Remember This✔

autumnskiess által

Molly has never felt safe. For four years she has lived in constant fear that the serial killer that murdered... Több

Attention Wattpaders
Author's Note - Please Read!
Epigraph
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Remember This Too

Chapter Thirty-One

547 15 3
autumnskiess által

Pam and Daniel decide to tell the kids at dinner about Molly's adoption. Pam is the one that delivers the news while remaining sensitive toward Lily and Henley's feelings. Lily doesn't seem to care; she just sticks a thumb up at Molly and then puts her headphones back on. Henley squeals with excitement and then asks them what adoption means. Daisy responds by jumping across the table to sit in Molly's lap. Molly was doing good with holding in her tears but Daisy is a professional at making them come out.

"You're staying forever?" Daisy says into her ear.

"Not forever but for a long time," Molly says back.

At the request from her mother, Daisy reluctantly retreats back to the other side of the table. Molly turns her attention to Henley who is chewing his peas slowly and sadly. Pam is looking at him too and Molly swears she sees a tear running down her cheek but it's so quick that it's gone in a moment.

"Henley, do you want to play with the animal farm after dinner?" Daisy asks him.

"Okay, Daisy," Henley says quietly.

"Did you speak to Doctor Ranch?" Pam asks Molly.

Molly nods. "Yeah, he was really happy. I thought he was going to start crying. He's coming to see me on Monday."

"I'm confused," Daniel says, looking between Pam and Molly. "He's coming to see you for a therapy session?"

Molly nods, ducking her head down.

"Who's paying for that? Technically, you're still registered with Helen."

"I've cancelled my therapy with Helen," Molly says. "Doctor Ranch is helping me without pay."

"Do you think that's wise?" Daniel says. "You need consistency."

"He's the most consistent person on the planet," Molly says. "He won't let me down."

"If Molly wants to continue seeing Doctor Ranch then we'll make it work," Pam says. "Whatever it takes to get her better right?"

"Right," Daniel agrees, though Molly can tell the conversation isn't closed.

Her phone vibrates in her pocket and she glances down to read the message from Lauren. It's the fifth message she's sent today.

You really gonna let me go dancing on my own? I know you want to, there's nothing to be afraid of, it's just fun! Pick you up at 9?

Molly sighs and puts her phone back in her pocket. She wants to go out desperately, to experience a normal life desperately, but there's always one thing holding her back. She wishes she could be that confident twelve-year-old girl again, the girl who never said no to anything, the girl that embraced life and everything it could give. Despite it being a lifetime ago she still remembers how it felt, she remembers how sure it made her about herself and the world.

"Have you spoken to him?" Pam asks Molly suddenly. She is grinning wryly. "You know, since earlier?"

"No," Molly says. "I think I blew it."

"You can not blow anything by kissing someone. Trust me."

"You kissed someone?" Daisy shouts. "Who?"

"It was just a moment thing," Molly says, dismissing her own feelings completely. "I was just. . . really grateful."

Pam laughs, nudging Daniel's shoulder. "A moment thing. You like him don't you?"

Molly's cheeks flush with embarrassment and she ducks her head back down. "I'm not answering that."

"Text him," Pam says. "Tell him he's a really good kisser and you want to do it again."

"I am not writing that."

"Yeah don't write that." Daniel glares at Pam, who shrugs in response. "Play it cool. Just say hello and ask him what he's doing."

"What he's doing?" Pam snares. "That's the most boring thing that you can ask someone, even my mother wouldn't reply to that. You've got to send a message, Molly not just a message but a message. Make it stand out, make yourself memorable."

"I'm not writing him a message at all!" Molly laughs awkwardly and throws her face at her hands. "Can you drop this, please?"

"Fine," Daniel mutters.

"Fine," Pam says. "You know you give a girl some adoption papers and suddenly she grows an attitude."

Molly laughs.

"Did you hear that, Daniel? What was that mysterious sound?"

"Sounded like laughter to me," Daniel says.

"Do you think it sounded like laughter, Henley?" Pam says as she leans over to Henley's seat and tickles his sides.

"Yes!" Henley squeals as he giggles. "Stop!"

"Never!"

"Shush," Lily suddenly shouts, as she stares right over Molly's head. "Everyone quiet!"

Pam leans back into her own seat and stares over Molly's head too, covering her mouth with her hands. Daniel's hand reaches for the remote and Molly turns around to glimpse the television screen. As the volume increases Molly just stares at the words at the bottom, she stares at them so hard that she becomes dizzy.

