her head to tell him she didn't.

"It was the day before she ... Alice wasn't with us at the same so we never could've known, but it was the day Melanie decided to go back to her tribe. I told her, You're what's left of my heart, if I even have one." Edward says as he's reading a book, his voice strained and his jaw clenched. "The only time I ever saw her again was when they buried her."

"I'm sorry," June says.

"This might've been different, had I stayed away," Edward says, his eyes darkened. "Had I not chose to love a girl who was life itself while I was nothing but death. She might've had children, she wanted to be a mother as Rosalie did. My actions took that future from her with the temptation of living forever."

June knows all about that argument and Edwards refusal to turn Bella he same way he probably refused Bella countless times since the accident with James. "Everyone has to die, eventually ..." She says lowly.

Edward's eyes meet hers, "Is that you're so eager to die?"

June doesn't know how he knows, but the revelation causes her to blink rapidly, the tears burning her eyes. "How do know ...?"

"I've read your mind before," Edward says simply. "Again, it's like hearing a staticky radio, but I've put pieces together since we've been friends. I know those thoughts when I hear them because I've heard them in my own head thousands of times before."

June looks down, "Yeah, well, I can't stop it." She says back, shrugging as if nothing. "It's inevitable. I was born to die."

Edward looks at her painfully. He stares are her for a moment before he goes into his pocket and pulls something out that looks similar to an aged photo — she stares down at it and then back at her. "I kept my distance from you for a reason, I said. And it wasn't only because of what I am." He explains with a voice above a whisper. "It's because of you."

June doesn't understand what he's saying until he hands her the photograph; it's aged and it looks half a century old. She doesn't know what it has to do with anything until she looks down at it and feels the pain of all the bruises on her body rage as if she's getting them all again. In the photo, old and yellow, is a girl — aged sixteen, clearly a Quileute girl, born to die, with viable bruises scattering her arms that look much worse than anything she's ever had, with the face of the reflection that June sees every morning. June is looking at a picture of herself. It's her. The picture is not in color but June knows the eyes of the girl with her face are blue. Her skim is more beautiful and richer than June's could ever hope to have but it's her. It's her. Aged sixteen, in that time, more sad and more ready to live forever than June had ever been. It's her. But not her, June's eyes fall to the caption of the polaroid photo —MELANIE CAPOTE, 1937.

                  June wants to let the photo drop but her fingers are still around them, she's crying as she looks up to Edward, shaking her head. "WhatHow? Why is she, why do I—" June struggles to find the words.

Edward looks just as pained, even more, "I don't know why. Since my family and I moved here two years ago, seeing your face, younger than what she had been and only looking more like her with time ... Carlisle didn't have a clear answer and only said you might be descendant of her, but I knew it was just God, a punishment for loving what wasn't ever mine."

June is still unable to think, "Punishment ..." She echoes softly, looking at the photo again.

"I'm sorry," Edward says this time. "I won't make another mistake like that, or have your death on me. Just ... please, make sure Bella doesn't do anything irrational." He takes a step to her and picks up her hand that doesn't hold of the photo of a dead girl, kissing it softly. "Promise me you change your mind about dying? For Bella, for your family. I've lived through the consequences of having everyone I ever loved think I'm dead. Your life is worth so much more than a headstone, Juniper. Goodbye."

June shuts her eyes as she lets the tears stream down her face and she feels his cold lips kiss her hand once more. Then a slap of air hits her and she opens her eyes to find him gone. She breathes frantically, she wants to tell him to stay; because she doesn't have a choice whether or not to die. Bella will be alone. June's going to die. She's gonna be another dead Quileute girl who's gone too soon. She's just like her. In fate, in faces, in life entirely. The realizations causes June to cry out and her dog whimpers beside her, stressed for the distress he hears in his owners crying. June falls to her knees, clutching to photo in her hand as she stares at it more and more and screams to whatever higher power has delivered such a sick and twisted fate upon her. This story isn't one of a kind, it's been told before. The pretty Quileute girl, aged sixteen, born to die and never see the future that everyone pictured for her. This changed a lot. But then nothing. She looked like her dead ancestor whom Edward loved and now didn't but was triggered because her face was on the younger sister of his girlfriend. Ex-girlfriend soon. She needed to see her grandma. She needed answers ... she needed a lot of things.

