Take A Walk (A Hunter Hayes F...

By Nethii120700

❝I'll take a walk, clear my thoughts, move along, no questions asked. Take whatever's left of me, and leave y... More

Take A Walk (A Hunter Hayes Fanfiction, Book 5 of The Hardships Saga)
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four

Chapter Forty-Five

125 6 5
By Nethii120700

❝indispensable (pronounced ɪndɪˈspɛnsəb(ə)l or in-di-spen-suh-buh l), adjective
absolutely necessary.❞

"Spencer, what on Earth happened to your hand?!" said Ryan in shock as Spencer tried to silently take a bag of frozen pizza pockets as an ice pack.

"I fell on it," he said quietly.

"It's swollen like a balloon, honey!" she said, instantly sitting him down and giving him a glass of water. "Did you get on the bus like this? Did no one notice?"

"Ma, I'm fine," he muttered. "I'm not two anymore."

"Correct, you're twelve, and you should know better than to not go to the nurse's office," she said angrily, taking a look at his wrist. "Gosh, honey, I think you've sprained it."

"No kidding," he muttered. "I thought it was fine."

"Don't you give me sass, Spencer Lark. How did you fall this badly?"

"I fell off the monkey bars."

Her green eyes pierced his blue ones, and he gulped slightly. She could see through any lie that he tried to tell. "Now, you and I both know that you have more balance than a trapeze artist, don't we?" she asked very softly. "Why did you fall off the monkey bars?"

"I'm telling the truth-"

"And I don't dispute that. But why did you fall, when you've never fallen before?"

"No reason," he said.

Her eyebrows merely quirked up slightly, but he kept his face straight. Eventually, she sighed. "Let's get Aunt Rose. She'll be able to help with this, I don't want to bandage it wrong in case it's worse than just a sprain."

"Ma, I didn't-"

"I know. I know you didn't mean to." She smoothed a hand over his fringe and kissed his head gently. Her hand cupped his cheek, the soft texture of it calming him down immensely. "But I expect the truth out of you soon. Very soon."

"Yes Ma," he said quietly, and she left quickly, grabbing her keys and pulling a jacket over her ratty old t-shirt.

"Let's get going, hmm? Are you hungry?"

"Not really."

"Okay, love. I'll get you a bagel, okay? I know you like the cream cheese bagels at the cafe downtown."

"Yes, Ma."

"I'll try make you a sling, okay?" she said, getting a scarf from the coat rack and fashioning it into a sling for his wrist. "It'll be easier to hold up that way."

"Thank you."

"Let's go."

<><><><><><><><>

"Japan is so beautiful," said Elle softly, looking out over the balcony of the Starbucks they were at. She had gotten a passionfruit and yoghurt milkshake, and Drew had a butterscotch iced coffee.

"It is, isn't it?" he said softly. "Just like you, sweetheart."

"You're gross," she said, nudging his foot under the table, and Drew took her hand, looking out over the incredible view. "How was Museum Ghibli?"

"It was so amazing, Ellie," he said, his eyes immediately brightening. "Holy shit, I just- wow. Wow."

"I know how much you love-"

"Totoro! And No-Face and Ponyo and Lady Eboshi-"

"You dork," she laughed. "I'm glad you're enjoying yourself."

He took her hand up to his mouth, kissing it softly. "I have a plan tonight," he said. "I know where we're going."

"Where?"

"You'll see, Mrs Greene," he said, and she felt herself go red. It sounded so... different. A good different. Elle Greene.

"Tonight is your ovulation night," he reminded her, a small smile on his face.

"I'm glad you remembered," she teased, giving him a smile.

"Of course I did." He stood, brushing himself off. "Finished your drink?"

"Yeah."

The two of them went back to the hotel room, got dressed in moderately fancy clothes, and left off, with Drew's Japanese guiding them through the city.

They ended up at a giant Ferris wheel, the size of a skyscraper. Drew smiled at Elle. "Welcome to the Tempozan Ferris Wheel. It's an observation wheel."

"A what?"

"Basically," he said, "we can see all over the city from here. It's beautiful."

"Really?"

"I've asked them specially if we could get a compartment to ourselves. Cost a little extra, but worth it for you, my love."

"Drew, you need to stop-"

"No I don't," he said, kissing her head once. "Let's go. If we catch it in time, we'll see the sunset."

"You're insane, Greene."

"You love it, Greene," he teased, and she chuckled, taking his hand.

"I hate you," she said.

