What You're Not | ✔

By keahlovee

[Now free to read!!] When she moves to a new town, all Loren wants is a fresh start. But things get complicat... More

✨ ANNOUNCEMENT ✨
01. The Walls
03. Pure Ego
04. Fashion Club
05. Study Buddy
06. Miss Attitude
07. This Is Weird
08. Sweaty Palms
9. Starless Night
10. Drugstore Proposal
11. The Guidelines
12. Just Friends
13. Thirteen Again
14. Regret Hangover
15. Destiny's Plan
16. PB&J
17. Locked In
18. Jealous
19. Flash Flood
20. Coming Clean
21. Caffeinated Apologies
22. Fear Of Feelings
23. Choices
24. In Between
25. Insecure
26. The Maze
27. Rivals
28. Buried At The Bottom
29. Different
30. The B Word
31. A Second Chance
32. Third Times A Charm
33. Soft Spots
34. Paper Cuts
35. The Fall Festival
36. The Truth
37. Playing House
38. Family Dinner
39. Murky Water
40. Sleep Over (1)
41. Sleep Over (2)
42. Rule Breaker
43. Worth It
44. Masquerade (1)
45. Masquerade (2)
46. Numb
47. Hope
48. Fight For It
49. Protective, Possessive
50. Collide
Epilogue
*BONUS* 29. Different (miles's pov)

02. Party Crashers

72.9K 2.4K 1.6K
By keahlovee

As I stood in front of the two story, modern style home belonging to The Twins I tried to muster up the courage to ring the doorbell.

Mom drove me and offered to stay until I went inside or changed my mind, but I declined. She was right before. We weren't in Adsgrove. These aren't my so-called friends. This was an entirely new experience for me. One that could potentially be the best thing to ever happen. Or the worst.

Besides, I couldn't back out now. I had already texted them that I'd be coming. It felt like signing a contract with a demon. Not that I thought Kimber and Jem were demons, I'd just been watching far too much Supernatural.

I should have rung the doorbell by now, but I hadn't. My hand wouldn't detach itself from my oversized tote bag that held everything I needed for the night. Looking down at my hedgehog-printed pajamas, I wonder if I should've shown up in normal clothes and then changed? Was I supposed to bring a sleeping bag? Or a gift for the hostess?

Why did my brain insist on stressing over every little thing?

"Did you forget how to use a doorbell?"

I looked over to see a curvy girl with dark hair and eyes standing beside me. Mostly, I noticed the fact that she was in pajamas and carrying nothing but an overnight bag. I relaxed a little.

"No, just having an existential crisis," I chuckled.

"Anxiety?" she asked, reaching over and ringing the doorbell. "I have pills for that."

She starts reaching into her bag and I shook my head, causing her to stop. "That's alright," I said. "I'm fine."

I never liked taking medicine for many reasons. Mainly, because it was gross. Also, because I didn't understand how a tiny pill was supposed to stop my brain from over-thinking. Was it a form of mind control?

The door opened up, revealing Kimber and Jem. They wore matching sleep shirts and knee high socks with bunny slippers.

"Vivian, Loren," Jem squealed, grabbing me and the other girl, Vivian, by the hands and dragging us inside.

"Guys, our two final guest are here," Kimber shouted as she ran ahead of us.

The living room looked like a cotton candy wonderland. With piles of pastel-colored pillows, blankets and stuffed animals. There was a table full of different kinds of sweets and drinks. Everything was set up in front of a huge flat screen which was currently playing music. They really went all out.

There were three other girls in the living room who Jem introduced to me as Chelsea, Riley and Ava.

Even though my eyes were focused on my white Converse I could feel their eyes on me. Wondering about the new girl. Who was she? Where did she come from?

"Here, let me take that," Jem said, taking my bag from me. My finger were stiff from holding onto it so tight. "I'll put it up in our room with the others."

She also offered to take Vivian's bag, but she declined.

"Oh," Kimber squealed again. "The song is on."

