Daughter of Light

Od Vireen

"You, my dear, are a demigod." She said. "Excuse me, what?" Her granddaughter asked. "You're one of a kin... Více

Daughter of Light
Chapter 1: Break Me
Chapter 2: Notice Me
Chapter 3: Speak To Me
Chapter 4: Torture Me (Part One)
Chapter 5: Torture Me (Part Two)
Chapter 6: Scare Me
Chapter 7: Shock Me
Chapter 8: Change Me
Chapter 9: Teach Me
Chapter 10: Train Me
Chapter 11: Meet Me
Chapter 12: Pass By Me
Chapter 13: Miss Me?
Chapter 15: Try Me
Chapter 16: Make Me
Chapter 17: Know Me
Chapter 18: Help Me
Chapter 19: Halliope Beverly
Chapter 20: Reveal Me
Chapter 21: Befriend Me (Part One)
Chapter 22: Befriend Me (Part Two)
Chapter 23: Kiss Me
Chapter 24: Understand Me
Chapter 25: Save Me
Chapter 26: Anger Me
Chapter 27: Wish Me
Chapter 28: Kiss Me II
Chapter 29: Kissable
Chapter 30: Affectionate
Chapter 31: Insufferable
Chapter 32: Unbearable
Chapter 33: Dominant
Chapter 34: Magnificent
Chapter 35: Fragile
Chapter 36: Destroyed

Chapter 14: Listen To Me

6K 275 12
Od Vireen

~Chapter 14~

Clarence

That night, Clarence was ready to stay up until midnight. She prepared herself for the monsters in the forest. She knew Jed and Ash will be there, fighting, too but she wanted to be the first one there. She planned to kill at least one monster before hiding behind the trees to watch the two boys.

Clarence pulled her hair up into a tight ponytail and was dressed in a white t-shirt and a denim vest. She also wore her faded out jeans and comfortable sneakers, to run in. And of course, she had her trusted bow and arrow, plus some ambrosia, nectar and medical supplies packed in a small bag. After she made sure everything was in place, she looked out the window.

She needs to summon the stars again.

Holding out her right hand – she was more comfortable with that – and closing her eyes slowly, she let the power of the stars flow through her. She felt as if the stars were a part of her and she couldn’t survive without them. When she opened her eyes, a line of sparkles was swirling around her. She began to float, along with the stars. With a move of her hand, she was flying out of the window and then landed in the deep part of the forest, a little too far from the school.

She didn’t feel any pain this time. But when she used her power to take out a monster that required a lot of stars to make it explode, she felt dizzy and would stumble a little. Though, right now she decided to use just her bow and arrows. Using her powers was a last resort.

Clarence recognized this spot as the same one she saw Jed and Ash fight in. It was a bald spot of the forest, so the trees were surrounding her in a large circle, and above, she could see the stars and the half-moon glowing without the view being blocked by any plant.

She inhaled the cold night air and stared up, still keeping watch for the monsters attacking. She really missed this place, and it gave her a nice view of the stars, too. It was against the rules of Eastern to sneak out at night, but being a demigod means breaking certain rules, right?

When she heard a little rustling behind her, she expected a monster, but it was – of course – Ash and Jed. She quickly ran towards the trees to hide herself. Gods, can those two give me the monsters for me to fight it myself? She asked herself. But there was no way she was revealing herself to them. That’ll be too risky.

“I told you, Jed, I don’t trust. There’s something…off…about that girl.” She heard Ash’s voice. She peeked from the tree and watched the two guys walk towards the middle of the spot. They had both their swords in their hands.

Clarence saw Jed roll his eyes at him, “Ash, she’s my cousin. Don’t judge her if you didn’t meet her yet.”

Ash snorted, “Whatever. Have you even met her?”

Jed shrugged, “I think I’ve known her enough.”

Ash sat on the grass, crossing his legs. Clarence knew they were talking about her. And the fact that they find her mysterious was telling her that her plan was working. If she was lucky, those two idiots wouldn’t have a chance to know who she really is by the end of the school year.

Ash sighed, “Just shut up about her, Jed. Anyway, where’s the monsters? There have been less of them for the past month…”

Duh, because I’m not here, Clarence thought.

“Yeah, weird.” Jed agreed. Oh, haha if only they knew. Clarence said in her head. But she was getting a little impatient. When would that damn monster (or monsters) show up?!?

“So…Ash.” Jed started, “What’s bothering you lately?”

Ash cocked an eyebrow, “What do you mean?”

Jed’s eyes narrowed into slits, “Don’t act all dumb with me, mister. You’ve been so grumpy for the past few days. Come on, man. Spill it.”

