Half Wylde | Book 1

By SabrinaBlackburry

Half-blooded Wren escapes her old life among humans to go live with the fae. After a warm welcome, Wren slowl... More

Author's Intro
One: Ashes to Ashes
Two: Flee
Three: Fear
Four: Danger
Five: Cleansing
Six: Clean
Seven: New Purpose
Eight: Friends
Nine: The Wyldes
Ten: Acceptance
Eleven: Thanantholl
Twelve: Pearl Street
Thirteen: Dress to Impress
Fourteen: The Autumn Palace
Fifteen: Royalty
Sixteen: Small Truths
Seventeen: Vast Knowledge
Eighteen: Schula
Nineteen: Eberon's Home
Twenty: Spring
Twenty Two: Smoke and Quartz
Twenty Three: A Picnic
Twenty Four: Interesting
Twenty Five: Leaving
Twenty Six: Practice
Twenty Seven: The Upper Hand
Twenty Eight: Tea
Twenty Nine: A Different Opinion
Thirty: Dinner
Thirty One: Fire
Thirty Two: Pain
Thirty Three: Relief
Thirty Four: Winter Lands
Thirty Five: Icehold
Thirty Six: Darkness
Thirty Seven: Company
Thirty Eight: Light
Thirty Nine: A Friend
Forty: Lark
Forty One: Patience
Forty Two: Survival
Forty Three: Mila's Cabin
Forty Four: Witchlights
Forty Five: Another Piece of the Puzzle
Forty Six: Finding Schula
Forty Seven: Fire and Ice
Forty Eight: A Bond
Forty Nine: With You Or Not At All
Fifty: Together
Fifty One: One Last Push
Fifty Two: An Adventure Ahead

Twenty One: Caldon

14.2K 1.1K 114
By SabrinaBlackburry

The summons came within the hour in the form of a satyr in royal colors. Fed, dressed up, and faces washed, Schula, Eberon, and I walked down the main hall to meet the King. Fae flowed into the hall from every corner. They seemed to be on business somehow, but not in any hurry to do it. One tree nymph sauntered down the hall with a basket of flowers. She stopped to place one in my hair before smiling and wandering off again. 

The difference between Thanantholl and Dwellonmar ran deeper than it's architecture. There was none of the hurry and busied air that the Autumn lands held.

"Finally," Eberon huffed as we reached a grand doorway. He gave our names to the little herald by the guards and we were promptly led through the door.

"Lord Eberon and Lady Schula." They walked forward to bow before a bearded copper fae on the throne at the back of the hall. He was on no dais like King Baeleon kept, but instead of commanding it alone he was surrounded by fae lounging on cushions on the floor. Lutes played from all four corners of the room in unison, and several sprites danced from wall to wall and back again.

"The youth, Wren, of the southern mountains." The herald announced me just as he had Eberon and Schula, so I followed suit and bowed for the king.

"Stand!" King Diamid commanded in a light, mirthful voice. His court was all smiles, and I noticed an identical pair of green eyes watching me from cushions near the foot of the throne. I smiled and they looked at each other with a mischievous grin. The twins.

"Come, sit or stand or dance if you will." The king sat up straight in his throne. "We have things to discuss, yes?"

He gave two quick claps and the music stopped. The court scurried to remove the cushions from the floor. Three chairs were brought near the throne for us, and the courtiers took up positions around the walls, chatting among themselves, and some still danced. I didn't see where the twins had disappeared to in the commotion.

"Thank you for seeing us on such short notice Majesty." Eberon bowed and took a seat. "Our deepest condolences to your court, and a letter from his Majesty King Baeleon."

Eberon handed the sealed letter from his breast pocket to a guard, who looked it over before handing it to his king. Diamid broke the seal and read it right there.

"Ah, Baeleon did always flower his words. A nice sentiment though." He put the letter in his own pocket. "A sad business, Galavan's passing. His triquetram is understandably shaken up about it."

A pang shot through my heart. Galavan had managed to actually find all of his triquetram, and now their bond was broken. Two more fae would wear those cold black rings.

"We will attend the ceremony of course, to pay respects." Eberon said. "I understand it will be tonight?"

"Yes. We feast here after the family speaks, then as you are ready the farewells can be done at the top of the steps on the north side."