She began pushing pillows out of the way to make room on the floor. The other girls, minus Vivian who was occupied with her phone, joined Kimber.

"Come on, V," Jem said, waving her over.

"I wish I could, but I really don't want to," she said, not looking up from her phone.

"Come on, Loren," Riley said, pulling me up from the couch. "We'll teach you the steps."

"No, I'm fine with just watching," I protested, but they weren't letting that slide.

For months after Mom announced the move I planned out how I intended to live my life and now I had the chance to put that plan into action. They weren't worried about where I came from or what my story was. All they wanted was for me to join in on the fun. So, I did.

I muddled my way through the choreography, and I felt myself starting to loosen up a bit. An hour into this party and I laughed more than I had in four years. Mostly at Ava's horrible impersonations of celebrities.

After dancing out our energy and sugar high, we all got ready for the movie. I sat on the couch with Vivian and Chelsea while Riley, Ava and The Twin's got comfortable on the floor.

Half an hour into the movie, our attention was ripped away from the dancing on screen by the doorbell. Someone was obnoxiously ringing it back-to-back.

"They're here," Vivian grinned, hopping up from the couch.

The Twins exchanged worried looks. "Who?" they asked, following Vivian to the door.

"Prepare yourself," Chelsea said to me. "You're about meet some of the idiots that make up Westbrook High's football team."

"No boys allowed," Kim and Jem shouted in unison.

The excited talk of male voice became closer, as did The Twin's yelling at them to leave.

"You guys have to go," Jem ordered.

They were in the living room now. The girls, along with three guys. Who were not wearing pajamas, I might add.

"This party is for girls only," Kim shouted as she smacked a red vine out of the hand of the boy wearing glasses and a Batman T-shirt.

"Where's the fun in that?" asked one of the other boys as he plopped down on the couch in between Chelsea and me, his muscled arm wrapping her shoulders. Chelsea scooted away, but the guy followed, uttering an apology for who knows what.

Vivian seemed to be the only one enjoying the uninvited guest. She grabbed her bag, rummaging through it before pulling out a bottle of vodka. "Now, let's make this a real party!" she exclaimed.

"Where are the cups?" asked a dark-haired boy. I noticed a rose tattoo on his inner right wrist as he took the bottle from her. He headed towards the kitchen and Kim followed him, still trying to talk him into leaving.

"Why did you invite them?" Jem snapped.

"Because I was bored," she shrugged.

Rose Tattoo came back with a stack of plastic cups. "Hey, let's go out by the pool."

Without hesitation, Vivian and the boys went towards the back of the house. The other girls looked at each other before shrugging and following them out as well. The living room was empty, aside from The Twins and me.

"Moms are going to kill us," they said before following everyone else to the back.

Left alone on the ruined sleepover, I weighed my options. I could leave—It was doubtful that anyone would notice—or I could stick to my plan and have fun. Another option would be to stay here in the living room and finish the movie. That was like an in-between option. Not exactly abandoning the plan, but not entirely committing to it either.

"You're not thinking of leaving, are you?" I looked up to find Jem. She walked over, grabbing a few cans of soda from the coffee table. I guessed they were giving up the battle with the boys. "I know the boys being here isn't what you signed up for, but stay. Please?"

Glancing back towards the front door, I lifted myself up from the couch. "Okay."

"Great," she said with a smile. "Could you grab a few more sodas?"

Nodding, I grabbed as many as I could carry and followed her out to the back. It was cold outside and I wished I had opted for one of my warmer pajama sets. The pool area was dimly lit with a blue light. There was a sitting area of wicker patio furniture where everyone was gathered. Jem and I set the sodas down on the table. They didn't stay there very long as everyone snatched them mixing them with the vodka.

Chelsea offered me a cup, but I said no. 

I stood back, watching the from a distance. It felt like I was intruding on a personal moment among longtime friends. Naturally, I wanted to run. I was about to, until one of the boy's eyes locked on me. It was the one with the rose tattoo on his wrist.

"You're new," said the guy, causing everyone to stop talking and look over at me.

