System Failure (An Adesa Fanf...

Da stormcause

*Original book, description and plans by Littlewolf65* The year is 3021. And the world has become a technolog... Altro

The Future
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Epilogue
System Reboot!

Chapter 3

164 17 83
Da stormcause

Aaaand now this is me writing the chapters :D

Adam's POV
"Well, that was easier than normal," Ty commented as we walked away from our last job of the day.

It was late afternoon, the setting sun reflecting light off the windows of the tall buildings. My black trench coat flapped at my legs in the slight breeze, catching on my sword every now and then.

"Yeah, not a bad day at all," I said back. "Bet we got the easy ones today."

"Oh yeah, for sure."

We came up to an ordinary looking office building on our right. It was tall and clean but with no identifying markers other than a logo of a bright green orb surrounded by green and black code that was stuck next to the door. I opened the door for Ty and we went inside. The foyer had two doors, an elevator to the upper levels and a few chairs for people to sit in, with a desk pushed up against one wall. Ty and I nodded to the receptionist behind the desk then headed to the elevator. Ty breathed a sigh of relief once the metal doors closed behind us.

"I don't know why, but I always get nervous whenever we walk in here," he muttered.

I laughed and pressed one of the multiple buttons. Instantly, the elevator rapidly ascended until it stopped and opened up to a large space that was a far cry from the office below.

Pretty much, it was a tech-genius' dream. Computers, TV screens, hard drives, computer parts, coffee machines, armoury, medical ward, we've got it all. And we need to, since this is the base of the glitches in our city. It had a few rooms, the centre one being our base of operations. Large windows gave us a decent view of a few streets but they were tinted so that no one couldn't see in. Several people were walking around the base, most wearing the attire of a glitch while others were wearing casual clothes.

"Ty! Adam!" A man called.

"Hey Ian!" Ty called back.

Ian strolled up to us. Like us, he wore a dark blue t-shirt under a black trench coat that had a band of dark blue around the middle and at the end of the sleeves. He also had black pants, grey shoes and black sunglasses. His brown hair was neatly cut and his diamond sword hung at his waist. Another glitch.

"Did you get up to much today?" I asked.

"Quentin and I had a close run with a trojan, which was interesting. Destroyed most of the server, the guy wasn't too happy about that."

"That's why you're not supposed to click on those pop-up ads," Ty muttered.

"What about you guys?"

"Took out two worms and a trojan at Sparkles Tech and a few routine checks," I said. "Just the usual deal."

While we caught up, we walked through the base to the unofficial hangout room. Several other glitches were relaxing here, their work finished for the day. There was Quentin lounging on the couch in his light-blue-and-orange colour scheme, talking to Barney (wearing a purple and green trench coat), Mitch (red and black colour scheme) playing cards against his partner Jerome (red, black and white scheme) and Ross fiddling on his phone in his light grey and white trench coat. Mitch glanced up when we approached them.

"Hey Ty, Adam. How's it going?" he asked, turning his attention back to his game.

"Not too bad," Ty said. "What are you guys playing?"

"Blackjack," Jerome answered, not taking his eyes off his cards.

"Are you betting?" Ross asked suddenly, looking up from his phone.

"The loser has to buy the winner lunch tomorrow," Mitch said, picking up.

"Anyway, did you guys get up to much today?" I asked the group.

"Barney and I got two worms, twice," Ross said, putting away his phone in his coat. "It felt like deja vu actually."

Jerome suddenly gave a shout of excitement and put down his winning hand of cards on the table. "You owe me lunch!" he half-yelled to Mitch, then continued in a much more normal tone while Mitch sighed in annoyance. "Mitch and I had, like, six different jobs today, it was crazy."

"And we had one spyware too," Mitch added, packing away the cards.

Spyware were a very tricky kind of virus, and hard to spot. They would hide in the background of your computer, gathering information like passwords, browsing habits and bank details. They were similar to trojans, but they couldn't disguise themselves like trojans could. Instead, they ran and hid, so to get rid of them you had to play hide and seek, which was more than a little irritating.

