NIGERIAN SWEETHEARTS; An Arra...

By nimicrystal

Jamilah Abubakar is a beautiful Nigerian Muslim. Fate seems to smile on her as she is selected by the Preside... More

hello readers
CHAPTER _1 Aisha's wedding
CHAPTER 2--I AM JAMILAH
CHAPTER 3__Aso Rock Invite
CHAPTER 4__Project Jamilah
CHAPTER 5___Nigerian SWEETHEARTS
CHAPTER 6_'WORK SPACE-- CONCESSIONS
CHAPTER 7___CHOCOLATE
CHAPTER 8___ADAMMA
Chaper 10 and the award goes to...
CHAPTER 11 best friend roles
Chapter 12 moving on
CHAPTER 13 weddings are full of drama
CHAPTER 14 publicity stunts?
CHAPTER 15 dreamland
CHAPTER 16 out
CHAPTER 17 too sweet
CHAPTER 18 sprinkle of sunshine in the rain
CHAPTER 19 nightmares are also dreams
Chapter 20 When the bough breaks
CHAPTER 21 The opposite of Hope
CHAPTER 22 The Till closes

CHAPTER 9_BABY GIRL

4.2K 441 23
By nimicrystal

It had been 2 months since I last saw Ali or heard anything from him.
I didn't want to bother myself. I had been busy with work up to my knees these past weeks. But I was happy, more than happy. You know the way you feel when you're almost dead with exhaustion, but you know that everything you're stressing for will actually save a life, will benefit someone you will never know, will bring joy to a whole family?
That was the way I felt half of the time. Which was why even the workers around me thought I was psycho. I would have this smile of contentment with my crazy sleep-deprived face and constantly messy hair. I felt good because I felt tired. Feeling tired meant work was being done, which meant somebody somewhere would not die.
I hope you get my train of thought.

It was a Friday and it had been a week since the JaMA launch, a stressful yet highly rewarding week. Hauwa had gone back to work in Lagos state Teaching Hospital. Zara was busy with wedding preparations.
By 8 pm , I walked slowly into the lobby of my apartment. Gave a lazy wave to the security guard and reception attendant and boarded the elevator to the 5th floor where my flat was.
I stepped out to see a man in uniform standing by my door.

"Delivery to Ms Abubakar?" He was wearing dark shades. What was this?

"Good evening, yes I am JAMILAH Abubakar."

"From Col. Ali Asmau Bashir. Have a nice evening."
And he handed me this basket with wine, flowers and chocolate.

I was stupefied as I watched him march to the elevators. I recovered enough to ask
"He's a colonel?"

"Yes, ma'am. Top of his class,2009. Group captain and elevated Pilot Instructor, Fleet Command 111."

"Ohh, does this mean he's back then?"

"No, ma'am. "
No further explanation

"Would you like some chocolate?"

"I'm just a glorified rookie, ma'am."
He pressed the button in the elevator as the doors started sliding.
"Have a relaxing weekend."

As I turned the key in my door, I decided I was going to do just that.
I dropped the basket on the dining table, without touching anything.
Then straight to the bath where I drew a bubble bath with soothing salts.
After soaking my aching muscles for a while, I donned my silk nightie and moved to fawn over my package.
The flowers drew me at first, white roses. Sweet. I restricted myself to just one sniff. I wasn't going to pine over a guy who didn't deem it necessary to reach out to me for a whole 9 weeks.
And so I put the roses in a clear vase with water on my centre table.

Grabbing a wine glass and ice cubes, I moved into my room and set them on my bedside table. And then I perused the red wine. A Montoya Cabernet, quite pricey. I was going to enjoy it.
The chocolate was Pierre Marcolini. That was a Californian brand and I was almost sure it wasn't sold here in Nigeria.

As I waited for the ice to do its job, I turned on my laptop, relaxed on my bed.
My attention was caught by 2 Skype requests, one was from ZahraB1432 and the other from AliBashir1.
I returned Zara's call first but she was not available and then another Skype request from Ali came in.
I held my wineglass and sipped as I received it.

Just one thought, this man was fine.

"Jamillah Marie Abubakar."

"Colonel?"
He chuckled
"He mentioned it, the officer?"
"Yeah, although with his uniform, I knew he was an officer."

"He came on uniform? Officer Iyke. I'm going to teach him a lesson."

"Don't. I happen to like him." I shrugged.

He watched me for the whole of ten seconds. I should know, I counted.
"How have you been?"
"Tired."

"I'd be surprised if you weren't. I've been following up on your health scheme."
"Congratulations on your launch. I've heard only the best from Baba. He's extremely proud of you. "
Baba was his father

"Thank you. Cheers?"

