Remember This✔

By autumnskiess

Molly has never felt safe. For four years she has lived in constant fear that the serial killer that murdered... More

Attention Wattpaders
Author's Note - Please Read!
Epigraph
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Remember This Too

Chapter Thirty

511 17 0
By autumnskiess

Charlie rolls his shoulders back carefully before smacking his fist into the heavy punching bag. He repeats the punches several times before clenching on his teeth and backing away. He rubs his shoulder and glances at the amused, prizing eyes of his friends from across the room.

"What? I have an injury," Charlie says.

"I heard you beat Roy with that injury," Perry says. "Again."

"I heard you humiliated him so bad that he didn't leave his house for two days," James says.

"Since when you do guys listen to high school gossip?" Charlie mumbles as he starts again. He takes four slow swings and then attacks the bag at full force.

"So the video footage is lying?" James says. "Michael, pass me my phone."

"You don't need to play that," Charlie says. "Guys, seriously, don't-" It's too late, Charlie bites on his lip as he hears the video play.

"How do you do that?" Perry demands. "You didn't even hit him once."

"Oh man, Roy's face is a picture!" Michael shouts.

"Wait," Perry says. "This is my favourite part."

Charlie cringes as he hears himself on the footage. "Save it for the field." He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath, swinging his leg at the bag which knocks it over a few feet. He wipes his forehead and takes a drink of water.

"The only way to deal with a bully is to beat the bully," Perry says enthusiastically.

"I wish those were the rules at my high school," Michael laughs.

"So that's why you dumped Aubrey, huh?" Perry says. "Because every girl in school now wants to date you?"

Charlie stares over at them. "How do you know I dumped Aubrey?"

"Camilla," they all say together.

"She texts me every day," Perry sighs. "Sometimes I don't even reply. How you doing?"

"Fine," Charlie says. "She had already moved on before it even happened. I found her with a guy this morning."

Charlie doesn't want to talk about it but by the looks on their faces it isn't going to be that simple. He picks up a can of beer and takes a seat. The whole day has been insane. He doesn't know much at the moment but what he does know is that Aubrey is the last thing on his mind.

"She cheated on you?" James widens his eyes and shares a look with the others.

"We were on a break," Charlie says. "It doesn't matter anymore."

"I'm trying to work out what could have possibly drove her to run into the arms of another," Perry says as he scratches his chin. "You gave that girl everything."

"Not enough," Charlie mumbles.

"Did you tell her you loved her back?" James asks. "I once got dumped by a girl because I didn't say it."

"I've never said it to anyone," Charlie says quietly.

"You've never told a girl you love her?" Perry's jaw drops. "They like to hear it you know. A lot."

Charlie grins. "I'm sure they do."

"I miss high school," Michael says. "Just wait until you're in college. It's a different ballgame. The girls are smart, they're calculating, they're mean. They don't laugh at your jokes; they just stare at you until you walk away."

"That's just a Michael thing," James says. "You'll be fine."

"I don't know if I'm going to college yet," Charlie says as he plays with his can on the table. "I'm still deciding."

"That's fair," Perry says. "Do what you want to do."

"Yeah, you know us, man. We'll support you whatever." Michael spreads his long, bony arm over the table and picks up a small container. "It's time for the good stuff."

Charlie smells the strong aroma from the herbs and he leans away. He watches as Michael assembles and rolls the joints, handing them out to an eager Perry and James. Charlie refuses when he is offered one but he takes a deep drag from Perry's. And then another a few minutes later. He is already relaxed and calm, but now the speed of time is beginning to change and his mind can't keep track of it. They order take out which arrives thirty minutes later and then they watch some football highlights.

"Shall we head out?" Perry says after a long pause of chilled silence.

"Where?" James asks.

"Downtown. Hit a few bars. You might be engaged but the rest of us are shamefully single."

"Count me out," James says. "I'm already on a curfew."

"No curfew for me, I'm up for it," Michael says.

Perry laughs and then looks at Charlie. He's deep in thought, not really listening. Perry calls his name several times before Charlie pays attention. He can't even remember what the question was but he nods.

"Great," Perry says. "Drink up."

They leave the house sometime later. Charlie puts his jacket on as the cold breeze stings against his skin. They said their goodbyes to James before he left in a cab and they headed downtown. They walk along the busy streets for a while, listening to drunken arguments and intense fights at every corner.

"You guys want to see some real fights?" Charlie asks them.