Patrick Verona came up to her, licking her cheek. She patted him softly, "Let's go home." She uttered brokenly.

He tugged her up with his teeth on her jacket, reminding her to her up. As she walked home she realizes she needed that bottle of moonshine in her closet most of all.

•—•—•—•

DEPRESSION AND OBSESSION DIDN'T MIX WELL because that was the case for June's older sister. The pit Bella sank herself in was uncontrollable. Edward leaving had caused the greatest rift in their relationship when June only thought Bella would get over him, maybe get with a senior her age who's gawking her. That wasn't the case. June had since dwelled on the fact she lost a friend who didn't even bother saying goodbye and somebody who was enamored by her face, which was, get this, not even her own face by the face of her dead ancestor some handful of decades ago. June gets out of her own funk when she realizes wallowing in her own impending death was old news. She would be good until she died. Being good meant helping her big sister. Bella was stuck, she had nightmares that were probably worse than June's, they were vocal ones, ones attached with screams that wake June and everyone else in the house up during the late hours of the night. The months come and roll on and on, from the rest of September to the month of October where June tries to be funny and dress up as Dracula, only makes things worse somehow and November was filled with June continuously trying to get some emotion from Bella about making jokes about the turkey they're eating and how Daphne might be delivering a turkey because of how big she's gotten, already about seven months, near her due date.

But the months are gone quicker than anyone can expect and June's coping, working and working and trying to keep her mind off the time she doesn't have. She doesn't want her last moments of life worrying over if her sister will die before her, but by her sisters own hands. Dinners are spent with Bella barely eating anything, or giving her food to Patrick Verona, and subsequently going up to her room with the door shutting behind her. Charlie would look at June and ask, Did you try today? And which June would sigh and nod and reply, Yup. And then that was that.

It isn't until Bella goes to the movies with Jessica after a threat from Charlie that's he's sending her to Jacksonville work Renée is where June can see it — hope. It's barely there but it's there. Bella might be able to be normal again, the ache of losing Edward might be repaired. Might.

           So, it's a Tuesday on the month of January, when they're all sitting around the lunch table and Bella speaks up causing everyone in their table to fall silent, "Hey, June?"

June, who's eating fries, perks up at the sound of her older sisters voice, "Yes!?" She squeaks out, but clears her throat when she sees Bella wince at the volume of her voice. "I mean, yeah, what's up?"

"Do you think you can ... I don't know, maybe do me some big favor?" Bella twiddles a strand of hair between her fingers, her brown hair had gotten a lot longer.

June's whole face brightens, "Of course!" She says immediately, this was the biggest progress she's gotten from her sister. "Anything, seriously. Well, there's a lot of exceptions, but yeah, most things — shoot."

Bella smiles a bit, it's so pretty. "I've got some bikes."

June blinks, "Bikes. Hmm, like bicycles?" She humors her.

"No, they're sorta dirt bikes," Bella tells her with a straight face that says she's not being sarcastic. "I saved them from the junkyard."

June nods with a smile, remembering how Jessica had called June screaming while she was at work saying that Bella had gotten on the back of random losers motorcycle at the bar near the movies. June had calmed Jessica, saying that people grieve different ways and Bella was off her rocker and Jessica said yeah that's true and then she hung up after asking if it was okay to pursue Mike which June practically sighed in relief to hear, saying, sure ride him till you break him.

"And here's the favor, I was wondering if you could maybe take them down to Jacob." Bella says to her.