"Cheers. I was able to speak with a number of international health investors and worldwide medicare equipments suppliers. I could book a meeting for you if you want."

"Really?"

"Yeah, I also told the chairman, WHO(WORLD HEALTH ORGANISATION) about your health insurance scheme. He'd like to meet with you as well. About a partnership."

I couldn't believe that.

"What? Partnering? With WHO? Wow, that's huge."

That was big. It must have been why he called me up.

"Are you fine? You keep rubbing your neck and shoulders." He seemed concerned.

"I'm just tired. I need a massage and I'll be fine."
"I am truly grateful though, I just never expected you to do all that."

He nodded.

"And this wine, flowers, I appreciate your thoughtfulness."
I wanted to end the call ASAP, He couldn't expect me to be all giddy to talk to him after 9 weeks just because he sent flowers and wine.

"Why don't we do something, play a game. You say the first thing that comes to your mind. No hiding, no pretending. Just be painfully honest."

Hmm, I considered that. What I really wanted to know was why he hadn't contacted me for so long. Was he just playing me?

"Sure", I said. "You go first."
He seemed to look at me for a while before saying;

"You're a good person, right? I mean generally. You don't have anything major you're hiding, I hope?"

I just shook my head.

"I'm sorry I had to ask."
I couldn't say anything. It wasn't my place to tell him. It was his father's.

"Umm, I have something else to confess, yes?"
This was Ali, not me. I had nothing to confess.
"Sure, go on."

"I ordered a background check into you."
My eyes must have popped open, gauging by his frantic next words,

"I apologize. I know it was a breach of privacy. But I just wanted to know."

I didn't know what to say. Know what? He didn't even know he was so much like his father. Ordering background checks? Men with power, apparently.
I swirled the liquid in my glass and said

"But why? The background check, what for?"

"We go by turns, it's yours now." He chuckled deeply. I breathed in relief.

I decided to come clean and ask him.

"Umm, okay. What happened? Its been two months."

"What do you mean?" He kept his eyes glued to mine.
I refused to continue and shook my head. His voice turned husky.
"Come on Jamillah, tell me."

I felt very embarrassed.
"What I mean is, did you forget about me?"

Allah take me, he was smiling, actually grinning like he had won. Won what?

"This is not a conversation I want to have on Skype. I'll tell you when we meet again"

"No, I really want to know." I was almost desperate. "You have to let me know. No hiding remember? You said plain honesty."

"I really think it'll be better face to face but I mentioned honesty right?"

I nodded.

"Please forgive my directness."
I waited for him to start.

"You have a beautiful body."
I blinked.
"I am attracted to your mind as well. Both drive me crazy."

Really?

"It keeps me on my toes, I can't figure you out. Today you're a politician, tomorrow you're a doctor, then you want to change the world's health but not before you give me a heart attack in those little dresses. But then you become this shy woman who's asking if I forgot her."

He smiled again, which made me smile.

"Before long, you're a proper Hausa again with your hijab in place. I can't compartmentalize you. It excites me."

Ohh, well, I was the one being excited. I desperately wished he was here so I could see him

"So yes, I used the time to talk with my father, tell him my plans and iron it out.
If I had called you immediately after we saw, it'd have been as a one night stand. But this, you're what I want on a more permanent basis. I needed to figure myself out. Now I have."

"Oh."

" Yes, oh." Grinning again. "Its your turn now. I've gone twice already."

I looked at him while my mind roamed and then I got it
"Chocolate."

"Chocolate?"

Yes, that's how I think of you."

"How?"

"Youre dark, and when I saw you, you looked good enough to eat, just like chocolate. Sinful and tempting."

"Sinful and tempting chocolate?"
"Yeah." I blushed just then. "Now it's your turn. Say the first thing that comes to your mind."

"I want to see you?"

"Yeah?" I felt on cloud nine.

"Yes, the school I studied at SouthAfrica, we're having a reunion, something crazy. Come with me."

"I'd love to."

Later as I slept that night, I remember thinking how perfect my life was.

Please please pls vote, vote and vote

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.2K 316 17
Jalilah had it all figured out, graduated, travelled around the world, and eventually find that one true undeniable love. In a twist of fate, she wa...
76.3K 10.7K 78
Asiya Zayyad: A talented fashion designer, naive, shy, and innocent sixteen-year-old girl that went through hard circumstances to get what she wants...
5.3K 650 42
Ayan has always been serious about marriage and hopes that one day she'll get to marry the person she loves. What happens when she is forced to get m...
20.3K 1.1K 37
" I know this marriage started as an arrangement but now I've fallen for you. Please give me a chance to love you and show you that I care." I told h...