The Second Princess [indefini...

By starryrubyskies

[indefinite hiatus - check message board for more details] There are millions of Outrealms. Some based on the... More

PART ONE: The Second Princess
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Intermission [Explanation]
Intermission [Q&A with Me!]
Intermission [Fun Facts/Deleted Scenes]
PART TWO: The Stories After
The Second Chance | 1
The Second Chance | 2
The Second Chance | 3
The Second Chance | 4
The Second Chance | 5
The Second Chance | 6
The Second Chance | 7
The Second Chance | 8
The Second Chance | 9
The Second Chance | 10
The Second Chance | 11
The Second Chance | 12
The Second Chance | 13
The Legend's Return
A Father's Protection
Twisted Fates | 1
Twisted Fates | 2
Twisted Fates | 3
Twisted Fates | 4
Twisted Fates | 5
Twisted Fates | 6
Twisted Fates | 7
Twisted Fates | 8
Twisted Fates | 9
Twisted Fates | 10
Twisted Fates | 11
Twisted Fates | 12
Twisted Fates | 13
Twisted Fates | 14
Twisted Fates | 15
Twisted Fates | 16
Twisted Fates | 17
Twisted Fates | 18
Twisted Fates | 19
Twisted Fates | 20
Twisted Fates | 21
Twisted Fates | 22
Twisted Fates | 23
Pandemonium - Part One
Pandemonium - Part Two
Before The Storm
Dark Heart | 1
Dark Heart | 2
Dark Heart | 3
Dark Heart | 4
Dark Heart | 5
Dark Heart | 6
Dark Heart | 7
Dark Heart | 8
Dark Heart | 9
Dark Heart | 10
Dark Heart | 11
Play By The Rules
A Taste of Ylissean Life
To Kid or Not to Kid
The Future Past | 1
The Future Past | 2
The Future Past | 3
The Future Past | 4
The Future Past | 5
The Future Past | 6
The Future Past | 7
The Future Past | 8
The Future Past | 9
The Future Past | 10
The Roster
Operation Magic Arrow
Lost In History | 1
Lost In History | 2
Lost In History | 3
Lost In History | 4
Lost In History | 5
Lost In History | 6
Lost In History | 7
Lost In History | 8
Lost In History | 9
Lost In History | 10
Lost In History | 11
Lost In History | 12
Lost In History | 13
Lost In History | 14
Lost In History | 15

Chapter Thirty

285 12 1
By starryrubyskies

I don't own Fire Emblem.

...

Diana ran her fingertips across the books, looking for something, something to answer her doubts about who she truly was.

She traced a title on one of the books. "Brands of Plegia," She murmured, and then snatched the book off of the shelf.

Opening it, she sat down, continuing her search for answers.

...

"Checkmate."

"Blast cousin! Your mind is too powerful against my own!"

Diana raised an eyebrow as Owain collapsed on the table, which held the chess pieces. Morgan smirked confidently, leaning back on his chair.

"You know you could have just moved the queen here and the rook there, and you could have easily taken my king, right?" the tactician said, and Owain lifted his head up for one second before dropping it on the table again. The chess pieces clattered, and a few pieces turned over.

"I have failed my honor and glory!"

Diana giggled and whacked his head lightly with her book. "Relax, Owain. You went up against Morgan. He lost his memories, not his skill."

Severa, who was sprawled on the ground nearby, snorted. "As if he could ever get that through his thick skull. I'd honestly have no idea how he gets through his day."

"Then why did you start courting him?" Cynthia asked curiously from where she was huddled in the corner.

The girl being questioned narrowed her eyes. "Shut your mouth."

"Weird as it may be, those two seem very...er, comfortable with each other," Diana blinked as she settled on her window seat, curling up and opening her book.

Most of the future children were gathered here in her bedroom to hang out at, at Diana's suggestion as a way to calm the tense air before the storm. Yarne was missing, which was no surprise, but what really confused Diana was that Lucina and Inigo had not showed up as well.

