The Darkness Within Us

By Joonies_noona

*This is the first 5 chapters of a published work. You can find the full book in Kindle Unlimited on Amazon f... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5

Chapter 4

5 0 0
By Joonies_noona

I woke the next morning to the sound of rain and hail hitting the windows. I stared at the graphite sky and longed to just stay in the comfort of my bed for the rest of the day, but I knew better. I had to get up and start all the preparations for the Shareholder's Ball. It was the biggest event that my father's company held during the year and I was expected to look the part of the Vespian Princess. I hated seeing that title in the news, but once a clever journalist had pinned it in an article, it spread like wildfire. My father, on the other hand, loved it because as he said, "It makes me King." So I had to spend my entire day being fussed over by makeup and hair stylists, and then practically being sewn into the dress that my father's PR people had chosen for me based on current trends and fashion. I almost always hated what they chose.

I sat in the chair provided for me by a vanity in a small conference room while my stylists, Akimi and Seth, worked on my hair and makeup. I focused on the reflection of the gray windows behind me while the stylists decided how to work my look to maximize my face and downplay my extra curvy figure. Which could be an issue depending on the style of dress chosen for me. They agreed on minimal makeup and a simple updo in order to keep the focus on my dress for the evening, and when I saw it I understood why.

Marcella, the head of PR for Bishom Exomining, came in carrying a nearly see-through embroidered dress covered in glowing Triton gemstones and as soon as my eyes hit it, I stood up and headed for the door. Akimi nearly fell over and Seth didn't even have time to let go of the hair he was diligently trying to pin. I jerked my hair out of his grasp and noped my way right out of there. I had worn some pretty hideous dresses before, but there was no way I was going to go with some radioactive frakenstones covering me.

I stormed into my father's office down the hall and ran face-first into Jackson's chest. A heartbeat passed before I realized that he was actually there. When the fog cleared, I considered throwing my arms around him, but after my conversation with my father before the trip down, I was terrified that any strong reaction would work against me. Jackson winked and I knew he knew. I turned my attention to my father.

"Hey there, sunshine!" My father's voice was annoyingly sweet. He'd been warned I was coming.

"Please don't make me wear that...dress."

"You know how these things go. Triton is currently one of my company's biggest clients. Besides, my people tell me tritium stones are regaining popularity. They assure me that you will be all the talk among the fashion elite."

"I don't care about being fashionable and that dress is hideous! The stones are questionable, but the embroidery looks like a toddler's failed attempt at abstract painting."

"I saw nothing wrong with it when Elaina modeled it for me."

My nose wrinkled before I could stop it. If Elaina had her way, she'd be my new stepmom before the end of the week. I bet she enjoyed "modeling" for him. I nearly gagged.

"Please? It's absolutely terrible." I begged.

My father held up his hand. "I won't hear any more of this. You haven't said anything about Jackson being here. I thought you'd be much more appreciative."

"Of course I am, Daddy. Thank you." I was more than a little worried about why he was there. "I was just distracted by the...wardrobe issue."

"I can see that." He rifled through some papers and didn't take his eyes off them as he continued. "Jackson's recovery was absolutely remarkable and he requested to be able to guard you at tonight's event. Given the circumstances, I decided it was worth the risks to make my daughter happy."

"What circumstances?" I asked, looking between my father and Jackson. He tried to hide it, but I could see the smallest hint of sadness written in the lines of Jackson's face.

"Considering he'll be reassigned after next week." He threw up his hand to stop me from saying anything. "I have made up my mind and if you choose to argue about this, I will be forced to send him back to the station and arrange for his transfer sooner. As it is, I thought you would appreciate my thoughtfulness."

Your thoughtfulness? I screamed in my head. How was this anywhere even close to thoughtful? I wanted to yell at him and throw things around his office, but my father never made idle threats and I knew that if I caused a scene, Jackson would be gone before the cleaning staff could even pick up the pieces. Instead, I just stared at Jackson. I was seething and he could see it. I felt my nostrils flare as I tried to hold my breathing even. The shake of his head was almost imperceptible. He knew I was about to do something stupid. Fortunately, my father's attention had already returned to his work, so I didn't wait to be dismissed and stormed through the door with Jackson following behind me.

"Where is he going to send you?" I asked once I was seated back in the styling chair. My angry tears had dried, but Akimi was working to reapply the makeup they'd washed away. Seth attended to my murdered nails.

"He hasn't said. Just that I have a week left on the station before my reassignment."

"I don't understand why, though." I looked up at Jackson and saw my own pain and anger mirrored in his eyes. Sometimes, I felt like we were one soul split between two bodies. He could anticipate my feelings and moods and always knew just what to say and when to say it. How would I ever survive Dr. Nakamura's hateful words and arrogance without Jackson as a buffer? Who would be there for Jackson when the nightmares became overwhelming? We needed each other.

