Just Listen (One Direction)

By CharlieA

Harmony Brown is deaf. She wasn't always deaf, but four years ago she was overcame by an illness that took h... More

Just Listen (One Direction)
Just Listen ~ Chapter 1
Just Listen ~ Chapter 2
Just Listen ~ Chapter 3
Just Listen ~ Chapter 4
Just Listen ~ Chapter 5
Just Listen ~ Chapter 7
Just Listen ~ Chapter 8
Just Listen ~ Chapter 9
Just Listen ~ Chapter 10
Just Listen ~ Chapter 11
Just Listen ~ Chapter 12
Just Listen ~ Chapter 13
Just Listen ~ Chapter 14
Just Listen ~ Chapter 15
Just Listen ~ Chapter 16
Just Listen ~ Chapter 17
Just Listen ~ Chapter 18
Just Listen ~ Chapter 19
Just Listen ~ Epilogue

Just Listen ~ Chapter 6

20.9K 381 62
By CharlieA

Okay here's the next chapter! Kind of dull but important :) Enjoy! Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Chapter 6

I felt my hands push lightly on his chest as I broke the kiss. My eyes widened as my hand went up to my mouth, still in shock at what just happened. Harry was moving his lips, he was saying something to me, but I couldn't exactly get my attention to focus in on his lips, I was afraid that I might just kiss him again. He took a step forward, I took a step back, he furrowed his eyebrows as he smiled at me. "Harmony," I saw his lips move, I was finally getting myself back together.

"We kissed," it wasn't a question nor a statement, it was merely an acknowledgment. I wasn't sure why I had said it or maybe I didn't, maybe the vibrations were just an hallucination from my throat. I stared at Harry, he was not fazed at all, then again he was Harry Styles, the player of the group, the one that's probably kissed more then one of his fans or girls for that matter.

"Yes we did," Harry replied easily as he smiled down at me.

I immediately shook my head, that couldn't happen. I couldn't like Harry Styles, as friends maybe, but not more. It would never work out, he was a popstar, I was deaf. He had millions of girls after him, I would have millions of girls claiming my head. "I'm sorry, it shouldn't have happened." I felt the vibrations in my throat as I moved to walk past him, he grabbed my arm in an attempt to stop me. I looked back at him, what the hell was he thinking?

"I'm not." I read his lips, hoping that I was misreading them, but I wasn't. I removed my arm from his grip.

"Harry, it, I mean." I was unaware what I was trying to say. I was trying to tell him it would never work, a relationship with him and me, but at the same time, maybe he didn't want a relationship. People felt physically attracted to people all the time without any feelings following those, maybe he was just attracted to me like I was and it was nothing but purely physical, then again why in the hell would he be physically attracted to me? I felt a tap on my shoulder puling me out of my trance as I looked up at Harry, his vibrant green eyes always caught a hold of me.

"Harmony, I like you, it's pretty obvious." Harry said as if it was nothing, I mean I saw signs. The way he would flirt with me and always put a frown on when I didn't really pay attention to him, but at the same time he would flirt with all his fans, wouldn't he? Plus, it could never work with someone like me with someone like him.

"Harry," I felt the vibrations in my throat again as I quickly signed, 'It's not going to work. You're a popstar, I'm deaf. Plus you're leaving today for Florida!'  

Harry raised his eyebrow down at me, I knew he could get one or two pieces of that, I mean he wasn't an expert on interrupting signing. "What?"

"My point exactly," I felt the vibrations in my throat. I played dirty, I wanted to make a point, it couldn't work between a hearing person and a deaf girl, not with me at least. 

"That's a low blow," Harry's lips moved as he stared down at me, "Give me a chance."

"You're leaving for Florida today."

"That doesn't mean I won't ever talk to you or see you again. Give me a chance Harmony." Harry said as he stared down at me, I glared up at him. Suddenly angry at him for putting me in this kind of position.

"You'll be gone for how long? Plus you're not exactly the best signer, plus there's millions of girls that like you and that would murder me if I were to date you." I replied as I felt the vibrations run through me like an energy drink, I was spitting out everything and hoping it all made sense and sounded good. "I'm not going out with you."

