R O Y A L S

By nutellaromanov

{A Romanogers Story} "Two countries, Russgard and Midgard, continuously at war for centuries long. King Josep... More

COMING SOON
PROLOGUE
I.
II.
III.
IV.
V.
VI.
VIII.
IX.
X.
XI.
XII.
XIII.
XIV.
XV.
XVI.
XVII.
XVIII.
XIX.
XX.
XXI.
XXII.
XXIII.
XXIV.
XXV.
XXVI.
XXVII.
XXVIII.
did you miss me?
XXIX.
XXX.
XXXI.
XXXII.
XXXIII.
XXXIV.
XXXV.
author's note

VII.

2.2K 136 30
By nutellaromanov

NATASHA paced back and forth in her chambers, as the sky grew darker and the luminous chandeliers lit the room. She needs to discard of the blame put upon her, she was innocent in this scenario and somehow whatever evil plot is happening involves herself.

"You're not in good position," James stated as he entered the room, in a tone which tried not to be that uneasy.

"Thank you for reminding me James," she answered bitterly, not exactly fond that her thoughts are interrupted by such a shallow statement she already knew.

Irritated that his presence was ignored, he added, "Steve was considering to call off the alliance," and now he had Natasha's full attention, the expression of shock evident on her face.

"I didn't do it," Natasha said convincingly, knowing that the reason between Steve's consideration was because he thought it was her doing.

"I believe you," James said softly as he approached her.

"But Steve doesn't," she said to herself, "How wonderful."

"Perhaps you should go and talk to him, maybe this time he'll listen," he suggested, she shook her head no, she knew she needed to prove herself innocent before Steve would believe her.

"Where is he anyway?" she asked.

"He wouldn't leave Sharon's side," he replied and she let out a sigh, "She's awake now, but she's still a bit weak," with that Natasha's eyes shot up. Perfect.

"I need to speak to her. Could you do me a favor?" James answered with an eager nod, and soon he went off to call Steve to an urgent matter needing his immediate attention. And so Natasha was able to slip into Sharon's chamber without Steve's hateful eyes. She found the blonde on the bed, who lifted her eyes from her book to meet her gaze.

"I hope you're feeling better, Lady Sharon," Natasha greeted warmly, she didn't see Sharon as an enemy and she doesn't now, and she figure she might've been too direct to her she might as well try to be softer to the other woman.

"I'm feeling better, thank you," she replied and moved her leg slightly to give Natasha room to sit on her bed, but Natasha chose to stand. Natasha continued to ask her to explain the details before she fell ill.

"You came in," she said so surely, and Natasha creased her brows, "But you weren't the one who poisoned me I am sure, although Steve might still be doubting that."

"How can you be so sure?" Natasha wondered curiously, she should be the one leading the charges against her not supporting her.

She snorted like she couldn't believe Natasha's words, "Oh, please. Why would you? You barely see me as a competitor, with your looks alone you could've win Steve over if you wanted too without needing to remove me from the picture. When you went in here my food is all the way on the other side of the room, so yes. I am sure it wasn't you," she explained and Natasha smiled by how sweet this girl can be, it isn't a wonder why Steve fell for her.

Grateful that at least someone other than James believed in her, she decided to continue on with her investigations, "Well, thank you. But I really do need your help, can you remember who brought you your food?"

Sharon answered like it was an easy answer,"It was there when I returned to my room , I didn't know who brought it. Actually, I haven't touched them yet, I wonder why the doctors are so certain it's the food."

When Natasha was about to give up and leave, Sharon spoke up once more, "But, yesterday a new kitchenmaid brought me a basket of strawberries, said it was a gift from Steve. I ate plenty of them."

"Was it really his gift?"

"Haven't had the chance to ask," she shrugged, "It's still there on the cart if you want a look." So she did take a look, just like the lush red strawberries she just ate with James, but when she took a sniff, an odd smell for a fruit, a smell so sweet it stings her nose. Those who didn't know better would think this poison dipped strawberries are sugarcoated ones and with that Natasha bolted out the room with a quick thank you and rushed to Steve's office, where he and James were in a middle of a serious discussion on Midgardian territories and something of a possible attack, but then again that kind of talk is normal talk in a castle.

With a knock and a nod, Natasha made her presence known and Steve made no effort to acknowledge her existence in the room, she'll deal with Steve later, right now she needs to clear her name, "Did you or did you not gifted Sharon strawberries?" she asked rather urgently, earning a confused look from James and an annoyed look from Steve.

