A Tale That Dawned [Book 4 of...

By GreatGustav

The war in Faeryum wages on as Selvina and her companions wait for winter to end before King Arthur's army ma... More

The Changes
Chapter 1: Herald of Doom
Chapter 2: Selvina the Slayer
Chapter 3: Departure
Chapter 4: Grim Tidings
Chapter 5: Acquiring Allies
Chapter 6: The Hood's Decision
Chapter 7: Hunter's Quarry
Chapter 8: The Water
Chapter 9: Life Stories
Chapter 10: The Second Parting
Chapter 12: The Question
Chapter 13: Divine Decision
Chapter 14: The Captain and the Huntsman
Chapter 15: Belle's Chance
Chapter 16: Unrest
Chapter 17: Dark Paths
Chapter 18: Several Leagues While Under the Sea
Chapter 19: She Came in the Rain
Chapter 20: Confrontation
Chapter 21: Friend Ship
Chapter 22: Mystery of the Light
Chapter 23: Pursuit of Purpose
Chapter 24: Struggle on the Southern Seas
Chapter 25: Taking the Wheel
Chapter 26: A King's Failure
Chapter 27: Nature's Fury
Chapter 28: Captive Guest
Chapter 29: Caer Gobiyth
Chapter 30: End of Wonderland
Chapter 31: Liberator
Chapter 32: The Only Weapon
Chapter 33: Accolon
Chapter 34: The Room of Doors
Chapter 35: Alone Among Thousands
Chapter 36: The Ice Queen
Chapter 37: To the Below
Chapter 38: Destiny Catalyst
Chapter 39: Defy
Chapter 40: God of Conquest
Chapter 41: Helpless
Chapter 42: Rockets and Fairy Dust
Chapter 43: Center of Focus
Chapter 44: Fighting the Odds
Chapter 45: To Battle a Sovereign
Chapter 46: The True Answer
Chapter 47: The Stranger
Chapter 48: Breaking the Chains
Chapter 49: Defend
Chapter 50: Back to Neverland
Chapter 51: Agony of Pain
Chapter 52: End of the Fall
Epilogue

Chapter 11: Left Behind

193 26 5
By GreatGustav

Selvina woke up in a large, soft bed, covered in heavy blankets. She blinked her green eyes open and examined the room, which was much larger than the one she had at the inn. A candle burned on the bedside table, filling the room with the scent of lemon and honey. For a moment she thought she was back in her world and the cold grip of panic set in.

Until she saw Belle sitting in a chair across the room, eyeing the fire crackling in the room's hearth.

"You're up," Belle said with a small smile, appearing tired and weary. "I'm so glad."

Selvina furrowed her brows in confusion. "You look like you haven't slept in days."

"I haven't," Belle said as she walked over to the bed and sat on its edge. "You were out for two days, Selvina."

Selvina's eyes bulged and she sat up in her bed. "What? Two days? How?"

"Merlin says you exhausted yourself beyond your physical capabilities. The only thing keeping you going was adrenaline, or so he says. Personally, I think it was love."

Memories of Jack's kiss, the disappearing wagon, and of the rowboats flashed in Selvina's mind. Could it all be a dream? "So they really left? Jack, Red, and Cindy are gone?"

Belle nodded and reached out, placing a warm hand on Selvina's. "Robin Hood, Bigbad, Ruslan, Sir Lancelot, Sir Gawain, and Captain Hook went with them."

Selvina's chest felt like it was crumbling from within. It was real. Jack was gone. Red, Cindy, Captain Hook were gone too. For all she knew she'd never see them again. "So it's just you and me?" she asked, barely above a whisper.

"Adam is here, obviously," Belle muttered. She then gave Selvina's hand a light pat. "Tinkerbelle too."

As if on cue, the little fairy fluttered into the room and flew glittering circles around Selvina's face, lightening the mood slightly. She then landed on the blonde's shoulder and said, "It's about time you wake up, sleepyhead! I was about to shove a few beetles up your nose if you slept for another day!"