Diana flipped through the book, turning to the page she was on. She was on chapter twelve, and though it had already been a day since she started, she still couldn't get any progress. She couldn't discover the origin of the tattoo, no matter where she looked.

Anxiety pricked her skin. It had been three days since they had arrived back in Ylisse, and there was no success on the search for the final gemstone. Not to mention that she hadn't been receiving any nightmares either, which should have been a relief, but it made her nervous instead.

She nearly jumped when Laurent appeared behind her, peering at the text with perched glasses. "My, Diana, what are you looking for? All I see of you these days is with your nose stuck in that book."

The princess quickly snapped the book shut loudly. "You're the one buried in books all day." she murmured, hiding the title between the covers of her dresses. "It's just basic research. Nothing important."

"Ya just researching random stuff?!" Brady asked, rolling his eyes as he worked to clean his staff. "You've always been mysterious, but this is taking it to another level."

"Leave her alone," Nah said quietly, sitting cross legged on the ground. "It's none of our business."

"It damn is!" Brady snapped. "She's our friend, and we're all worried about her, ya know?"

Diana gave him a tight smile. "...let's not worry about it, okay? I think I can handle a little bit of privacy."

"Says the girl who let us in her bedroom to 'let us relax', or so she says." Gerome grumbled, leaning his head against the wall and crossing his arms. "I don't think this is quite the time to be relaxing when we might be visiting clear misfortune soon enough."

"Don't be so down, Gerome," Cynthia rolled her eyes. "Besides, they're searching for the gemstone as we speak. It's called trying."

Gerome scoffed. "Start succeeding."

"Alright, let's not fight now," Kjelle, who had been silent up till then, held her hands up. "Diana's right though - we need to just take a day off for once."

Owain muttered a few things under his breath.

"I do have to say though," Laurent began. "I am concerned for our progression with the goal. How far are we to succeeding?"

"Not very far," Severa groaned. "The lazy bastards are taking forever on trying to find one stupid gem!"

"It's not that easy, Severa," Nah scolded. "Even if we do find whoever has it, we don't know if they're just going to willingly give it over."

Diana rubbed the back of her brand as she leaned backward, looking out of the window. "I wish things were less complicated," she sighed.

"Alina's been trying as hard as she can, as is the rest of the councilors," Morgan informed them. "But no one's stepping up and handing over the gemstone."

"Ya just gunna expect them to hand it over to ya on a silver platter?" Brady rolled his eyes.

"True, but it shouldn't be taking this long," Kjelle stated. "After all, the Ylissean council is known for their questions and immediate answers."

Gerome narrowed his eyes under his mask. "And yet they didn't have the courage to stand with us in battle."

"Would you stop being so bitter over that?!" Severa snapped, sitting up. "It wasn't their fault that we almost got killed!"

Diana slammed her book on the wall, releasing a huge THUMP and startling the wits out of everyone. Owain fell out of his chair in surprise.

Diana took a deep breath. "All of you need to stop fighting over ridiculous matters," she said, her eyes averted to the ground. "For it's not going to help at anything. Understood?"

Wide eyes started at the princess as she collapsed back onto the window seat, leaning her head against the wall with her eyes closed.

There was a moment of utter silence.

"Diana?" Morgan asked timidly.

The beauty sighed. "Yes, Morgan?"

"...you're not mad at us, are you?"

There was a pause before she looked at him, smiling. "No...I think I might just be stressed like the lot of you. But well...arguing about isn't going to help matters, is it?"

"No," Kjelle said quietly.

"Good." The princess adjusted her circlet. "Now, has anyone seen Lucina and Inigo? If they're running this late, then there must be something going on."

As soon as she finished saying that, the door opened, and in walked a love-struck Lucina and Inigo, with laced hands, Lucina's head on his shoulder. They froze when they saw the company staring at them with wide eyes, and immediately flushed a bright red.

