Clarity || John Murphy

By Breathe_Me

***I WROTE THIS WHEN I WAS 13 PEOPLE, IT IS COMPLETELY UNEDITED AND SUCKS. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED*** After Jo... More

Preview/Copyright Statement
OTHER INFO - You will understand the story better if you read this!
Chapter One - The Lake, The Mist, and The Girl
Chapter Two - You Found Me
Chapter Four - Training
Chapter Five - Prevention
Chapter Six - Let It Burn
Chapter Seven - 'Stupidity'
Chapter Eight - What did he do?
Chapter Nine - 'Leader' Jackson
Chapter Ten - The Bet
Chapter Eleven - Chills
Chapter Twelve - Bloody Axe
Chapter Thirteen - Missing
Chapter Fourteen - Bullet Holes
Chapter Fifteen - New Beginnings
Chapter Sixteen - Hostage
Chapter Seventeen - Confliction
Chapter Eighteen - Dreamers
Chapter Nineteen - Liar Liar
Chapter Twenty - Wrecking Ball
Chapter Twenty-One - "What do you want from me?"
Chapter Twenty-Two - Confrontations
Chapter Twenty-Three - Decisions
Chapter Twenty-Four - Perfection
Chapter Twenty-Five - Finding & Reflecting
Chapter Twenty-Six - Cold Welcoming
Chapter Twenty-Seven - Taking The Risk
Chapter Twenty-Eight - Promise Me
Chapter Twenty-Nine - Breakdown
Chapter Thirty - Maps
Chapter Thirty-One - MECCA
Chapter Thirty-Two - Dear Mr. President
Chapter Thirty-Three - Back To Earth
Author's Note
THANK YOOOOOOOU!
Chapter Thirty-Four - Count Your Blessings
Chapter Thirty-Five - The Peacemaker
Chapter Thirty-Six - Confessions Of An Astro
Chapter Thirty-Seven - Desperate Measures
Chapter Thirty-Eight - Epilogue
Author's Note: Everything Else
10,000
Anyone like The Originals?
Skyfall (LAST UPDATE I PROMISE)

Chapter Three - The Colonies

8.2K 209 64
By Breathe_Me

I dunno why, but this chapter just seems really boring to me... Eh, I guess it can be a filler. Here you go:

_____________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Three

Eve sighed softly, leaving the room and shutting the door. She walked away from the doorway, leaning against the wall. She couldn't take it anymore. She couldn't think about it. She couldn't. It was impossible. She would start crying if she did, and she hadn't done that since it happened. She refused to do it.

She bit her lip, then walked down the hallway and out the front door. It was now dark, and everyone was likely asleep.

She sat down in the swinging porch bench, staring up at the sky. She

She jumped when she heard the door opening. Murphy walked out of the room, holding a shirt that she assumed he had found on one of the chairs, it was likely Jack's.

"I'm sorry." He said, leaning against the wall with his left arm. "I didn't mean to upset you."

Eve laughed bitterly. "You can stop apologizing."

He smiled. "Hmm... Using my own quote against me, are we?"

Eve nodded. She turned her head to look at him. "You're supposed to be in bed."

"By that logic, so are you. It's only a few cuts and bruises, I'm fine."

Eve sighed. "Not really. A while ago, you were screaming because you were getting punched in the sides."

Murphy nodded, staying silent for a moment, staring up at the stars. "How long was I out?"

"Three days."

Murphy's jaw dropped. He looked shocked.

They stayed in silence, until Murphy realized something. He had no idea where he was. "What is this place?"

"It's a long story." Eve mumbled, but loud enough for Murphy to hear.

"I've got time." He smiled at her, but she was staring up at the stars.

"Well, after about ten years, the radiation had stopped having such a large effect on humans. There were about ten people left in the state, which used to be filled with huge cities and small towns, some with more than a million people in them. The ten people split up into five groups, there were five women and five men. Surprisingly, they all got along well, and they met the person they loved out of those ten people. They repopulated, and now there are five colonies of about 1,000 to 10,000 people." Murphy nodded. That was a lot of people, at least, to him it was.

"Erm... Is this really a colony?" He gestured to the woods, and no other person was in sight.

Eve looked at him, and grinned. "Come on." She stood up, and grabbed his hand. Eve didn't know it, but Murphy was in pure bliss when she held his hand in hers. He stood up, and ran behind her.

