MIAB

By Whims-of-Insanity-3

[After the events of Awakening of the Forsaken Fallen] Tyson is missing. Brooklyn is missing. Kaori is missin... More

Prologue: Solace In Darkness
Chapter 1: Missing
Chapter 2: Numb
3: Scream
4: Awake and Alive
5: Haunted
6: Reminded
7: Hero
8: No Reason
9: Beautiful Alone
10: It's Too Late
11: Piece of Heaven
12: With You
13: Sanctuary
14: Battle Cry
15: Rise
17: Comatose
18: Last Breath
19: Sweet Sacrifice
20: Tourniquet
21: Falling Inside the Black
22: Underdog
23: Rise Above The Storm
24: I Hate Everything About You
25: In The End
26: Overlap
27: Again
28: Fallen Angel
29: Epitaph
30: World So Cold
Epilogue: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

16: Reluctant Heroes

80 5 1
By Whims-of-Insanity-3

Sasha's Meadow, Japan (August 3)

Time had stopped. It seemed as if the whole world had stopped revolving to witness this tragic and terrible moment. Even the Elders, who watched the events from their world, had stopped all proceedings and were watching this with rapt attention. The unthinkable, it seemed, had occurred.

In the human world, Third had a hand over her mouth, eyes wide and tears were already threatening to come down. Despite her wisdom, she had not foreseen this outcome and she knew no one else would've believed this would happen.

The humans that were bladers had regained enough consciousness to witness this moment and they, like everyone else, were shocked. Even the holy beasts known as the Forsaken Fallen were shocked. The whole world was silent, as if any noise would shatter this brief moment where reality did not exist.

The fragile thread of stability in the mind of a certain dark holy beast was shattered. There, floating in front of Kai, shielding the phoenix blader from the attack that would've killed him, was the holy beast known as Night.

"Night . . . ?" Kai asked, trembling despite himself. This was impossible, wasn't it?

Night turned his body slightly and smiled as if everything was alright when it wasn't, "I told you that I would protect you. All of you."

"Night, no." Chaos muttered before dissolving the coil that was embedded on Night's chest, along with the ones holding Kai on the air. As Night fell to the ground, Chaos caught him. The ancient holy beast was shaking his head, seeing all the blood on Night's body from all the wounds he had caused him, "I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry, Night. Don't worry! I'll get Third to heal you! You're going to be okay! D-Don't you dare close your eyes, okay?"

Night's eyes softened before he placed a hand on Chaos's, "Chaos, I should be the one apologizing. I am going to break our promise. Sorry."

"Shut up! You're going to be fine. You're not going to die, do you hear me?!" Chaos frantically told him before turning around to look at the devastated Third Elder, "Get over here and help him! Can't you see that he's dying! Save him!" When she shook her head weakly at him, Chaos let out a strangled cry, "You have to be able to save him! So do something!"

"Chaos, it is okay." Night smiled, placing a trembling hand on the other's cheek, "Please, do not cry." Chaos placed him slowly on the ground, feeling tears go down his eyes as he kneeled next to the dying beast. Night chuckled weakly, "I will get to see Erebus and the others soon, after all."

"Don't say that. . . I can't lose my light again." Chaos sobbed before he looked up, hearing noise. He glared at Kai, who was staring sadly at the bleeding Night as he walked closer, "Go away! Get away-!"

"Chaos, please." Night weakly said before reaching out a hand for Kai, "He is my friend too, after all." He turned his head slightly to see Max, Ray, Hilary and the others and smiled at them, "They all are. So please . . . for me . . . can everyone forget what is going on?"

"Night, why?" Kai asked before kneeling down next to Night, refusing to cry. He knew that Night understood what he meant with his question. He didn't need to elaborate.

"Because you are my friend, Kai." Night replied before looking up at the sky that was already turning dark. He smiled again, except this was a sad, forlorn smile, "You all are. I love everyone here, despite everything."

"Night . . ." Chaos buried his face in his hands, trembling. Night stared at Chaos with an expression Kai couldn't distinguish before opening his mouth:

"It was like a nightmare

And it's pain for me

Because nobody wants to die too fast

Remember the day of grief

Now it's strange for meI

could see your face

Icould hear your voice."

Chaos removed his hands to look at Night before glancing weakly at Kai. He grabbed Night's hand and held it, squeezing it tightly. Kai felt like he was ten years old again, sitting on the chair next to his bedridden, dying mother. He had felt so powerless as he had watched her slip away and had never wanted to see anyone die anymore because he had no power to stop death. It seems that the cruel fate of his wanted him to watch this gentle spirit die and have no power to stop it.

"Remember the day we met

And it's pain for me

Because nobody wants to die too fast

Remember the day we dreamt

It's pain for me

I could see your face

I could hear your voice."

Kai turned around to see Max, Ray, Daichi, Hilary and Kenny making their way to the dying bit-beast. They crouched down next to him, Max looking like he was going to hysterically break down in tears but not doing so, surprising the phoenix blader.