Harry frowned down at me, "I'm not saying going out."

'You think I want to just mess around?!' I signed angrily, my throat was hurting from being used so much. I usually never yelled, and I was pretty sure I was yelling earlier by the way my throat ached.

"I'm saying, let's talk. We won't promise each other anything, but let's at least stay in touch and for you to just give me a chance." Harry's lips moved as he stepped closer to me, I looked up into his vibrant green eyes, feeling my guard go down once again. Something that made me uneasy with the boy, but made me love the feeling at the same time. Harry treated me as if I could hear, as if I was normal, and that's I think what scared me the most.

It wasn't like I don't like Harry, I mean he is Harry Styles, attractive bloke form England, and he was charming. Who really couldn't like him? But that's the thing, he was Harry Styles, from One Direction, every girl wanted him, and this would be the last time I would see him. When would I ever really see him again? I stared up into those vibrant green eyes, feeling myself draw to him, it was a risky chance, but it's not like it was a promise. 'Fine, we're talking, just talking.'

Harry's lips formed into one of the largest smiles I've ever seen before, "You're not going to regret this Harmony."

I rolled my eyes, after him being gone for awhile and not seeing him, he'd forget about me and I about him. Harry's head turned towards the side as I looked over to see Olivia and the rest of the boys behind her as they stared at the two of us, all the boys' mouths dropped open. "Harry," Louis stated as he stared at the curly headed boy standing in front of me.

"Are you wearing clothes?" Liam asked staring at him.

"And you just woke up?" Niall continued as I moved from lips to lips until I reached Zayn's who smiled.

"Looks like we've finally found a girl who can make Harry sleep with his clothes on." I felt my cheeks flush a rosy color as I glanced over at Harry who grinned down at me.

"Maybe that means she's the one," Harry replied with a wink as he smiled down at me. I rolled my eyes as I walked past the group of people and into the living area. Wondering, what in the hell I had gotten myself into with all these boys and especially with Harry Styles.

***

Olivia moppily walked into out hotel room, we had just gotten done saying goodbye to the boys, and in all honesty it was one of the saddest things I had to do. Who knew, saying goodbye to five good looking guys you met just four days ago would be so hard? But I think what was more surprising was seeing Zayn give Olivia a rather passionate kiss before he left. I had grilled her on the way back, and apparently last night they talked and were currently dating. She was so happy that I didn't want to ruin it by mentioning that she had to deal with millions of other girls and the fact that he would be gone for awhile.

"I'm going to miss them all," Olivia said as she looked down at me, I nodded my head as I walked over to the couch. I felt her kick my foot lightly as I looked up at her, "What happened between you and Harry?"

'Nothing,' I signed casually, hoping she wouldn't see through my facade.

"Come on Har, we all know something went down with you and Harry. What happened?" Olivia asked as I sighed.

'You're not the only one who was asked out.'

Olivia immediately did a crazy kind of dance in the middle of the room as she flapped her arms around, she looked like she was going crazy. "Are you serious?!"

'Yes, but I turned him down.' I immediately regretted signing that as Olivia stared at me, giving me one of the most scariest glares I've ever seen on her.

"You did what?!" Even though I couldn't hear her, I assumed she squealed.

'Unlike you Olivia, I'm not all sure about dating a popstar. I can barely make a relationship with a hearing person last, how am I going to be able to be in a relationship with a member from a british boy band?' I signed incredulously, I mean my last relationship was short and ended badly, what gave me any reason that this one, out of the past ones, would work?

"Are you at least giving him a chance?" Olivia asked as I nodded my head. "Do you have his number? Are you guys going to video chat? Are you--"

I flapped my hands in front of her, stopping her from blabbering so much, 'Olivia, I said I would give him a chance.'

"Alright, because he really likes you." Olivia said before she left to go into the bathroom. I felt my phone vibrate as I took it out and I couldn't help but smile at the text.

