The Darkness Within Us

By Joonies_noona

*This is the first 5 chapters of a published work. You can find the full book in Kindle Unlimited on Amazon f... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5

Chapter 3

11 0 0
By Joonies_noona

As the pilot waited for landing clearance on the pad attached to my father's building, I gathered my things and watched the city below. The station was just outside the lunar orbit of Vespa, so it didn't take long to make it to the planet. It was still daytime in Kinto, though the perpetual fog made it feel closer to dusk. Transports glided back and forth through the narrow passageways between buildings, their smooth bodies narrowly missing the pedestrian crosswalks that wove mazes in the spaces between.

Bright lights and advertisements reflected between the ships and the panes of glass, competing with one another for the attention of an increasingly desensitized population. The wealthy cloistered in the city, and the others scattered across the tiny planet, were hard to market to, so companies had resorted to a guerrilla-style approach despite its debatable effectiveness. Still, they painted a pretty picture in an otherwise desperately boring landscape of oily gray dust and pollution. The beauty was only skin-deep though, and served as a mere distraction from the ugliness found behind the glass walls. The obsidian tower we were now waiting to dock with was different only in its color. I leaned my head against the plush headrest and closed my eyes.

Jackson had been resting when I went to say goodbye, but he was understandably nervous about going back to sleep. It was a testament to his mental fortitude that he was able to fight the effects of the treatments the doctors were forcing on him. Even with my influence, I wasn't able to persuade his doctors to find another treatment protocol. Had my father tried, no amount of medical knowledge or experience would have afforded them the nerve to deny his demands, but he would never extend himself for someone of Jackson's provenance.

I kissed him on the forehead while the straps of my bags dug furrows into my shoulder. "Be good."

"I can't make any promises." His expression was stoic, but he couldn't hide his pain from me.

"Well, at least try."

"Always." The hint of a smile tugged at the corner of his lip. "You too."

"Of course. I'll call you from the surface."

"Better not. If your dad is as mad as he sounds, you know he'll be listening in. Don't want to tempt the Beast."

"Good point. He'd eat us alive," I said. He chuckled and winced. I bit my lip, hating to see him in pain.

"You need to get going. If you miss that transport, there'll be no chance of you coming back and who would be here to nag me about taking my medicine then?"

I sighed and kissed him again. "Yes, sir. Anything you say." He smiled and I turned to leave the room before he could see me cry. Again.

"Miss Bishom? We'll be docking in a few minutes. Do you have all of your belongings?" The pilot's voice called through the small aircraft, pulling me from my thoughts.

"Yes, sir. Thank you. I'm ready to disembark."

"Very good. Be sure to secure your straps. There's a heavy crosswind at docking level, so it might get a little rough."

"Thank you for the warning." He gave a curt nod and I pulled tight on the straps just before a gust had the vessel rolling to the side. A few drinks that hadn't been secured fell to the floor and rolled under the seats to my right. The pilot corrected with an ease perfected through experience and within a few minutes I could hear the soft click of the docking clamps on the landing pad and the whistle of the wind as the vessel depressurized. Getting from the aircraft to the building wasn't going to be fun and I really wished there had been a pad available closer to the ground floor, even if that meant a longer lift ride. Dark clouds gathered on the horizon, which explained the current conditions. Hopefully, I can make it to the door before the rain starts, I thought to myself. Falling 300 levels to my death would be bad enough, but getting wet on the way down would just totally ruin my day.

I made it into the building just in time and turned to watch as the transport lifted off, it's tail end catching a gust that forced it back down, knocking bits of paint off the pad and no doubt damaging the tail of the craft. The flight controllers would likely be grounding all flights for the rest of the day as the front moved through. Had I taken just a little longer with Jackson, I would've been able to spend another night with him instead of this cesspool. Steeling myself, I turned back to reality and found the nearest elevator that would take me even further into the putrid sky to my father's penthouse.

Though the entire building was built from glass, the special coating my father had used for the outside turned the dusty atmosphere an even more ominous shade of red. The lift doors slid open and I stepped cautiously into the tiled foyer. My heels announced my arrival before I could and I heard my father beckon me from the back of his apartment where he kept an office. Dropping my bags at the door and smoothing my suit, I picked my head up and walked inside.

Carden Bishom was not a tall man, but he made up for his stature in build and presence. His black hair was puffed up in the front in a mock pompadour with the close-cut sides fading into perpetually manicured facial hair. The mustache and goatee framed his tiny, pinched mouth making his lips look even more severe, though his narrow eyes were surprisingly warm. He held out his arms to me and I stepped inside them.