The lights of Tokyo were gorgeous from the wheel. The bright colours, the large boards, the ever-moving city, were all silent from this far up. Drew's hands were warm on Elle's waist, and she leaned into his body. "I can't believe that we're finally here," she breathed. "That we're safe."

"The world is ours," he said. "It's beautiful."

"We're here and we're here together," she said.

The two admired the view. Drew watched the falling caramel curls, the soft, beachy waves falling down her back and her soft yellow dress shimmering like candlelight, bringing out the golden flecks in her eyes. Her lashes touched her cheeks when she blinked, and her lips were just slightly parted. Drew thought she'd never looked so beautiful.

Elle admired the view too. Drew's hair, after being outside all day, was curled softly on his forehead, and his eyes reflected the silent city below them. The lights made him look younger, more like he did before everything had gone to hell and nearly killed him in the process. He looked like he was innocent. Like nothing had happened to ruin him permanently. He looked at her and his smile grew on his face, the dimples in his cheeks deep and dark. She took his hand and they watched over the city, the world soon to be theirs.

<><><><><><><><>

He watched Elle as she struggled to read the book. She had refused help too many times now, and he didn't want to ask again, but he knew she was starting to get frustrated. "H-He dint- no, that's didn't- brother to k- nock-" She sighed, resting her forehead on the book, and Drew silently sat beside her, taking the book.

"He didn't bother to knock. Just opened the door, as if the home was already his..." He trailed off when he noticed Elle looking away. "Honey?"

"I wish I could read properly," she said quietly.

"You can read properly," he said gently. "It's harder than it looks for you, and we all know that."

She shrugged, standing and walking to the bed. "Stupid book, anyway," she muttered. "Infanticide is stupid. Everything's stupid. I'm stupid."

"Don't start this again, my love. You've come so far." He sat beside her on the bed, playing with her fingers. "We're gonna be okay, you know that."

"Someday, our kid is gonna be the smartest kid in school," said Elle resolutely. "She'll be good at everything, because she'll get her father's brains."

"And her mother's kindness and love," he said softly, kissing her. "Her beauty, her grace..."

"Beanbag," she murmured, but he was already kissing her neck, moving down slowly.

He turned down the lights near their bed, making the room dark enough that they could only just see each other. "I say we forget about reading just for a little bit," he breathed. "After all, it's ovulation day, isn't it?"

She mumbled something in response, but really, neither of them cared what she said at this point. Drew's hands moved down her body, and she relaxed into his touch with a soft sound of content. "Drew, I... mmm..."

"I love you," he said softly, kissing her earlobe. "Believe me when I say, we have time."

"I love you, too," she whispered as his hand moved her shirt up, running over her navel. "I love you too, I swear it."

"Good," he breathed back, before losing himself in the brown of her eyes.

<><><><><><><><>

A year passed, and Elle slammed her fist down on the table in frustration. "Has it ever occurred to you that maybe I just can't have children?!"

Drew sighed exasperatedly, keeping his voice low as to not alarm her. He knew better than anyone how bad her panic attacks could get. "My love, we've been over this. It's not impossible, it's simply difficult."

"Two years, Drew, two years!"

"I'm sorry," he said softly. "I'm sorry that we haven't gotten lucky yet, but someday we will. Please take your pills."

"F*ck them. What've they done for me?"

Drew stood, putting his hands on her shoulders, and he felt them lose their tension. "My darling, we'll get there. Soon, I promise, okay?"

She sighed, looking away. Drew took his hands away and brushed his hair away from his eyes. "I've got to get going. I've got work. They asked me to stay overtime, that'll mean at least a few extra dollars."

"You need to work for people who appreciate you, not that dick, whatever his name is."

"Dirk. And I agree. But for now, it's all we've got." He kissed her. "I love you."

"I love you, too." She smiled slightly. "After my shift at the cafe, I've got an audition."

"That's exciting," he said encouragingly. "I'm sure you'll do amazing."

"Thanks, hon."

"Take your pills now, go on."

She took them quickly, then kissed Drew. "Love you."

"Love you more." He kissed her cheek, and hoisted his bag up his shoulder, before going on his way.

Elle didn't know much about the nature of his job. He was a worker in a factory, high tech machinery and sparks flying everywhere. It paid little to nothing, but it paid more than his other three jobs did. He spent his day moving hot metal and welding, trying not to die from the insanely unsafe conditions. He set his bag down in the locker room, looking around at the dark grey walls, and sighed. Another day.

He got to work, beginning to work the machine that only he could fix, and the reason the company kept him at all. He felt a giant hand slap his back, and he looked up. "Mr Cooper, sir."

