Culling

By lylaoweds

Sang is chosen for the Culling, a series of fights to the death that are generally played by men. In fact, Sa... More

Introduction
Part I • Title
Part I • Chapter I
Part I • Chapter II
Part I • Chapter III
Part I • Chapter IV
Part I • Chapter V
Part I • Chapter VI
Part I • Chapter VII
Part I • Chapter VIII
Part I • Chapter IX
Part I • Chapter X
Part I • Chapter XI
Part I • Chapter XII
Part I • Chapter XIII
Part I • Chapter XIV
Part II • Title
Part II • Chapter I
Part II • Chapter II
Part II • Chapter III
Part II • Chapter IV
Part II • Chapter V
Part II • Chapter VI
Part II • Chapter VII
Part II • Chapter VIII
Part II • Chapter IX
Part II • Chapter X
Part II • Chapter XI
Part II • Chapter XII
Part II • Chapter XIII
Part II • Chapter XIV
Part II • Chapter XV
Part II • Chapter XVI
Part II • Chapter XVII
Part II • Chapter XVIII
Part II • Chapter XIX
Part II • Chapter XX
Part III • Title
Part III • Chapter I
Part III • Chapter II
Part III • Chapter III
Part III • Chapter IV
Part III • Chapter V
Part III • Chapter VI
Part III • Chapter VII
Part III • Chapter VIII
Part III • Chapter IX
Part III • Chapter X
Part III • Chapter XI
Part III • Chapter XII
Part III • Chapter XIII
Part III • Chapter XIV
Part III • Chapter XV
Part III • Chapter XVI
Part III • Chapter XVII
Part III • Chapter XVIII
Part III • Chapter XIX
Part III • Chapter XX
Part III • Chapter XXI
Part III • Chapter XXII
Part III • Chapter XXIII
Part III • Chapter XXIV
Part III • Chapter XXV

Part I & Part II • FAQ

2.7K 219 70
By lylaoweds

First Third
Frequently Asked Questions

The Blackbourne Family:

Q: Why is Ian Blackbourne scared of miniature poodles?
A: Because he considers them to be abominations. Like iced coffee, and other random things. You'll see why later.

Q: You said that Ian killed Owen's mother. Do we ever find out how and why?
A: Yes.

Q: If Ian turned in his brother, Oliver, then how can Oliver look up to Ian?
A: Because he does. It will be discussed.

Q: Why did Ian keep Sang in a cage?
A: That's a major spoiler that I'm not going to give out.

Q: Ian said that the continuation of the Blackbourne line is dependent on him or Owen. Can't Oliver get married or have kids?
A: Not exactly.

Q: Is Oliver, Volto?
A: Not telling.

Q: What is Oliver's ability?
A: You'll see.

Q: Are all the men of the Blackbourne family, except for Owen, evil?
A: That is an interesting question.

Q: Why did Owen and Sean wait to tell someone about Sang?
A: Because they were both children, and stuck in abusive situations with their guardians. They were scared to seek out authority figures, and thought they could handle it on their own.

☜♡☞

The Gentreau Family:

Q: Is everyone in the Gentreau family part of the Academy?
A: Nope.

Q: You said that Roman and Isabelle didn't leave their home after Diana died. How could Roman still be a part of the Academy then?
A: He worked behind the scenes, from his home, and was mostly retired. He came out of retirement when Sang was found.

Q: What happened with Sang's mother?
A: You'll see.

☜♡☞

The Sorenson Family:

Q: Is it true that Maro and Mrs Sorenson disappeared? Where did they go?
A: Maro knew that the likelihood that Sang's identity being discovered was high, so he skipped town with his mom. There are reasons, reasons you'll find out later. However, if Maro doesn't want to be found, he won't be found.

Q: Are the Sorensons good or bad?
A: Hmmm. I wonder?

Q: Are Maro and Sang really the same age?
A: Yes. While they weren't born in the same month, they are the same age.

Q: Why did Sang's father never do anything about the abuse?
A: Because he was a coward.

☜♡☞

The Adair Family:

Q: Something is up with Chet. He knows information that the others doesn't, right?
A: Yup.

Q: Is Chet good or bad?
A: I guess we'll find out, won't we?

☜♡☞

Sang:

Q: Is Astral Projection really all Sang can do? It doesn't seem very exciting or useful.
A: Think outside of the box.

Q: Does Sang want to remember her past or not? She seems to be indecisive on that matter.
A: She does. Mostly, she wants to know because she wants to please everyone else whom she knows are wanting answers. But she is scared of what she'd learn, and there's an ingrained reaction of terror of whatever it is she might remember.

Q: The games are about to start, and it didn't seem like Sang had much time training or learning archery. Will she be alright?
A: I have a handy-dandy calendar marked with events and full/half training days. In between her identity being revealed and the isolation time, Sang had three days of training that she did attend. Not much, but she got the very basics down. I didn't cover that because I can't write training worth crap.