"We-we can explain," Lucina stuttered.

Diana stood up, crossing her arms with a smug look on her face. Then she turned to the other children and held out a hand.

"Pay up."

Grumbling, they all tossed coins at her while Lucina and Inigo stared at them with open mouths.

...

Alina rubbed her temples together, feeling a headache forming as she leafed through different reports strewed across the desk. "Sightings of the Gemstones," she murmured the title under her breath before skimming it lightly. Groaning, she tossed the paper across the table and leaned back on her desk. "This is utterly futile," she mumbled.

The sounds of footsteps echoed into her office and she looked up to see a squire approaching her quickly with a new stack of papers. "Here are your requested documents, Supreme Councilor."

Alina smiled weakly at the squire. "Thank you, you are dismissed."

Bowing, the squire slipped out and the door shut behind him with a loud thud.

Alina had a strong urge to throw herself off of the balcony. She ran a hand through her honey colored hair. "This is not what I should be doing at thirty two years old," she muttered quietly.

A few minutes later, she finally lifted her head from the bizarre thoughts racing through her head, and her blue eyes drifted to the new stack on her desk. Reluctantly, she reached out and dragged it across her desk.

The first few words caught her eye.

Plegia's Involvement with Gemstones

Alina raised an eyebrow at the title. Sighing, she picked up the stack of papers and leafed through it.

'This should be interesting.'

When she finally finished five hours later, her eyes were wide with shock.

...

Robin rubbed her head lightly as she flipped through the pages of her book. It was nighttime, but she wasn't going to get any sleep soon. She was not only busy with finding the final Gemstone for the awakening, but trying to solve more of Diana's situation as well.

The beauty, luckily, hadn't been having any attacks lately, but Robin was still concerned for the wellbeing of her future daughter. Though the princess had tried to reassure her parents plenty of times, Robin had indirectly noticed her slightly bloodshot eyes.

It may have slipped through Chrom's vision, but she knew that exact look from her own experiences.

They were both having nightmares.

She almost snapped her quill at the thought of last night's nightmare. It was the same damn one over and over again. The horror she felt when she impaled Chrom, the look in his eyes when he fell over, lightning tearing through his stomach.

"This...isn't your fault..."

Her eyes closed for a second, as she tried to block out the memory of Chrom's glazed over look as he dropped to the ground. Her heart fell to her stomach, and her throat tightened.

Was that going to be her fate? To be Chrom's killer?

Lucina's voice rang through her ears.

"Only rumors...I was told you fell in a great battle fought to sway your destiny. And that you were murdered - betrayed by someone dear to you."

Her breath hitched. 'No...'

"Are you still up at this time?"

Her head snapped up, and she came face to face with her husband. She gave him a weak smile, trying to erase the thoughts from her head from her time behind. "Chrom, you're done with your daily tasks?"

"Work finished earlier than I expected." He leaned over and gave Robin a kiss. "And what is my beautiful wife doing?"

Robin silently pushed away all the research on Diana's condition slightly. "Working," she said cheekily. "I'm still trying to discover where the last Gemstone could possibly be. It's tough work. There's still been no sign."

"Don't overwork yourself." Kissing her lightly on the forehead, Chrom basically collapsed onto their bed, sighing. Robin perched an eyebrow at him, blowing out the candle near her desk and standing up. "I know that face," she said lightly, settling down next to him and lacing her hand with his. "'Dueling with unpleasant thoughts,' are we?"

Chrom let a smile tug on his lips. "You know me well, Robin." There was still a look of confliction on his face, one that didn't fade away. There was a momentary silence.

Robin knocked on her mind, trying to find something to say. Then she shifted in her seat, her eyes bright with a smile on her face. "Hey, remember when Lissa first brought me here? When I met all the Shepherds?"