Selvina grinned lightly. "Well, not everyone is gone, I see. Still, it's going to feel so different around here."

Belle nodded. "I know. I already miss them."

Selvina agreed wholeheartedly with that. She sighed deeply and clenched a hand into a fist. "This sucks..."

Just then, Merlin and King Arthur walked into the room, smiling at the sight of an awakened Selvina. She looked up at them briefly and fought with great difficult to not give Merlin a glare.

"That candle comes all the way from the southernmost provinces of Sauradia," Merlin said, his lips curled in a smile. "It is said to carry healing capabilities and is rather expensive. I am pleased to see you up and looking healthy, Selvina."

"I was just sleeping," Selvina said flatly. "I doubt your stupid candle had anything to do with healing me."

Belle's brows arched upward in worry but she said nothing. Tinkerbelle gave Selvina's ear a smack but the girl didn't care. She simply stared at the wall across the room, her jaw set and her back stiff.

"Forgive us for the intrusion," said King Arthur, "but we heard voices and thought it would be all right if we came in to investigate. It does bring me joy to see you alive and well, Selvina. I understand you may harbor some ill feelings toward Merlin but know that he only acted on my order."

Selvina's lips arched into a snarl and she slowly turned her head, giving King Arthur—the real King Arthur—a frown and glare. "So you're the one who thought I should stay behind?"

"It is the safest route to take, Selvina. There is too much at stake if you are captured—or worse."

Selvina pursed her lips and fought to stop her retort but failed quickly. She jabbed a finger at the king, not caring in the least who he was, and spat, "Look, your highness, I am not some fragile little damsel that you can just order around! In case you don't remember, I have been captured—several times actually—and I've been nearly killed more times than I remember but I always pulled through! I always survived! I don't need someone who barely knows me telling me what I can and cannot do! I may be super important for the future of this world but I think I've done enough to at least journey with my friends one more time before this war keeps going."

Deafening silence filled the room, so thick it constricted the chest and made it difficult to breathe. Belle's eyes were orbs, Tinkerbelle had buried herself into Selvina's hair, and even Merlin appeared shocked. King Arthur, however, was completely calm. To Selvina's surprise, he even smiled.

"It is easy to see why Queen Marian speaks so highly of you," he said at length. "If I didn't know you I'd think you were her younger sister."

Merlin exchanged a glance with Belle and Selvina, clearly surprised with the king's reaction. Selvina looked at her hands, wondering what she had just gotten herself into.

"I am a patient man, Selvina," the king went on, "therefore I will forgive you for this outburst but please, next time, do try to remember who you are speaking to. I have endured tortures you couldn't imagine and I will not be talked down to by a teen who is displeased with having to remain safe and secure from the extremely real and life-threatening dangers out there. You may have survived all threats thrown your way thus far but if you go through life thinking you are invincible your life will be a short one."

Selvina looked up and met King Arthur's gaze.

And immediately regretted it.

He wasn't frightening or even furious but his eyes held her gaze as firmly as shackles and she felt a lance of ice impale her heart at the mere thought of angering him. She was keenly reminded of the times she had displeased her father and faced his wrath. This was much worse, however. This wasn't an annoyed or angry father. This was a king.

"I understand you do not agree with my decision," he started, his voice as calm as ever, "but do realize that the greatest threat to your life is not a prideful judge, a bloodthirsty pirate, a mad queen, or an ambitious troll chief. This is the Black Knight, Selvina. With what we know, it cannot be killed and appears to be growing stronger. The Black Knight is not searching for Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, Jack, or Captain Hook. It is searching for you, Selvina. Only you. Forever you. If it ever discovers your location I would much rather it come to us, where Merlin and I can engage it than it finding you in an unprotected region of Faeryum where dozens, scores, hundreds, if not thousands of innocent lives could be lost. As a king there are times where I must place the needs of the many over the wants of the few.