"We'd like to thank the public for their help and cooperation with tracing the van," a woman says as she stands in front of a microphone. "We currently have one individual in custody who is being questioned by my colleagues in relation to the San Francisco murders and the Salt Lake City murders. We are confident that we have the right individual in custody and I will keep you updated with any further developments. Thank you."

Molly walks towards the television screen aimlessly. Focusing on those words.

'Family Annihilator in custody.' 'Serial killer branded "the travelling annihilator" arrested in Nevada.'

The magnificently heavy weight that was pushing down on Molly's shoulders for the last four years is suddenly gone, causing a wave of relief to unburden her of everything that's crushed her. She imagines running into her parents' arms in this exact moment and telling them that it finally happened, that he will hurt no more families ever again. That they have finally been given justice. She can't quite reach their arms so she settles for Pam and Daniel's, it's not the same, but she closes her eyes and she pictures it differently.

"It's over," Pam says. "He can't hurt you anymore."

Just as Molly sheds her first tear, the phone rings. Molly distances herself and tells them it's okay before walking through into the lounge. She picks up the phone slowly.

"Hello," Molly whispers.

"Hello. Who is this?"

"It's Molly."

"Hi, Molly my name is Bethany Riddle, do you remember me?"

"Yes," Molly says. "The agent."

"Yes. I'm calling because you might have already seen on the news that we've got someone in custody in relation to the current murders. I promised you a long time ago that if we ever found your family's killer then you'd be the first person that I'd tell. Do you remember that?"

Molly covers her mouth for a moment. "Mhm."

"You can't tell anyone what I'm going to share with you, okay? Only your foster parents but no one else."

"Okay."

"His name is Jacob Bennet." Molly blinks to herself, she finally has a name to put to the image in her mind, as though a name would make him realer. "He's confessed to killing the family in San Francisco, Salt Lake City, and your family, Molly. He confessed. We've got him."

Molly doesn't know how to respond. It's all happening so quickly. She wipes her cheeks and she takes a deep breath. "Are you sure?"

"We're sure. We have his face on CCTV on your street the night before the murders. There's also lots of other connections and evidence that points to him, plus his confession. He's currently being held in California but Florida want him too, they're pushing for the death penalty."

"H-how likely is that?"

"Very likely, even if he pleads guilty at the trial. He'll never see the light of day again. It's over, Molly you're safe and I hope this brings you closure."

"It does. Thank you."

"I'll keep you updated personally of any developments. Take care."

"You, too. Bye."

Molly hangs up the phone and turns to see Pam and Daniel staring at her from the doorway. Pam is biting on her nail and Daniel's eyes are widening more with every passing second.

"That was an agent," Molly says. "He confessed. To everything. It's over."

"How do you feel?" Pam asks her.

"Like a huge weight has been lifted," Molly says. "I feel lighter and. . . free." Molly takes out her phone and juggles it between her hands for a moment. "I'm going to ask you guys something and it's going to sound completely crazy and I understand if you think I'm crazy for asking it but if I don't do it now then I don't think I ever will."

"Okay. You're scaring me." Pam holds a hand to her chest and then steps out of the doorway. "What is it?"

"Would you mind if I stayed over at a friend's house tonight?"

Pam lets out a gasp of relief, followed by a mutter of confusion. "What friend?"

"And why suddenly tonight?" Daniel asks. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yeah, god, this isn't. . ." Molly laughs it off. "I'm okay. I promise. I'm better than okay. Her name is Lauren and she's a little older with her own apartment. She's been a good support to me this past week and she asked me to hang out with her tonight but I said no because. . . because I didn't feel safe."

"And now you do? Feel safe?" Pam asks.

Molly nods. "The safest I've felt in four years."

Pam sighs, exchanging a look with Daniel. "Well, we want to meet her first."

"Sure," Molly says. "She's picking me up in an hour. You can meet her then."

"Alright," Daniel says. "I suppose we can live without you for one night."

"But I want text updates every hour until you go to sleep," Pam says. "And when you wake up."

"Seriously?" Molly mutters. "Okay, deal. Thank you!" Molly turns towards the staircase. "And thanks for dinner!"

Molly quickly texts Lauren to let her know that she's coming and that the plan is on before leaving her phone in her room while she takes a shower. She blow-dries her hair and brushes through her thick curls before dressing in a plain white shirt with blue jeans. She stands at her dresser for several minutes. She knows nothing will just magically appear but she stares at it anyway, hoping for a miracle. She doesn't own anything like a nightclub dress, the closest she has is an orange summer dress with crossed straps. That being her only option, she places it into her bag along with some white boots. She buries her make up bag underneath and then piles pyjamas and fresh clothes on top. Molly wraps a grey, woolly cardigan around her and picks up her bag, double checking the room to make sure she hasn't forgotten anything. She enters Daisy and Henley's rooms to kiss them goodnight and had to decline reading Daisy a story.

