Captain of the Guard. Legend...

By monkeybreath

Once upon a time in a Kingdom far away, lived Arthur; an Omega with a secret. His wolf was a girl. Because of... More

1. Intro
2. Welcome home
3. Meeting the enemy
4. Duality
5. Making due
6. Powerless
7. Casper has a booty call
8. The cat...eh...wolf is out of the bag.
9. Defiance
10. Say what?
11. Impossible answers
12. 'Damn Casper and his stupid chivalry!!!!'
13. Doubts
14. A costly mistake
15. Shit just got real.
16. Unleashing Hell.
18. A happy reunion
19. Origins
20. Taking a gamble.
21. Mated.
22. Stand by your man
23. Between a rock and a hard place.
24. Darren.
25. Afternoon tea.
26. The truth will set you free.
27. A Sticky Wicket.
28. Search and Rescue
29. A parting gift
30. The price of love
31. Surprise
32. Another meeting in the woods
33. Drawing blood.
34. I do.
35. One, Two, Three.
36. Heaven and Hell

17. A meeting in the woods.

2.7K 165 7
By monkeybreath

Spike was going as fast as possible keeping a close eye on Art. The boy was hanging in his saddle and barley holding on. He regretted pushing him this hard but they had no time to rest. The rash action of Nox to incapacitate him, a King appointed protector and poison Art had given him a new insight in the Beta of the Royal Guard. As soon as they returned he would give Wren his full support in whatever the Alpha had planned for Nox. He just hoped Nox wouldn't act before time.

He also saw Art getting weaker by the minute.

"Hold on, Art. Just hold on a little while longer."

Art hardly heard him. He actually had no idea how he was even still on the horse. It felt like something else held on for dear life. Something vaguely familiar.

"Charlotte? I love you", he whispered before darkness swept over him.

"Why isn't he waking up?" Spike said with his hands in his hair.

Delia, one of the few women in the sanctuary looked at him with a reassuring smile.

"Darren assured me that the treatment was working. So stop worrying and do your chores."

Ignoring his pleas to stay by Art's side she pushed him out of the room.

"He's fine. His wounds are almost completely healed. What he now needs is rest. So let him sleep."

Spike went reluctantly, leaving the boy's side for the first time in three days.

When the King first assigned him to the little Omega, he wasn't too thrilled. Without boasting he could claim to be the best of the Kings personal bodyguards. Babysitting a bratty kid was hurting his ego. But he came to like Art. In the short time they spent together he noticed something different about the boy that was difficult to describe. Something special. Art was though and vulnerable at the same time. Funny thing was that Spike had the strangest impression that his wolf was the vulnerable one.

Charlotte opened her eyes and blinked a few times to adjust to the bright light.

"Art, are you there?"

Still nothing.

Charlotte knew that Art had used every ounce of strength to protect her against the poison Nox had injected to kill her. It was an absolute miracle she survived.

"So, you're finally awake", she heard a voice say, startling her.

She looked around the room and discovered a man sitting in the corner. He was making a potion. Sniffing the air she recognized a mixture of harmless herbs.

"My name is Darren. You arrived in my sanctuary almost four days ago."

Charlotte was a little startled by this answer. Four days?

"Don't panic, little one. Art is alright. He's just resting."

He smiled, walked over and sat down on a chair next to her bed.

"I am very pleased to meet you, Charlotte", he said letting her gasp for air.

"How?" escaped her lips before she regained control.

No one ever talked to her directly being in human form. Ever. Looking around for signs of danger she moved too quickly and grunted at the sharp stabs of pain.

"Please, remain as still as possible. Your wounds have healed nicely, but your body is still very weak."

She leaned back eying his suspiciously.

"I know this may sound incredible but your Spirit Wolf helped me with your treatment", Darren said with a soft smile on his face.

Charlotte shook her head. All her life she had been told that keeping her identity a secret was imperative for their survival. No stranger would trick her into revealing herself.

"We don't have a Spirit Wolf", she snarled at him.

A vaguely familiar presents touched her mind.

"That's him", Darren explained. "Although he has never presented himself to you, he has been with you since before birth."

Charlotte felt overwhelmed by this information.

"I know this is my first incarnation, but that doesn't mean I am without knowledge. Spirit Wolfs only come to those who are special. Like in changing history special."

Darren looked at her with a bemused smile.

"You are paired with a human male. Looks special enough to me."

Charlotte blushed.

"Did the Spirit Wolf reveal why I'm paired with Art?"

Darren shrugged his shoulders.

"He hasn't said much about anything else. Guess I don't need to know."

After hearing that Charlotte gingerly sat up and drank the potion that Darren offered her.

