Draugr

By harrypanther

Modern/Supernatural AU. Just when everything was going so well for Astrid, she is taken away from it. Refusi... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Fourteen
Epilogue

Thirteen

483 30 9
By harrypanther

Thirteen.

"No way!" Ruffnut was lying on her back on her couch in a long green tunic and leggings, a pair of ice-cold beer cans pressed against her head. "First you make me give up a fortune to a Dogs' Home and now you want me to go back to see your boyfriend-who called me a liar and a fake, by the way-to warn him that your psychopathic business partner if coming to kill him with her murderous brother who has already killed you! Did I miss anything out?"

Astroid glared at her. "Not really," she admitted. "Though you were a fake and a liar, to be honest! Not so much now..."

"Yeah, and that's really going well for me..." Ruff grumbled. "I got ghosts whinging day and night that they have messages for their dearly not-departed and they have NO concept of time. Especially night time! I mean they come in all through the night and keep waking me up and worst of all-they don't pay!"

"Hey-even I'm getting woken by her tossing and turning!" Tuff complained from the chair where, for no reason, he was lying on his back with his legs in the air, his pet chicken sitting on his stomach. "The chicken is not amused."

"Look, Heather knows I am...sort of here...and she knows that the money is gone," Astrid said sternly. "It won't take long before she finds out who pretended to be her...and then comes after you..."

Ruff sat bolt upright.

"What?" she screeched. "Get up, mutton-head! We need to leave town..."

"Or you will definitely end up beside Uncle Duffnut," Astrid smirked. And then she leaned closer to the spiritualist. "But they are coming after Hiccup first. Heather wants to kill him to force me to hand over the money..."

"The money you forced us to give to a Dogs' Home?" Ruff said accusingly. Astrid sighed.

"Possibly," she admitted. "Look-you just need to warn him so he can get out of there before they arrive!"

"I would-except he'll hang up on me!" Ruff grumped.

"Then you have to go and warn him!" Astrid told her. Ruff slumped back down onto the couch.

"What-towards the murderous psychopath?" she asked sarcastically. "Why on Midgard would I want to do that?"

"Because I love Hiccup with all my heart, because he is completely innocent in this and he doesn't deserve to have his girlfriend murdered, his dog killed protecting him, his dominant hand sliced open and then murdered by the woman who is supposedly his dead girlfriend's best friend!" she pleaded. "Ruff! What if the threat was to Tuff? Wouldn't you do everything, even defy death, to keep him safe?"

The woman glared, her fists balled.

"Low blow," she snapped.

"Hiccup is my soul-mate," Astrid declared desperately. "I was meant to spend my life with him. It was love at first sight...well, first sober sight...and I wouldn't want to live without him. But now I am dead, I want him alive and happy because I hate the idea that he is unhappy. Thor-can't you understand that?"

"When I'm old and toothless and grey, I'll still have that butt-head," Ruffnut muttered. "Never getting a boyfriend with him around..." And then she sagged. "But I would do anything to protect him!" She sighed. "If I get killed, I will hang around with you and drive you crazy for all eternity-and that is a triple Thorston promise!"

"I will protect you, Ruff-I swear that!" Astrid promised and she snorted, then levered herself to her feet, grabbing her phone. Tuff looked up, alarmed.

"Hey-you're not going without me!" he said, leaping up. "Just let me explain to the chicken. 'Coz, hey-you're a pain in the butt-but you're my pain in the butt!" There was a pause-and then Ruff punched him hard in the shoulder.

"Get us a cab!" she growled. "We haven't got any time to waste!"

oOo

The house was so quiet that Hiccup could hear every creak and groan in the woodwork as he sat on the floor in front of the sofa, Toothless's collar at his side and a picture of Astrid in his hand. He had returned home shortly after breakfast, not caring that his father had begged him to stay-because being away from home had meant he was away from all his familiar reminders of Astrid and Toothless...and because he had felt more alone and bereft than ever. His left hand had been stitched and was still bandaged, meaning the sculptor couldn't even alleviate his grief in his art.

