Friends with the King of the...

Av _lovepenny

Emylin is a human. Her best friend, Damien, is not. He's the mysterious, handsome King of the Underworld. A s... Mer

Copyright
Playlist
Trailer
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Pronunciations
Aesthetic/Art

Chapter Fifteen

68.5K 4.5K 417
Av _lovepenny

I knocked on the door of the address Leah texted me. It was an apartment near campus known to be a main hub that many students rented. It was modest and close enough that it was convenient to live at and go to school.

It was a simple community and so far boasted more security than really required.

Leah opened the door with a beaming smile.

Instantly, I felt underdressed.

The white dress hugged her figure closely and the plunging neckline made me feel inadequate. She curled her hair and attached silver streaks to it. On the top of her head sat a pink feathered plastic crown with the word "Bride" in bold black letters.

She outdid herself in make-up with darker colors and expertly done lips and eyes.

She was breathtaking.

I was definitely underdressed.

"You made it!" She jumped with joy and captured me in a large hug. "Mia, look who's here!"

I watched as Mia emerged from a room inside the apartment. She, too, was dressed ready for the party. She shone in a sequin gold dress with necklaces and bracelets and some of the highest heels I'd ever seen.

She smiled from the doorway in the living room. "So nice of you to join us."

Surprised at her tone, I frowned. It made me question why I was there in the first place.

Leah let me go from the immense hug and stood back. "Is that what you're wearing?"

I looked down at my jeans, black blouse and flats.

Leah laughed and stood aside, welcoming me inside, "Come on in."

-----------

Leah looked at me in an appreciative way. "You know, Emmy, I don't think I've ever seen you in heels before."

Mia snickered. "You do know how to walk in them, don't you?"

I gave her the stink-eye. "Just because I choose to wear flats and sandals, it does not mean I don't know how to walk in them. I walk in them pretty well, thanks."

In the end after much fighting and back and forth, they'd managed to put me in a see-through black long-sleeve top. I had a black bra underneath which matched pretty well with the waist-high fake leather pink mini skirt. I felt like I was more covered in a towel but it was the only top Leah had that would cover the neck.

The handprint was still there and while it was fading, it wasn't doing it as fast as I wanted it to. I didn't want to bring it up until after Leah's bachelorette party not wanting to take away from any of the fun. I resigned to the see-through shirt since the thick black turtleneck collar that was attached covered everything how I wanted it to.

Leah did notice it though.

She noticed it as she curled my hair with the curling iron. She had let one go and let it bounce on my shoulder when she noticed it. She glanced at my neck and watched my face in the mirror. I watched her as she called to Mia. "Hey, do you think you can get me a glass of water?"

Mia sighed and left the room.

Leah approached me and tugged at the collar of the shirt. "What's this? What's going on?"

I pulled away from her reach. "Nothing, I just had an accident."

Leah shook her head and whispered, "That's not nothing. That looks like magic. What happened while Damien and I were gone?"

This new Leah surprised me. She'd never shown that she'd care about me - she was only ever mean. Her eyes were sympathetic now, full of concern. Even her face was solemn - she knew the seriousness of the situation.

I'm not sure what happened while Damien and her were away but she was concerned, compassionate, much kinder ...

Like a Queen.

I closed my eyes. I could still see the glee in the Dark-Haired Man's eyes as he squeezed. It was still terrifying. I took a breath. "Nothing. I had a dream and woke up with - this."

I was too tired to explain everything. The previous night I didn't have much sleep either. Dad burst into my room after I woke from my nightmare in the middle of the night with a bat scared out of his mind because of my screaming.

I couldn't remember what the dream was about only that I woke from it a sweating, screaming mess.

Leah shook her head. "You need to tell Damien, Emmy. Look at you. You're shaking. You're on the verge of tears."

I touched the corners of my eyes. She was right, I felt the tears there. I sniffled and took a breath. "I will tell him. Just after the party, I don't want to ruin anything for the two of you."