"Quite an honor." Schula whispered. "Your Majesty is kind."

"Galavan has served this court well for centuries. He will be missed." Diarmid sighed. "But the mourning is for later, for now I would like to show Wren here some of my fair city."

Eyes shifted to me. "Thank you, Majesty."

"Caldon will attend you through the streets. Give you a small taste of Dwellonmar, and I hope you will stay as long as you wish. I insist at the very least that you are here for the Spring Equinox."

"I may come and go before then, but I will do my best to be here for such a special time." Eberon had coached me on what to say, if this particular offer came about. It seemed to please the king greatly.

"Well said young one, well said." He sat back in his chair. "I have much to prepare before sunset, but Caldon will take care of your every need. Will you join me tomorrow for lunch? We are having a picnic, Caldon can lead you to it."

"Yes, Majesty." I gave a small bow from my chair. "Thank you."

"Very good." He smiled, pleased. "Caldon, please escort our guests."

"Yes, Sire." Caldon had been standing somewhere on the back wall, but I hadn't noticed him until that moment. He bowed for his king, and offered me a hand from my chair. I looked at Schula and Eberon, who nodded.

"Thank you." I told him as he assisted me. Eberon extended the same courtesy to Schula.

"Thank you, your Majesty." Eberon and Schula bowed, I did the same. "We will see you tonight."

"Caldon, take good care of them." The king nodded and clapped, resuming the music and merriment.

"This way." Caldon took us out of the great hall and towards our rooms. "Would you like to go back to your rooms for now? Or I can lead you to the front door. Wren, his Majesty asked me to show you Dwellonmar, is that alright with you?"

"Actually we have business in town." Schula said. "Show us the front door, and we can all get a look."

"Very well." Caldon smiled and bowed. "I am at your command."

We were taken down the main hall, though we didn't need directions out. It was a straight path to the front double doors where the sunlight beamed down on the warm steps outside. Fae lounged on them, some braiding hair and some making flower crowns.

"I was thinking of taking Wren to the Fountain of Faith first, unless there are objections?" He looked at me with his big lazy eyes, smiling. Always smiling. Schula smiled, Eberon only had a fake smile to impress people, and Thain rarely smiled. I wasn't sure what to make of Caldon, but he reminded me of someone.

"Wren, Eb and I have business at the markets." Schula grabbed my hand and squeezed. "You're in gread hands with Caldon, and it is his job to show you Dwellonmar. Go with him."

"Are you sure?" I did want to see the city, but I hadn't been away from the three that found me since I arrived in the Wyldes.

"Absolutely." Eberon said. "Besides, we have boring errands, you go have fun. It isn't your job to do the King's shopping."

"Alright." I squeezed Schula's hand back, and let go. "I'll see you tonight?"

"Of course." She smiled and nodded at Caldon. "She comes back in one piece or I send you home tonight in pieces yourself."

"Duly noted, Lady." Caldon winked at me. "Shall we?"

He offered me an arm, something I saw a lot of the Spring court do. I looped my arm through his as I had seen others do, and we started down the steps.

"Tonight then." Caldon bowed his head to the others and they went another way. I was well and fully at Caldon's mercy, and my stomach wasn't quite sure how to take that.

~

Caldon hadn't relinquished my arm since he took it on the steps. We certainly drew eyes, but the fae in the Spring lands had a different feel to them. Instead of socialites, tradesmen and party goers, I felt lazy days on a warm hillside, or dancing in a mountain spring. I received more than just stares, I received smiles, and whispers, and several times flowers. Caldon seemed to know everyone by name.

"The Fountains of Faith were built for the coronation of our first king, Vrahn." He said as we approached a large courtyard. "There really isn't any history behind it other than that, but it's a popular spot for an outing."

"Will it be crowded then? Maybe we should come back another time." The crowds were definitely waning on me.

"No, now is as good a time as any to see it with few others around. Many are preparing for tonight." We rounded a corner and at the end of the path I could see it. "Besides, we're here."

I walked ahead, staring at the fountain. Carved from some sort of black stone, streaks of crystal ran through it, illuminating the sun overhead. It depicted hundreds of stars, shooting this way and that. In the pool below, in the center of the swirling stars, was a spray of water that glinted as drops fell all around the sculpture. "It's lovely."

