Return of the Avatar (Voltron...

By RubiRose15

In which Keith discovers he's the avatar and things just spiral downhill from there. Cover art by inkandowl o... More

2
3
Um, quick intermission
4

1

2.9K 55 58
By RubiRose15

A/N: This fic is inspired by inkandowl's fanart. It is really friggin good. I asked permission to make this lol

Wow I think I need anxiety medication XD it was nerve-wracking to send that ask. Anyhoo, hope you enjoy. I know a lot of people on Pinterest were begging for this to be a fic.

Keith was never one to enjoy traveling. He preferred to stay at home, in the Fire Nation. He especially didn't want to voyage to the frozen tundra that was the Southern Water Tribe. Unfortunately for him, his mother had dragged him with her on a "business trip".

His mother, named Azar, worked for a group of people called the Galra Empire. They went around the world in search of the Avatar. Without context, it all sounded fine, however, they searched for the master of the elements to kill them. Whenever a youth showed signs of being the next Avatar, you could bet the Galra would show up soon. Countless innocent lives were taken.

Water, fire, earth, and air. The Avatar could control them all. However, the next reincarnation has not appeared for years and years. Common knowledge was that they would be reborn within  a few years, and would show signs of controlling the four elements in early youth, but no one had demonstrated anything of the sort. Eventually, a small band of people boldly declared that the era of the Avatar was over. With relatively powerful at its center, the small group became something massive. They became the Galra Empire.

The Galra did more than just killing anyone with an affinity for the elements, they also caused what Azar called 'mischeif'. Keith knew they actually did more than that. They went around and enslaved small villages that couldn't do much to defend themselves as well. They decided that if no one could stop them from doing harm, then why do good?

Keith knew what his mother did was wrong. He always wanted to stop her from going on these so-called business trips and live a normal family life. She was a good soldier, and could easily use her power for good. Sadly, the boy wasn't good with speaking to others. He used his time to brood like a miserable anti-hero rather than actually doing anything.

Taking a deep breath, Keith watched the ship reach land. He roused his pet, a fox cat named Red, and stood up. The feline crawled up to his shoulders and yawned lazily, going back to sleep as he began walking off the ship.

"Holy shit, this place is cold" the boy hissed, rubbing his arms. "How do people live like this?!"

"Just channel some of that fire within," Azar said suddenly, moving to walk next to her son. She smiled fondly at him and ruffled his hair. Her hand dropped to the thick hair gathered at his neck. "You need to cut your hair or put it up."

"Hey! For your information I think I can pull off a mullet!" Keith snapped defensively.

"Mm, whatever you say," the woman shrugged before rushing forward to join her fellow commanders at the front. Keith sighed in annoyance and rubbed his arms again. Red affectionately nuzzled his cheek in an attempt to warm him up. The boy smiled and scratched behind her ear, much to the half feline's pleasure.

"Let's go. Maybe we'll find something interesting." Keith mumbled to his companion, walking further inland. He soon came across a small village where groups of people were busy with their work. He walked around, curiously watching everyone. A few people eyed him suspiciously, probably wondering what a fire bender was doing in the south.

Keith wandered for a while until he saw the Galra in formation, marching toward a fancy building, presumably the home of the cheif. He ran toward it so his mother wouldn't have to call him over, and stood in the crowd next to a high up officer named Thace. 

He noticed while they were walking that Thace's eyes seemed to wander to him every so often. He looked thoughtful, like he was contemplating something involving him. Eventually the man suddenly pulled him aside.

"What? Is something the matter?" Keith tilted his head in confusion.

"Listen, son of Azar. When they talk to the chief, I want you to sneak inside and warn the princess to run and hide." Thace began.

"W-what?"

"Warn Princess Allura to run. They're going to try to kill her."

"I, um, I get that, it's just, why me?" Keith asked suspiciously.

"Your mother most likely trusts you not to interfere. I feel she and the other soldiers are starting to realize my... double agency."

"Double agency?"

"Look, there's no time to explain everything in detail. Just sneak in and warn the princess. It's easy." Thace repeated, and gently shoved Keith toward the chief's house.

The Galra had begun talking to Chief Alfor. They explained that his daughter was reportedly showing signs of an interest in all four elements. The chief looked shocked, but refused entry into his home. He knew their intentions with his daughter.

Somehow, with the minor distraction, Keith was able to slip into the house with some help from Red. She snuck through the open front door, looking like a curious animal, and then she opened a back window for him to crawl through. The boy looked around and quietly called out.

"Allura?" he stage whispered. He peeked into every room in the house until he was suddenly attacked from behind with a cold blast of water that surrounded his lower body and froze him to the spot.

"Who are you?!" a young woman with curly white hair exclaimed. She must've been the princess. "Fath--"

"Wait! Shushshushshush!" Keith interrupted in a panic. "I'm here to help you! The Galra is here to kill you! You need to hide!"

"Mrow!" Red yowled in agreement.

"What?" the princess dropped her aggression and replaced it with terrified surprise.

"The Galra are here. They're gonna kill you,"

"I heard you!" Allura snapped. "Why would they target me?"

"Apparently you've been showing an interest in all the elements. They'll take anything as a sign nowadays." Keith explained. "You don't have much time until their peaceful negotiation becomes brute force. Take my jacket. If you run away, they'll mistake you for a fire bender at quick glance."

"Thank you," Allura took the jacket. "Why are you helping me?" the boy shrugged.

"I just... needed to."