He stood up, and ran behind her. They ran through the house, straight down the hallway. Before they did, however, she turned around, smiling at him. She leaned forwards. "Close your eyes." She whispered in his ear.

He stared at her, confused, but did it anyway. She took his hand, and led him to the front door.

The lights shone brightly, and Eve was surprised to see that there was still movement in the city. But, then again, that's just what it was, a city. And cities are always awake and full of life. She went on her toes, whispering in his ear again. "Now, open them."

When he did, his jaw dropped, and Eve grinned.

She liked the feeling she got when she made him happy.

*

Once Eve had left, he was soon consumed in his thoughts. Should he tell her about the 100? How would she react? Would she send people after them, too? If she did, then Murphy would be dead in seconds. He knew he would be.

The only thing that Murphy could think of to avoid that situation would be to... Trick her. To convince her that he loved her, and to convince her that she loved him back. If he did that, then he could control her and take her attention away from the ark and the 100.

Could he really do that, though? Hurt an innocent person that badly? Yes, he could. He'd done it before. The only way to make this happen would be to act like his bad, flirtatious, and horrible self. The old Murphy was back. And he was ready.

He slowly swung his legs off the bed, noticing that he was barefoot while doing so, and grabbed a shirt off one of the chairs. He stood up, and walked out of the room.

I'm sorry." He said, leaning against the wall with his left arm. "I didn't mean to upset you."

Eve laughed bitterly. "You can stop apologizing."

He smiled, but to him it was more of a smirk. "Hmm... Using my own quote agianst me, are we?"

Eve nodded. She turned her head to look at him, a soft smile on her face. "You're supposed to be in bed."

He raised a brow. "By that logic, so shoudl you. It's only a few cuts and bruises, I'm fine."

Eve sighed, shaking her head. "Not really. A while ago, you were screaming because you were getting punched in the sides."

Murphy nodded, staying silent for a moment, staring up at the stars. "How long was I out?"

"Three days."

Murphy's jaw dropped. Was it really that long? It felt like less than an hour.

They stayed in silence, until Murphy realized something. He had no idea where he was. "What is this place?

"It's a long story." Eve mumbled.

"I've got time."

"Well, after about ten years, the radiation had stopped having such a large effect on humans. There were about ten people left in this state, which used to be filled with huge cities and small towns, some with more than a million people in them. The ten people split up into five groups, there were five women and five men. Surprisingly, they all got along well, and they met the person they loved out of those ten people. They repopulated, and now there are five colonies of about 1,000 to 10,000 people."

"Erm... Is this really a colony?" He gestured to the woods, and no other person was in sight.

Eve looked at him, and grinned. "Come on." She stood up, and grabbed his hand. Murphy almost gasped when she did. He felt tingles when she touched him. Why was he feeling this? He prayed that he wasn't falling for her. It was probably just a shock.

They ran through the house, straight down the hallway. Before they did, however, she turned around, smiling at him. She leaned forwards. "Close your eyes." She whispered in his ear, and she didn't know it, but that one action sent involuntary shivers down his spine.

He stared at her, confused and not sure if he could trust her, but he did it anyway. She took his hand, and led him to the front door. And, once again, there were the damn tingles.

She smiled, then moved behind him, grabbing his shoulders and moving him to the front door. Once they were in front of it, she went up on her toes and whispered in his ear. "Now, open them."

When he did, his jaw dropped, causing Eve to grin. It was bright, so bright. It looked huge, with tall buildings with hundreds of windows and small houses everywhere. There were smaller buildings as well, with food lining the shelves and windows.

"This is... Amazing." Murphy grinned. He ran out onto the deck, looking at everything and everyone.

"Yes, well, this is what happens when you have 87 years to repopulate. You build the necessities. And a little luxury." She winked at him, and he chuckled.

"Show me around!" Murphy grinned. He felt like a little five year old that was in, what did they call it... A toy shop? It was a strange feeling. He hadn't felt it since he truly was five.

Eve shook her head, laughing. "No, you have to rest. Come on." She grabbed his hand, and Murphy wanted to yell in frustration when he felt those stupid tingles again. She led him to the room he had been in before, and led him to the bed. "Now, sleep."

He sat down on the bed, and she walked towards the door. "Eve," She turned to face him. "Thank you." He smiled softly at her.