Robin giggled lightly. "And Sumia...haha! Oh what a day." She looked down at their intertwined hands. "...Actually, that's my first memory, in a way."

She squeezed his hand lightly, her eyes full of cheer and good news as if they weren't pondering over her and her husband's fate nearly a few minutes ago.

Chrom laughed lightly, reaching his other hand to stroke her snowy white hair. "Heh, I suppose so." His mind flittered to different things - more serious topics. "I wish all our memories since could have been as joyful."

Robin's face morphed into one full of nostalgia mixed with plenty of regret. "I know..." she sighed. "So much needless bloodshed. So many days of pain and doubt and fighting..." She leaned into his hand, and he caressed her cheek. "We would have never made it without you there to guide us, you know."

Her husband laughed, his blue eyes shining with pride, partially because of the candlelight. "Funny. I was going to say the same to you."

She giggled. "I guess we really are two halves of the same whole."

There was another silence.

"I've sent Frederick to search for Sable, the final Gemstone, this morning." Chrom said, sitting up. "And you're not the only one doing research. I've been reading more about the Awakening ritual. It seems that whoever attempts the rite must brave Naga's fire. If both body and spirit survive the agony, they are blessed with the dragon's power."

Robin pursed her lips, then opened her mouth to speak. But-

"What?! No!" A voice cried out, then paused. "Er...that is..."

Robin and Chrom exchanged glances before looking at the door. "Lucina, come in," Chrom called out.

A timid but flustered Lucina stepped through the double doors, her eyes frantic. "Father, must you attempt this?!" She demanded.

Chrom gave her a look. "Eavesdropping, young lady?"

Lucina's face faltered a bit. "Forgive me Father. I didn't intend to..." Her eyes snapped up. "I came to speak with you, but I couldn't find the right moment and -"

She stumbled over her words, clasping her hands nervously. Robin nudged her husband, and he stood up, placing a hand on her shoulder. "It's alright, Lucina." He paused. "And yes, I'll be alright too."

Lucina nodded, though seemingly unsure.

"Now," Chrom guided his daughter and beckoned her to sit between them. Lucina sat down, her mother making room and placing an arm around her shoulders. "What is it you want to talk about?" he asked.

Lucina bit her lip lightly. "Well...I came to talk about Diana."

"Diana?" Robin's brow furrowed. "What about your sister?"

"Well...she's been acting strange lately." Lucina twiddled with her thumbs. "She's always burying herself in books, and she's been acting weirdly lately."

Chrom chuckled. "Isn't that what she's always like? When she stayed with us for a year and a half, most of the time we'd find her in the library."

Lucina shook her head. "Her love for books is different. But it's the fact that she's...she's been acting differently."

"How so?"

"She's become more...agitated." Lucina began. "A bit more reckless when it comes to things. Yet she's been one of the most level headed people I've known in years."

"That is strange," Robin murmured. "Maybe the nightmares are having a bigger effect on her than we thought."

"I'm worried for her," Lucina admitted. "She's had such a hard childhood...I don't want to burden her with questions."

Chrom wrapped an arm around Lucina. "We're all worried about her. But with that selfless trait she got from her mother, she won't let anyone help her. It's exhausting."

"Hey!"

Ignoring his wife's remark, he kissed her lightly at the crown of her hair. "Now, off to bed with you. It's been a long three days, and we've got a lot to face ahead of us.

...

It started off as the usual nightmare.

Grima cackled about her as she tugged on the shackles that bound her to the ground. Swords and spears shifted in front of her face, yells and screams filled her ears, but she closed her eyes. She would not look at her family and friends.

She wouldn't.

Then a voice called out to her.

"My dear child, it isn't real."

Then the blue light was there again in all its shining glory.

It pushed against the images, enveloping her with golden swirls, signifying glory. The images began to fade away, slowly but surely, until they were just a gigantic blur of black and white.

The shackles that bounded her wrists faded with it, and then she found herself standing in the middle of an altar, in a beautiful white dress, her skin free of wounds and blood.