"Well, thank you very much. I'll be going-- wait, what about my father?"

"Don't worry about him. Just save yourself."

"No. I can't just leave him here! The Galra are horrible monsters who will destroy anything in their path!"

"Trust me, I know that more than anything!" Keith huffed. "But you can't afford to wait for him. If you value your life, please, just run."

"...." Allura was quiet for a long moment. "I can't,"

"UGH,"

"Please understand. I won't leave if I can't ensure the safety of my family."

"Okay, okay, whatever. Can you just, unfreeze me? I am not cut out for the cold." Allura did as she was asked and Keith shuddered at the warmth getting to surround him. Red rubbed against his legs to help. "How about this. I'll tell the forces outside that you aren't here while you run. They should still be slightly peaceful, and will retreat until they know you're back. It'll keep your father safe."

"That's... Not bad. Alright, I'll trust you." Allura nodded and put on the jacket she was given. "Thank you,"

"... It's nothing," Keith couldn't help the surge of warmth that accumulated due to doing what he knew was right and good. He watched the princess leave through a back window before heading to the front door. On the way he picked up another coat so he wouldn't die of hypothermia. The door was wide open, with Alfor guarding it with his back turned to him. Keith spoke up from behind him, startling the poor man and confusing the Galra outside.

"Princess Allura is nowhere to be found. I believe she was previously notified of our arrival and escaped." he looked out into the crowd to see looks of disappointment, and a look of gratitude from Thace.

"What? Allura? Where is she?! What have you done with her?!" Alfor grabbed Keith by the collar and lifted him up angrily. The boy hastily and quietly explained.

"I warned her! I told her to run!" he whispered. "She's safe," Alfor looked stunned and dropped the boy before Azar could run to the front and attack him for trying to hurt her son.

"You did?"

The young fire bender nodded. Alfor stood still for a moment before giving a slight nod and turning back to the rest of the Galra.

"You heard him. She's not here. Check another time..."

"She may have escaped us today, but we promise we will find her soon." Haggar, the second Galra in command, croaked.

"I'll be sure to keep that from happening."

"Keith," Azar motioned for him to come to her. He obeyed and quickly ran to her side. She looked at Alfor. "If you ever try to hurt my son again I will not hesitate to burn you alive."

"If you every try to kill my daughter I will freeze you forever," he growled in reply. Keith winced at the harsh remarks.

After the Galra had left the house, Keith and Azar, as well as a few other soldiers, stayed behind. One of those soldiers was Lotor, son of the Galra founder, Zarkon. The young man was always paired with Keith from a young age, since their parents knew each other well.

"Hey, whaddya say we go around and ask if anyone knows where the Princess ran off to? We'll do our parents proud." Lotor suggested, nudging Keith. "We can ask all the cute ones, like her, or her, or him, or her," the boy pointed out various people.

"Do whatever you want, Loser," Keith rolled his eyes. "I'm gonna go back to the ship--"

"Oh, look at that boy!" Lotor suddenly shrieked, pointing to a tall, dark skinned boy in the distance. The boy had short brown hair and what looked like blue eyes. Keith was surprised to find himself blushing.

"Oh my~! Does the cold hearted Keith have a soft spot for the water boy?"

"Shut up!"

"I'm gonna set you up!"

"No!"

"Yes!"

"No!"

"yES!" Lotor pushed Keith forward, in the general direction of the boy. He tried to turn back but the white haired 'prince' held a threatening flame in his hand. Keith rolled his eyes and sighed in defeat, awkwardly shuffling over to the water tribe boy.

"Um..."

"Huh? Oh, hey there," the boy smiled kindly. The fire bender nervously waved.

"Uh... S-so, what's your name?"

"The name's Lance," the boy winked, pointing his thumb at himself. "You?"

"K-Keith..."

"Nice to meet ya, Keith!"

"Nice t-to meet... Um, have you ever seen someone fire bend?" the dark haired teen said quickly. Red raised a brow at her owner's awkwardness.

"No, I've never really left the tribe, and other benders never come here. Why?" Lance asked, curiosity burning in his blue eyes.

"Uh, I'll show you! Fire bending, yeah."

"Seriously?!" Lance's eyes lit up like stars. "Heck yeah!"

"Heh..." Keith smiled nervously and held out his hand. The water boy watched in anticipation. Keith prepared to create a little flame in his hand, but something entirely different happened.

Instead of a flame flickering to life, some nearby snow floated up and became water above his palm. It faltered slightly, as if whoever was bending it was completely inexperienced.

"What?"

"I thought you said you were gonna show me fire bending?" Lance remarked in confusion.

"I did, too??"

To be continued...

Welp, there's the first chapter! Hope you enjoy this. I think this can be great. Feel free to comment or even give suggestions. I kinda have some plans, but if I hear something really good I'll use it :). Have a good day/night!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

181K 3.8K 19
Oneshots about Keith!! Will mostly contain angst but I might add fluff if the mood strikes me.
17.3K 541 6
While exploring an unknown planet, Keith gets bitten by a love bug, which makes him fall in love with the first person he lays eyes on. I think you c...
31.6K 746 25
You are a Lady who grew up in a big estate but you left it to help the king before he died, you and your Father stayed in the castle at Allura's requ...
61.7K 1.8K 19
Y'all this shits cringe stop reading it pls 😭 Cover by: https://twitter.com/rainlikestars Lance, Shiro, Hunk, Pidge, and Allura are the five Paladin...