            At that, everyone listening in their conversation, muttered their own words, something along the lines of June's little date to prom last year and stuff. Mike had been chugging the spiked punch and had Tyler holding him upright the entire night as he saw his ex laugh and dance with the good-looking guy from the Reservation.

"Jacob Black?" Lauren asked with a smirk.

"No, Jacob Greene." June scowled at Lauren.

"Well, I know Jacob and he's good at repairing stuff like that," Lauren gives her two cents, looking to Bella. "He helped my brother fix his truck."

"Oh, what a sweetheart," June sighs to the frown of Mike.

"Yeah, he fixed my truck too and I want these bikes to be in good condition like my truck is," Bella says with a nod but is looking straight at June. "Plus, Jake would be more than happy to do it for you."

June tried her best to not be bothered by the comment, she was the demon queen and had her commoners looking at her, she couldn't show emotion. "That's not that point." She shook her head and leans in which makes everyone get the hint that listening into the conversation was over. "It's dangerous, dude — and how can you even sure this will guarantee you'll see him again, Bells?"

Oh, yeah, because right after Jessica had called her screaming about Bella's reckless ride with the greasy biker dude, Bella had came rushing home and told her three words she'd never thought she'd utter, I saw him. Apparently, Edward appeared in some sort of form of an apparition of Bella's memory — so June scientifically reasoned — and now her older sister was convinced that doing dangerous things would help her see Edward.

"I know it, every time I'm in a situation, he's there, helping me." Bella says lowly, persistent. June's heart clenched at the thought of her sister being hurt but seeing her depressed again was even worse. "So, will you?"

Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, is the monologue that's playing in June's head because she had made it a deal to not see that beautiful boy for a good period of time, preferably until she died, because every time she thought about him or even said his name the pain in her heart was almost as painful as the pain of her bruises. She didn't know why Bella needed the fucking bikes but she was seemingly interested in something for the first time in months and screw her with a damn screwdriver but June would've done anything to keep that expression on Bella's face. This was a bad idea, the whole time she thought as she opened her mouth to reply, it was the worst of ideas. She's out of her fucking mind. She's dying, sue her. Seeing Jacob could be a good thing as much as it could be a bad thing. But she'd be able to visit her grandmother without her mom giving her a stink eye. And Leah and Star whom she hadn't seen in a long time ... even Lyanna, Leah's cousin who's friendship she could use at the moment. It'd be a good thing. It had to.

"Yeah, I can." June said, smiling weakly. "For you."

Bella's smile was the thing she lived for.

•—•—•

DRIVING WASN'T AS LIBERATING AS SHE HAD initially believed it to be. It was a whatever thing now, something she had been learning and doing for months with a provisional permit, courtesy of the Forks County Drivers Department. She hung the dreamcatcher Jacob had given her for her birthday on Bella's truck mirror. She drove it more than Bella did nowadays — Bella had subsequently gotten more and more out of her depression when June agreed to help her. While June drove up towards the Reservation, she left Daphne and Bella laughing and baking in the kitchen with music blasting as they made some cookies and other pastries. Sulking, June left and made the rusty crusty truck roar to life. She changed the radio when she heard two hikers have been reported missing and thought how depressing that was to hear. The rock station came on and Nirvana's Smells like Teen Spirit came up and June felt her inner Joan Jett pour out as she pulled into the Black residence.

She parked and got out of the truck, her hoodie over her head as she made her way around it. June saw as a figure poke its body out from the barn garage the Black's had and saw it running toward as her — the figure, so she realized, was Jacob. A very different looking Jacob. His bright teeth stood in vivid contrast to the deep russet color of his skin. June had rarely seen his hair out of its usual ponytail. It fell like black satin curtains on either side of his broad face. Jacob had grown far too quickly in the last few months. He'd passed that point where the soft muscles of childhood hardened into a solid, stocky build of a teenager; the tendons and veins had become prominent under the red-brown skin of his arms, his hands. His face was still sweet like June remembered it, though it had hardened, too — the planes of his cheekbones sharper, his jaw squared off, all childish roundness gone.