He closed his eyes. "What have I done that was so wrong?" he murmured, his shoulders slumped. "Why did you take Astrid from me, Odin? Why did you let her die? And Toothless? Am I condemned to be alone? Because I will be now. I cannot love anyone but Astrid. I can't think of anyone but Astrid. And I know there is nothing I can do but hang on to her memory and hope the pain one day dulls. But honestly...I don't think it ever will. Not without her." And then he rose slowly, levering himself to his feet. His auburn hair was shaggy, his bruised face marked by grief with scruff along his jaw and emerald eyes dulled. Achingly, he limped through to the kitchen and aimlessly clicked the kettle on, catching his reflection in the window. He sighed: he looked a mess, with deep shadows under his dulled and desolate eyes, clothed in a scruffy tee-shirt, his favourite clay-stained jeans and a pair of beat-up trainers.

"And that happened," he sighed. "Thor, I look like a hobo." He sighed again and listlessly spooned coffee into a mug and sloshed in boiling water, cream and three sugars. "Y'know, bud, at least I'm doing the artist things and getting some serious heartache banked so when I become famous, I'll have a tragic backstory..."

And then the mug crashed down onto the surface, the coffee splattering and the mug spinning on its side as Hiccup covered his face with his hand. His ragged breaths were loud in the abrupt silence.

"Toothless," he whispered. "You should have let him get me."

The doorbell rang four times, the urgency obvious. Hiccup stared at the empty dog bed and shook his head.

"Go away," he growled. The bell rang again...and again. Pushing himself upright, he slowly walked into the hall and stared at the front door. "Who's there?"

"I gotta talk to you!" Ruffnut shouted back. "It's really urgent!" Tensing, Hiccup stared at the door and his fists clenched.

"Go away!" he shouted. "I made it clear I don't want to have anything to do with you!"

"But I have a message for you-and it's urgent!" Ruff shouted as Astrid phased through the door, starting as she saw the wrecked state of her lover. "It's from Astrid!" But though Hiccup flinched, his eyes sparkled with anger and his face hardened.

"Is this some sort of sick joke to you?" he yelled. "There isn't any way you can con me out of anything! I know all about you!"

"Oh, do you?" she shouted back. "Do you know I have your dead girlfriend coming round and insisting I keep doing things for her. And she won't take no for an answer-and she sings like a cat being put through a mincer!"

"You're a con woman and a fake!" Hiccup said, his tone suddenly defeated. "What is wrong with you? What are you doing this? Does it give you some sick gratification to torment me?"

"I'm not faking this!" Ruff shouted.

"Tell him I can see he's wearing the trainers he wore when we went on our first date-to Ulric's Viking Pizza store," Astrid said suddenly.

"Um...she said you're wearing the trainers you wore on your first date. To Ulric's Viking Pizza place. Honest? That was your first date with Miss Hotshot Finance? Thor, I'd have..."

"Shut up, Ruff, and tell him he looks like shit!" Astrid snapped.

"She says you look like shit but really I have no clue because you were a real hottie when I saw you last..." Hiccup backed away.

"I'm gonna call the police," he threatened her.

"Good!" Astrid said.

"What? I mean good," Ruff grumped. "Look, Heather and her crazed brother-who is the one who killed Astrid and is after you-are on their way! You're in danger!" Hiccup shook his head.

"I'm not buying it!" he replied, backing away. "Leave me alone!"

"I can't!" Ruff protested. "She won't let me. Loki, I would love her to leave me alone but I can't because I believe her."

Astrid stared at him: he was as stubborn as she was and he was deeply hurt, struggling with the grief at her loss and that of his dog. He truly believed Ruff was just faking.

"Ruff-just repeat what I say," she commanded. "Word for word. No embellishments, no sass, nothing..." There was a pause. "Do you understand?"

"You just wanted me to repeat what you said," Ruff grumbled.

"Oh for the love of...just do it!" Astrid yelled. Ruff folded her arms.

"There's gratitude for you," she muttered. "Tyrant."

"He's standing by that enormous sculpture that was the representation of the tension between modern and ancient Berk but which you got carried away with and covered with dragons," Astrid said. He paused and glanced over his shoulder at the enormous slab-built piece as Ruffnut repeated the words and a shiver passed through him.

"No..." he murmured.

"I can't throw pots-they always collapse-but I enjoy playing with clay and have managed to make a couple of things that my teacher has suggested aren't totally useless," she said gently.

Hiccup shook his head at the declaration, treacherous memory raking at his wretched broken heart.

"I punched him the first time I woke up in his apartment. He let Toothless eat my pancakes and bacon when I stormed out, thinking he had taken advantage of me. When I came back later, I apologised for thinking he was a callous swine and made him show me his works. He kissed me and suggested we went on a date."