"Have you guys checked in with Jin and Jason yet?" Quentin asked.

"I'll do that," I offered.

Jin and Jason were sitting where they usually were; at a long desk filled with fancy multi-screened computers and TV monitors showing footage of several places around the city, mainly because it looked cool. There were several others sitting further down the desk, each with a black headset and mic on. These guys are a glitch's 'eyes in the mainframe', if that made sense. Without them sitting here, telling us where the viruses were and repairing the firewalls, all of us glitches would be dead.

There were a team of about 7 of them but only a few were sitting at the desk at the moment. I knew a few of them by name and all of them by sight. The two down the end were cousins, both with bright red hair. The girl kept her hair back with a white headband and the guy wore a long sleeved back shirt with a small golden necklace. The two others who were sitting down, Jack and Mark, had the tops of their black hair dyed green and red respectively.

Jin, wearing his usual purple-and-white jumper, was watching lines of code that ran across his screen, faster than I could process but it obviously meant something to him because he nodded to himself every now and then. Jason with his light blue, dark blue and orange clothes was sitting next to him, doing something techie that I couldn't understand. These two led the team as well as running our base of operations. Jason spun around in his wheely-chair as he heard my footsteps.

"Hey Adam!" he said cheerfully, taking off his headset and putting it around his neck. Jin glanced up at me, grinned and then went back to looking at the code.

"Hey Jason," I said back. "Thanks for the warning earlier today with that trojan. I was about to lose my head."

"Haha Adam, very funny," Jason said in a not-so-funny tone.

"Sorry, I had to."

"You and Ty got back alright?"

"Yeah, we just had that crazy lady at the end of the street calling about the end of the world and stuff like that."

"What is her problem?" Jin muttered to himself.

Jason grinned, put on his headset again and tapped his mic twice. "Hey Seto, how's it looking?" he asked into the mic.

I heard a voice saying back from the headset "Well I can confirm that that email about the free coupon to a spa bath does not have a virus in it. But I've also figured out that the place that's giving away that coupon isn't all that great, you're better off going to the place next door."

I grinned. Trust Jin to make an AI that has a sense of humour.

"I'll keep it in mind," Jason said. "Did any virus try to get in today?"

"Nope." This was a different voice, slightly lower than the first one. "Third virus-attempted-attack-free day in a row."

"Hey Brice," I said into the mic. Well, the outside of the mic, but it still worked.

"Is that Adam?"

"Yup."

"Hey Adam! Seto, it's Adam."

"Oh, hey Adam! How are you going?"

"Good, good. What about you guys?"

"Same as always."

Seto and Brice are two Artificial Intelligences that Jin made to better protect our server. They live inside the mainframe and they're a lot more human than the AI's that were around several decades ago. With them looking after our base, we can all concentrate on taking out viruses.

"Seto, Brice, I'm gonna take a break," Jason said. "Jin will still be here. I think he's spying on someone again."

"Am not!" Jin said, clearly able to hear the entire conversation through his headset. "I'm looking at the algorithm outputted by the city hall's system."

"Anyway, have a good night guys," Jason said, shutting down his computer and taking off his headset. "Man, that was a long day."

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerĂ  anche

487 22 11
Adam and Alesa are a happy couple expecting a baby boy. They have a nice house in Minecraftia. Nothing could go wrong. Nothing at all. Then again, w...
1K 185 54
Before the fall of Earth humanity built a great colony ship, ten thousand of the colonist left Earth for a hundred year journey to Gillespie. They ca...
1.4K 36 9
First book I am working on and some parts will be rewritten as the book slowly gets longer so the early parts can enjoyable Now the lore. WARNING al...
7.3K 433 126
" The world had placed a sword with two edges in the humans' hands. One edge can cut down evil, the other harms peace..."... ********** After Adam an...