XJ → Harry Hook [1]✔

By abouttoexpplode

Shan Yu could be argued to be the cruelest villain of all time. Maleficent terrorized a kingdom, never really... More

Betrayal
Visit
Surprise Arrival
Arm Wrestling
The Map
The Kidnapping
Showdown
Aftermath
Invitation
Auradon Prep
Breakfast
Classes
Chad's Deal
Tattle-tale
Getting Away
Trespassing
Wrong
Bets
'Abilities'
Exceptions
Dresses and Suits
Hooked
Romantic Advice
The Hawk
The Spell Book
Home Sweet Home
Switched
Wings and Talons
Gold and Purple
Sleeping Beauty
Suspects
Transformations
Requests
Decisions, decisions (CLOSED)
Conscience
Happy

Loud and Clear

6.6K 213 32
By abouttoexpplode

Harry yelped triumphantly and punched the air. He had finally gone through the last file. He snapped shut XJ's laptop and glanced over at a piece of wrinkled paper that was lying next to him as he sat on his bed. He had scribbled a list of names on them. There weren't that many but he still probably should have used a digital document. The thought struck him only now and he almost slapped himself.

He picked up the piece of paper and read through it:

LONNIE FA

AUDREY

JANE

PIPER PAN

The only name that was unfamiliar to him was the last girl. Apparently, she was the daughter of Peter Pan, his father's arch-nemesis, which was why she had gone out her way to stay away from him as much as possible.

She didn't seem as mischievous as her father, or as bold. The only reason why she was even on the list was because of her father's pixie dust. The mystery behind how she had come to be while her father was still a child was cracked when she finally came to Auradon Prep.

Peter Pan had gotten a little bored of being so young. He wasn't exactly an adult, but he had laid off the magic until he had grown to be eighteen. Piper's mother was not known, but it was rumored to be one of the mermaids from the lake in Neverland.

Either way, Piper Pan had no reason to harm XJ, but she definitely did have one to hurt Harry. Harry didn't know whether people in Auradon were capable of being so cynical, but if Piper was trying to get to Harry by putting XJ under...

Harry glanced up at the clock and grinned. It was around midnight, and the nurse would most definitely be absent. Harry jumped up from his bed, stuffed the piece of paper into his coat pocket and walked out of his dorm.

He carefully walked down the stairs and in no time, he found himself in the hospital wing. He smirked as he sat down on his usual chair next to XJ, "I found something interesting today."

Elaborate. The familiar sound of XJ's voice made Harry breathe out a sigh of relief, even if it was rather blunt.

"So I have four suspects - you know three: Lonnie, Jane and Audrey. Lonnie because you managed to pull out magic as well, so who knows if she can, since she's the polar opposite of you; Jane because of her mother and Audrey because of her family's history with Maleficent. Maybe her mom managed to get magic seeped into her blood when she got her finger pricked - who knows?"

Who's the fourth?

"Piper Pan."

The daughter of Peter Pan? Harry could almost feel the skepticism coming off her voice and into the air.

"Yeah, I figured that if she wanted to hurt me, she'd - "

Hurt me instead, yeah, I can see the motive behind that. XJ filled in. I went over the things I found on her once - she doesn't seem to be the type to hold a grudge.

"My father didn't seem to be the type to fall off of his own ship either."

Mm, XJ hummed thoughtfully. I take it that she's been avoiding the two of us since I haven't seen her around much.

"You're right about that. What about the other three?"

Keep tabs on them too. People can dissemble their true intentions fairly easily. I doubt that Jane might have a grudge against me, but Lonnie might. I did trick her after all. Audrey might not want me around either, being the center of attention.

"Has it ever occurred to you that I'm not four people all at the same time?"

Find a way then. I can't instruct everything you do, and I'm a little busy fighting for my life myself, thank you very much.

"That's your way of saying that you don't know, isn't it?"

No comment. XJ declared. Harry could practically hear how much she wanted to hit him. He almost smiled.

"Alright. How are you doing?" Harry asked, changing the subject.

I haven't detected anything wrong with my system so far, if that's what you mean.

"You know it isn't."

Harry heard XJ sigh. I'm physically in a coma, Hook. This is hardly the time to talk about drama.

"What happened between us isn't drama." Harry said gently.

Emotions, then. This isn't the time to discuss petty things.

"Assuming that you do somehow die - "

Which will not happen.