The young sculptor was blinking now, his breathing ragged.

"Why are you doing this?" he whispered. He looked broken. Astrid reached for him, her eyes burning with misery at seeing his pain.

"Tell him I love him," she said roughly.

"She says she loves you!" Ruff called desperately. But he gave a small, bitter laugh, pulling his clenched fists back against his chest and curling in on himself like a wounded animal.

"Astrid never said she loved me," he told her brokenly.

"Ditto!" Astrid shouted.

"What?" Ruff's tone was exasperated. "What the Helheim is ditto? She said DITTO!"

Hiccup flinched as if shot, his head snapping up and eyes widening as he stared at the door. "Ast-Astrid...?" he mouthed in shock. "Is-is it really you?"

"Did you miss me, Babe?" she murmured. "Stormfly says hello!"

"Why does nothing you say make any sense whatsoever?" Ruffnut yelled through the door. "You know it's freezing out here and it's raining?"

"What does she say?" Hiccup asked, his voice hoarse with shock and...faintly...hope. Rolling her eyes, Ruff huddled against the door.

"She asked did you miss her, 'Babe'-and says Stormfly says hello?" she said. Hiccup's emerald gaze widened and he turned round...to see the little glazed dragon float down the stairs from the studio on the top floor. She headed steadily towards him at chest height, carried by the smiling Astrid, whose invisible gaze was locked on his shocked face. Hesitantly, he extended his hands and she landed in his palms, her hands caressing his as they passed through, leaving her last creation in his grasp.

"Astrid?" he whispered.

"Right here, Babe," she said. "Thank you for finishing her. Blue for my eyes, gold for my hair and white for my skin: she looks so beautiful!" Hiccup listened as Ruff repeated the words.

"Not as beautiful as her creator," he murmured, stroking the elegantly moulded head, then laid her reverently onto the hall table and unbolted the door, letting Ruff in and then closing the door behind her. The spiritualist stared at him and rolled her eyes.

"Damn, she was right. You do look like shit," she commented.

"Ruff-what did we say about talking?" Astrid growled.

"Hey-where's the respect, missy?" Ruff shot back. Hiccup stared at her. "She's here-over by you, by the sound of it. And she's got an attitude. I can comment if I want. He does need some looking after and I can say what I want. I am not a parrot."

"How about a chicken?" Astrid teased, still shocked at Tuff's pet.

"Ha, ha," the female twin shot back. Seeing Hiccup's confused expression, she explained: "We're just having a little conversation because Miss Dead Person there has an attitude and far too much sass!" Hiccup's lips lifted in the faintest hint of a smile.

"That's Milady," he noted, leading her through into the main Living Room, carefully tucking Stormfly on a high shelf in the hall, safe from harm. Ruff sighed as Astrid explained what had happened to her and what she had learned. Hiccup listened, absently making himself another coffee and Ruff a tea. Finally, he slumped on the couch, his eyes wide with shock.

"So Heather was behind it all?" he gasped. "I mean, I knew she was lying about getting the diary back...but for her to know who killed you...and then to send her brother after me...and now again...Thor...why?"

"He has massive gambling debts," Ruff revealed. "I withdrew the money from the account and...ahem...donated it to the Dogs' Home." She sighed and her shoulders sagged. Her phone buzzed in her pocket but she shook her head, ignoring it: she could look later. Hiccup smiled, his eyes trailing back to the empty dog bed.

"That's my Astrid," he murmured. "Building dreams. The woman I fell in love with." But at his words and the aching yearning in them, the spiritualist paused and then lifted her head.

"Okay, you can use me," she announced. Hiccup stared at her and shot to his feet

"What?"

"Astrid-you can possess my body so you can...say goodbye," she murmured. Astrid stared at her and Hiccup spun to inspect her narrowly. "Look, Mister Hottie, you're not my type. I like buff and cute, not lanky and angsty. But Astrid would not shut up about you and she never got to say goodbye." She determinedly sat down on the couch. "And I think, from spending time with her, she actually deserves it." She closed her eyes. "I'm ready."

Hesitantly-because Mildew's words rolled around her mind, Astrid slowly sat down and merged with Ruff-and then she opened her eyes. It felt different-but suddenly, she had substance and mass once more. She peered at her hands, eyes narrowing-and then she saw Hiccup, standing to one side, skittish and wary, the hurt in his emerald eyes painful to witness.