Third Elder sat down next to Chaos, patting the sobbing holy beast. She knew that would not offer any consolation to him. He was losing another person he held close to his locked heart. He'll never be happy again, will he? She briefly wondered.

"Can't look back

They will not come back

Don't be afraid

It's time after time

So, once again, I'm hiding in my room

The peaceful times are what make us blind

'See you can't fly if you never try'

You told me oh, long ago

But you left the wall outside the gate

And more than ever, it's real."

Max wanted to cry but he could hear Night telling him to not cry. For the first time, he hated the mental link that the two had because he could hear Night speaking to him while he sang his song of farewell. He felt his tears run down his face when Night met his gaze. Night placed his free hand on Max's cheek, wiping away his tears with that gentle gaze that always calmed Max ever since he met the bit-beast. Now, though, he felt scared. This was the last time he'd ever see Night again.

"Sing for reluctant heroes

Oh, give me your strength

Your lives are too short

Sing for reluctant heroes

I wanna be brave like you

'See you can't fly if you never try'

You told me oh, long ago

But you left the wall outside the gate

Now, more than ever, it's real."

Ray hadn't seen anyone die until now. So he was terrified and sad when he could see the life slipping out of Night's pale orbs. He could hear the bit-beast struggling for breath but he didn't stop singing. He wondered if Night was singing this song – this was his farewell – to calm them down. He wanted to calm of them, especially Chaos, Ray thought before looking down, trying to ignore Max and Chaos's sobs. He wanted to get lost in Night's lullaby.

"It was like a nightmare

And it's pain for me

Because nobody wants to die too fast

Remember the day of grief

Now it's strange for me

I could see your face

I could hear your voice."

Hilary didn't know exactly why she felt so guilty over this. She just couldn't stop thinking that she could've sealed the Forsaken Fallen away with Artemis's help before this happened. There was no need for Night to die! It wasn't fair that he was the one that was dying. Night, why was it you? She asked, leaning on Ray who was silent as the tears rolled down his eyes.

Kenny wasn't sure whether to run away crying or stand here and watch Night die. This couldn't be real, his mind rationalized. This is all a dream that the Forsaken Fallen implanted in all of our minds to hurt us. After all, Night had been happily helping Ray and Grandpa make breakfast this morning just like he had two days ago. Wake up, he thought as he began to tremble, his eyes finally releasing his pent-up tears.

"Remember the day we met

And it's pain for me

Because nobody wants to die too fast

Remember the day we dreamt

It's pain for me

I could see your face

I could hear your voice."

Out of all of his friends, Daichi was probably the only one that had seen someone die before. He had seen the life drain out of his father and he hated that Night was going to die too, life draining out of the gentle beast. Why did he have to watch this? Why couldn't he have saved the person that had willingly forfeited his eternal life for their fleeting lives? This was so unfair. Why was life cruel like this? Why did good people like Night die? He felt Hilary suddenly hug him. He was more surprised when he leaned closer to receive her comfort.

Chaos jumped when he saw that Night was glowing and he squeezed the hand he was holding tighter than before. He refused to let Night die. They had promised each other that they'd go back home together. He didn't want to think about a world where Night had been killed by himself.

"Please don't leave," He sobbed, holding Night's hand up to his lips and closing his eyes tightly. "Don't leave me, Night."

"Sing for the reluctant heroes

Oh, give me your strength

Your lives are too short

Sing for reluctant heroes

I wanna be brave like you."

Goodbye, Max, Ray, Kai, Hilary, Kenny, Daichi, Third. Goodbye, everyone. Goodbye, my sisters. Goodbye, my brothers. Goodbye, my dearly beloved Chaos.

Night looked up at the stars one last time before closing his eyes, the hand holding Chaos going limp. Max felt the link between Night vanish, leaving the echo of his final words ringing on his head.

"Night, no!" Chaos yelled as Night's body turned into a bright light before turning into several bright lights that surrounded them for a moment before slowly heading up to the dark sky.

This all felt so surreal. How could it be that all that left of Night was nothing but a heavily battered blade that contained a shattered bit-chip? Max found everything quite ironic. The first time he had met Night in his prison, the two had been in a meadow filled with flowers while stars littered the sky. Fate was cruel by causing Max to see Night die in a scenery that looked a lot like the place where they had first met.

Perhaps fate was crueler to Chaos, Max thought to himself as he grieved over the dead holy beast that had become a close friend in such a short time. After all, he had lost Sasha here centuries ago. He would always remember this place as the meadow where he lost two people he cared for.

Kai was trembling yet the tears did not fall, his eyes fixed on the lights that had been Night once upon a time. He had assured Kai barely a day ago that no one would die yet he had been the one to pass on. The cruelty of that statement made Kai stare at a star that suddenly vanished. It seemed that Night would never teach him how to read the stars after all.