"I am sorry you must be taken away from your friends once more—I truly am—but this isn't about just you and your friends anymore. This is about all of Faeryum. If you die, it is not only your friends who will suffer. It is everyone. Think about that, Selvina, and once you do, seek me out." He gave Belle a quick nod and left the room, giving Selvina one last look. Merlin left with him, saying nothing.

For many minutes, no one spoke. Selvina stared at her hands and Belle glanced about awkwardly. Tinkerbelle dug herself out of Selvina's hair and flew down on the bed, giving the girl's thumb a hug.

"I'm a bitch for doing that, aren't I?" Selvina said quietly, her eyes focused on her hands. "He's right though. I'm being selfish and childish. Staying here makes sense....I see that...I just..." Selvina blinked away oncoming tears and looked away. "God, why am I crying all the time?! What the hell did Amalthea see in me? I'm just a needy little child who's too impatient and selfish to do the right thing."

"You're human," Belle said softly.

"Oh, don't give me that crap. Sure, I'm human, but I'm a pathetic one. I was brought here to protect the people of Faeryum from the Writer and all I'm doing is pissing people off. King Arthur brought his army and his knights all the way here for me and all I can do is bitch to his face! My brother would be so disappointed with me right now. I honestly don't know why he wasn't chosen to come here instead of me. I'm a pitiful excuse for a last hope."

"Enough with the self-pity!" Tinkerbelle snapped, fluttering up to Selvina's nose and giving it a pinching slap. "Yes, you screwed up, and it won't be the last time that you do. Get over it! King Arthur wanted to see you, in case you forgot, so I wouldn't keep him waiting for too long. Make sure to apologize to him when you do!"

Selvina sighed and nodded. "I suppose I should..."

"Do you want me to come with you?" Belle asked comfortingly.

Selvina shook her head as she lifted the blanket off her legs and swung them over the side of the bed. "No, I need to do this alone. I'm the one he wants to see."

Belle nodded and stood up, helping Selvina to her feet. She handed her some fresh clothes, which Selvina changed into quickly, and then gave her a warm hug and smiled warmly. "Jack, Red, Cindy, and the others will come back, Selvina. You will see them again before too long. I know it'll be tough without them here but Tink and I are here to help however we can. You still have friends here, you know."

Selvina hugged her back, realizing how much she had needed it. "Thank you, Belle. I know you've got stuff to do here too so I'll try not to annoy you too much."

"Come to me anytime, Selvina, whether it's me or Adam. I mean it."

Selvina pulled away and nodded. Tinkerbelle flew onto Belle's shoulder and placed her hands on her hips.

"Yes, Tink," Selvina said, "I know that I can come to you too. You might need to remind me a few times, though."

To that, Tinkerbelle shook her golden-haired head like a disappointed mother.

"We'll be at the inn if you need us," Belle said as Selvina walked to the door.

The young blonde nodded, gave her two remaining friends a sincere smile, and walked out of the room, leaving them behind.

****

Selvina walked into the hall outside her room and found herself in Maron's keep, which the queen called The Block. No wonder her bed had been larger and more comfortable, she thought as she made her way to the exit. She passed guards, soldiers, servants, and all manner of castle attendants but said not a word to a single one. After a few wrong turns and dead ends she eventually found her way outside of the keep, where Merlin stood and waited.

"I thought King Arthur wanted to meet me," she said, glancing about for him.

"He did," Merlin said with a nod. "He waits for you by the northern gate. I trust you know how to ride?"

Selvina shrugged. "I took a few lessons, yeah."

"Good." He then gestured behind her, to the north. "I would hurry if I were you, my dear."

Selvina nodded quickly and hurried to the northern gate, dodging masons, carpenters, brick layers, labourers, and the beasts of burden aiding them in rebuilding the damaged city. The troll attack a month previous had nearly leveled it and there was doubt that the work would be complete before winter. She ran by them all and pounded down the road to the northern gate.