"June!" Jacob's excited grin greeted her. He picked her up without struggle and spun her, setting her down gently. "God, ocean eyes, where have you been? It's been ..."

"Too long," June finished, nodding in subtle shame. "I'd say I'm sorry but, I've said that too much and I don't think I even know what it means."

Jacob's smile doesn't falter, "You're here now."

"I am." June beamed. "And call me Santa because I brought presents." She laughs at his furrowed expression and goes over to the truck, yanking up the tarp that hid the bikes Bella had gotten. "Ta-da!"

"Scrap metal?" Jacob smirks. "Oh, Santa, you shouldn't have. Coal might've been better."

June grins, "Why, have you been naughty?" She laughs again at his blush and finds the flutter that had been dead in her chest bloom again. It's so easy with him. "They're from my neighbor, Bob. My sister saved from the junk yard — she wants them fixed but he told her that they're gonna cost more to fix than they're with and so she thought, if we had a mechanic type friend ..."

"Ah, that's me." Jacob cross his arms, his muscles flexing as he smiles down at her.

June tries not to look flustered, "Yup. You, sir. Um, anyway, it's so stupid and reckless but she's going through like this post-breakup mess that has her thinking stupidly and recklessly but she's talking and acting alive for the first time in months — aka, my cause of absence from here — and it's progress that I don't want to lose with her." June continues because she rambles when she's nervous. "And, we'll be better off if you didn't tell your dad who will tell mine who will tell my mom, which will be some other major dilemma I don't have time for." Literally.

Jacob looks like he's contemplating it, "I see." She knows she might need to amp up the convincing but she's halted when he says, "When do we start?"

June blinks, a genuine smile stretching on her face as she lets out a pleased laugh, "Oh my gosh, really? Wow. You're an angel. Okay, ummm, how about now?" She asks.

Jacob looks down with a smile as he nods, going over to yank the tarp up higher to get the bikes off. "Let's see these monsters," He says as he moves to grab one.

"Careful, handsome, Bob's sons had a hell of time getting them up on the truck they're actually—" June's words fell flat as she watched Jacob pick a bike up from the bed of truck with ease and set it down in front of her. "Heavy." She narrowed her eyes at him, his muscular arms and all. "Is there some like, I don't know, gym membership you're not telling me about?"

Jacob winks, "Just filling out, babe. Wouldn't seem so drastic if you came up to your roots some more." He tells her teasing, but there's something in his voice that tells her he means it.

    Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck— "How's everything going, since I've been all Houdini?" She asks, hands in her jacket pocket as Jacob pushes the bikes towards the garage. "Last time I was here, you said Embry was being all secretive and stuff."

"Still is," Jacob's face turns into a frown. "Leah's cousin, Lyanna has been pretty stubborn in trying to figure out what's his deal; they were close since she got here."

"Close?" June waggles her brows. "How close?"

"Embry thought she was hot," Jacob grinned.

"She is," June smirked.

"Embry is all dumbstruck with her now, even though he was ignoring her, but still won't say what's up with him," Jacob says confusingly. "Kinda in that weird way that Jared Cameron's all over Star Connolly, who's still dissing him even though she's allowed him to talk to her."

June frowned as she thought on that, "Ah, any word that she's threw a milkshake on him again?"

Jacob laughs, "Still bummed I never saw that. But no, although I heard Leah saying how Star might've tried to run him over with her car."

"I love one homicidal queen." June beams.

"She scares me." Jacob admits as he pulls the bike into the garage. "But they've been asking for you, Quil even more."

"Aw, I miss them too." June says, slumping in place as she looks at her surroundings. "Maybe we should do something, go cliff diving."

Jacob looks at her, smiling. "You hate cliff diving, ocean eyes." He laughs.

"Oh, better yet, here's a concept: me watch all of y'all cliff dive while I hold everyone's stuff like a soccer mom." June says with a satisfied smile.