Third stood up, looking up as the lights that were Night vanished and smiled sadly, "Be among the stars, little Night, and watch over us. Goodbye."

~~~MIAB~~~

Chamber of Elders, Different Dimension

First Elder walked away while the rest of the elders tried to comfort Second and Sixteenth Elder, who were crying out Night's name. No one could really blame them, as they were the creators of the spirit. It seemed ironic, all of a sudden, that the only two holy beasts that Second and Sixteenth had created – Erebus and Night – had met their tragic end at the hands of Chaos.

First looked out the window and saw the lights that used to be Night head to the chamber. She smiled sadly before reaching out for the lights, ignoring the sad cries of her fellow mourning Elders to greet the dead spirit.

"Night, you've come home." She said as she guided the orbs of light to the main chamber. Once they entered the room, they gathered around the most ancient elder, who reached out for one of them, "It's been a long time since I've felt your aura, dear Night."

Home? I am home?

She nodded before smiling serenely, her eyes no longer cold or distant, "Night, second child of the Elders, you were too kind and too precious for that world. A bright, beautiful light like you, it seems, was extinguished by the darkness you tried so hard to protect. I am sorry that your fate led to this. You deserved better, dear Night. I truly wished for your happiness."

Chaos . . . I want to see him again. I want to see everyone again, one last time, before ascending completely to the stars.

First grabbed another light before she stared at a light heading towards a familiar structure in the distance. She looked down, trying hard to not shed a tear, "I don't know if I can make you see them again. Still, I want you to protect the hearts of two people. In return, they can protect your soul."

Thank you, First Elder.

First Elder let out a small sob, seeing all but the two lights in her hand ascend upwards, heading to the stars, "Goodbye, Night. May you watch everyone from your place among the stars. Shine bright, little Night. We'll all watch you. Say hello to Erebus for me."

I will. Be happy, First. Goodbye.

~~~MIAB~~~

In the black tower that had no doors and had one window with bars to keep the person within inside, a young woman woke up, her eyes wide and fearful. She sat up before getting out of the bed, walking quickly towards the window.

"Night?" She asked, seeing several lights head towards the Chamber of the Elders, one of them making its way to her. She took a deep breath before reaching out for it. It wasn't possible, right? Night couldn't be dead.

The light finally made it to the windowsill and Seventeen cupped it between her hands, "Night, is that really you?"

Hello, Seventeenth.

The youngest of the ancient elders gasped, covering her mouth with one hand. So it was true, then. She shook her head, "Oh, Night, I am so sorry. You deserved happiness. I'm so sorry that we couldn't give you that happy ending."

Goodbye, Seventeenth. Be happy. Watch over Chaos.

"Wait!"

The light vanished and Seventeenth fell to her knees, trying to grasp for the light that had been extinguished. She sobbed, the tears going down her cheeks, "Night, no. You weren't supposed to die." Her body shook as she cried, wrapping her arms around her body to comfort herself.

"First was right. Everything was my fault." She sobbed loudly, looking up to see a painting of the wall of the outside of this cold and desolate tower that had been the home of a young Chaos. In the middle of the painting, a younger version of Night was holding a hand out for someone – Chaos, perhaps – so they could go somewhere together.

"If I had not allowed you all to go to Earth, if I had not showed Max the way to enter Night's prison, none of this would've happened. It seems that I keep making mistakes." And this mistake was too big to be ignored. She'd be sentenced for death for sure, now, she thought sullenly.

"I'm sorry, Chaos, Night, everyone," She whispered, "The suffering I caused you is a crime that I will pay for with my life. I guess I'll see you on the other side, Night. Will you wait for me there?"

~~~MIAB~~~

Forsaken Fallen Headquarters, Unknown area

Tyson was in the middle of watching Rin drown when the painful memory vanished, leaving him floating on nothing. He saw Rin floating in the distance and, just as he was about to call out to him, a light appeared.

"Huh?" He said in surprise before the light formed the shape of someone that looked vaguely familiar to him. When the light finally morphed into a young man with long black hair and white eyes wearing robes similar to Chaos's, Tyson recognized him from the dreams he had of Chaos's past.

"Night?"

The male smiled gently before reaching out for Tyson. Tyson frowned in confusion before grabbing Night's hand. Night mouthed something Tyson couldn't hear before he turned into many lights, surrounding Tyson before they entered his body.

The warm sensation that Tyson felt made him smile despite all the pain he had felt before. He placed his hands over his heart and laughed, "Hello, Night. It's nice to meet you." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.9K 194 15
My Greatest Regret, I feel it everyday In my Heart now, If only I knew it back then, I wouldn't have done it. I hurt everyone, Because of my desire t...
20.8K 595 37
In the middle of a stormy night, an abandoned 2-year old girl is left at the doorstep of the Tachibana residence with a note. 14 years from then, Hil...
6.5K 307 14
Just before Tala moves in with Kai, he sends a warning to flee. The leftovers of Cain's plan is about to plunge Japan into nuclear warfare. That's ea...
3.2K 310 22
The Bladebreakers must cross Russian tundra, warring countries, and stormy seas to reach a nuclear war-ravaged Japan, where hopefully salvation will...