At exactly nine, the doorbell rings. Molly is halfway down the staircase and Pam is already at the door. Molly hears them greet each other and she smiles as Lauren walks through the doorway.

"We just want to ask you some questions before you go," Pam is telling her as she leads Lauren into the left lounge.

"Sure," Lauren says. "Ask me anything."

She's dressed casual too. In fact, Molly wonders if Lauren has even gotten changed out of her pajamas at all today.

"Where do you live?" Pam asks her.

"In an apartment at the edge of the city. It's only twenty minutes from here."

"How old are you?" Daniel asks her.

"Twenty-three."

Pam turns and stares at Molly. "How did you two meet again?"

Molly is tongue-tied, but thankfully Lauren answers for her. "I host the under sixteens support groups at the hospital. Molly and I met in her unit; we became good friends."

"Hm," Pam mumbles.

"Did she pass?" Molly says. "Can we go now?"

"Yeah, you can go," Pam says. "Just be careful. Make good choices."

"I will," Molly laughs. "See you tomorrow."

"Nice to meet you," Lauren says.

Molly smiles as the outside air hits her. It's not toxic anymore, not tainted with paranoia, it's pure oxygen. It's all different now.

"That was a little too easy," Lauren says as she starts the car. Molly observes it, it's small and blue, and the seats smell newly cleaned. She doesn't know much about cars, but she'd like to own something like this. "Congratulations on the adoption."

"Thanks," Molly says. "I can't believe they're letting me do this."

"You're nearly eighteen, you're going to be doing this anyway," Lauren chuckles. "Everyone lies to their parents or guardians in your case."

Molly buckles her belt and Lauren pulls out onto the road. This is the first step of being pushed out of her comfort zone, of being free, and so far she's enjoying it.

Lauren turns to her when they stop at a red light. "What are you wearing?"

Molly opens her bag and pulls out the orange summer dress. Lauren bites on her lip and widens her eyes.

"Is that a...?"

"I don't have anything else," Molly says.

"You are lucky that I do." Lauren accelerates and Molly grins. "Doctor Ranch is amazing, isn't he? One day after release and you're doing this."

"Yeah," Molly agrees. "I still have to be careful of triggers."

"There's no families where we're going. But remember, if it gets too much just tell me and we'll leave."

They stop outside of an apartment building and Lauren leads her through the entrance and up four flights of stairs. The hallways are quiet and Lauren's apartment is at the very end. She unlocks the door and turns a light on.

"It's not much but it beats being homeless," Lauren mutters as she disappears through a doorway at the back. "Make yourself at home."

The apartment is open plan and small, but her lounge is impressive. The couch is light grey with a fluffy, pink throw positioned over a dark pink carpet. There are flower pots all along the window sills, the flowers are all different, some small, some brightly coloured, others are long and are bursting out. Molly sits down on the couch as Lauren makes noise in what she assumes is her bedroom. The television is huge, twice as big as the one back at home, and Molly wonders what it would be like to own one of those too. To own so many things that are hers and no one else's. There is a small dining table against the wall, just big enough to seat two people but it looks like it's hardly used. The kitchen is to the left, with a breakfast table and a stool, along with a silver fridge that is covered with photographs.

"Okay," Lauren says as she enters the room carrying an armful of dresses. "Take your pick."

Molly stands up as Lauren places the dresses over the couch, straightening them out with her hand. They are all lovely, but Molly instantly reaches out to the dark red one with thin straps.

"That'll look good on you," Lauren says as she passes her it. "And I have a perfect set of heels to match it."

"Heels?" Molly swallows. "Those stick things?"

Lauren chuckles as she takes the other dresses back. "Follow me."

Molly takes her bag into Lauren's bedroom. The room is small, but it's nice. It's comfortable. It smells of all different kinds of perfume. Molly stares at Lauren's desk against the wall that is covered in so many bottles and brushes and make up containers that it amazes her.

"Not that you need make up," Lauren says resentfully, followed by a grin. "But I can do it for you. I'm a hair and beauty consultant."

"Really?" Molly says. "You work at a salon?"

"Yeah, been working there for a year now. It's nice, I get to listen to other people's problems instead of focusing on my own. Come and sit in my chair."

Molly moves over to the desk and she sits on the tiny stool, narrowing her eyes at all of the bottles before Lauren stands behind her and lifts her hair up.