There was a blinding light in front of her, and then a towering figure stood before her. Glowing green hair flowed over her shoulders, pulled back with a pair of pointed ears. Endorsed in a beautiful dress of blue and white that complimented her pale, nearly white skin, a shimmering light wrapped around her gracefully in divine beauty.

Diana instantly knew who she was and dipped into a low curtsey. "Naga, it is an honor. I must give you my gratitude."

Naga looked down at her with a soft smile. "I must apologize for my own actions as well, my child. I have been blind to your suffering for a long time."

Diana's eyes widened. "My lady, you should not act so sorrowful for my situation. It is not your fault, but my own, for I have not been caring for myself well."

A soft look pierced Naga's gaze. "My. I see you are as selfless and compassionate as a daughter of the Exalted bloodline should be. You have done well."

Diana looked down at her brand, which was shining brightly. "You have my thanks, my lady, but I have not done much. All I have done is cause trouble for my family and friends."

"You have not caused any difficulty for your family other than being the source of their concern." Naga said lightly. "But I have called you here for a reason that must be discussed before you awaken in the early rays of the morning."

The princess perked up at that. "Then say it, Lady Naga. I am ready."

Naga paused for a moment, and then her gaze drifted downward. "You have...a mark on your chest, do you not?"

Diana froze for a second, then slowly nodded. She could not lie to Naga. "Yes, my lady." She pulled down on her neckline, and there it laid. The tattoo seemed to recoil at the sight of the divine deity, but she felt no pain. "Although, I do not know where the origins of it lay. Might I dare to ask why you ask of this?"

Naga sighed. "You have been looking into this tattoo for a while now, and you have been directed to the right path. The history of that tattoo, which lay on the bodies of both you and your mother, do have its roots from Plegia."

Diana's eyes widened. "Are you saying..."

"The mark you bear on your chest is the Mark of Grima, the brand of the house of Plegia, the symbol of the Fell Dragon." Naga said simply.

The shock was intensifying. Diana stumbled backward, clutching her chest, as if covering up the Brand would do her some good. The Brand of the Exalt and the Mark of Grima clashed against each other, but unusually, she felt no pain.

"My lady...I do not understand."

Naga looked like she was giving her a look of pity. "Your mother, Robin, also carries this brand as well. Through her, you are the heir of Plegia."

"...what?!" Diana breathed. Her knees suddenly wanted to give out under her.

"Listen, my dear, for our time is short." Naga was silent, then continued. "Your grandmother, Robin's mother, was the wife of Validar. She was only requested to bear an heir for one purpose - to become Grima's vessel. When your mother was born with the mark on her hand, your grandmother fled to an Outrealm, and there she raised your mother. Years later, your mother coincidentally ended up in this world - and due to a magical power surge that ran through her, one Grima had infested, she lost her memory."

"...and that's where Father found her." Diana felt sick in her stomach. "Mother is Validar's daughter...the vessel of Grima. Validar is my grandfather. She is the heir of Plegia."

Naga sighed. "That is correct. Your mother is destined to become Grima's vessel, the human body of the fell dragon."

So many thoughts were running through her mind. "...then that doppelganger-"

Naga's face was strained. "I cannot tell you that yet. But that is what you need to know before I inform you of this."

She felt stricken in her stomach. Was it possible that her mother had never truly died - but she had been taken instead by Grima?

Were she and her siblings fighting their mother all along?

If they defeated Grima...if all goes to plan, what would happen to her mother?!

Diana looked up at Naga, confliction and shock in her eye. There were so many questions she wanted to ask - answers she needed. But one particular question ran though her mind.

"...what does that have to do with me?"

Naga pursed her lips. "Though the marriage of your mother and father, it combined the sacred lineages. The blood of Grima and the exalted heritage came together, which caused chaos in the form it took."

Diana was silent, so Naga continued.