From: Harry SexyPants Styles ;)

Helloo Beautiful! The boys and I miss you, but I miss you more ;)

I didn't even bother wondering how in God's name Harry had gotten my phone and put his own number in my contacts. All I could do was smile. It was then I realized I wouldn't be able to resist his charm, but I wouldn't let him know that. Not yet. I quickly texted him back and then responded to the other texts the boys sent me and then my mother. Already just an hour without Harry and them and I was already feeling lonely.

~~Two Weeks Later~~

I felt something being tossed at my head as I fell back on my bed and my phone fell from my grasp. I glared at the culprit sitting on my bedroom floor, Matt Bowman--my best guy friend of all time glared up at me. 'I do believe I was talking to you.' Matt signed as I stuck my tongue out at him and reached down for my phone before he took it, a large smirk forming on his mouth.

'Give me back my phone,' I signed angrily as I glared at Matt, getting up from my bed. Matt was also "hearing impaired" as they called it, he wasn't fully deaf, just partially.

'Not until I see who you're texting," He signed back as he looked through my phone, his eyebrows arched up as I snatched my phone from his greedy hands, feeling a slight blush rising to my cheeks. 'It's that Harry guy from One Direction again, isn't it?'

'Not just Harry, I text the others too.' I signed quickly, it was true, but I usually texted Harry more, because he would talk to me everyday, from the time he woke up to the time I fell asleep. 

'You do realize it's not exactly the best relationship to have, he's a hearing guy for one thing.' Matt signed as I frowned at him, I've been through this over a billion times with myself. Of course I knew that if we even got in a relationship, it wouldn't work out well, but I couldn't help myself. I was drawn to Harry Styles, and not because he was from One Direction, because God knows I couldn't even like their music even if I wanted to, but because he was an individual and a charming one at that.

'Matt I know. It's not like we're in a relationship or anything. We're just talking.' I replied as Matt frowned at me about to say more when I felt my phone vibrate once more.

From: Nialler :) 

Olivia is about to come into your room once you finish reading this, and ask you to video chat with us. You should definitely do it :)

And as if on queue, once I finished reading the text I looked up to see Olivia walking through my door with a large smile. 'Let me guess, you want to video chat with the boys?' I signed as Olivia's mouth dropped.

"How did you know?!" Olivia asked as I grinned.

'A bit of luck from the Irish.' I signed with a wink as Olivia frowned.

"That Niall, I told him to keep it a surprise!" Olivia replied as I looked down to see Matt standing up.

'I believe that is my queue to leave.'

"Oh come on Matt, you don't have to leave. You can meet my lovely boyfriend and Harmony's soon-to-be boyfriend, or does it still pain you that she doesn't reciprocate your feelings because you're neither deaf nor hearing." Olivia replied as I frowned up at Olivia, Matt gave her the bird before he smiled in my direction.

'Don't get too deep with them. You do realize that they leave for London after the tour.' Matt replied as he started to walk out of the door until he glanced at the violin gathering dust in my bedroom corner, 'Oh and my band is still looking for another member.'

'Not happening Matt, sorry.' I signed back as Matt just shrugged before he left. He was only partially deaf, which meant he could still hear the tone and melody of music, not me. I then turned my attention to Olivia with a glare. 'Olivia, that was mean of you to say to Matt.'

"Sorry, but he just irks me!" Olivia replied as I glared at her. Matt and her were never the greatest of friends, mostly because Matt seemed to have a problem with hearing people even though he was still partially hearing, and Olivia had a problem with Matt because apparently they had a hook up sophomore year and he told her she wasn't any good in bed. Nonetheless, they weren't exactly friends, but put up with each other because of me. Matt was a year older then me, but he was one of my friends because he knew how I felt. We lived in a small town so there weren't exactly many deaf or hearing impaired people that weren't over sixty. I felt a tug on my sleeve as I looked to see Olivia had already logged onto my computer and had Skype running. "Well are you coming over here or what?"

'Exactly why did the boys want to Skype? Aren't they busy in Tennessee?' I signed, they had left Florida about a week ago and were now either in Tennessee or North Carolina, not sure which one Harry said they were going to next. 

"They wanted to see our beautiful faces!" Olivia replied with a large smile, "Well mostly yours, I think they like you more."

