Backfire (Niall Horan)

By BelWatson

{book 1} ✓ - ❝ Once upon a time… Wait, are you shitting me? This story doesn’t start like this. On the contra... More

Before reading...
Chapter 1 ~ Eating contest
Chapter 2 ~ Truth or dare
Chapter 3 ~ Not a fan
Chapter 4 ~ A concert
Chapter 5 ~ Guitar Hero
Chapter 6 ~ Movie time
Chapter 7 ~ Turn him down
Chapter 8 ~ Break down the walls
Chapter 9 ~ So... Shopping
Chapter 10 ~ Niall's day
Chapter 12 ~ Stop avoiding!
Chapter 13 ~ Harry's day
Chapter 14 ~ Helping Phoebe
Chapter 15 ~ Strategies
Chapter 16 ~ Awkward
Chapter 17 ~ Zayn's confession
Chapter 18 ~ Ballet
Chapter 19 ~ Our first date
Chapter 20 ~ Time to worry
Chapter 21 ~ Technical Problems
Chapter 22 ~ Just friends
Chapter 23 ~ Ethan Porter
Chapter 24 ~ Meeting the lads
Chapter 25 ~ Gloomy
Chapter 26 ~ Goodbye, Belle
Chapter 27 ~ Public
Chapter 28 ~ Danielle's effect
Chapter 29 ~ Broken heart
Chapter 30 ~ Back home
Chapter 31 ~ Goodbye
Chapter 32 ~ Hollow
Chapter 33 ~ Together
Epilogue ~ All I need
Author's note

Chapter 11 ~ Zayn's day

606K 7.9K 2K
By BelWatson

Chapter 11 ― Zayn's day

   I didn’t know if I was still sleeping or in that point between. Probably the latter. I heard voices, murmurs about me. I listened to their voices, recognising them one by one.

“Did she sleep here all night?” That was Belle, I could hear her worry clearly.

“I don’t understand. When I fell asleep she was with me–” and that was Niall who shut up immediately when he realised what he just said. I heard people gasping.

“Pardon me?” That accent belonged to Zayn.

“Hey, look; it’s the book I recommender her. Maybe she was reading it and fell asleep,” Phoebe suggested and I heard the incredulous murmurs of my friends.

“I don’t think so. Here’s her bookmark, and clearly isn’t in the middle of the book,” Belle again.

When the pain attacked me I knew I wasn’t sleeping anymore, that my friends were there, watching me. The memories of the last day came crawling back at me again, the realisation I had last night, that little peck I stole from Niall. It wasn’t just physical pain anymore; my chest was aching, as well.

“That’s because I finished the book last night,” I replied curling in a foetal position and opening my eyes to see all my friends looking at me with worry. “Some help?” I murmured groaning softly. I needed my pills, like now. Niall hurried next to me, putting his arms around me. I knew I had to pull him aside, I needed distance in order to forget about him and stop suffering, but I was in pain, I need comfort and he was giving me what I required.

“Do you need your pills, love?” He asked in a sweet and soft tone and I nodded grabbing his t-shirt as another wave of pain attacked me. “Shh, Belle is coming with them,” he promised patting my back softly and kissing me on my forehead. My heart was beating fast, and even faster when his lips touched my skin. I wanted to stay like that forever, but I knew better, I had to put some distance between us.

I looked away and my eyes met Zayn’s. His eyes were filled with worry but something else, something bitter I couldn’t put my finger on. “Would you stay with me today?” I asked him. I saw surprise taking over his features as I felt Niall tensing next to me. I felt my friends’ eyes on me as well, wondering why I would ask something like that when Niall was holding me. “I want you to be my teddy bear today. Today will be Zayn’s day!” I explained faking happiness. I would have loved to stay with Niall again, but I couldn’t do it if I wanted to save my heart. “And tomorrow will be Harry’s day!” I added looking at the curly guy and that seemed to put them at ease, understanding my plan. I even felt Niall relaxing.

“Why’s Harry first?” Louis asked indignant. “I’m your husband and you always prefer others over me. Not fair.”

“Because Eleanor will come tomorrow, right? Would you rather stay with me that going out with your girlfriend?”