"It's because someone released that machine on the station on purpose."

"Wait, what?"

"Your father thinks it was either a kidnapping attempt or an attack on your life."

"But why does that mean you have to go?"

"We're too close, Anaïs. I should have seen something suspicious going on, but I was too busy trying to tell you about the Calexa. I was distracted."

"But you saved me and Charlie."

"It doesn't matter. It was too close. Remember those maintenance men that were staring at you just before the accident? They weren't on the payroll."

"Why would they do this, though?"

"That's all we know right now."

"Jackson, I need you. You're my best friend." Tears threatened to fall again, but I steeled myself against my emotions.

"I know, but there's nothing we can do." We were quiet for a while as my stylists worked. Jackson walked over to the wall of windows as lightning flashed outside. "You know," he said softly, "Dr. Nakamura is going back to Ersaad to collect more samples. Maybe you could go along with him as his research assistant." He turned to face me.

"How do you know about that?"

"Kahil told me."

"Why would I want to go down to that wasteland?"

"I don't know, Anaïs. You're the scientist. Maybe it would take your mind off things. Plus, he's going in a couple of days so I would still be your assigned guard." He looked down at his fingers absently. "Maybe we could even sneak off in the transport for a little to explore the planet. It could be more interesting than you think." Without moving his head, his silver eyes quickly met mine. I dropped my chin a little then nervously looked around. My stylists were across the room, busying themselves with their supplies while waiting for Marcella to come back and help dress me. Was he really suggesting what I thought he was?

"There wouldn't be much time to explore. Dr. Nakamura is very strict about his collection schedule."

Jackson shrugged. "More than enough time for what we want to do."

To anyone else, it would sound like we were planning a final rendezvous together before his reassignment. Akimi's electric blue eyebrow reached for her fuchsia hair. She nodded slightly and mouthed 'do it'. She clearly bought the rumors about us.

Could we really run away together? There would be a small window when Dr. Nakamura would be loading the samples into the carrier and logging them into the system, but it wouldn't be long at all. How far could we get before the full weight of my father's resources came down on us? Despite my concerns, I couldn't lose Jackson. Taking him away from me was the final straw. I had to find a way to stand up for myself and it looked like running away was my only option.

"I guess that sounds like a good idea. I'll talk to Dr. Nakamura first thing in the morning and see if he'll let us come along." I could've sworn I heard a little squeal from Akimi. Jackson raised his head and smiled. The plan was made and even if trying did get me killed, the chance to stay with Jackson and show my father he didn't own me was worth it.

The ballroom was decorated that night with exotic palms and tropical plants, transforming it into a Lares resort. We had vacationed on the planet as a family a few times when my mom was still alive, and for a moment I was caught up in memories of happier times. I floated around the dancefloor with a couple of men whose names I didn't bother remembering. It wasn't until I caught Jackson's smug, innuendo-filled look as he stood at the edge of the room with the other guards that I was brought back to the reality of the situation.

For him, the plan was set in stone. For me, the various ways in which this could end in our bloody deaths if we screwed up played over and over in my mind. I might have been a decent pilot, but I was no match for those on the Bishom payroll and Jackson couldn't fly his way out of an empty aircraft carrier with an autopilot. It was also widely known that the military was more of the "shoot first, ask questions later" type, especially considering the recent escalation of alien attacks.

As I was imagining the particularly gruesome explosive decompression of a fired-upon transport vessel without the proper departure credentials, my dad shoved a young man about my age in my face. He was reasonably good-looking but my mind could not be torn away from picturing myself frozen and bloated in empty space. I forced out a smile and tried to hide my disgust as the man took my hand in his and put it to his lips in that arcane gesture of bowing to my frailty.

"Anaïs, I would like you to meet Brecker Ahmshad, our new CFO."

The guy didn't look old enough to be the Chief Financial Officer of such a large and powerful company, but of course I didn't say that. Instead, I inclined my head and offered a slightly bigger smile. Slightly.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Bishom. Your father has had very kind things to say about you."

Of that I was sure. My father had been trying to find a decent suitor for me for a few months now. I figured he was probably scared that if left to my own devices, I'd find someone poor or in some way undesirable. Someone like Jackson.

"Thank you, that's very kind. Unfortunately, my father left out a few things about you."

Mr. Ahmshad straightened and tugged at his suit. I got the feeling his age was a sore subject. He probably beat out a lot of seasoned executives for the job, which made me very suspicious of my father's motives. Surely this guy wasn't so good at his job that he was a better pick than men with at least twenty years' experience.

"Yes, well, I have worked for another company for several years and was able to keep it from going bankrupt despite the pressures of the competition your father's company placed on it. Apparently, those efforts didn't go unnoticed by your father."