She arrived in time to see King Arthur astride a horse with a riderless one beside him. Standing on his other side was Queen Marian. The two sovereigns appeared to be talking and when Selvina approached their talks ended and the queen departed the scene but not before giving the girl a wink and a smirk.

"Mount the horse and stay beside me," the king said, never looking at her once.

Selvina gulped and, with some struggle, managed to climb atop the large horse.

"Come," was all King Arthur said before he set his mount in motion.

Selvina, remembering her riding lessons, gave the horse a light kick with her heels and had it keeping pace with King Arthur's. The two rode down the northern road in silence, passing farmers harvesting the last of the late season crops and winterizing their homes by heaving extra hay on their roofs and piling mud and moss in any cracks in their walls. Sheep were shorn and fattened pigs were led out back. Selvina looked away before the slaughter happened and glanced at King Arthur. His eyes were on the road and his jaw was tight.

Trying to lighten the mood, Selvina said, "Not on your griffin today? I bet it misses Bigbad already. Those two are so—"

"I am disappointed in you, Selvina," King Arthur interrupted stiffly.

Not the first time I heard that, she thought, visions of the many times her father had uttered those same words flashing in her mind. "I'm sorry, King Arthur. I stepped out of line and I should have known better."

"You should have, indeed."

Selvina looked down in shame and focused on her horse's mane, watching it bounce with every step.

The king looked at her then, his expression hard yet not threatening. "I understand what you are going through, Selvina, believe me. I was not born to royalty. I never wanted to be king or a even knight."

Selvina looked up, meeting his gaze, her interest piqued.

"I was born a stable boy, Selvina, though I trust you already know this. I am told your world has stories of my life."

"Well, they're more like legends, but yeah, my world knows of King Arthur and the Round Table," she answered quietly.

"Then you know that it was the sword that gave me kingship and nothing else. I was chosen beyond my will to unite the people of Avalon. I didn't want it at first. I dreaded it and was almost certain that I would fail. Needless to say, however, I didn't.

"I had the help of great friends and through terrible struggle and adversity, we succeeded. So, believe me, when I say that losing friends at a time like this is difficult, but it happened to me as well."

Selvina glanced around, noticing that no one was listening, and then asked, "You mean Sir Lancelot and Guinevere?"

King Arthur smiled lightly and nodded. "Yes, I do. The war was looking grim and I had been beset by several failures and lost battles. What territory I had gained at the beginning of the war was lost to me and I grew desperate. I was on the field every day and journeying the countryside, rallying what allies I could find. Meanwhile, my dear Guinevere remained at camp, alone and neglected. The few times I returned to camp I was busy with matters of war and paid her little to no heed. We were both so young in those days and so prone to making mistakes.

"My best friend, Sir Lancelot, noticed how distraught and upset my beloved was and tried to lighten the mood, as he is wont to do. In my absence, he kept her occupied and reminded her over and over how much I loved her and how, for the moment, the war was too important to put aside. He kept my love happy for purely selfless reasons but...as it sometimes happens, a bond was formed and...well, I was betrayed by the both of them."

Selvina felt the air around her tense and noticed King Arthur clenching his reins just a little tighter. Despite all the years since it had happened, the betrayal clearly still pained him.

"After such a betrayal," he went on, "I began to rapidly lose the war. Allies turned on me and I was beset by all sides. I couldn't focus properly and I nearly had both Lancelot and Guinevere beheaded for their treason. Many of my knights and advisors demanded it. It appeared as if all was lost to me. I was furious, broken, saddened, and afraid."

He stopped his horse just before a wooden bridge. It spanned a creek shadowed by the thick foliage bordering its banks, much of it leafless. Arthur turned in his saddle and eyed Selvina. "Do you know what happened after that?"

Selvina shook her head. "I don't. In some versions of your legend you are killed in battle, overcome with grief... Obviously that didn't happen."