"Your natural curls are beautiful," Lauren says. "I don't think we need to do much with your hair. I love the honey tones. What if I pulled the top back with a hairclip? Like this." Lauren gently grabs the strands at the side of Molly's face and tucks them back over her ears. Molly gasps. "See how just doing one thing makes such a big difference? It makes your eyes brighter."

"I like that," Molly says.

Lauren brushes the hair back from Molly's forehead and it lands into her palm. Molly hears a click and Lauren holds a smaller mirror up to the big mirror, showing Molly the back of her head. Her hair is being held together by a white butterfly clip that stings her scalp. Molly smiles, approving of it. Lauren then moves onto her face and Molly feels uncomfortable that she's observing every inch of her eyes so carefully. Molly turns to face her and Lauren kneels on the ground, telling her to close her eyes.

"I usually charge twenty dollars for what I'm about to do to you," Lauren says. "Stay really still."

Molly feels something cold sweep against her cheeks which is blended by a thin brush that Lauren covers her entire face with. She tells Molly to open her eyes and then Lauren holds something strange in her hand. A type of contraption that looks scary.

"It's just an eyelash curler," Lauren laughs. "It doesn't hurt."

Molly nods. Lauren holds the curler over her eyelashes for a few seconds each and then swipes upwards with the mascara. She moves onto eyeshadow next and then liquid concealer and she uses so many different products on Molly's face that Molly is starting to grow anxious. Lauren's dark hair is tied back into a bun so Molly can see her eyes clearly. They are a bright blue, full of life and kindness. The ordeal ends with something sticky on Molly's lips.

"I'm done," Lauren says. "Have a look."

Molly turns her head towards the mirror, not expecting to see much, or expecting to see too much. But she's stunned. The make up on her face is subtle and warm, not overpowering or cramped. The eyeshadow is a sparkling silver, and they make her muddy, brown eyes seem livelier. Her face is a little paler but it looks shiny somehow and softer. It's the same face but it's not. She had no idea she could look this way.

"You like it?"

"I love it," Molly says. "Thank you."

"No problem. You can use the bathroom to get changed. I don't take as long doing my own make up so I'll be ready soon."

Molly takes one last look at herself in the mirror before standing up and taking the dress and heels to the bathroom. Once she's changed and her outfit is complete she wanders around the lounge in a daze. The heels are uncomfortable and are making her feet ache but she tries her best to walk them in.

Lauren emerges sometime later and Molly is in awe of her. Her hair is straight and clipped back to the top of her head. Her dress is silver and shorter, revealing her long, slim legs that are so oily they reflect the light. Her eyes are dark, she's opted for black eyeshadow with intense eyeliner.

"I've booked a cab, it'll be here in twenty minutes," she says. "Until then, do you want a drink?"

Molly eyes her suspiciously. "What kind of drink?"

"Any kind." Lauren opens her fridge and takes out a bottle of beer, then puts it back, and brings out a bigger bottle. "Glass of wine? It'll take effect quickly but it won't be overpowering."

"I've never drank before," Molly mumbles.

"I know. You're probably going to be in for a cheap night." Lauren pours the wine into two small glasses and brings them over to the coffee table. Molly stares at it as though it's a deadly weapon. "Just take a small sip, it won't hurt you."

Molly picks up the glass and brings it to her lips. It smells sour and disgusting. She takes a small sip, swallowing it uneasily. Strangely, the taste isn't that bad. She takes another small sip, and then a bigger small sip. After two minutes, she has finished the entire glass and Lauren's mouth is open.

"Woah," Molly mutters as she puts a hand to her head. "I feel a little. . ."

"Wine will do that to you," Lauren says. "Like I said, it takes effect quickly. Just go easy for the rest of the night, okay? Don't finish your drinks in two minutes."

"Can I have another?"

"As long as you drink it slowly."

Molly nods. Lauren brings her over another glass, only half full, but Molly is already feeling different from the first. She drinks this one slowly over the course of twenty minutes and she listens to Lauren ramble about the health care system again until her phone vibrates on the table.

"Cab's here."

Molly had forgotten they were taking a cab; she had forgotten they were even going out. She takes her small, strapped bag with her as she waits beside the door. She texts Pam to let her know that she's still okay and then suddenly, as though Molly had transported, they are outside getting into the cab.

"Time is strange," Molly comments.

Her head is spinning but not in a dizzy way. She's still aware of everything around her but it's all slower and jumbled. Molly feels like they were in the cab merely seconds before exiting. They are now walking through the streets of downtown, the place that Molly has avoided ever since she came to the city. This part of the city is noisy, crowded and dangerous. Molly and Lauren are whistled at no matter what corner they turn. One man went as far as to try and approach them and Lauren pulled on Molly's wrist to drag her faster towards the club at the end of the street.