"So what, are you a seer or a healer, or something?"

"Or something", he grinned.

His blue eyes sparkled when he saw her pout.

Knowing he wouldn't answer her curiosity about this, she changed the subject.

"Where's Spike?"

"Delia, one of my assistants, is very happy with her new helper", he chuckled. "She has him working all over the Sanctuary."

"Could you please get him. I really need to talk to him."

Darren nodded.

"I'll ask him to stop by later with some food. For now you need to rest."

Despite her initial protests she was already asleep before Darren could leave the room.

Next time she opened her eyes it was dark outside. Spike was standing in the corner lighting some candles.

"Finally, you're awake.", he glanced over his shoulder with obvious relieve.

Charlotte shook her head.

"Still no Art."

Spike hurried to her side.

"Should we be worried?"

Charlotte thought carefully about her answer.

"Physically we are almost healed. It just feels like Art is in some deep sleep. I sense him, but I can't reach him."

She shrugged when Spike frowned.

"I know. It doesn't make sense."

"No", said Spike. "Actually it makes allot of sense. I spoke with Darren and he explained your...eh...unique situation.

Charlotte blushed under his admiring gaze.

"Considering your condition it is possible that Art's unconsciousness is deliberate."

"But to what end?" she asked confused by his deduction.

"I don't know", he admitted. "We'll just have to wait until he wakes up."

Both of them stared into the candles thinking about Art and praying for his safe return.

"Hold on Art", was the last thing he heard Spike say before darkness swept over him.

When Art opened his eyes he was surprised by the absence of pain. Looking around he found himself standing in a forest. The air around the ancient trees was thick with magic and Art felt he could absorb some of its energy just by extending his fingers.

"I wouldn't do that", he heard a deep voice behind him say.

Art immediately turned towards the voice and noticed someone (something) watching him. Strangely enough he couldn't focus on the appearance of his company. Almost like it was in a continually flued stage.

"You know me although we have never met", the deep voice rumbled.

Art wanted to shake his head, but then realized the truth in those words.

"How is that possible?" he asked perplexed.

"I have not called you here for answers. Those will come in time. For now I have two very important tasks for you. First of all you must hurry home to the Palace and protect Prince Alexi. Second you must make sure that he drinks the vial you have in your possession. Make sure he drinks it on your birthday. Now hurry, you have no time to lose."

A rose petal floated through the air and landed on his lips filling him with energy. When he blinked his companion had disappeared. When he blinked again he was back in the real world and found Spike at his side.

The man looked absolutely relieved to see him.

"Welcome back. How are you feeling?"

"Like I knocked on Deaths door", Art admitted wondering where all the energy went.

Spike smiled.

"Well I'm glad he turned you away. You've been out for almost six days now."

Art sat up with a jolt.

"We have to get back to the Palace", he said and hurried out of bed.

"But you are still recovering", Spike said worried about this sudden action.

Art gripped him by the broad shoulders.

"A something or someone in an ancient forest told me to get my ass back to the Palace and protect Alexi. I also think that I got some help with my recovery although it seems that all the energy was used up."

Spike seemed to find nothing odd about his words which surprised him greatly.

"Are you ok with all this?" he asked with raised eyebrows.

"Just going with the flow", said Spike nodding his head. "I'll alert Darren and make arrangements. Be prepared to leave with the next half hour."

True to his word, they mounted there horses with thirty minutes. A man, unfamiliar to Art, looked up with a noticeable affection on his face.

"Please take good care of Charlotte", he said stunning Art.

Charlotte would never reveal herself to someone he couldn't trust, making this man an immediate ally. "You have a difficult task ahead of you, young man. Beware of the Snake in your midst. If he gets away, war falls on us all."

Off they rode into the night. Praying for a hasty return and finding the means to prevent a coming catastrophe.

Of course, Art was very aware of the danger and repercussions of the current situation and still he couldn't help but linger at the thought that next time he entered the Palace he would be seventeen.

And able to identify his mate.

Finally Charlotte stirred.

"You know who gets my vote."

Surprisingly he agreed with her.

"Let's go get our man."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 28 70
Amanda Lucifer is the archmage of Time Cross Academy - the best school for all kinds of species. She oversees the best kind of education for her stud...
701 56 9
Once upon a time, there lived a man, in a clearing behind the woods. A small cottage to lie and a small farm to live. There he strived and there he l...
19 0 8
17 years old Accalia has an omega status without a future. Her pack is abusing her physically and mentally. Can she escape? does she have a mate? Wi...
844K 38.6K 45
"I don't care if you're a girl, a boy or a god damned gold fish. You're mine and that's all that matters to me." --- Logan Mercier, Crowned Prince o...