She nodded. "You're welcome, Murphy."

She left, and he smiled softly to himself. That night, he convinced himself that he would make her fall for him, but he would never fall for her... Would he?

*

Eve sighed when she woke up, her back aching. She wouldn't be surprised if it was as bruised as Murphy's was, considering how uncomfortable that stupid couch was. She had to take the couch last night, because she had let Murphy sleep in the bedroom. It was one of the extra houses, and she had been told that Murphy could stay there if he wanted. However, she didn't want to leave him alone, so she slept in the living room instead of walking back to her apartment.

She swung her legs off the couch, and stood up, stretching and feeling a few of her bones cracking. She groaned, then walked over to the kitchen. She started to get some things out, but then realized that she had no idea what Murphy liked.

Eve walked down the hallway, knocking on the door. "Murphy?"

"Yeah?" She heard slight movement in the room, which meant that he was up and awake.

She opened the door, and was slightly surprised to see a very toned back facing her. His muscles, of which he had hid well under his jacket and t-shirt, rippled as he pulled a shirt over his head. Her eyes widened, and she shut the door again. "Uh, what do you want for breakfast?"

Suddenly the door opened again, to reveal a smirking Murphy. "So, you do like what you see? And be honest this time."

She narrowed her eyes at him, embarrassed. "Just tell me what you want." She crossed her arms over her chest

He chuckled, shaking his head. "It's fine, Eve. I can make my own breakfast, you don't have to do it for me."

Eve raised an eyebrow. "Oh really? Well, twenty four hours ago, you were lying on a bed unconscious and groaning, all because of me. I think that I should at least make you breakfast." She turned on her heel, and took long strides down the hallway.

"Okay, one, when are you going to let that go? I'm fine now. And two, what makes you say that? It's not your fault that the grounders found me."

She stopped in her tracks, making him stop right behind her. "Yes... It was. I practically let you into their territory. I wasn't thinking straight."

"You need to let it go." He whispered from behind her, and it was only then that she realized exactly how close their bodies were. She shivered slightly after feeling his warm breath against her neck.

"I can't." She said quietly, walking faster down the hallway and into the kitchen.

She guessed that he gave up on the subject, considering that he walked into the kitchen behind her silently.

He stared at the oven and microwave. "So, um... I have some news."

"And what would that be?" She asked as she pulled eggs and bacon out of the fridge.

He looked at her, frowning. "I actually don't know how to make my own breakfast. I have no idea what that thing is." He pointed at the oven.

Eve laughed. "Did you not learn to cook on the ark?"

He frowned, and shook his head. "No, we had cooks and farmers that took care of it for us."

She chuckled. "Sounds like the pampered life."

He shook his head again. "No, not really. It sure wasn't fun, I can tell you that. I was locked up for a quarter of my life."

"When did you murder that person, exactly?"

"When I was twelve."

She stopped what she was doing, almost dropping the eggs. "What? How old are you now?"

"I'm almost eighteen."

"Wow... Same age as me. Well, that's interesting." She mumbled as she cracked the eggs on the side of a frying pan, and dropped the insides into the pan.

"How are you not afraid of me?" He seemed truly curious, and he also seemed like he thought she was insane.

"I've been around people that have killed each other their entire lives. Just because you're from space doesn't make you any different, Murphy." She didn’t like the memories that came flooding back, but he needed to know that not everyone is afraid of him.

"What do you mean by that?" He asked curiously, watching as the egg began to sizzle in the pan.

Eve sighed, turning from the stove to face him. "How about we make a pact? You don't ask about my past, and I won't ask about yours." She stuck out her hand for confirmation. "Do we have a deal?"

Murphy grinned, taking her hand and shaking it. "Deal."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48 0 7
A boy struggles to find his place among the small amount of people left, after the explosion. The explosion of the planet, that is. Earth day? Who ca...
185K 5.7K 23
in which Erica Parker escapes Mount Weather, and lands right in the middle of a war between peoples, finding romance along the way. "Love is not weak...
93 0 8
when the world ends and the last of the human race is on a space station made up of 12 different space stations, they call it the Ark. after 97 years...
5.8K 230 51
After Murphy is banished he never comes back and they all assume he's dead. A year passes and the Grounders and Sky people are no longer at war, but...