Outside of that, remember that Sang also is good with hunting, tracking, climbing trees, and hiding in the woods. She has an advantage that many other tributes do not.

Q: Why did they get married already when Sang hasn't had time to form a relationship with everyone?
A: Archaic laws and politics. Plus, the wedding itself really isn't the focus of the story. I wanted to focus on the development of her relationship with each of the boys, and do something different by not making the end goal marriage. They have an entire lifetime to learn about each other, being married doesn't change the pace of her relationship with them.

Q: Sang has spent a time of time with Owen, and some with Sean, Kota and North, in part two. Will the other boys get their chance? Silas, especially, has been left out.
A: Absolutely. It will come.

Q: Will Sang get pregnant, like the pregnancy rumor in the original Hunger Games?
A: Well, Sang is on birth control.

  ☜♡☞ 

The Toma Team:

Q: What shenanigans are the Toma team up to? Will we see all of them?
A: They are doing another part of the mission, working from the outside to support the Blackbourne team as they go into the arena. We'll see pieces of their POV in the Collection book series.

Q: Are they all undercover?
A: Brandon and Corey are not undercover, entirely. Everyone else is using alias for now.

Q: Is Khloe, Kayli? If so, why was she in district six in the beginning of Part I?
A: Yes. She needs to find Wil for something Academy related. He's avoiding her.

Q: How did the Toma team get together in this universe?
A: We will talk about that later.

    ☜♡☞   

X and PI:

Q: Why did Sang become X and not Maro? Especially since Maro knew what was going on while Sang was in the dark.
A: You'll see. Maro was supposed to take over for his father, and he knew about the correspondance with PI the entire time. Sang just happened to get the first message.

Q: How was Sang's father working with the Academy, and not having Roman know about it? Was he actually Academy at all?
A: You'll see.

Q: How do you pronounce X?
A: I imagined it to be interpreted from the Roman numeral. That is one reason why the chapters are done this way. Therefore, X is 10. So, technically, Kota has called Sang 'ten' since before they ever met her at the games.

Q: What does PI stand for?
A: The PI nickname was chosen by Kota, who was the first person to talk to Sang. He choose from the math term, but that is not what Sang thinks that it stands for.

Q: Why did Sang not use the signal during the interview she had with Owen and her uncle?
A: First, she was overwhelmed, and it wasn't a traditional interview. Second, she didn't want to have PI become involved. Sang might have been told to signal the others, but she never actually planned on doing it at all.

    ☜♡☞     

Other:

Q: Will we see Uncle, Dr Roberts or any of the other original characters?
A: Yup. They will be playing major roles later.

Q: Will Gabriel's brother make an appearance?
A: Also yes. 

Q: What is Bertha?
A: An animal.

Q: Sean knows something about the zombies, doesn't he?
A: Sean is a doctor, they know everything.

Q: Over 100 tributes a year is a lot, how can they afford to lose that many people every year?
A: More detail will be provided later, but essentially it is about population control. This is a society there the people are resistant to a lot of modern day diseases, and there is no outside warfare. Keep in mind, that many, many people die today due to both of those things.

Q: What was the public reaction to Sang and Nathan having to face 20 zombies while everyone else only had to face 2 or less? 
A: The public was later told that the overflow of zombies had been planned, and that Sang was in no real danger. Even so, it made the support for Nathan and Sang surge. A number of the Blackbourne team members had been chosen to be in the live interviews, but no one took part in them in the end.  

Q: How could Sang's family back down when Sang was put into isolation?
A: They can't get Sang out of the games, she's contractually obligated to take part. So they can't break her out of the situation. While the Gentreau resources are expansive, and they are Academy, they also cannot risk going against the Capital at the time either. They deliberately sent Raven and Kayli to Sang so she wouldn't be alone, and that was the best they could do in the situation. 

Q: Why would President Hendricks snap, when earlier you stated that he needed to work with both families in order to prevent a civil war?
A: President Hendricks has been up to more than just running the games.

Q: What happened during the live interviews since everyone was locked away? Didn't anyone on the team win the popularity polls?
A: I haven't forgotten, you'll see. :) It will come up later.

Q: Why was Kayli looking for Wil? Is he going to be in the series later?
A: Yes. Wil is an important character, later.

Feel free to comment with any further questions or ask for clarification on things that you might not understand, and I'll add it to the FAQ. Thank you all for your support on this book!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

61.3K 3.5K 38
Sang Sorenson is a girl going through heartbreak. Everything was going perfectly, but the moment she let her guard down, that was the moment she rem...
188K 10.7K 39
Tori is already cracked and broken after barely managing to escape her abusive fiancé. She's trying to heal both physically and mentally. She doesn't...
413K 24.7K 73
This story is the fanfiction version of In The Shadows written by the amazing Katydids. It is now an original, with a completed first book and the be...
30.8K 1.3K 11
~At the age of three I was required to be the perfect daughter as my mother was the butcher and I the lamb heading for the slaughter. I didn't compla...