I looked down to make sure I was wearing pants. Just for peace of mind.

"Her name's Loren," Kimber said. "She just moved here."

The boy stood up, walking over to me with his hand extended. "I'm Miles," he said easily as I shook his hand. "That's Cameron," he pointed to the guy in glasses. Pointing to the other he said, "And that's Owen."

"Nice to meet you all," I said, giving them a small wave.

"Well, Loren, on behalf of Westbrook, I would like to welcome you to our humble little town."

"Oh, thanks." A part of me still wanted to run into the house and hide, but his eyes—green and mesmerizing—made me stay.

He glanced back at the group and he we looked at me again he had a mischievous grin on his lips. In one quick movement he lifted me from the ground bridal style.

"What are you doing?" I questioned.

"Miles, stop!" The Twins shouted.

Then I noticed he was going towards the pool. "Wait, do—"

My pleads were cut short as my body came in contact with the ice cold pool water. As I sank to bottom of the pool I regretted not take those swimming lessons Mom and Dad tried to force me into. I don't know how long I was down there before I felt an arm wrap around, pulling me up to the surface.

Once we were out of the water I noticed that it was Miles who had pulled me out. Everyone was surrounding us now as I coughed up water. Kimber draped a towel around my shoulders before helping me up.

"Maybe you should have said you couldn't swim," Miles said, shaking the water from his dark hair.

I glared at him. He made it sound like it was my fault he had to rescue me. "Maybe you shouldn't be an asshole who throws people into pools," I spat.

My insult was met by a smirk. Apparently he found my near death experience amusing. "Oh, do you kiss your mother with that mouth?"

"Alright, you guys need to go," Jem declared.

"For real this time," Kimber added.

"Whatever, I was getting bored anyways," he said. Looking at me he added, "I'll catch you later, Mermaid."

The three guys made their way back into the house, followed by Vivian.

"If my mom asks, I was here all night," she said before disappearing into the house with the boys.

After changing into something dry—a sleep shirt identical to The Twins', making me an honorary triplet—I wanted to go home.

My hands were shaking uncontrollably as I tried to text Mom. Maybe it was from the coldness of the pool still lingering around or maybe it was because I was, yet again, ambushed at a sleepover.

You should have said something.

That's what he said after pulling me out of the water. It's the same thing Tasha said to me as she shoved a picture of her older brother in my face.

I should have said something. His death was my fault because I didn't speak up.

That's what she told me. It's what they all told me. It's what I believed them.

I was about to hit send and have Mom come rescue me when I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. My eyes were puffy, face red and blotchy from crying. I couldn't let her see me like that. A wreck after another innocent sleepover.

Putting my phone away, I splashed warm water on my face. Trying to calm myself down before exiting the bathroom. I had to remind myself that this was nothing like last. These girls didn't hate me. That was evident by the amount of times Kimber and Jem apologized on Miles behalf.

Finally ready to face them, I opened the door. The Twins stood there, concerned looks on their faces.

"Are you okay?" Jem asked.

"We made you hot cocoa," Kimber said, holding up a mug that over flowed with mini marshmallows.

That definitely wasn't like last time.

//

Hey, thanks for sticking around for another chapter!

Thanks for reading! Don't forget to comment & vote <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.4K 121 16
𝐇𝐚𝐲𝐥𝐢𝐞 𝐀𝐧𝐢𝐥𝐞𝐡 𝐏𝐢𝐞𝐫𝐜𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐚𝐥𝐰𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐡𝐚𝐝 𝐢𝐭 𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐲. 𝐖𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 it was at home where her parents cared and showered her...
4.4K 343 50
"Please, come back to me." "I never left." *** Clara Carter, the troublemaker of A...
10.7K 3.2K 49
Oli's POV : Why am i constantly thinking about him. I closed my eyes fighting the urge to think about his eyes when an image of him smiling ran throu...
237 16 14
Riley West - The new girl in town. Shy at first, but loud when you get to know her. Kinda outspoken. Family problems. Jaxon Brooks - Been there since...