"Does it matter? I thought you didn't mind. I can have someone send you a basket if you'd like," Steve answered bitterly without even lifting his eyes from the map on the desk, for the first time James looked very awkward being in between the two.

"Did you or did you not?" Natasha asked once more in a dead serious tone even James looked slightly frightened at her.

"I didn't! Why does it matter?" Natasha's mood lifted up a bit, yes, this could lead her somewhere. With a sweet smile and a courteous nod, entirely opposite her behavior a few moments ago, she left the room.

"What are you up to?" James managed to walk up to her and whispered, even though he could tell Steve was beyond annoyed, with a smirk and a knowing glint in her eye he managed to connect the dots, "You found the culprit didn't you?"

"Sort of," she said with a smug smile as she walked into the hallway.

________

Natasha decided to trust her instincts and headed directly to the pantry. With her loud voice and clear, demanding for an answer she asked, "Which of you usually brings food to Lady Sharon?" Then she saw a skinny blonde girl reluctantly raising her hand in the corner of the room. Everybody in the room went tense.

"Lady Sharon told me you were replaced by another maid who brought her strawberries, poisoned strawberries-" and before she could finish her sentence, a girl with dark brown hair bolted towards the door and she shouted for the guards before coming in pursuit after the brunette as well. With years of combat training back at Russgard, Natasha could easily tackle the girl to the ground, despite wearing a dress, and keeping a strong hold at the culprit before the guards caught up and took over.

The girl was brought into the throne room, where Alexander alongside the King, the Queen, and Steve was amidst what seems like an intense discussion. They all stopped to hear what she has to say, "I bring you the culprit and therefore I prove myself innocent. This girl, the castle maid brought Lady Sharon a basket of strawberries, claiming that it was a gift from the prince. In fact, they were coated in poison," she declared as she put the leftover strawberries from Sharon's room on their feet and as they took a sniff with a scrunched up expression, she knew she proved her point. Even Steve gave her a regretful look.

"I didn't mean to do it! I received a letter with that command and some coins! Please! I only needed the coins!" The brunette begged as she shook her head, her tears starting to shed, "Please!" she pleaded once more.

"Take her to the dungeon," the King commanded in a steely voice, and the girl left helplessly in cries and pleas.

"Princess, my apologies for Alexander's mistaken accusations. We shall ensure that this mistake shall never be repeated. Thank you for your wit and your help in solving this evil plot, I hope to see you tomorrow at breakfast," Joseph continued as he threw a glare at Alexander and ended his words with a warm smile.

Returning his smile and giving another hopeful look at Steve, she exited the room only to find a rushing James at the corner. Moments later, Steve's guilt has pushed him to apologize and so he ran after her, but what he saw made his shoulders slump and his lips to frown.

"You found the culprit!" James exclaimed excitedly, "That's amazing!" He added, this time with a hug which he immediately pulled away from realizing who he was hugging. 

"Thank you," she said softly, and the apple of her cheeks were red as the torches of fire lit the halls.

"For what?" James asked cluelessly.

"For believing that I didn't do it," she raised on her tiptoes and give him a chaste kiss on his cheeks, before going back on her way to her chambers.

Steve watched wordlessly from the other end of the hallway, and he felt his fist clenched as his shoulders slumped. He wondered why he felt like this at the sight of James and Natasha together. That certain ache that demands to be felt, and that tug in his heart that previously wasn't there. He wondered what had changed.

_______

EYOOO! I'm just back from Europe and dealing with jet lag but UPDATEE!!

I feel like this might be boring, but please help me improve this story better by telling me your thoughts in the comments.

If you love it, vote and comment!

If you hate it, vote and comment anyway!

much love.xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

156K 5.2K 56
Natasha Romanoff is torn between her duties as an avenger, and her love life, in addition to dealing with her past. She has unexpressed feelings for...
70.6K 1.8K 24
Watching the world end is only as bad as what you stand to lose. Steve Rogers and Natasha Romanoff have lived and fought side-by-side for over five...
138K 3.3K 95
Steve and Natasha starts finding comfort in each other by unconventional methods. It works, but meaningless quickly becomes meaningful. Without eith...
328K 11K 29
𝗶𝗻 𝘄𝗵𝗶𝗰𝗵 the son and daughter of captain america and black widow accidentally travel to the past [ romanogers au ] [ next: avengers ] [ COMPL...