"I think that can be arranged," Jacob grinned.

June, satisfied, nodded and saw the car that Jacob had always told her he was working on parked in the corner of the barn like garage. She pointed to it as Jacob set the bike off to the side, "Is this the Rabbit?"

"Sure is," Jacob says, wiping his hands on his jeans from the watery rust of the bikes. "Almost done, too."

June stares at it, the retro feel of it was all too aesthetically pleasing for her. Even more that she knew Jacob had repaired it from his own hands, "It's beautiful, a complete babe." She looks back at him. "Hopefully I'll be seeing it a lot when you're picking me to go places?"

"You're gonna be the first passenger, always." Jacob tells her, walking up beside her.

"I like the sound of that, handsome." June reaches up and taps his nose, beaming.

Jacob winks at her before they go over to the bike and Jacob goes over and chats with her as he takes out all the necessary tools that he had would need to take it apart. He opens the door to the Rabbit so she can sit in the seat and not on the floor and talks about how his sister Rachel wanted to come down to visit for the breaks but couldn't because she was swamped with exams and whatnot. June talked about her mom and how she was already big as a balloon with her pregnancy and how they were planning a baby shower in the next month or so after they'd find out what it is. June talks and talks and forgets the picture burning a theoretical hole in her pocket, the one that has the name of a dead girl whom June's stolen the face of. But talking with Jacob is so easy, she forgets. She loses her sense, and like all things lately, she finds she doesn't care.

Billy comes outside, rolling his wheelchair out on the porch as Jacob and she approach and seems genuinely pleased to see her, greeting her warmly, "June! It's good seeing you here, my girl. How's your mother?"

"Nice seeing you, Billy," She says and reaches to kiss his cheek. "And she's good, the baby's kicking a lot and she complains but otherwise she's great. Dad's really excited."

"Tell me about it," Billy smiles. "Think he needs a boy to take fishing and hunting with us."

June hums, "Hope so." She says genuinely pleased with the idea. It'd be terribly nice to think about.

"So, what brings us the pleasure?" Billy asks.

"I actually came to see Jacob," She admits shamelessly. "Catch up and all, I've been so busy helping my mom and Bella I'd lost track of how long it's been since I came up."

"We're glad you're here," Billy says and she knows he means it if his satisfied smile towards his son is anything. "Just in time for dinner, thinking of ordering some pizza—"

"When's the last you two have had a genuine home-cooked meal?" June pins him with her question.

Jacob laughs, "About too damn long, right pops?"

"Pizza is very much home-cooked, right down over in Forks." Billy argues with a shrug.

June smiles back shaking her head, "Let me call my parents over and Bella, tell them to bring the cookies they made while I whip up some thing for dinner, yeah?" She offers, feeling in a good mood around the familiar area of the Rez. "I don't mean to brag but Swan girls are the best cooks, it's not even misogyny, it's scientifically proven."

"Sounds great," Billy says, pleased with the idea.

In the hour that follows, some chicken in the oven is filling up the nostrils of the hungry people in the house. Charlie and Daphne come over with Bella and they all eat and chat and laugh and for the first time in a long time, Jacob smiling at her like she's the best thing since like ever, June isn't fake happy. It's a start.

note: Im,,,.,trash for this. I didn't want to spend too much time on Bella's depression and stuff because it's redundant for June and stuff and time jumps are present a lot here so yeah, read throughly to not get confused. aw, my bb firenations had her oc mentioned her, check out her books which tie into mine :—)))

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.4K 403 14
❝When you lose someone, it stays with you. Always reminding you of how easy it is to get hurt.❞ {Book 1 of Amara Brooks Series} {Jasper Hale} {Twilig...
63.5K 1K 18
. She has been through hell. So believe me when I say, Fear her when she looks into a fire An...
1.8K 87 10
I must've done something wrong to be left so lonely. Twilight / Paul Lahote screamstu, 2023
117K 1.8K 35
Loyalty can either save you or kill you.