Ash ran a hand through his black hair, “It’s nothing, Jed, really.”

“Let me guess, it has something to do with Merilda.”

“What?!” Ash exclaimed, “You think this has something to do with the breakup?!”

“Ash, the day you broke up, you were acting all angry.” Jed pointed out. Ash sighed, “Something else happened that day.”

“What is it?”

Ash looked like he was in a little argument with himself. He sighed again, “It’s not important, Jed. Don’t talk about it.”

“Well if it isn’t really important, then why are you avoiding my questions and why were you acting so moody?!”

Ash looked up and glared at him. Clarence guessed Jed wouldn’t pressure him even more if his own best friend was going angry at him.

Then the sound of low growl sounded from around the trees, quite close to Clarence. She can hear the rustling sound of the leaves. Her head immediately turned to where the sound was, eager to take down the monster hiding behind the trees. She glanced at Jed and Ash, who were on their feet, staying alert for the creature. Surely the monster would go after them and not her…

A loud roar echoed throughout the forest which made Clarence gulp inaudibly. The roar sounded so powerful and strong. She searched her brain of what monster could’ve made that sound. Maybe like a lion. She crouched behind the bushes, getting ready for the revelation of the monster.

And so it did come out of its hiding.

The monster made the two guys back away, preparing for a big fight. That’s when Clarence saw the monster and recognized it. And they were lucky it was just one of its kind that existed. It was no doubt a lion, though it was extraordinarily large. It had a flowing golden mane and soft-looking fur. Its claws were visible on its feet and it looked like it wanted to devour everyone in sight.

Clarence recognized it from Mrs. Mackie’s book.

It was the great Nemean lion, slaying it was the very first labor of Heracles. It came walking towards the two guys. Ash looked at Jed, as if silently commanding him. Jedrick nodded and slowly made his way to side of the lion. Ash’s plan worked and the lion followed Jed while Ash charged at the monster with his bronze sword.

When the sword hit the monster, it didn’t hit it and Ash was a little taken aback. He attacked the monster again, but he failed. Idiot, Clarence thought, the Nemean lion’s fur is bulletproof! Stabbing it with your gods damn sword won’t help at all!

The lion turned its attention to Ash and pounced at him. Its claws scratched his abdomen and Ash’s shirt was ripped, his skin oozing out blood. He winced, getting up on his feet and slashing the monster again. Jed joined in with him.

“Dude, is this the Nemean lion?” Jed asked him.

Ash slapped a palm on his face, “Gah, I forgot! The only way to kill it is either we have Heracles strength or-“

He was quickly cut off when he realized the monster was no longer paying attention at them. Its ferocious eyes were staring into the woods, clearly searching for something. He was looking at the right side.

The same spot Clarence was hiding in.

The girl saw the lion’s gaze was on her and the monster charged at him, completely leaving the two boys. Ahh, I must be really special, Clarence thought to herself. The lion was already heading towards her so she climbed up the first tallest tree she spotted. She was pretty high up when the lion started scratching the trunk of the tree to get her down.

From the height of the tree, she saw Ash, lying on the ground while Jed treated his injury from the monster. She couldn’t quite hear their conversation, but she was determined that they decided to just walk back to school and not mind the lion thrashing the woods.

If only they knew I was here.

She stared back down and the lion was still scratching the wood. Sitting on a sturdy branch, she brought out her bow and arrows. The crescent moon transformed into a long bow, sparkling in the dark night and the star changed into her brown quiver, full of glittery arrows. If she could just shoot its mouth…

Clarence aimed the arrow and shot it at the lion’s mouth. Though, the lion dodged it, as it was smart enough to not let its enemies touch its weak spot. This reminded Clarence of her first monsters, the phoenixes. She fired another arrow again, but it bounced off the lion’s fur.

“Oh, you’re such a naughty kitty!” she yelled at it. The Nemean lion merely gave her a growl in response.

Well, if her arrows won’t do any good and if she’ll just waste time failing to shoot its mouth, then it was time to use her last option. She reached out her hand, fluttering her eyes shut and falling into the thoughts of stars. When she opened her eyes, there was a arrow before her, completely made out of stars. Just what she asked for.

Ignoring the pain in her head, she aimed the star arrow properly into the lion’s mouth. It was her last chance to shoot it. She released the arrow, and thankfully, it went inside its mouth, even swallowing it. Clarence squeezed her eyes shut as the monster exploded into white dust.

She climbed down the tree and went back to the open air spot. She lay on the grass, hand on her forehead. She promised herself she wouldn’t use her powers unless it was really need or if she would just use it lightly. She took out a piece of ambrosia and began to nibble on it. A few minutes later, the headache was a little gone, but there was still a slight pain.