"Babe?" Ruff's voice was twisted into a good approximation of her own but the tone and inflection was all Astrid. Hiccup took a half-step closer, emerald eyes narrowing as he peered into the grey-blue eyes...and saw the love and concern that he had missed. He lurched forward.

"Astrid?" he gasped. Her hand rose gently to rest against his bruised cheek and he leaned eagerly into the tender touch, feeling the pressure exactly as Astrid had touched him. In a second, his arms were around her, his body warm and solid and close. She could feel his breath caressing her skin, his face nuzzling against her cheek. His soft auburn hair brushed across her skin and she buried her face in his neck, arms wrapping loosely around his neck. "Gods...this is a dream..."

"You have to take care, Babe," she whispered, pressing close to him. Then she glimpsed his phone on the side, jabbing in the code and opening his music, starting a playlist they had made together. The strains of the Righteous Brothers filled the room as Hiccup pulled her close, one hand splayed gently against the back of her waist to hold her close, the other rising to caress her cheek.

"I need you," he whispered, his emerald eyes luminous with love. "I felt you with me...except the last few days."

"I was with you, Babe," she murmured, as they swayed gently to the haunting tones. "I'm so sorry I had to leave you, just when you had lost Toothless-but I needed to find out what happened-because you were in danger. You still are. We have to get you out of here." He nuzzled closer.

"I'm where I want to be, where I need to be, my love," he murmured, his lips grazing her skin. "I can't be happy anywhere else."

"Live for me, Hiccup," she said softly. "Be the great artist, the caring and loving man I adore. Get your father to spend my money for others. Build those dreams, Babe, and help others have a fraction of the happiness we had."

"Gods, I love you," he murmured, their lips locking. He was desperate, wounded, bereft and it was the most intense kiss of Astrid's life-or afterlife. Her hands dug in his hair and her body moulded to his as they clung together, still swaying as the music built to a crescendo...

A massive blow on the door jolted them from each other and Astrid spun sideways away from Ruff, their connection broken, the ghost temporarily reeling from the effort. Ruff sagged to her knees.

"Damn, I should have know he'd be a world-class kisser," she groaned.

Another impact burst the door open and Astrid looked up.

"Out the back!" she decided, forcing herself to focus. "We're out of time. Run-and call the cops. But most of all-GET AWAY!" Ruff leapt up, grabbing Hiccup's arm and hauling him towards the French door in the adjacent kitchen. Heather burst into the living room and glared at the two escapees, raising a pistol. Ruff and Hiccup ducked as she fired, the bullet crashing into one of the cupboards, just by Hiccup's head. In a second, the mug smashed into her face knocking her backwards.

"Astrid," Heather growled with hatred, her eyes flicking over the room as if she could see her dead business partner. "Where's my money?"

"Pretty sure that's my money," the ghost growled. Heather made after the fleeing pair but Astrid braced herself and focused all her anger into a huge nudge against the approaching woman, slamming her back. She staggered and looked up in shock.

"But you-you're dead...a ghost!" she gaped as Astrid grabbed the gun from her hand and threw it clean through the front window.

"But I still love him," the ghost said, as Heather tried to dive past her. The doors to the yard slammed shut and she wrenched at the handles but they were locked fast. Thinking quickly, Heather threw herself at them to break through-but before she could impact, something grabbed the collar of her blouse, hauling her back. In shock, she found herself flying through the air, rolling across the counter and sprawling onto the floor. But though she was winded, she began to laugh.

"Did you think I came alone?" she whispered. Astrid spun round to stare into the yard as she heard a scream.

"Hiccup!"

A/N: Final Part on Wednesday...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.4K 281 3
Modern Valentine's Day AU. Roped in to help her friend juggle three simultaneous dates on Valentine's Day, Astrid Hofferson finds herself opposite th...
81.1K 1.6K 25
Hiccstrid Modern/Agent au Hiccup Haddock III, #1 agent in Highest Assassination Corporate also known as H.A.C.T. Astrid Hofferson, Team is ranked 4th...
393K 10.5K 42
AU. Hiccup never took the shot on that fateful night. Toothless was never shot down-and the war continued. Three years later, Berk is beset by dragon...
94.5K 3.3K 50
AU Set during RTTE Season 5. Hiccup and Astrid are now boyfriend/girlfriend but not betrothed yet...and suddenly there is a major problem. Astrid fac...