She didn't look convinced and was reaching toward her phone when I grabbed her hand and looked at her in the eye. "I promise."

Leah didn't argue once Mia was back in the room. She turned the other persona back on - the public one I'd seen before and smiled at Mia. She took a drink from the water and handed it back to her friend. "Thank you."

Leah gave me a definite look letting me know she wasn't letting me off the hook. She continued to do my makeup and hair and once satisfied we left.

The club was in the downtown area of the larger metropolis over an hour from our own little city. Mia drove with Leah the passenger. They sang loudly to the latest hits, while I sat in the backseat on my phone, not knowing any of the lyrics.

We eventually made it and I, again, regretted being there. People crowded the entrance and a large line snaked around the building. The beat of the music inside pulsed through the night and out to the parking lot. It got louder as we approached already giving me anxiety.

Mia groaned and stomped loudly through the parking lot as we approached the entrance. "Ugh! Look at this line! Is everyone already inside?"

Leah nodded but didn't tear her gaze away from the phone she held firmly in both her hands. "Yeah, they texted me earlier. And don't worry about the line."

Mia scoffed. "Yeah, right," sarcasm dripped in her voice. "You all of a sudden can skip the line?"

Leah gave a mischievous smiled. "Follow my lead."

The lights flashed in different colors casting shadows on the freshly rained ground. As we walked up to the entrance, I already knew what Leah was going to do.

The bouncer at the door ID'd the front of the line before he let them in. Leah strolled up to him and gently touched his burly shoulder. She whispered something in his ear then looked at us.

The large man smiled and nodded as Leah spoke in his ear. After several seconds, he opened the velvet rope dividing us then held the door open.

Mia stared in amazement while I laughed to myself.

Magic.

Of course, she was using magic.

He bowed magnificently in front of Leah. "My Queen, please enter."

Leah and Mia giggled as they made their way inside. I followed sheepishly, incredibly uncomfortable at the stares and cursing that erupted from the line trying to enter the club.

I regretted my decision to join them for a third time that evening as I entered the club. It was too obnoxiously loud.

Mia grabbed my hand. "Come on," she screamed over the pounding music. "Don't get lost, Leah tends to move fast at these places."

I followed obediently and was led to the second floor where Mia questioned Leah. "What are we doing up here?"

Leah giggled and stopped before what looked like a private room. "Did I mention that my fiancé is filthy rich?"

Mia laughed as Leah opened the door and entered.

It was a private room that overlooked the crowd dancing below. It had its own bar with a bartender, couches for lounging and small dance floor. There were other girls there that I recognized from college that cheered as soon as Leah showed up.

I knew them, they never hung out with Leah. I started questioning what they were doing there when Damien appeared next to me.

I turned to him, surprised that he was bold enough to appear in the middle of the club.  I panicked. It couldn't be a good thing that Damien was there. My hand went to my neck. Had Leah told him? Had something happened?

He noticed and he laughed, "Relax, I took the stairs."

"Damien!"

I cringed at the sudden mention of his name. It wasn't used to someone else calling him. After so many years of being a secret from so many people, it would take some getting used to.

Leah bounded towards him and I watched all of the girls almost gasp in unison as they noticed him at the door.

Mia was the first to speak, "Well, crap. Where can I get one?"

Fortsett Γ₯ les

You'll Also Like

4.1K 526 58
Demons, vampires, witchcraft, abandonment; Marissa Carter has problems others don't see. As the daughter of a banished witch and a normal human, she...
145K 7.8K 41
Meredith had always known about magic. Her family was magic, one of the most powerful mage lines out there. Having lost her parents to all the fighti...
7.9M 328K 153
*Book 1 in the Soulmates Series* πŸŽ–Featured Reading Lists: β€’@Wattpad's Editor's Pick & Spring Cleaning β€’@TeenFiction Soul Deep β€’@WattpadRoyals Fantas...
129K 4.5K 28
Tiffany Veyne is an ordinary girl (well she thinks she is). Good grades, she doesn't like school that much, but there is something she does not know...