" - I don't want this to be the last thing you think of me."

What's 'this', exactly?

Harry hesitated for a bit, looking for the right word. "Bad blood, I guess."

XJ laughed. Bad blood? Hook, the only reason why you're not on my hit list is because you're helping me here. Don't push your luck; we're only square once you finish the investigation. I can start a war again if I want to. I don't owe you anything.

"So I guess it's more than just bad blood then,"

Of course it's more than just bad blood!  XJ snapped. What did you think would happen? You should have known from the second you met me that I can't forgive!

"Can't?" Harry asked, noticing her choice of words.

XJ sighed. Yes, I can't. I can't forgive and I can't forget. When Uma and Gil have mysteriously 'disappeared', I'm tracking down my father. There's an example for you.

"How are you so sure that he's still alive? He hasn't contacted you in years; he could be dead in a ditch, you know that, right?" Harry frowned as he crossed his arms over his chest.

I do, but until then, he's alive and I'm going to fix that. If he does turn out to he dead, then I'll leave him that way. My only regret will be not being able to see the fear in his eyes had I killed him, as well as the humiliation and regret for being bested by someone he thought was worth nothing.

"That's...dark." Harry commented blandly, not really knowing what to say.

I didn't ask for your opinion. XJ sniffed. Anyway, trail all four of them. That is everyone on the list, right?

"As many as I thought were possible suspects, yeah. Anything else?"

Yes, actually. Bring them each here one at a time and see if I'll see if it is their magic.

"You can tell?"

Everyone has a specific signature, even those who don't have magic. I can smell it.

"So what's mine?"

Excuse me?

"What's my signature?" Harry asked again.

You want me to tell you your signature? XJ laughed. You think I'm insane, don't you?

"What - why?" Harry asked, blinking in confusion.

If I tell you how even the slightest bit of the inside of my head works, it's going to bite me back sooner or later.

"Xiao," Harry sighed, "Why do you keep thinking that everyone's out to get you?"

BECAUSE THEY ARE! XJ roared. THE WORLD LEFT ME! EVERYONE LEFT ME! EVERYONE PLAYED ME FOR A FOOL!

"Xiao, nobody left you - "

XJ laughed like she was deranged. Don't pretend like you don't feel the same. The world left both of us, Hook. XJ hissed. NOBODY CARES FOR THE CHILDREN LEFT ON THE ISLE! NOBODY CARES FOR PEOPLE LIKE US!

Harry furrowed his brows in bewilderment. "What are you talking about?"

NOBODY CARES FOR THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE AT THE BOTTOM! XJ roared again. That's why I made a promise. She snarled. I made a promise to turn the tables. I made a promise that I would be the one to make the people who never cast a glance at me to feel the way I did.

For once, Harry was glad that XJ couldn't make any physical facial expressions, and more so that he couldn't see it. Just by the sound of her voice, Harry already felt his heart break into two.

"Xiao," He said gently but cautiously. "They care."

XJ snorted. No, they don't. The world doesn't give a sh - 

"Xiao," Harry interrupted her. "You're right: The world doesn't care. The world did leave us."

So you admit that I'm right?

Harry hesitated before answering. "I do, but you're only right about the world leaving us. You're not right about nobody caring."

XJ snorted derisively. Name one person who ever cared about me. Name one person who ever cared about the ones on the Isle.

"Me."

You? Harry could almost see her eyebrows shooting up. You are a child from the Isle.

"You said 'Name one person who ever cared about me'. I did, and I still do."

You wouldn't have lied to me if you did care, Hook. XJ snarled. You don't care, so I return the favor. I don't care about you. You just owe me. Once this is over, I'm never throwing even a look in your direction ever again. Do you hear me?

Harry was silent for a bit before finally answering.

"Yes. Loud and clear."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 40 9
Heather Westergaurd was a true princess. She was beautiful, kind, and ever gentle, for these where the values her father taught her to be, at least i...
114K 2.9K 58
There's so many ways to be wicked. Here's mine. ____________________________________ Camilla De Vil was always the favorite in her mother's eyes. She...
39.9K 871 23
Once upon a time, in a kingdom known as Auradon, lived a young prince. He was one of the most kind and caring princes the kingdom ever had. He cared...
32.6K 510 12
[Disney Descendants Jay x Female!Reader] 16 years ago my mother, the Queen of Hearts, gave birth to her one and only child. Now, being the person she...