Her gaze darted back to where she killed the lion all on her own. Something golden caught her eye. She ran back to the spot and found the lion’s fur coat lying on the same spot where it died. Of course, the usual reward for killing the Nemean lion, she thought. She picked it up (it was a little heavy, though) and held it close to her. Then, she gasped when it transformed into a furry belt, with a sparkly metal symbol of a crescent moon and three stars in the center. She wore it around her waist and rushed back to the school, eager to get some sleep.

~ΔΟΛ~ ΔΟΛ~ ΔΟΛ~

Ashton

He took a deep breath, burying his head on his hands. “I still can’t believe we ditched it! I would’ve gotten its fur, Jed!”

His best friend, who was sitting across from him in the table took a bite from his burger, “Seriously, Ash. Don’t you worry about yourself? You were scratched by its claws back there!” he scolded.

“I don’t care.” Ash went back to eating his food. There were bags under his eyes because he barely slept last night. Not because he was hurt, but because of that something that happened a few days ago.

“We should’ve got back there!” he grumbled.

Jedrick scowled at him, “Ashton Harper, I’m tired of this! Just say it to me, man! What was bothering you over the past few days?! You were craving for fighting monsters lately even though you were badly hurt!”

“That was just last night, Jed.” Ash told him. His wound was still healing from last night but the ambrosia and nectar helped. In – maybe – a week, it’ll be fully gone.

“I want answers, right now!” Jed said sternly. He was glaring at Ash, waiting for him to say what was going on.

Ash finally gave up and told him, “Fine. My mom Iris messaged a few days ago, the same day Merilda and I broke up. Happy?”

Jed’s expression softened, “How the hell did she know where you were?”

“Apparently, Xandra’s been telling her everything.”

“So what did she say?”

Ash sighed, “She said I should come back home. But I really can’t. She said…she said they missed me.”

“Come on, Ash, why don’t you just visit them for a little while?”

Ash slammed his fist on the table, “I can’t, Jed! I have to protect them! That’s why I ran away, right?”

“Fine, I respect your decision, Ash. But you have to stop being grumpy now. It worries me.”

“I’ll try,” he mumbled.

They ate their lunch for a few minutes when someone interrupted them. Ash looked up to see Clarence, smiling at them, her tray on her hands, “Hey, guys can I sit here?”

“Cl-“ Jed began but Ash cut him off, “No.”

She pouted, “But why not?”

“We just don’t want you here. Now, go away.” Ash said coldly. Clarence looked at her cousin.

Je gave Ash a little nudge with his foot, “Come on, Ash. She’s my family. Let her sit.”

Ash rolled his eyes, “Fine, whatever.” But before Clarence took her seat, he couldn’t help but notice a belt wrapped around her lower waist. It had golden fur and a metal symbol in the center, which made him suspicious. Of course, Jed had no way of seeing that belt.

From the day she arrived at the school, Ash had a bad feeling about her. She always acted all mysterious and innocent-like. Not the Merilda-ish type, but the I-have-a-deep-dark-secret-you-won’t-ever-know kind of girl. It’s like she knows something they don’t. He knew Jed was too dense to be suspicious about his cousin, but Ash wasn’t.

There was something with that girl, and he had to find that out.

 ~ΔΟΛ~ ΔΟΛ~ ΔΟΛ~

So sorry if this chappie might be short, but you’ll like the next one! And how’d you like Ash’s little POV? And the killing of the Nemean lion? I had to go to Wikipedia to find out about that monster XD.

I might not update tomorrow 'coz I'm going to work on my other book, Bittersweet Moments. Please go check it out! It's in my other account: ChocoholicChoco. Check it out please! *Puppy dog eyes*

-Vireen, Daughter of Riches

Dedication: Meh, I ran out of people to dedicate this to. Hehe. So I'll just dedicated it to the demigods of the class. I miss you guys! I'll try updating my other book now...

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

310K 3.7K 26
People meeting the demigods. I also might add headcanons into this book. Legend: (M)- Mortal (D)- Demigod (NM)- No Mist (G)- God (CS)- Clear Sighted...
698K 8.9K 42
The Gods are cruel and decided to send their children to- wait for it- mortal school. There, they will be faced with jealous, deceitful, and imbecili...
1.7K 161 43
There are some things that should never be uncovered. Some secrets that should stay buried. Paths that should never cross. But these two worlds, the...
4.6K 241 34
[currently rewriting] Elidi Rosen's demigod life is not as grand as most would think. Being the daughter of a god was dangerous. Once taken to a s...