The king smiled forlornly. "No, that did not happen. Sir Lancelot and my beloved Guinevere came to me, when I was at my weakest, and begged for forgiveness. Lancelot was ready to slit his own throat for me and Guinevere told me she'd drown herself if it would ease my suffering. I could see the pain in their eyes and knew that they regretted every moment of their act. Their love for me gave me strength and, despite many people telling me otherwise, I forgave them. Some of them still call me a fool to this day for doing so.

"And yet, soon after, a battle was won, and then another, and before long former enemies were banding to my side and the tide of battle eventually turned in my favour. Years later, Avalon was united, and I was made king of it all.

"The point of this, Selvina, is that though you may feel abandoned or perhaps neglected, you are not alone. Your friends are all able folk and they shall return to you."

"You can't know for sure," she muttered aloud before catching herself.

"No, I cannot," he said, urging his horse across the bridge, the animal's hoofs clopping loudly upon the wooden planks. "But even if your friends fail in their missions and, gods forbid, they fall, they will never be forgotten and you must use your memories of them as your strength. I know you need your friends, Selvina, just like I did and still do, but Faeryum needs you as well. You, like me, were chosen, and, though you may not want the responsibility, it is your destiny to see the task through, no matter how difficult it may be. Do you think it was easy for me to forgive Lancelot and Guinevere? I've fought countless battles, encountered dangerous beasts, and faced impossible odds but forgiving my two closest friends for their betrayal was the most difficult task I had ever done. Yet, had I not, I doubt I would have had the heart to keep fighting. A united Avalon would have never happened and I would not be here today to aid you."

Selvina sighed and glanced aside at the meandering forest stream they had just crossed, watching falling leaves drift down from their branches to alight gently upon the water's surface, creating the faintest of ripples.

"We need allies in this fight," King Arthur continued. "If your friends can help us in gaining some, then the risk they take in doing so is more than worth it. Would you not agree?"

Selvina almost shrugged. Instead, she nodded once. "Yes, I agree..."

King Arthur reached over and placed a gloved hand on her shoulder, squeezing it gently. "Have heart, Selvina. It is not a simple thing being chosen by higher powers, but know that if ever you are in need of aid, I am here. I may be king, but I am also your friend and your partner in this endeavor."

Selvina smiled slightly and felt a rush of warmth pulse through her heart. King Arthur's words were comforting and strengthening and she found herself grateful for his company. She met his eye and smiled wider. "Thank you, your highness."

"To you, I am simply Arthur."

"Well, thank you, Arthur."

They rode on for several more pleasant minutes, neither of them saying anything, until Selvina remembered something.

"Your high—I mean, Arthur, what were you and Queen Marian talking about before we left the city?" she asked him questioningly.

King Arthur sniffed. "Oh, I was simply speaking to her about your...outburst. Normally, such an action would be severely reprimanded. Some kings execute those who speak to them thusly. Luckily for you, I am not one of those kings. Since, however, I am not king of New Avalon, I asked the queen her thoughts on the matter and if she saw it fit to punish you."

Selvina's stomach hardened like lead and her body went cold. Was King Arthur dropping her guard with the ride and talk only for her to face punishment when she returned to the city? Subconsciously, her mind began planning routes of escape. Gathering courage, she asked, "And what did she say?"

King Arthur did not seem pleased when he said, "She laughed and said you should be given a reward, not a punishment."

Selvina failed in preventing a smile from creeping on her face.

To her relief, King Arthur smiled as well.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.9K 699 9
Y/n was Merlin's childhood friend. She was his favourite person in the world. But she was kidnapped when they were 12. A witch stole her from him and...
726 60 21
What would you do if you were trapped inside your mind? That every time you slept, the beast came out to terrorize the people you loved. After esca...
131K 11K 55
A war is brewing in The Faerie Realm; it's up to a knight, a prince, and an outcast to stop it. When a sinister and mysterious master takes contro...
13K 480 18
The Evil Queen has been waiting for her revenge for way too long. So as word spreads that Snow White is about to have a daughter she makes a plan to...