"My darling girl. I am so happy you were able to make it down before the weather canceled flights." He held me out at arm's length to get a good look at me. Like I had any choice, I thought ruefully.

"It was a touchy landing, but you employ the best pilots."

"Well, with our line of work, they are a must. How is your own training going?"

"My instructor tells me I'm at the top of the class, but I think he's just afraid to say anything else."

"Nonsense! I've seen your test scores. He would be accurate in that assessment." Then why did you even ask me if you'd already seen my scores? I stared at the man before me as he took his seat and motioned for me to take mine. I waited for him to continue, afraid I would accidentally say something inappropriate if I opened my mouth. "Maybe I'll even take you on as my personal pilot until you've passed the financial certifications."

I lifted my eyebrows. The idea of being a pilot was much more appealing than working in his office by his side all day. Maybe if I could show enough skill there, he wouldn't force me into the business side. When the crow turns white, as my mother liked to say. Meaning I wasn't holding my breath.

"I would like that very much." I was careful not to let too much emotion into my voice, for fear he might take it away if he thought I was too excited about it. He sat back and smiled, pleased with my docility.

"Wonderful! I have a board meeting in a few minutes, but I wanted to make you aware of the schedule for the next few days." He slid a handheld viewer with an itinerary across the lacquered table. It was packed. "Now I don't want you to think that there won't be any free time. You will be able to see your friends in the evening, but as you know there is a lot of preparation for the Shareholder's Ball and I expect you to make a good impression as usual."

I stifled a laugh. Free time? Aside from this evening, the only free time I would have would be when I was asleep or in the bathroom, and even then I'd be guarded. "Of course. I know what a big deal this is for the company." My voice was a little too level, bordering on monotonous. He was too absorbed in his own schedule to notice.

"Perfect." He glanced at the clock on his desk. "As much as I'd love to have a visit with you, though, I must prepare for my meeting. Your apartment is ready for you." He stood and motioned me toward the door, following with his hand on my back. "I'll see you in the morning at your dress fitting." He kissed me on the temple as I waited for the lift. The doors slid open, revealing a tall, muscular man. His smooth, dark skin suggested a native Vespian, though he could have been from one of the more tropical zones on Lares. He regarded me with a hard look that was very familiar, though I couldn't place it. As we switched places, he ducked his head to acknowledge my presence.

"Dominic! So glad you could make it..." My father was saying as the doors closed. My stomach lurched as the elevator began its descent into my own personal Hell. I couldn't shake the nagging feeling that I should know that man. Distraction overtook me as my mind shifted to the schedule that was still in my hands. I flicked through it and sighed. Tonight would be my only chance to get some practice in on the mats.

I dropped my things just inside the door of my apartment and changed my clothes. The apartment was a large three bedroom. I had converted one into a practice room for when I couldn't get to the dojo Sensei Arakawa had across town. Since I didn't feel like fighting the crowds right now, I stayed in.

When our ancestors settled here, the remnants from Earth governments made an effort to promote the preservation of cultural traditions from their previous societies. As generations of humans moved around the new planetary system and built new cultures, cities became amalgamations of traditions and customs from eons passed. Eventually, a societal homogeneity formed. In grade school, students would pick extracurriculars depending on where their ancestors came from. With Kinto being settled by the Asian countries of Earth, most of us settled on some form of martial arts because what kid doesn't want to play with weapons and hit things? I was the only kid in my group to stick with the practice beyond primary school, though. Everyone else drifted towards less time-consuming hobbies or sports.

Pulling up the projection on my arm for my Halo, I connected it to the external unit in the wall across from me. The external unit in the wall offered a wide selection of current tracks, but I was more in the mood for classical. I selected a playlist and turned up the volume. Maybe I would get lucky and disturb the board meeting on the upper levels. I laughed to myself at the thought of 'disturbing' anyone as the first animalistic screams played out over the hidden speakers.

"What is this noise?" Han screamed as he stepped inside. Jackson's temporary replacement had arrived. I was lucky my father had even allowed me to travel alone, but as guards went, Han wasn't that bad.

"Classical music," I yelled back, laughing.

"This doesn't sound like Bach."

"My version of classical. It's from the 20th century."

"Sounds...interesting." I was surprised by his seeming distaste for my music. Han was a thin man with close-cut, graying hair and a very capable fighter. I expected men in his line of work to appreciate the violence of the music considering how violence was crammed down their throats all through their time at the academy. The only people scarier than Jahvi-trained personal guards were Marines. Jackson had never complained.