“Good point. Tomorrow will be Harry’s day, then!” He agreed joyfully and I chuckled still in pain. Luckily, Belle came back with my pills and a glass of water. Niall didn’t let me go and I let myself enjoy that for a little while because my plan was to never be like that with him again. Just friends, nothing that would make my heart race.

I stayed in Niall’s arms till the pills starting to make effect. I had to run away before my state would make me do something stupid. I extended my hand to Zayn and he got closer taking my hand and pulling me to his chest. I didn’t want to see Niall, so I buried my face in Zayn and let him comfort me because the distance between the Irish and I was hurting me already and there were no pills for that kind of pain.

“We got to the hotel,” Liam commented. “So we are going to have breakfast in there, but there are a few photographers outside already, therefore, girls, you have to cover yourselves up unless you want to lose your privacy.” Belle, Phebs and I nodded and went to dress up without forgetting about the hoodies and sunglasses to hide ourselves.

The lads helped us with our backpacks and soon we got off the bus and walked to the hotel. I didn’t know how the photographers could already know the lads were there and it was impressive. The girls and I were surrounded by the boys and we kept our eyes on the floor so no one could see our faces. Only when we were in the lobby I could take my sunglasses off. Zayn put his arm around my waist immediately and I smiled at him. “Ready to see your room?” He asked me as Liam got where we were with our keys. I was going to share a bedroom with my friends.

We went to our rooms to leave our stuff there and then reunite in the dining room to have breakfast. I felt already high and if I didn’t eat soon, I would start doing weird things. I sat next to Zayn and Niall sat in front of me, I could feel his eyes glued on me but I didn’t meet his gaze.

“Okay, we have the whole morning for ourselves, in the afternoon they need us in the arena for sound-check and other stuff. What are you going to do?” Liam asked.

“We want to go sightseeing,” Belle replied grabbing Louis and Phebs hands. Harry grabbed her hand joining them.

“I rather stay here. I don’t feel like moving and I’m kind of dangerous when I’m high like this,” I said giggling annoyingly. Zayn chuckled and put his arm around my shoulders.

“Then I’ll stay with you,” he added looking into my eyes.

“I’ll go with the lads, then”, Niall said and I could feel that he wasn’t excited about going out with the guys. “And what are you going to do whilst we’re out?” He asked us and I had to meet his eyes.

“I dunno. Watch a movie or Zayn can help me remember all the names of the Gold Saints to name my future twelve cats!” I declared excited. Niall chuckled being the only one who understood the joke inside that sentence. Zayn looked at me confused. “The thing is I’m gonna adopt twelve cats, one per month and I’m gonna name them after the twelve Gold Saints of The Knights of Zodiac,” I explained cheerfully. “As I can’t be a nun ‘cos I don’t understand how all them can marry the same guy, I’ll die surrounded by cats! I’m gonna adopt the first in August an he will be Aioria! Like the Gold Saint of Leo!” They all looked at me like I was crazy and I just stuck my tongue out at them.

“You’re so weird,” Niall said smiling.

“And you’re just noticing now?” I asked faking surprise. “I thought you were cleverer, Niall.” We all laughed as he blushed lightly. “But don’t worry, by when I’m done with you all, none of you will be safe. You will know everything about the anime shows I watched as I child. You’ll see,” I almost threatened them.

As we finished our breakfast, the lads went out and with Zayn we went to his room. “What are we going to do first?” He asked looking at me as I was thinking.

“I know! Wait for me here!” I said running to my room to grab one of my comic books that always carried with me. I came back to his room and jumped to his bed next to him. “We’re gonna read Thor, my friend!” I answered and he smiled brightly.

“I didn’t think you liked comic books,” he mused as I opened the comic book to start reading.

“Of course I’m that kind. I have an older brother, Ethan, and he always took me to comic fairs, made me watch movies with him, or anime. I grew up playing with action figures, not Barbie’s. I learned to read with comic books when I was four and he was nine. I watched Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya, Robotech, Slam Dunk, Captain Tsubasa and things like that with him. I think that’s why I am like I am, you know? I started to behave more like a real girl when I met Belle and Phebs. We all wanted to be princesses,” I laughed as I remembered. “They wanted to be like Disney princesses whilst I wanted to be princess Athena. I even wanted my hair purple so Ethan gave me a wig and a white dress.”