I glanced at my father. He lifted his chin and flexed an eyebrow. There it was. The reason. I'm sure if I were to look up the company now, I would find notices of its financial demise since the departure of its star CFO. One less competitor for Bishom Exomining. My father's cunning and shrewdness were unparalleled. I hoped I had inherited some of those ruthless traits because I was going to need them soon enough.

"How wonderful. I'm very glad you have joined us, then. I'm sure you will make a very valuable, and interesting, addition to our team." I dropped my chin and batted my eyelashes just a hint on the word 'interesting', hoping my attempt at flirting wasn't too overt. Ahmshad beamed. My father didn't.

With his cheeks still flushed, Ahmshad extended his hand to me. "Thank you, Miss." I placed my hand in his delicately. Demurely. He took the bait. "Would you honor me with a dance?"

As we made our way into the crowd of some of the wealthiest people on the planet, I caught Jackson's stare. The only shift in his features was in his eyes. They were intently focused on Ahmshad, but his intensity quickly dissolved when I gave him a wink and a sly smile. I just wanted to throw my father off the trail.

To his credit, Ahmshad was a pretty good dancer. He spun me around for a few of the faster songs and was even brave enough to loop a hand around my waist when the tempo slowed.

"So how are you enjoying the University station?" He asked, though his attention was on the people around us. When an older board member that I vaguely recognized looked our way, Ahmshad put on a megawatt smile and nodded his head.

"It's much different than being on the surface, but the view is considerably nicer."

"Mmm hmm, I'm sure." He threw up another wave. I had the feeling he was going to use tonight to boost his status around the boardroom on Monday. "What do you do?"

He couldn't care less. "We dissect pigs and offer their blood up to the nebula goddess."

"Fascinating." He didn't even see me roll my eyes. "Oh! There's Mr. Fortunata. I can't believe he's here!" Ahmshad's eyes met mine for the first time since we'd started dancing. "I'm sorry, but if you'll excuse me, I must go introduce myself." Before I could even say a word, he was gone. I let out a tight laugh and looked to see who he was heading toward. All I could see was a tall man with short hair and an impeccable suit. I moved through the crowd and craned my neck. When the man turned, I realized it was the man from the day before in my father's elevator and I gasped. Of course! Dominic Fortunata was one of the Presidential candidates. The Union election was in a month, but I had been so absorbed in my own life I hadn't thought much about it. I was glad no one else but me knew that, too.

When Mr. Fortunata saw me, his smile broadened. "Ms. Bishom, how lovely to see you again." He called across the crowd, his voice deep and luxurious with the hint of a Rabaan accent from the southern region.

"Hello. I'm surprised you recognized me after such a short interaction." I returned his smile and extended my hand. He shook it firmly. His dark eyes had a captivating intensity that I was sure won him many arguments.

"It would be hard to forget such a beautiful woman. Despite such unfortunate clothing." He looked down the length of me.

I laughed deeply. "My, aren't you direct?"

"I didn't get where I am today by beating around the bush. You should fire your designer."

The CEO of Triton was standing just a few people behind Mr. Fortunata. Though he wasn't looking in our direction, the redness of his face suggested he wasn't out of earshot. "Perhaps the style is a little...unusual...but Triton stones are quite fashionable and our analysts expect them to be the hottest jewelry item this time next year." I flicked my eyes to the right a couple times, hoping Mr. Fortunata would catch on. He glanced behind him quickly, then looked back at me, his eyes wide and teeth bared in embarrassment. I stifled laughter. Ahmshad glared at me from where he stood with some other board members.

"Well, that's why I'm in politics and not fashion." The Triton CEO looked pleased and turned to talk to someone else. Mr. Fortunata was approached by a man I didn't recognize so I excused myself. Ahmshad rushed me at the food table.

"How do you know him?"

I stepped back and narrowed my eyes. I didn't appreciate his tone. "I don't. I just happened to meet him yesterday at my father's office."

"How does your father know him?"

"I don't know and even if I did, I'm not sure if that's any of your business."

"I'm the CFO of your father's company, of course it's my business!" Ahmshad was raising his voice. People around us were taking notice and casting curious glances in our direction.

I laughed. "Mr. Brecker. If it were your business, you would know by now."

Jackson appeared at my side as if he'd materialized out of thin air. "Is there a problem here?"

I looked at Ahmshad carefully, then turned to Jackson. "No. Not at all. I think Mr. Brecker here was just about to leave."

Jackson nodded and took Ahmshad by the arm. He jerked it away from Jackson's grasp, though Jackson's hand on his shoulder made it clear leaving was exactly what he was doing.

I don't think I sat down for more than five minutes the rest of the night. My father joined me for much of the evening but flitted around to all the shareholders as much as he could. He seemed to be both excited and a little concerned with my newfound interest in the Presidential candidate. Mr. Fortunata and I spoke a few more times that evening. He was incredibly charming and pleasant to talk to and I found myself hoping he won the election. I was sure he would be the man to lead our Union into a new period of growth and discovery.