I picked up my staff and began working through the kata Sensei Arakawa had shown me during my last trip home. Once I found a rhythm, my motions blended in with the loud music. It suited me better than the more popular noise. Sometimes when I listened to it, I felt like I was born in the wrong time. I felt too old for my skin.

When the first playlist ended and switched to the next, I moved to the practice dummy that I had rescued from the Sensei. It took the brunt of my aggression. I thought about my father and his plans for me; I thought about Jackson and his accident; I thought about the life I envisioned for myself that I would probably never have and I beat every bit of it into the dummy. I jabbed, thrust, and kicked through everything until my anger was a river flowing down my back. The playlist ended and I propped myself up on my staff, huffing and wheezing.

"Damn, girl. What are you working off?"

"Same shit as always."

"Your dad?"

"And then some."

"It's surprising that, as strong as you are, you can't stand up to him." Han's expression was understanding. He was one of the few employees of my father's that seemed to retain his humanity. I hoped his lasted longer than the others' had. I stood and returned my staff to the posts on the wall.

"Feel like getting something to eat?" I asked, throwing a towel around my neck.

"I thought you'd never ask." Han punched the wall panel, letting me walk in front of him. His cologne was strong and reminded me of one I'd bought for my father as a teenager that was supposed to smell like some kind of evergreen tree. Not that he would know. The only trees he'd ever seen, to my knowledge, were ornamental like willows, oaks, and a few types of fruit trees in the groves on Fauna.

"Okay, I'll just take a quick shower and we'll go."

"Sounds good." The shower was glorious and gave me back a little bit of the energy I'd just burned off. The scent of Faunan plum blossoms followed me out the door.

We took the elevator down to the food level of the city. Those that finally settled here originally had taken on a love for organization that was no doubt necessitated by their travel conditions. Early space faring vessels were relatively small and required a painstaking attention to structure that bordered on the obsessive, and this was translated into city planning on the Triplets. Vespa was more carefully laid out than Lares or Fauna, but that was only because Vespa had more industrial cities than her verdant sisters. Cities grew up, instead of out, which meant that they were organized into specialty levels.

Han and I decided on a popular street vendor that was close to the tower and tucked in an alley that he felt was easily defensible. Thankfully, it was a slow season in Kinto or we would have had to rent out a whole restaurant just for the two of us, per my father's strict orders, and that was more stress than I felt like getting into. Nearby advertisements overrode my silence feature on the Halo. I was suddenly assaulted with garish tunes and high-pitched voices trying to sell me UV barrier creams. I swiped the gold device around my neck and sighed as ambient music replaced the jarring ad-noise. Sitar blended with shamisen and shinobue to create a more relaxing sound. Han was having a harder time with his lower model and squinted through the noise.

"So how's your family?" I asked as the merchant prepared our momos and kati rolls.

"My wife's pregnant with our third right now and she's pretty close to her due date, so she's less than pleasant."

I snickered. "Yeah, I don't think I can really blame her."

"No, I can't either. I just try to do what I can to help out."

"I guess she wasn't too thrilled at you pulling 'Princess Duty'."

"You shouldn't call it that."

"Don't most of the guards call it that already?"

The corner of his lip dropped in what I had come to know as his disapproving face. "Yeah, but they're assholes. As far as jobs go, this one is pretty good. We get paid better than most people on the planet and you could be a lot more...difficult. I've worked security for some celebrities that are absolutely impossible." I lifted an eyebrow curiously as he spoke. He laughed a little. "I can't tell you who, but we'll just say there's a very popular Jammer pilot that is certain his life will end if he doesn't have thirteen cherries, a full baked salmon and a pound of rice waiting on him when he gets home from a game."

I laughed outright. It wasn't so much what Han was saying, but I knew exactly who he was talking about. Elvin Hask was the most popular Jammer pilot in the system. Jammer was a sport similar to American football of the past, but the players wore biomechanical suits, giving them enhanced physical abilities. They were called pilots because the suits were more like ships than anything else. They took a hell of a lot of energy to control, yes, but Elvin was well known for being a little overdramatic about the whole thing. How he still had sponsors with all his whining, I wasn't sure.

"I mean, never mind the fact that it's almost impossible to get rice on the surface anymore, but cherries aren't exactly in season during Jammer but he is adamant about it. So, Miss Bishom, I would much rather work with you than people like him."

I held up my hands in mock surrender. "Okay, point made."