"Your sister Lucina is part of my pure bloodline. There is not a drop of Grima's heritage in her, only exalted. Your brother Morgan, however, is fully Grimleal, in a sense. But you, as the middle child -"

"I'm in between." Diana said simply, looking at Naga. "Half Grimleal, half exalted."

"That is correct." Naga seemed to avoid her gaze. "And because of it, this has caused...ripples in your existence."

Diana's eyes widened. "My lady, are you indicating that I was never supposed to exist?!"

Naga went silent, making Diana's gut twist. "Am I just an...an anatomy? A fake?"

"No, dear. You are nothing like that." Naga quickly stopped her assumptions. "In some Outrealms, you are not meant to exist. In others, you are there. But in this case, here you are."

"Excuse my rudeness, but may you please inform me?" Diana snapped lightly. "I'd like to know whether my existence means something or not."

Her eyes widened and she slapped her hands over her mouth. "My apologies."

"Don't be regretful, my child." Naga said. "I sense your pain and horror. But worry not, for it is not your fault. For since the moment you were born, the two halves of your bloodline have fought over for control. In a clash that this has created, this has made...several different effects on yourself."

Diana's eyes widened. "Like my hair. White to signify the light exalted bloodline, and black for the dark fell bloodline."

"Correct. But there is more."

Diana pondered on it for a moment. "My nightmares and attacks."

"Yes. All those have been your Grimleal heritage fighting to take control over you. But there is one specific one I'm looking for. One that you've carried with you for your entire life."

It was as if a light bulb appeared in her head. "...my magic. Is that right?"

"Correct." Naga nodded. "At your birth, the two heritages accidentally combined to take over before the other does. In doing so, there was a rush of power from both sides, and it resulted to your powers today."

"I...I see." Diana sighed and looked down. "Lady Naga...if...if I had the brand, what does Grima get out of...me?"

Naga opened her mouth to answer, but then there was a sudden warmth castrating the two. Diana shielded her eyes from rays of light that were suddenly blinding her vision. "My lady?!"

Naga simply looked up. "It seems as our time has run out. I apologize for not being able to tell you much more."

"There's...more?!"

There was only one more word that slipped from Naga's lips. "Farewell."

And the blinding light overtook her, then all went back.

...

Her eyes snapped open, and she shot up from the bed, gasping and clutching her sheets. Her eyes flew wildly over the scene, and Diana relaxed slightly when she realized that she was in her bedroom.

The morning rays of the early sunrise flew through the window, marking it as too early for the time she usually woke up. But Diana wasn't noting that for once, but for what had transpired.

The meeting with Naga...was that a dream?

She looked down, and there was her answer. The Brand of the Exalt was glowing brightly, so brightly she had to shield her eyes until it faded away.

She slipped down the neckline of her nightgown, and the tattoo seemed to correspond with the brand as well, though it seemed to be dulling quicker than the brand.

Diana struggled to catch her breath as she stumbled out of bed in a hurry. Her hair was in a frenzy for once, and she quickly ran over to it as she stumbled to her vanity. She hoped that her parents or siblings wouldn't wake up with all the noise she was making.

She took a bath to calm herself, but even the warm waters she had created did not calm her. Her mind was surrounding the thoughts of her conversation with Naga, the newly discovered information still trying to wrap around her head.

Diana remembered the last question she had asked Naga, one she was unable to answer, and the deity's lingering words.

"Lady Naga...if...if I had the brand, what does Grima get out of...me?"

"It seems as our time has run out. I apologize for not being able to tell you much more."

Her head snapped up, nearly sloshing the water out of the tub.

By the time she had dried off, she had already made a decision.

She dressed in her armor, putting on each piece, in haste but neatly, while shoving other clothing and essentials, such as money, into her satchel. She silently praised herself for winning the bet the day previously - that way, she had enough to travel for a couple of days.