I looked at Zayn who was smiling sweetly. “He sounds like a great bloke. Where is he now?” He asked.

“He’s a graphic designer and works in Manchester. He got all the talent ‘cos I can’t draw a mug without a little kid laughing at me for sucking so much.” Zayn laughed. “I go to see them now and then, but not as much as I’d like to.”

“What about your parents?” He asked and my smile disappeared and he noticed because he quickly hugged me sensing that something was wrong.

It had been a long time ago, but it still hurt like it was yesterday. “Car accident,” I said in a whisper. Zayn hugged me tighter and I buried my face in his chest.

“I’m so sorry,” he said patting my back. “I didn’t know, I’m sorry.”

“It was five years ago. I don’t talk about that ‘cos it still hurts. I still miss them, you know? Everyday, even if I don’t talk about them. Sometimes I still had nightmares of that day the police came to my house telling me that my parents had died in a car accident. Ethan wasn’t living with us by then, I was alone,” I told him shivering. “It was really difficult from then on, but Ethan and I managed to move on ‘cos we knew our parents wouldn’t like us to cry them forever. They’d want us to live our lives to the fullest.”

“I’m sure they are proud of you two now,” he said softly. He grabbed me by the chin and made me look at him. I was crying and not only because I was more sensitive for my period, when it was about my parents I would always break down. He whipped my tears away with his thumb and kissed my forehead, then my still wet cheeks, and the tip of my nose. He looked me in the eyes and I saw how he started to lean closer to me.

For a second I didn’t know what he was doing until it hit me. Zayn was going to kiss me! No!

I backed off quickly whipping my own tears again and pretending I didn’t notice what he was about to do. I saw him blushing furiously as I rose and sat on the bed crossing my legs in a yoga position.

“Sorry I broke down like that,” I said as he sat too. “It had been long since the last time I talked about my parents. Thanks for listening, though,” I added finally looking at him again. He seemed anxious and uncomfortable and I felt bad, but didn’t say anything about it. I didn’t know why he would do such a thing, if it was because he had feelings for me or because of the mood of the moment; whatever the reason, I didn’t want to know more. I had enough with my conflictive feelings for Niall, my broken heart, and I couldn’t worry about what Zayn was probably feeling for me.

“No problem. That’s what friends are for, right?” He commented smiling and putting himself together again. “Thanks for trusting me, Alex.” I just smiled. I loved Zayn as a friend and I knew that moment had bounded us even closer.

“Okay, let’s finish this comic book and then I’ll show you Saint Seiya. You’ll love it!” I promised taking the comic book again. Zayn was smiling and got closer to me.

After an hour and a half, we finished with Thor and I used Zayn’s macbook to look for the episodes of Saint Seiya when they had to go house-by-house meeting the Gold Saints. We started watching and I had to explain a lot of things to Zayn. His Gold Saint was Shura as he was Capricorn, whilst I was Sagittarius, so I had Aioros, my favourite Gold Saint.

I wasn’t sure, but I probably fell asleep curling next to Zayn and resting my head on his chest when we were in the sixth episode and I didn’t wake up till he shook me softly telling me it was time to go to the venue and the sound check.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Fate By jessica

Fanfiction

290K 5K 100
[NIALL HORAN SERIES, BOOK 1: COMPLETED] ❝Fate laughs at probabilities❞ © skriptureent all rights reserved. WARNING: Contains strong language, sexual...
90.1K 4.8K 47
*Not Edited* Niall is overweight, and is madly in love with Harry, Captain of the soccer team, and has been in love with him since 6th grade and he...
4.2K 63 39
i started this book as y/n and niall imagines but halfway through i changed it to narry (: send requests for certain story ideas <3 thank you for r...
443K 24.8K 48
-| just because you win the battle, doesn't mean you've won the war|- "You know... I was serious when I said I was going to marry you." "I know." "...