The merchant sat our food in front of us and we ate in amicable silence. Night had fallen in earnest, but it did little to soften the heat. The remnants of the earlier wind couldn't even make its way through the labyrinth of buildings.

"How long has it been since you had real rice?" I asked as I finished my last bite. I called for an order of mochi. I wasn't celebrating anything, but they reminded me of my childhood and I needed the pick-me-up.

He took a breath and looked up as he chewed. "Maybe a year? I'm not sure but it's been a long time. The kids really miss it."

I handed the merchant my bit card and motioned for a bag of rice on the upper shelf. His eyes widened, but he ran the chip and handed me the bag. I plopped it down beside Han's now-empty bowl. He looked at it like I'd just handed him a bag of money.

"What's this for?"

"I like you, Han. You're a nice guy and a good guard. Call it a baby shower gift."

"I can't take a gift so expensive."

"Please. I have a hefty allowance. My father can afford it."

"Thank you very much. Cassandra and the kids will be so excited!"

I smiled. "Well, that makes my day to know that I've brought a little joy to a miserable, pregnant woman's life."

Han chuckled. "Yeah, and you've got me out of the doghouse for at least the next month."

As the merchant took our dishes, Han sat back and crossed his arms over his chest.

"You know, Bishom, you're not half bad."

I liked being called by my last name like I was more of a colleague than his charge. "You're not half bad yourself, Park."

I paid the merchant for our meals and we headed back toward Bishom Tower. The pedestrian platform between the Arakawa Tower and my father's vibrated with the passing of a low-flying tourist shuttle. Offworlders loved to see the corporate headquarters of my father's company, especially at night. It was truly a marvel of architectural design with its black tower and neon-lit lifts zipping over its exterior in every direction. Despite its undeniable beauty, I wasn't eager to get back to the apartment my father kept for me there. I leaned against the glass railing and looked down into the heart of the city as the shuttle glided through the polluted air between the buildings and out of sight. Han took his position beside me.

Tamarind and curry competed with the omnipresent burning polymer smell that accompanied large cities like this. We were too far away from any environmental or air scrubbing center to have fresh air or anything of the like. The buildings that reached far above cloud deck blocked all currents, leaving the stale air to fall heavy on my chest like a weight. I looked up willing the clouds to open and rain down, giving me a reason to feel so melodramatic.

A woman screamed to my right. I whipped my body around to see what was going on. She jumped from one foot to the other and held her face while a man knelt in front of her. When he stood and took her in his arms, the crowd around them clapped and cheered.

I smiled and looked again at the city that had been my home for the last twenty years. The colorful advertisements that scanned along the solar windows and flashed across every flat surface made a truly mesmerizing backdrop for a marriage proposal, despite the pollution. Whoever that guy was, he'd picked a wonderful spot for it. I wondered if the man who was allowed to marry me would be able to choose the spot, or if my father would be the one to do that. He'd probably make all the decisions about the wedding, too.

My mood had officially soured. I scooted past the happy couple and their well-wishers with Han following a safe distance behind. As high as we were now, we still had to take a lift up another fifty floors to reach my apartment. I was like a bird in a gilded cage and I hated it. Birds were meant to fly and this was no kind of life. Whatever he was protecting me from was probably not nearly as bad as he thought.

Even before my mom's death, he had been nervous about my safety. Rarely had I ever been anywhere without a guard. At first, it was women, but somewhere around my ninth birthday, he decided that women couldn't be trusted and never hired another. Luckily, that was also around the time he found Jackson and sponsored his education at the academy. It still wasn't enough and over time, my father had become increasingly paranoid.

My Halo started beeping as soon as I was inside. I figured I would need a supplement, though I had been good about eating right and didn't think I'd let my levels fall too low during my workout. I checked the projection. My serotonin had crashed. I tossed back a couple pills and said goodnight to Han who had taken a position on my couch with his handheld. He gave me a slight wave and I retreated to my bedroom. My bed surrounded me in a cloud of softness, but it would be several hours before sleep finally took me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

817 3 3
*This book is available for Pre-Order on the Amazon Kindle Marketplace! Official Release Date is 07/16/2022! Paperback and Hardcover editions will re...
277K 13.1K 62
Abandoned and left to die, a human girl must fight to survive on an alien planet filled with monsters that want to kill her. That is until she meets...
433K 23.8K 28
My father left me and my mother when I was nine. When I was twelve, he came back for me, and caused destruction in his wake. Little did I know what w...
107 1 17
How can the two opposing forces survive when they both want to be the dragon? How much will one have to shrink in size before the curse is finally b...