Thirty Two: Pain

The trotting of a horse is a distinct sensation. It bounced me up and down, back to front, and I was vaguely aware that I must be tied to the saddle. I certainly would have fallen off by now otherwise. Odd, that I would be tied to a horse, when my last memory was blacking out in Eberon's home.

The light against my eyelids was bright and I didn't think I'd enjoy the light just yet. Instead of looking around, I used my other senses. Wherever I was, it was cool. Even Thanantholl in it's perpetual crisp air was warmer than this. My tongue was dry as a bone and stiff. I hadn't had anything to drink in some time, I was sure of it.

We raced along the countryside for a while. I could hear occasional noises and smell the odd scent that told me I was with my friends.

We slowed briefly and I could feel hands checking the straps that secured me. I found it odd that they were doing it while still moving, and not stopped.

I fluttered my eyes open and I saw midnight blue.

"Thain," I mumbled.

"You're awake," he said softly. "Eberon, Schula, we're stopping."

I glanced around, blinking in the bright light. I was riding Boxfield. He slowed his trot to a stop in a rocky field with snow dusting the ground. I could see sharp mountains in the distance, nothing like the mountains I grew up in. These were jagged and cold.

Thain undid the straps holding me to the horse and Picked me up gently. I winced, my back still burned.

"How are you feeling, little bird?" Eberon asked.

"Sore," I murmured. "I feel like my back is burning."

"I bet you're thirsty." Schula brought a water skin to my lips and I drained it while she rubbed her cool hands to my seal.

"Thank you," I croaked out.

"We need to keep moving," Thain said, his voice low. "Schula, can you take care of the creatures? I trust you have more experience with them than Eberon does."

"Sure," she said. "I'll catch up soon."

Schula darted off and Thain began walking with me still in his arms. I was still burning up, but the cool air around me was doing a lot to calm the burning.

"Go on home, boy." Eberon took a pack off of Boxfield and slapped his haunches, sending him into a gallop the direction we had come from.

"Where is Puko?" I asked.

Eberon gave me an apologetic look. "We're going a little fast for him I'm afraid. Schula left him with Mama Flori but he may have decided to chase after us anyway, I'm not sure."

"Okay," I said. I hoped he stayed, for his safety, but knowing him he probably didn't.

"Hold on to me, Wren," Thain ordered.

I nodded into his chest, concentrating on not feeling more nauseous than I already was. I squeezed my eyes shut and wrapped my arms around his neck.

Thain ran. He ran fast.

There had to be a better way to describe his graceful gait through the countryside but I was at a loss for words. When I dared open my eyes, I got glimpses of the rocky ground rushing by which did nothing for my spinning head. I preferred staying in the dark.

We were going faster than Boxfield. I'm sure they were only traveling with a horse to carry me, but now that I could cling to Thain it wasn't necessary. We were making better time now that before.

After a while I got used to the rushing motion around me and I dared to look up. Thain's face was strained as he carried me. Not from my weight in his arms, but from whatever thoughts were swirling around in his head.