Odds Are Against Us

By t0ki0h0tel

Avery, a 24 year old girl, had just moved to LA to pursue her dream of becoming a doctor. Unfortunately, ever... More

Control
A taste of freedom
Wounds
Shelter
Obsession
Bad Dreams
Divided
Strings
Fear
Safe and Sound
Odds are against us
Lost
Frustration
Let me disarm you
Family
Is it love?
Disarmed
Safe Haven
Threat & Trust
Not fine
Vegas, baby
From New York to Paris
A sweet goodbye & an unpleasant hello
Trouble in paradise
Spilling secrets
Home
The Truth
Protection
Wrath day
Back to hell
The odds are in our favor
To new beginnings

Troublemaker

602 18 14
By t0ki0h0tel

Around two hours later Tom cooked dinner for the three of us and we were all eating in silence until Vanessa broke it.

– I'm sorry about earlier. – she said. – I didn't mean to upset you, Avery.

I suddenly felt Tom's eyes on me, as if telling me to keep calm.

– Don't worry. It's not a big deal after all. – I shrugged. – And thank you for sympathizing with the situation. – I added, cynically.

– No need to thank me. – she shook her head from side to side. – It could happen to anyone, really. – she made it sound unimportant. I wanted to slap her.

– How did you know about this anyway? – Tom asked her suddenly and I almost widened my eyes.

– Well you told me just yesterday silly! – she chuckled slightly and looked confused. My chest tightened. I felt betrayed.

– No, I didn't. – he frowned and shook his head.

– Yes, you did. – she nodded. – Perhaps you were a bit tipsy already and don't remember. – she shrugged. – How else would I know?

– I don't-... – Tom glanced at me and I stared at my food. – Uhm, anyway, how was your day? – Tom asked her, trying to change the subject.

– Amazing! I missed shopping in L.A. so much. – she answered. – What about yours? Avery told me you spent the day at the studio. Is it still the same one?

– No. We changed into another one last year. – he said.

– Oh. I'd love to visit it! Can I?

– Sure. I'm heading there tomorrow afternoon. I have a meeting in the morning. – he answered.

– I uh-... I think I'm calling it a day. – I interrupted them as I got up. Tom looked at me as I grabbed my plate and placed it on the sink. Vanessa kept talking.

– Sounds fine. – she agreed.

– Do you want to go, Avery? – he asked me.

– No. Tiffany is going to pick me up to go shopping with her. – I was actually relieved that Tiffany had invited me. A day without having to see Vanessa's face was a sacred day. I turned my back on them before I would crumble into tears and walked upstairs to the bedroom to change into my pyjamas.

***

I woke up the next morning on the couch when I heard someone walk down the stairs.

– Yeah I'm leaving the house and I'll be there in five. – I heard Tom's voice. He was talking on the phone. – Okay, bye. – he hung up.

I kept staring at the TV as I could see his reflection on it. I could see him grabbing a jacket and his car keys. Then he glanced at the couch and started walking towards it. I closed my eyes immediately. I could feel him near me until I heard him walking away. I opened my eyes again to see him stepping out of the house, slamming the door loudly.

I frowned. He was probably mad at me because of what I had said the day before. Or because I actually slept on the couch. Or because I didn't believe him. I felt a pain in my chest. I hated when we were mad at each other.

I got up from the couch and walked to Tom's bedroom to get dressed and have breakfast before Tiffany picked me up.

***

– This one is so pretty! – Tiffany exclaimed as she looked at the 10th dress she had tried on.

All I could think of was getting back home.

– Avery? – Tiffany tried to catch my attention.

– Yeah? – I looked at her.

– What's up with you today? – she kneeled down beside where I was sitting inside the fitting room.

– I had an argument with Tom. – I shrugged.

– Is that all? You guys are fighting all the time, in a good way. I'm sure you'll figure it out together. – she said and I gave her a small smile.

– Yeah. – I sighed.

***

Tiffany stopped her car in front of Tom's place and I stepped out.

– Thanks. – I told her.

– Any time. Call me if you need anything. – she said and I nodded.

– You too. – I told her before closing the car door.

I walked up to the front door as Tiffany drove away and grabbed my bag to search for the keys. I suddenly stopped when I heard a car on the street. I turned around to take a look at the street but I saw nothing. I felt like I was being watched. I shivered and was finally able to grab the keys and go inside the house immediately. I closed the door behind me and sighed in relief.