Diana scrambled to get her quill and pen, and scribbled a note out quickly. Then as quietly as she could, she slipped out of her chambers, making her way to the stables.

Her Pegasus Aduro was waiting for her in the stalls. Even the horse gave her a look of confusion, but Diana shushed her as she quietly led the stallion to the outside stables.

Once Aduro was saddled and ready, Diana took her by the reins and started to lead her to the back of the castle, where she found a wooden door at the back of the wall. It was the entrance made for servants and squires to enter through quickly, and Diana had stumbled on this by accident when she was much younger. It was clearer of vines and plants, but still the same.

"Thank Naga it still exists at this time point," Diana muttered as she lead Aduro out the door. Shutting it swiftly, she leaped onto Aduro, and began to steer her to the direction she wanted to.

"Let's make a trip to Plegia, shall we?" She muttered under her breath, and the horse seemed to snort.

It was probably the dumbest decision she had ever made. But if she was unable to get the answers from Naga, she was going to get them herself.

...

By the third rapid knock, Chrom was already concerned by the whereabouts of his daughter. She had not appeared for breakfast, much to the confusion of his wife and their future children, and it was already 10 in the morning.

She should have shown up by now.

"Diana? I'm coming in." He said firmly, and with one swift tug, he threw open the door.

There was no sign of her anywhere. The bed was neatly made, the curtains fluttering lightly with the wind.

"Diana?" He echoed once more as he entered the room, looking for her. He had wanted to speak with her during breakfast, but when she hadn't showed up he had decided to come here himself.

Chrom's eyes then landed on a piece of paper, clear as day on her desk. He swiped it off, and read the contents.

To whomever will find this,

Worry not, I did not run away. Alina reported some bandit sightings early in the morning, so I have departed early to stop them. I can handle them, don't worry.

With love, Diana

Although a sense of relief filled his heart, there was something in his mind that irked him.

Something was wrong.

...

"Milord, I have returned."

Chrom looked up from where he was sorting some documents. Morgan and Robin, who were playing a simple game of chess, and Lucina, curled up in the corner with a book, glanced at Frederick as he arrived as well.

"Yes, Frederick?" Chrom stood up eagerly. "Did you find it?"

Frederick nodded. "I believe so, sire. King Validar has extended an invitation. He says Plegia has been guarding Sable, and now he wishes to return it to you."

Lucina's brow furrowed slightly.

Chrom didn't look any better. "Validar..."

Flashbacks ran through his head about the man they were speaking of, and his mood soured slightly.

"They sent word to me, milord." Frederick continued. "They must have caught wind of our search...In any case, Validar asks that you visit him in person, that he might formally present it."

Robin frowned. "That's peculiar."

"Perhaps needless to say, milord, but I don't like this one bit." Frederick's face was tight.

Chrom sat back down, leaning back on his chair with exhaustion. "Neither do I, Frederick the Wary. Neither do I."

Morgan had to hide some laughter building up at the back of his throat.

"At best, it's selfish political maneuvering at a time when the world can ill afford it." Chrom continued. "At worst, our run-in with Risen last visit was no accident...but we will meet with him. Send word at once."

Frederick looked slightly taken aback. "Milord...are you certain that's wise?"

Chrom shook his head. "No, but we haven't time to be certain...and my sister never refused a diplomatic gesture, no matter how foul smelling. If he doesn't give us the stone, he may at least reveal where it is."

Frederick still looked like he had something to say, and Chrom sighed. "Don't worry, Frederick. I'm not walking into this blindly. We will make certain everyone is armed to the teeth."

Frederick glanced at a certain shield, which lay by Lucina's side. "Then the Fire Emblem, milord - you ought at least leave it behind."

Chrom shook his head. "Unless that's what Validar expects, and he comes to steal it with my best men away...no, it's safest with me, for now. We'll learn the truth of Validar's motive soon enough..."

Frederick nodded. "Then I shall assemble a team right away."