"Drew Greene," he said. "I'd like you to step into my office."

"Why?"

"You don't ask questions around here, Drew Greene."

"My apologies, sir," he muttered bitterly.

The reason Dirk Cooper kept Drew around was because he knew that Drew was indispensable. Drew was the only one who could fix the machine because of all the time he'd spent in his garage with his father, and he was the least paid, but Drew knew that he needed to work for Dirk no matter what because he needed the cash. He needed the cash to look after the wife he'd do anything for. Cooper took advantage of it because he could.

"Alright, Greene, I'm gonna need you to stay back tonight."

"B-But sir, I'm making my wife dinner tonight, she's been really down lately and I-"

"I didn't ask for your life story. You're staying back 'til eleven."

"But I-"

"But you what?" Cooper asked viciously.

"I'm not staying back," said Drew. "I- It's my choice, and I choose to not stay back. I have my overnight job at midnight anyway, I need time to rest before then." He turned away to walk out of the office.

"You walk out that door and you're fired," said Cooper smugly, and Drew froze.

"You can't do that. You need me. I'm the only one who can work the machine."

"You can't afford to take that chance, can you, Greene?" asked Cooper.

Drew felt his hand curl up into a fist. "You're a monster."

"And you depend on me for that darling wife of yours." Drew turned around and glared daggers at Cooper's stupid face. "So you're staying back. And since that's your promotion, I'm not paying you the same rate as overtime. This is your new workday now."

"Nine am to eleven pm?! That's insane!"

"And it's your new workday. Is that clear, Drew Greene?"

"Yes, sir," he gritted out through his teeth.

"Good. Back to work, now, go on."

Drew slammed the door shut behind him, and made his way back to the locker room, where he sat down, trying hard not to cry. He found his phone and called Elle.

"Hello?"

"Hey, cookie."

"Drew! I just got on break, what good timing!"

"Yeah. Yeah, that's good."

She paused. "Honey, is something wrong?"

"W-What? No, not at all. I, uh, got a promotion."

"That's great!" she said, and Drew felt a tear slide down his cheek. "What, do you get paid extra?"

"Well, yes and no. My day is longer. I'm working 'til eleven, but I didn't get a payrise."

"Oh." She sighed. "That stupid Dirk is really taking you for granted. You're amazing, sweetheart. I can't wait until your manuscript goes through."

"Me, too." He took a deep breath. "Uh, d-don't wait up for me, okay?"

"No, I'll wait up. We said we'd have dinner, remember?"

"No, darling, I've got the night shift tonight, midnight 'til four. No use waiting up for me."

"You need to quit that job."

"Baby, it's all we've got."

"I know, but-" She sighed angrily. "I don't like seeing you like this. I know you're always exhausted because he overworks you, and you're working so hard, I can't keep-"

"Ellie, my love, please don't worry. Buy yourself a pizza or something for dinner tonight, okay?"

"I... I can't. The bills and rent just came in, rent is more expensive, they've upped the prices again."

Well, shit. "W-Well then, good that I got a promotion, right?"

"Y-Yeah. Yeah, I guess so."

"Oh, Ellie, honey, I'm so sorry that everything is going to shit."

"No, don't be. Please, don't blame yourself."

"Buy a pizza. I'll... I'll work overtime tonight, I'll earn it back. We'll be okay, you hear?"

"I know, my love. I know we'll be okay."

"I love you."

"I love you more. Take care today, okay? Make sure you rest as must as you need to. Drink water. It'll be okay."

"I'd better get going."

"Of course. Love you."

"Love you, too."

The thing about marrying your best friend, Drew realised as he put his phone back into the pocket of his bag, was that she could read him. She could read him, whether they were in the same room or halfway across the earth from each other.

Of course, the issue with that was that she knew that he wasn't trying to reassure her, he was trying to reassure himself.

*a/n: poor humans

nethii <3*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13K 418 25
"i don't care, even if the world is against us, i will always love you." cashlynn dallas and hunter rowland have been best friends for as long as the...
9.5K 422 48
I didn't think I would ever find someone who would actually love me. I always felt so worthless and pitiful. It was like there was no actual reason t...
2.3K 28 17
*Warning: sexual/adult content* This short series chronicles your relationship with Hunter Hayes, starting as you begin dating and going through to m...
8.8M 257K 64
"You're mine. And no one else's, got that?" Hunter asked looking down at me with a serious expression displayed on his face. Cover by: fatii227 ^_^