Maid in the Mist

Par TorrentLazuli22

Once there were two witches: Solaria and Luna. Sisters and daughters to the Grand Witch of Farthing Village... Plus

Forward
Hollow's Eve
A Village Bathed in Darkness: Innocence Hangs
The Trail of Holly
The Massacure of Harbrook Village
The Crimson Moon: The Journey Begins
Rattling Bones
Sir Montague: Knight of Canterberry City
The Mist's Minions
Licking Wounds
Bloody Thorns
The Cure
The Climb
The End
Afterwards

Blood in the Dirt

27 2 3
Par TorrentLazuli22

Solaria still remained nestled in bed, as the morning transcended into a lovely autumn noon, still snoring away as if nothing were to bother her. And the warm sunlight filtering through the window warmed her blankets, making her toasty on this crisp autumn day.

It wasn't until a cool breeze grazed her cheek that she did wake. And the moment her eyes opened did she remember the date.

"H-Hollow's Eve...? Oh! It's the start of the harvest!" She rose quickly, stripping away her rugged potato sack of a gown for her cloak, stained with ale from the night before.

Her head pounded from the hangover left in her brain. Fuzzy memories returned of her mates, William Kaper and Mark Weathers tearing the town up; downing the ale of William's father, surely the finest the in Farthing.

As she brushed through her feathery rugged blonde hair, she recalled what little memory she had of the night before.

Dancing in the wheat fields.

Throwing fireballs at oak trees.

Trying to tip Farmer Jones' cow, only to find herself tipped over in manure.

The taste of Selene Tire's lips.

The pain in Solaria's head grew as she recalled the tempting flesh and hot passion that transcended in those fields. It made her heart grow warm at the memory.

In fact, she would visit the lovely Selene today. Yes, that would be right. But first, to cure her hangover would do the trick. She pulled out her own book, of which was tattered and filthy unlike her sisters as she flipped through the pages for the only spell she knew besides fireball.

"Comfort me, aches and pains, leave me..."

A rush of energy surged through Solaria, prompting her to dash out of her room.

***

Stellaria was still busy at work with the potion, now bottling it in round cork bottles to be stored for the day of Hollow's Eve.

"You're up late."

Solaria had no time, she dashed to the hearth and pulled out the last specks of cream wheat from the pot.

"Sorry mum...I was tired."

"I'm sure you were, you were drunker than ever last night. I had to put you to bed."

Solaria seemed worried, "Oh...I'm sorry mum..."

"It's fine, eat breakfast before you go."

"Who says I'm going anywhere?"

"Really poppet? I know full well you're going to visit Selene. I am not thick in the head."

Solaria's cheeks burned like the fire within her, "You aren't mad? I thought we were harvesting today."

"We will at the witching hour, as is our tradition..." Stellaria mumbled, "You have all day to frolic as you please. But, I do need you to run one errand for me today..." she placed a crate of vials of a blood red liquid on the table, "I need you to take this passion potion to Mr. Yates, shouldn't take you more than a few moments."

This caused Solaria to groan, "Yes mum..." she grabbed the crate, and found the object rather light, as passion tends to make others feel.

Stellaria glanced back at her daughter for a moment before returning her focus to her bre, "Clean your bowl please..."

Solaria rolled her eyes, "I will..."

She did not. Rather, she snuck out without her mother knowing that a bowl of drying wheat remained.

Truly wasteful.

***

Solaria carried the crate as quickly as she could, making the crates tremble and clatter. On the edge of scattering onto the dirt road. Surely it would look like blood. And that thought made Solaria shiver.

Not even a few steps later, she crossed the road to this stone hut with a wooden sign.

Ye Old Apothecary.

Creative title, I know.

Entering the building, the scent of spice and bread filled Solaria's senses. The small store had shelves lined up with vials of potions and bundles of herbs. Some vials were glowing, others had chunks of newts and skeleton fingers floating among them, some were marked with crossbones, and those were behind the oaken counter.

And there was Selene. A pretty thing, plump with red fiery curls hidden behind a white cover, similar to a puritan. With a black dress with white aprons and the like.

Solaria smirked and placed the crate on the counter, "Hello."

Selene didn't look pleased, "Hello Solaria...passion potion?"

Solaria nodded, "Yes, just as Mr. Yates requested."

Selene counted the vials in whispers before pulling out a large dusty book, far bigger than any spell book, "A hundred vials...that totals to seventy nine gold pieces." she swept the exact amount up and onto the counter. Solaria scooped them up and put them in a small cloth pouch hidden in her cloak pocket.