 After the party, Jackson walked me back to my apartment. He made his bed on the couch like he always did when we were on the surface, mostly because we were too terrified that my father had video drones lurking around. Even after all the times we'd shared a bed, there had never been anything romantic between us. Not that I hadn't considered it. He was just too important to me as a friend to risk damaging our relationship through a careless romance.

Before removing my makeup, I sat down to send a message to Dr. Nakamura. I had to erase it several times before ending up with something that sounded decently reasonable. Between the fact that I didn't know him very well and he hated me, I had no good idea how to convince him to take me with him to Ersaad, but I tried what I could. I sent the message and dropped my handheld on the desk. Before I'd even got my pajamas on, I heard the notification beep. It was almost like Dr. Nakamura was waiting for me to ask. As I stood there looking at his acceptance message, I realized that it easier to get permission from Dr. Nakamura than it would be to get it from my father.

I showed up at breakfast the next morning with several arguments for why it would be good for my education and how it would look good to the company shareholders.

"Good morning, dear."

"Good morning, Daddy. How did you sleep?"

"Better than I expected. What would you like to eat this morning?"

"I think I'm in the mood for a seafood omelet with hollandaise sauce." He smiled at my happy tone and motioned for the servant to fetch my food.

"You seem happier than usual this morning. Did Mr. Ahmshad make a good impression on you?"

"He was horrible, but after he left I was able to spend some time with Dominic Fortunata. I like him a lot. I think he'll make a good president."

My father's expression was guarded. "That's good to hear. I like him pretty well myself."

Look at us, I thought ruefully. Aren't we just the picture of a beautiful family? The servant set my plate in front of me and I took a bite. I realized that I was going to miss this kind of food when I was on the run, so I asked for some pancakes and fruit before he could get away. My father raised an eyebrow at me, but didn't say anything.

"I got an interesting message from your advisor this morning. He said that he's going on a sample collecting mission to Ersaad and wants you to come along." I almost choked, but I played it off with a huge gulp of milk. Well, I mostly played it off.

"Oh yeah, I was going to ask you about that this morning. He's leaving soon and I'd really like to go."

"It sounds like a good opportunity. I think you'll enjoy it."

"So you're going to let me go?"

"Of course. Anything for your education."

"Is Jackson allowed to come with me?"

I held my breath as my father let his out in a little puff. "I don't see why not. He's still your official guard and maybe this will be a good time for you two to say goodbye and prepare for the inevitable." Wow, that was a good way to take the wind out of my sails. Eye on the prize, I reminded myself. This is a good thing. I jumped up and ran around to give my father a hug. Be the doting daughter. Be a good girl. Don't let him see the lie.

To my surprise, my father wrapped his arms around me and held on tight. It was the same hug he gave me when he told me my mother was gone and wouldn't be coming back. He had held onto me like I was the only thing keeping him from willing his heart to shut down and die with her. The memory of that day clung to me like a parasite, sucking all the dark energy I had been hiding out of my soul. He was just a man. He had lost his wife on that day. Was it really so wrong of him to try and hold onto the only part of her he had left? I had to drag myself away from him before my feelings got in the way of my plans.

I ate my food feeling like a wretched person. I was planning to leave my daddy. He was the only parent I had and I was the only child of his. Suddenly, my plans seemed heartless and cruel. I reminded myself of all he was trying to take away from me, but for a moment running away seemed like the action of a petulant, spoiled child. He looked at me from across the table and knitted his eyebrows.

"Don't worry, honey. Everything is going to be okay in the end. I know right now it seems like the worst thing in the world to say goodbye to your friend, but you'll eventually see that everything I do is for your own good."

That was what I needed to hear. He had no idea what "my own good" was. I pictured him standing in the boardroom with Brecker, talking about me like I was a pawn on his chessboard to play as he saw fit. Just like that my resolve returned and I sat up straighter. "Of course, Daddy," I said with a sad smile. Of course. Father knows best.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.4K 1.9K 52
***BOOK TWO*** Embrace your inner enemy. Damon Kynaston is no longer a slave - he's the son of the last Emperor of Caelia. His world is destroyed, an...
80.7K 1K 58
{EDITING PROCESS} *BOOK ONE OF TWO* When a high school student named Davina Smith faces her senior year after a tragedy in her family, suddenly finds...
277K 13.1K 62
Abandoned and left to die, a human girl must fight to survive on an alien planet filled with monsters that want to kill her. That is until she meets...
10 0 9
Kindle : Interitus -To resist is human: Volume 1 : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0D4R7V3YB?tag=r0b5d-20 The Sol Federation faces annihilation from a rav...