"Yes, it is lovely. But more importantly, my favorite sweet shop is on this corner, wait here." He left me in the shade of an olive tree and swept away to a store nearby. I was content to watch the fountain. No one was bothering me, and it was mesmerizing. Eventually, Caldon came back with a small paper box.

"Candied cherries, you must try them." He opened the box to reveal a pile of shining cherries, like a fortune of rubies coated in syrup. "Please, females first."

"Thank you." I gingerly took one and popped it into my mouth. It barely hit my teeth when it burst open, flooding me with warm cherry and honey and I didn't know what else.

"Delicious, right?" He took one for himself and snapped the box shut. "But there will be more of that later. Let's see, where else can I enchant you in Dwellonmar?"

"Enchant me?" I looked at him sharply.

"Well, yes." He winked. "Oh I'll follow my king's orders, but I consider escorting a lovely young female a definite perk to the job. Ah, and that tells me just where to go. Come on!"

He offered an arm again, and I hesitated a moment before taking it. He talked too fast, and his words were too smooth. I'd watched his kind among the humans too. The handsome young men who would talk sweet words to get you in his bed. But never had those tricks been used towards me, and it flustered me to have that sort of attention at all. Some part of me didn't care though, and I smiled despite everything, loping my arm through his.

"Where exactly are we going?" I asked.

"Somewhere!" He grinned and we took off. Smiles and waves followed us as he twisted and turned me through the streets. Spices hit my nose, and more fresh flowers, and smoke. I actually giggled as we turned into the open markets to see colorful tents and stands all around us.

"I can't let you leave Dwellonmar without buying you something to wear." He led me through a row of fabrics outside a large building. "Let's see, fawn skin, chestnut freckles, smokey eyes. This one!"

He pulled out a pale peach dress. The style was light as a breeze and similar to many I had seen throughout the city already. My arms would be left bare but the fabric would flow down my body and to the floor. "Would you honor the Spring court by trying on a piece of our craftsmanship?"

His soft hands brushed a stray lock of hair from my face and heat rushed to the surface. He looked like a damn puppy right now. I couldn't say no.

"Of course." I had barely uttered the words when an attendant from the shop pulled me into a dressing closet and helped me into it. We tucked the pant legs into my boots and she stuck a bluebell in my braid before practically pushing me out the door to Caldon.

"Beautiful!" He beamed. "Wren, will you accept this as a token of good will from my people?"

"I, I guess, but-"

"No buts, this is me doing my job. I've shown you a landmark, our markets, our fashion, let me think. Oh, the lake." He paid the attendant and asked for my clothes to be sent to my room at the palace. Then, we were off again.

He was warm. The fresh air of the Spring lands was a sharp contrast. His constant smile and childish nature pulled me all over Dwellonmar. I definitely felt the touch of Spring wherever we went. 

We sat by a lake and listened to minstrels in a square. We saw art and watched artisans at work. Caldon seemed to know the moment I needed to rest, and when I needed to stand in the shade. And when he was finally done with me, we walked back to the palace, and he took me straight to my door.

"I'll come for you tomorrow just before midday." He winked.

"Tomorrow?" I asked. "Oh, yes the picnic. I'll see you then."

He nodded and I slid into the rooms. Eberon and Schula were nowhere in sight, so I went to lay on my own bed for what time I had left until the ceremony. On the neatly lain linens I found my clothes, a box of candied cherries, and a silver necklace with a smokey quartz set into it.

For your eyes, never forget the adventures you've seen.

-Caldon

And in that moment, when my heart thudded and my breath caught, I knew I was in trouble.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1K 90 14
.:True love... but make it fated:. Queen Serena of the Vale's idyllic world was shattered by her parents' tragic and unexplained disappearance, leav...
1K 53 11
[LEGO NINJAGO FAE & FAERIES!AU] At first it doesn't seem like much of a good thing. But in time, it feels like stepping off the path into Fair Folk-i...
312K 14.8K 58
All Emelie has ever been told is never to cross the border that separates the Fae and human lands, especially after her mother was murdered during a...
198K 17K 44
A teen is stunned to discover he's half-vampire. Will being asexual-aromantic thwart bloodlust, or are there other emotions strong enough to trigger...