I rolled my eyes, 'I'm sure Zayn likes you twice as much if not more than me.'  Olivia smiled shyly before she opened her mouth, I assumed she squealed because she immediately clamped her hand over her mouth as I noticed the green dot next to Zayn Malik's name. I had all of the boys' contacts on Skype, but we rarely used it to talk to one another. I wasn't exactly the best chatter on a video chat.

Before I knew it the boys were in a small screen on my computer all waving at me. They looked to be in casual wear consisting of either loose shirts or in Liam's case, plaid button up shirts. I immediately spotted Harry leaning his head on Louis, he was wearing a white v-neck that showed his chest and a gray beanie. I smiled in his direction as I waved towards the boys, they all looked somewhat blurry but I could see their smiles and frantic hands moving back and forth as they waved towards me. "Hi boys!" I saw Olivia's mouth move next to me as she waved to the boys, they started saying something but with the video sort of blurry it was hard to read any of their lips.

I sighed, yet another thing that made me feel like an outcast in the world of hearing people. I felt a tug on my arm as I looked over at Olivia, "They want to know how you're doing. Harry says he misses you a lot, but then Louis said he misses you more and says you should runaway with him to Vegas." I smiled at her and then at the screen of the boys, my eyes widened slightly as I saw them signing something.

'We miss you Harmony.' I saw them all sign in my direction, it was a bit rough, but I knew what they were saying. I smiled in their directions.

'You're getting better!' I signed back as Liam grinned.

'We've been practicing a lot.' Liam replied as he mouthed the words as well. I looked over at Olivia with a large smile as she smirked and then looked back at the boys who were talking, Niall had somehow managed to have a bowl full of what looked to be chili. I shook my head at the Irish boy as I smiled at the five boys were seemed to be anxiously talking to Olivia about something, before she turned towards me.

"They said to wake up early tomorrow and to get on twitter." Olivia said as I arched my eyebrow as I looked at the boys.

'What for?'

'It's a surprise!' Louis signed eagerly as I looked at the boys who all seemed to be smirking. 

'Okay, well how's Tennessee?' I asked as they all smiled again.

'We're not in Tennessee anymore.' Zayn replied as I arched an eyebrow.

'North Carolina?' They shook their head as I frowned, 'Where are you guys then?'

'We're on a plane. Heading to our next spot.'  Niall signed as I arched an eyebrow up and looked over at Olivia who was smiling.

'Where are they?'

"On a plane, probably heading to Malibu, California. Who knows, as long as Zayn keeps his hands to himself." Olivia replied with a wink as she looked over at Zayn who smirked at her, "As well as Harry."

I rolled my eyes as I looked towards the screen as Harry smiled at me, even through a camera his vibrant green eyes seemed to captivate me. There must have been some noise because all the boys' head turned to the left and they discussed something with an invisible figure. I looked down to see Olivia frowned slightly, giving me the sign that they had to leave. I looked back to the screen to see Liam signing to  me, 'We're landing soon, so we have to go.'

'But wake up and check twitter, be up by nine!' Harry signed with a smile as I nodded my head as Louis smirked.

'See you soon girls!' Louis signed eagerly before they signed off. I arched an eyebrow as I looked an the empty screen where the boys were just were as Olivia stood up. I wonder what he meant by "see you soon" would there be another video chat? I shrugged as I shut the computer and felt the vibration of my phone. 

From: Daddy Directioner :)

Make sure you're home tomorrow! Good night Harmony! :)

I arched my eyebrow up at the text. Now I was definitely confused. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.9K 776 34
A story about a swimmer, who won tickets to go see 1D in concert in London with 4 of her friends. When they get to the hotel, they get the best surpr...
2.5K 227 25
"Rose,"I look up and see Jace staring at me. "What?" I whisper quietly. "Give me the answers to questions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8," "That's all of...
11.3K 218 19
Six teenage girls, who just so happen to be spy's, get assigned a mission to rescue One Direction. But when they discover that the have feelings for...
5.2K 116 43
-*W A R N I N G *- : Sorry beforehand if this story is cliche and doesn't make since I wrote this when I was a mere teen, it was my very first story...