"Why are people like that?" Molly says as they wait in line.

"Because they think we dress up for them," Lauren says through clenched teeth. "They think they have power over us if we're exposed. Perverts."

Molly isn't really listening; she can hear the music from the club and her feet are tapping. The heels are no longer hurting her, it's as though the wine has masked it. She needs more. She is craving more. The bouncer at the door lets them walk straight through, and Lauren fist pumps him as though they're long-lost friends.

The club is unlike anything Molly has ever seen before. If she wasn't under the influence of alcohol already then she'd probably be running to hide in a corner but she takes inspiration from the energy. Lauren leads her to the bar and orders them both drinks.

"Do you want. . . money?" Molly says as she sways behind her.

"No," Lauren says. "It's on me."

Molly stares at the blue liquid in the glass that is filled with ice and topped with a lemon. The bartender places a straw into it and Molly walks away drinking. Lauren catches up to her and takes her to a table. The more Molly drinks the less she feels like herself. It's as though she's becoming someone completely new, someone that she has kept hidden for a long time. They sit at the table watching people dance, watching guys almost approach them but turn around at the last second. Lauren disappears for a while and then comes back with more drinks, after several more Molly has the urge to dance. Her anxiety is gone, her fears are gone, she is confident and strong, just like Alan taught her to be. She dances with Lauren, following the beat of everyone around her. They are all so happy and energized and. . . alive.

Molly tells Lauren she'll be right back and she heads to the bar. The queue is long and she sits down on a seat when she starts to feel dizzy. Suddenly, a large shadow appears next to her.

"Hey," a voice says. "I bought you a drink."

All Molly knows is that the voice is male. She tries to look at him but her vision is slightly blurred.

"No thank you," she mumbles.

"It's rather rude to refuse a drink here," he tells her. "Just have one drink with me."

"Fine," Molly says, stretching her hand towards the glass. In the next instant the drink is yanked out of her hand.

"What the hell, dude!"

"I suggest you leave," a deep voice threatens.

"Since when was it illegal to buy a girl a drink?"

"If the drink is so good then you drink it."

Molly focuses her eyes on the commotion next to her. The second guy has the first guy's head in his hand and is pouring the drink down his throat. She concentrates on the familiar face, her eyes widening as she realizes who it is.

"I think you better go throw that back up," Charlie says.

"You're gonna pay for that," the guy says before jumping down and running through the club.

Charlie takes a seat next to her but Molly's head is in her hands and she's taking deep breaths.

"You okay?" Charlie asks her. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm with a friend," Molly says as she pinches her eyes closed. "She's on the dancefloor somewhere."

"Didn't she warn you not to accept drinks from strangers?" he says. "That drink was laced with drugs."

"Really?" she says. "There are so many rules."

Charlie laughs just as the bartender asks them what they want. "Just a glass of water," Charlie tells her.

Molly finally removes her hands and looks at him. She forms a smile through the dizziness and he smiles back.

"I didn't think this would be your thing," Charlie says. "How did you get in here?"

Molly shrugs. "I don't even know where I am."

"You're in a club," Charlie says. "Downtown?"

"Oh. I remember that part. I think. Hey! Why didn't you text me?"

"Did you want me to text you?"

"I kissed you," Molly says breathlessly. "Yes, I wanted you to text me."

"My bad. Here. Drink this." Charlie slides the glass of water over to her and she tips it down her throat.

When she finishes the entire glass her eyes start to droop and she rests her head onto the counter.

"You can't sleep here," Charlie says. "Come with me, you need some air."

Molly fights him for a moment but she eventually gives in and she allows him to hold her waist as they walk towards the door. Outside, she slides down to the ground with her back against the wall as the entire world spins around her. Charlie sits beside her, his attention on other people around them. Molly closes her eyes and rolls her head onto his shoulder, singing a soft tune in her head until she falls asleep.

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

137 30 30
Have you ever met someone who alters the course of your life? For good or for bad, they've come in, given and taken, and then- BOOM! Your life was...
3.8M 73.7K 89
*THIS BOOK NEEDS TO BE HEAVILY EDITED* TW: kidnapping, manipulation, toxic/abusive relationship, violence, death, grief, self-harm, suicidal thoughts...
67 4 48
Katie never imagined something like this could happen to her. She always thought she would live peacefully with her millionaire Dad and twin brother...
105K 1.7K 54
"I try so hard to be just friends but you sure don't make it easy." He averts his gaze from mine, and I wish he'd just look me in the face. "I don't...