"Thank you..." Solaria learned on the counter, "Last night was surely wild, yes? I can barely remember what happened last night."

"That's when you get when you drink..." Selene muttered.

"So...I was thinking...after you get off of work, why don't we head to the flower fields? I know you love the Maypops in the moonlight."

Selene didn't bite, "I'm busy."

Solaria shrugged, "Thankfully, we have all month..."

"I'm busy all this month..." Selene cut in.

It was only then Solaria realized Selene was disinterested.

"Was last night...not satisfying to you?"

"I never said that."

"Then why do you not favor me. Do you not favor maidens?"

"No, I really don't."

"Then did we..." terror filled Solaria's heart, "Did I not receive your consent?"

Selene's eyes widened, "What? No, you had my consent Solaria! Even in ale's embrace, you have a sense of kindness."

"Then, what is the issue?"

Selene picked up the crate and went to the many shelves of red potions of various shades, to pink to maroon, and began to stock in silence.

The realization hit Solaria like a stone, "You were just...experimenting?"

Selene froze for a moment, looking guilty at last instead of disinterested.

"I mean, it is all right that you are...but you should know...I have had affections towards you since my youth..."

Selene winced, "I had no idea...Solaria, I am truly sorry...I have just been really confused lately and I decided to try it and...I prefer men."

Solaria could hear her own heart break like a crumbling stone, "I...I see..."

"I am truly sorry Solaria...if it helps, you helped me figure out these things...and I am forever thankful. And I would be happy if we remain friends."

Solaria wanted to shout at her, but love remained. Though painful, she knew better than to argue, though she wanted to,

"Yeah...friends..." Solaria forced a smile, "Maybe we can hang out tonight though? As friends?"

Selene frowned, "I'm actually very busy, maybe tomorrow?"

Another stab at Solaria's wounded heart, but for the moment, she had to be the bigger witch.

"Sounds lovely."

Selene giggled, "See you then."

Solaria made her way to the exit, giving one final pained smile, "Until we meet again."

With the door closed and a few paces away from the hut, Solaria's hands burned with a golden fire as rage and pain fell before her. It became too much as Solaria let out a small cry of rage as she tossed a huge fire ball at a small cart that was empty and possibly abandoned.

Many people among the streets stared in horror as Solaria threw the fire ball. Causing Solaria's face to burn red.

"What are you all looking at?"

All at once everyone resumed to their day, leaving Solaria well alone.

***

Solaria let out a sigh of relief as she approached her door. She placed the hand on the knob, just hoping to hide herself away for the rest of the night. Hell, she would rather study with her stick in the mud sister in the garden. Okay, maybe she wouldn't submit herself to that torture.

Suddenly, her feet felt wet, as if she were standing in a puddle. Peering down, it was not a water puddle or mud.

It was red, black until smeared on the dirt to try and remove it.

Blood.

Solaria nearly squealed as her stomach began to turn. Her mind began to whirl. Perhaps Stellaria spilled some of that passion potion, or perhaps Solaria was the culprit. Yes, that had to be it. But Solaria couldn't recall dropping a vial. Nor were there any shards of glass.

Her heart sped up as her hands began to tremble as she turned the brass knob. Her palms sweated as she mind spilled over with the thought of blood.

Opening the door, Solaria's eyes were tainted.

Blood trailed like a tiny stream on the floor to the doorway. The cauldron was blood red. not from any potion. Blood seemed to start there.

And there was her mother, bent over the pot.

Solaria meekly approached her mother, her body numb and her vocal chords nearly stifled. She placed a hand on her head and brushed the hair from her eyes.

Stellaria's face was pale, growing cold. Her eyes were glassy and yet cloudy. There was no breath to be had. Her neck was dripping red, leaking unto the floor and onto her child's feet.

Solaria screamed.

Her voice echoed through the village, rousing crows from their fields.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

16K 884 121
Alexa Arondal is a girl like any other...or so she thought. When secrets from her past that her loved ones have concealed start to unravel, she will...
836 99 14
❝ 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐄𝐋𝐋𝐒 𝐂𝐇𝐈𝐌𝐄, 𝐃𝐄𝐌𝐈𝐒𝐄 𝐖𝐈𝐋𝐋 𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐄. ❞ Saskia Vrana knows what to do when the Nights of Smoke come: Close the win...
1.5K 79 48
One by one, each member gathered, sliced their palms and made a blood oath. They all kept it short and sweet as Antonia fought back tears. Titania...
111 16 15
A young girl named Luna must find her Father. While attempting to master her powers along the way. She meets some friends, who become her ally's in h...