The knight turned around, and at the same time Alina burst into the room, her pony tail flying behind her. She stopped short when she saw Frederick. "Ah. It seems like you have delivered the news before I have."

"We're doing it," Chrom stated. "It'll be a long three day march to Plegia, but we will make it. I will see where Validar's true intentions, but for now, it's our only lead."

Alina nodded. "Worry not, though. It seems as if Validar's claims for holding the Gemstone is indeed true. At least we know that part is accurate."

Chrom nodded. "Say, Alina, do you know when Diana is going to be back? I'd like to depart with my whole family together, if you do not mind."

Alina perked an eyebrow. "Diana left?"

An uneasiness filled Chrom's chest. "Yes. She said she had a mission that you assigned to eliminate bandits at a nearby town."

Alina blinked. "Milord...I never assigned Lady Diana any sort of mission whatsoever."

There were two seconds of silence.

Then things exploded.

"WHAT?!" Robin bellowed. "Are you saying Diana ran off?!"

"That...what?!" Lucina stood up in shock. "What absurd reason would make her run away now?!"

Morgan's eyes were wide. "Diana left? Why?"

Chrom's breath hitched. "Alright, everyone, calm down," he shouted, and everyone quieted. "Alina," he continued. "Send a search party to look for my daughter. As much as I'm worried for her, I have to focus on what's more at hand right now."

"Father..." Lucina looked conflicted, and Chrom sighed. "Lucina, you can join the search if you want. In the meantime, we need to get to the diplomatic meeting as soon as possible. I love your sister, but the world is at stake."

Robin looked between her husband and her daughter. Finally Lucina sighed. "I'll come with you. I trust that Diana has her own reasons for leaving - but it does not mean that I'm not worried for her. With her health and all..."

"Diana's gonna be okay, Lucy," Morgan said cheerfully. "I'm sure she didn't run off because she wanted too!"

"With that being said," Chrom sighed. "Alina, go ahead and assemble the team. "Lucina, Morgan, Robin...prepare for march. And equip as much as you can."

***

Finished October 16, 2017

I would have not made a sucky ending, but if you can tell, my sanity is slowly being lost through the chapter. That's why it's so bad. Sorry.

I am so exhausted. It's nearly nine and I'm nowhere finished with my schoolwork because I pulled too much time finishing this damn chapter (don't worry, I don't mind, procrastination is my frenemy), and I'm so mf excited.

GUYS WE'RE FINALLY APPROACHING THE CLIMAX I'M SO EXCITED UGH

Okay, I'm going to go finish my homework before my body completely gives in and collapses (seriously my whole body is numb someone save me)

Edit (November 28, 2017): Thank you for your patience, as always!

I'm close to finishing the second to last chapter for Part One and oh my god, things are happening. I've made it this far guys.

The total chapters for this part are 40, but the last chapter may be a short one, kind of acting as a prologue for Part Two. Speaking of which, I've finally gotten the structure figured out for Part Two of this fanfiction, and I'm going to explain it all in a separate chapter. Once that is out, I'll be adding some introduction/progress chapters at the beginning to make the parts flow (if it's confusing it'll make sense when I'll post it) before I take a month long break - you know, to create suspense.

Alright, that's all I've got for now, and I'll see you next week!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.9K 54 16
Formerly, "I Took In A Weakened Goddess, And Now I've Been Reincarnated In A New World" --- At that moment, I couldn't get myself to pull the trigger...
320K 13.7K 63
After an encounter with an archangel, Claire Hill, or more aptly known as the 'Ice Queen' by the rest of her peers, is sent to another world. With a...
6.5K 325 14
Lucina, daughter of Chrom the exalt, leads a path that balances herself between death and hope. As she journeys to freedom, there were obstacles. She...
7.3K 493 14
Being isekiaed into a strange world, MC tries to survive and find true love in the form of mates. Being betrayed so many times she decides to not ope...