Charlie takes them to the underground boxing club. The atmosphere is electric and his friends are in awe of the new experience. Charlie stands at the back, as usual, watching as two bloody and sweaty men take swings at each other in the ring.

"Is this legal?" Michael asks him.

Charlie shrugs. "No one really cares."

"I can see that," Perry says. "This is awesome. Do you fight here?"

"Used to."

"What are the rules?"

"No weapons, fight ends with a knockout."

"Just those two?" Perry chuckles nervously.

"Yep. Some fighters play dirty. That big guy in the ring, Coleman, he bit his opponent's finger off once and wouldn't let him have it back even after the fight had ended."

"Jesus," Michael says.

Charlie twists his head as he observes Coleman's footing. "He's considered the best. His record is unbeaten."

"And you? What was your record?"

"Not as good as his."

Coleman delivers the knockout punch and his opponent drops to the floor. The crowd screams and the referee holds Coleman's hand up.

"Our unbeaten champion is still unbeaten!" a voice roars through the speakers. Charlie recognizes the voice as Carl, the owner of the building. "Is there anyone out there brave enough to step into the ring against Coleman?" Carl walks into the ring with a microphone, scanning his eyes around the crowd. "There's a fifty-dollar crash prize for just trying. Any takers?"

"We should go," Charlie says.

"Go?" Perry demands. "But we've just got here!"

"Come on."

They leave the club and Charlie takes them around the corner. They join the long queue to a nightclub and Charlie sighs in annoyance as they get stuck behind a group of high-energized girls. A pretty girl with short blonde hair smiles at him as she stomps a cigarette out with her shoe. Charlie turns his back to her.

"What is wrong with you?" Perry says. "She is checking you out. Say something."

"Like what?"

"Anything. If Aubrey can move on then so can you, turn around."

Charlie slowly turns back around, mainly to stop them from talking about it. The girl is talking to her friend, adjusting something on her dress. Charlie is very aware of how attractive she is but there's only one face that he sees whenever he closes his eyes and it's the same face that's been haunting him all week. The girl looks at him again, smiling, before turning to walk with her friends towards the door.

Perry throws his arm around Charlie's shoulder. "You need to work on your game."

When inside the club, Charlie takes a seat at the bar away from the dozens of dancing bodies and loud speakers. He orders a drink and he examines the events of the day a little more closely. He still feels Molly's kiss on his lips but he hasn't yet figured out if it was gratitude or something more. He's glad that she's staying and he cares about her as any friend would, but that kiss was incredible. It's all he can think about, even while surrounded by a room full of beautiful girls.

"You going to sit at this bar all night?" Perry taps on Charlie's shoulder as he slides next to him.

"Haven't decided yet."

"Okay, seriously, what's up?" Perry reaches over and takes one of Charlie's shots, dropping it into his mouth quickly. "You missing Aubrey or something?"

"No," Charlie laughs. "It's definitely not that."

"Then what? Something's got you beat down."

"That psych class you're taking must be amazing," Charlie mumbles.

"You want me to pick your head apart 'cause I will. I have the power." Perry studies Charlie's eyes. His thick, black eyebrows rise with concern. "If it's not Aubrey then it's someone else. A girl. Who you mooning over?"

"No one," Charlie says. "Leave it."

"Alright." Perry sighs and stands up. "Well if you want to come join the land of the living then we'll be over there."

Charlie downs another drink and closes his eyes. He doesn't understand why he gets this way. When he's with Molly he's different, he can control this frustration and senseless anger. But when he's not with her he becomes the person that he always was. The person that is withdrawn, that is selfish, that is always cautious of everyone around him. He doesn't know which version of himself is the truth and which is a lie. He doesn't know if he's changing or if he's pretending. And what he really doesn't know is if he likes it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

165K 2.8K 100
!Book one out of four! There is a part two to this book you don't have to read it but if you would like to it's called "My princess to the Black Wido...
46.2K 985 24
Meet Alexandria Frost, 17 years old, Beautiful,but hides under over-sized hoodies and long jeans and With perfect grades, She definitely earned the t...
1.4K 361 27
•𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐝 ✒ [ᴇᴅɪᴛᴇᴅ] "𝘠𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘦𝘹𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘯𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸𝘯 𝘰𝘳 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘣𝘦 𝘧𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘥." ʟᴏɢʟɪɴᴇ: "Chloe, a myster...
Altered By Luella M Opal

General Fiction

136 30 30
Have you ever met someone who alters the course of your life? For good or for bad, they've come in, given and taken, and then- BOOM! Your life was...