– Tom? – I looked around to check if he was home but it was empty. I let down my bags before walking up the stairs.

I opened Tom's bedroom door and my heart instantly dropped. Vanessa was lying in his bed wearing only her underwear. She looked like she was sleeping and there were clothes of her all over the floor. I took a step back before closing the door and leaning my back against the wall of the hallway. I couldn't believe what I had just seen. I wasn't able to cry, I wasn't able to move an inch.

Had he cheated on me? He said he had a meeting. Had he come back home? I felt like I was about to puke. This couldn't be happening. I let my back slid down the wall until I sat down on the floor and curled up.

I stood in the same place for a while in utter shock. I could swear I felt my heart literally breaking into a million pieces. How could he have done that to me?

I suddenly felt tears running down my cheeks. I was furious. I was more than furious. I got up from the floor and ran downstairs. I grabbed a pan from the kitchen and filled it with ice cold water before I walked upstairs again. I stormed inside the bedroom and walked over to the side where Vanessa was laying before I threw the freezing water on her. She opened her eyes all of a sudden and started screaming. I grabbed her hair and pulled it as she kept yelling.

– Get the fuck out of this room! – I shouted as loud I could while she tried to get up.

– Avery stop! – she whimpered as I pushed her repeatedly until she finally stepped out of the room.

– Get out! – I pushed her against the wall and shut the door loudly.

I couldn't bear to stay in that house for even one second longer. I grabbed my bags immediately from under Tom's bed and started packing all of my things.

I suddenly heard a car pull over at Tom's driveway. It was probably him so I started rushing even more. I closed the bags once I was done and walked towards the door, but before I could even grab the door knob, the door opened all of a sudden and I saw Tom.

– What the fuck did you do to Vanessa?! – he nearly yelled as he noticed my bags. – Where are you going?

I wanted to end him. I decided to ignore him and pushed him, making my way towards downstairs.

– Avery! – he ran after me. I was about to reach the front door when I heard Vanessa's cries. I widened my eyes and turned around to see her walking after Tom with tears in her eyes.

– You can quit playing the victim now. You have what you wanted. – I told her as I glanced at Tom. She gave me a furious look and out of nowhere she lounged at me, slapping me across the face.

– Vanessa stop! – Tom grabbed her before she could hurt me even more. I placed my hand on my cheek in complete astonishment.

– You're crazy! – I yelled at her.

– YOU are crazy! You had no right to do that to me! – she yelled back as she tried to get loose from Tom's grip.

– I had no right?! You were on Tom's fucking bed! Naked! – I yelled as some tears ran down my cheeks.

– What?! – Tom looked at her with wide eyes.

– What do you mean "what"? Tell Avery the truth! – she told him. I let out a sob I had been holding for a long time.

– What truth?! You're sick, Vanessa! – he yelled at her and let her go. I shook my head from side to side, grabbed my car keys and stepped out of the house as fast as I could. – Avery! – I heard Tom walk after me. I opened my car's door and threw my bags inside before he was able to grab me by my arm.

– Don't touch me! – I tried to step away from him.

– Avery, listen to me! – he insisted. I was able to loosen my arm from his grip and pushed him away from me. – Vanessa is lying! – he tried to reason with me as he walked closer to me again.

– Get the fuck away from me! You two deserve each other. – I pushed him again before I went inside my car and locked the doors.

– Avery! – he yelled desperately as he tried to open my door.

I started the engine and drove out of the driveway and into the street, finally leaving his house behind.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.9K 324 22
Noah stumbles upon Bill Kaulitz. A guy with a similar mindset as hers with a riskier side to him. Unbeknownst to her, she'd meet his twin brother, T...
70.8K 2K 72
"𝑪𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒐𝒖𝒕 𝒎𝒚 𝒏𝒂𝒎𝒆, 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑰'𝒍𝒍 𝒃𝒆 𝒐𝒏 𝒎𝒚 𝒘𝒂𝒚" Pearl Bellini, 20 years old. Her life has never been easy, she suffered from a...
106K 2.1K 36
tom is 20, y/n is 19 y/n has known the kaulitz twins since she was 10, her and bill became friends in elementary school. they were always close. tom...
4.8K 125 16
Lauren is a 20 year old girl who is moving to Germany. She has Been a designer for almost 3 years now and has an upcoming project in Munich, Germany...