What's Next?

By gilmoreforever4

After those last 4 words, I DEMAND more. Here is my take on it. Warning: there will be SPOILERS. More

Where You Lead
I Will Follow
Anywhere
That You Tell Me To
Those Lost Years
The Hospital
The Morning After
The Phone Call
5 Months
Are You Sure?
Shopping!
The First Weeks
London Bridge is Falling Down...with her life
Never Let it Happen
The Big Day
Sorry!
Married Life
Out of Town
Don't Leave
Meet, Rebecca...
Love is Patient
Lord of the Pies
What Dreams May Come
War and Peace
10 Minutes
I'm So Sorry...
Road to Recovery
Raising Our Little Girl
A Modest Proposal
Unexpected Expectations
The Waiting Game
Stormy Chances
Check-Up
Baby Shower
First Kicks
Catch-22
We Did It
Married With Children
You Say It's Your Birthday
Vacation! Part 1
Vacation! Part 2
Vacation! Part 3
It's a Stressful Life
Dog Days
New Stages
Rick and Victor
Sweet Emotion
Trick or Treat!
Happy Anniversary
The Holiday Season
Trouble in Paradise
I Dream of Preschool
Lorelai Encounters of the Third Kind
I'll Have What She's Having
Embrace the Unpredictable
It's a Double Birthday
Finally Summer
Troubled Water
Thinking of You
Rough Patches
Closer to Free
A Tale of Two Tantrums
Birthday Blues
The Glass Menagerie
Moving On
The Golden State
Painted Ladies
I'm a Real Jack Kerouac
On the Road
Sleepless in Seattle
Not What I Expected

Just Breathe

427 18 5
By gilmoreforever4

Rory felt her heart skip a beat. "What...why...Logan?"

"Oh, Rory. I don't know! Haeven was playing on the swings and then she just fell over. I immediately picked her up and tried to get her to wake up but she was unconscious. I called 911 and rushed her to the nearest hospital. Oh my gosh, Rory I'm so sorry I don't know what to do. They're running tests."

Rory was too shocked to let out any more tears so she just sped over to the hospital and called Jess to meet her.

When she got there, she found Logan pacing outside the ER. "Rory! I am so sorry." He said again. "I know you and Jess probably don't trust me 100% after everything we've been through but I really do care about that little girl in there."

Rory squeezed her eyes shut and choked back a sob; Logan put his arms around her. She regained a little composure and readjusted her posture.

Rory looked through the window to see her small child hooked up to wires and her tiny eyes were closed. Her heart wad beating faster than it ever had before and when she turned around she saw Jess there with the babies. She stared at him, eyes filling up with moisture and just felt herself breaking. After what felt like hours, Rory couldn't breathe. He throat was closed. Everything in her body hurt, and she found herself falling to the ground. But Jess was there to catch her, no matter what he had said in the past or what words possessed his mouth he would never leave her to break down alone. He just stood there, letting her get out all of the emotions and he was strong for her.

"I'm sorry, Jess." She said once her emotions were a little more in tact. "This wouldn't have happened if I was smarter."

"Shh, Rory. It's not your fault. I was so wrong, I shouldn't have been so mean."

"Excuse me?" A doctor with light pink scrubs came into view. "Can the parents of Haeven Mariano follow me?"

"I'll watch the babies if you want." Logan offered.

"Thank you." Jess said.

"Just take a seat there." The doctor pointed to two grey, hospital chairs that sat dimly in front of them. "We have some good news, but we also have some not-so-good news."

Jess grabbed Rory's hand as he saw her about to begin crying again. That was one of the many things Jess was really great at: being brave for her and making sure she was secure.

"The good news is that there's nothing potentially life threatening going on, you're daughter's going to be okay. But for a couple of months she might experience fainting spells. We think it could be Vasovagal Syncope."

Rory clenched Jess's hand tighter. "Is she going to be okay? Can't you tell me more?"

"We don't really know what it could be other than VS. We're hoping it's not a heart problem, as of right now we highly doubt that it's that."

"You're supposed to be a doctor," Rory exclaimed, her temper rising as her mind raced with unanswered questions. "Why can't you tell me anything more? Why?"

"Mrs. Mariano, please..."

"Please my ass, I want to know what the hell is wrong with my daughter!" Rory stood up. "I'm gonna go see her."

"Mrs., we suggest you just let her rest." The doctor protested.

"I'm going to do what I want, it's my child. And I sure as hell know her more than you do."

*****

"Oh, sweetie." Rory grabbed the hand of her daughter who was sleeping soundly.

Jess continued to rub in circular motions on her upper back.

"What happened to my baby?" She slowly weeped beside the bed and just kept holding Haeven's hand.

After a couple of minutes Haeven stirred and looked over to Rory. "Mommy!" She said, not at all as energetic as her usual self. She began crying as she realized she was in a different and unfamiliar place. "Daddy!" Haeven reached out to Jess then back at Rory, not knowing who to cry for.

"Shh, honey it's okay." Jess comforted. "The doctors are going to take care of you."

"I'm scared." She sat up, to go over into her dad's arms.

"Oh baby, I know. I'm sorry. But you need to lie down so you can get better really fast."

"How are we doing?" A nurse came in, holding a needle and a stuffed puppy.

"Pretty good, she's just nervous." Rory said, noticing her daughter's eyes as she saw the needle.

"I need to take some blood, to see her levels and make sure there's nothing wrong with the hemoglobin or thyroid." She handed the puppy to Haeven who had already began anxiously crying.

"No!" She screamed as she saw the needle. "No, momma!"

"Haeven, she has to do this. It's just going to be a small prick, okay?"

"Yes." The nurse added. "It's barely going to hurt. Just lay really still and look at mommy."

Rory went to the opposite side of the bed and held Haeven's gaze. "Squeeze my hand, and squeeze daddy's, okay?"

"Kay." The small toddler was staring straight into Rory's eyes, finding complete comfort and reassurance that she wouldn't let go of her hand.

"One, two, three..." The nurse stuck the needle in and Haeven let out a small cry but remained focused on her parents.

Rory picked up the puppy. "Hi, Haeven. What a big girl you are!"

Haeven laughed, tears still glistening in her eyes.

"All done!" The nurse said and handed her a smiley face sticker. "You're one of my best patients!"

"Did I do good?" She asked, genuinely hoping to please her parents.

"You did wonderful! Such a brave girl you are." Jess congratulated.

"I'm not even that brave." Rory joked.

Haeven laughed and poked at the hello kitty bandaid that was now covering the small puncture.

"Don't poke at it or it won't get better."

"Okay."

"Someone misses you." Logan came in, holding the twins. "Two someones miss you."

"Hi there my little babies." Rory grabbed Rosalyn and Jess got Adley.

*****

After a couple of hours, they got the test results back on Haeven's condition.

"Can you two come here." The doctor said as he entered the room. "Results."

Rory and Jess followed him into another room and Logan stayed in the room Haeven.

"We have wonderful news. Haeven has absolutely nothing wrong with her."

At that moment, Rory felt a giant weight lifted up off of her chest.

"We're guessing she got overheated and wasn't drinking enough water. She can go home."

Jess thanked the doctor and they went to check out Haeven.

"Thank you Logan for taking care of Haeven and taking her directly to the hospital." Rory said as she went and hugged him.

Jess extended a hand. "Yeah. Thanks, man."

"It's no problem. But I'm really sorry that this happened, I offered her water and even a little snack but she didn't want either." Logan said.

"It's not your fault, she seems to ignore things like that sometimes." Rory picked up her daughter who was growing tired. She reached into her bag and got out a $20. "It's the least I can do..."

"No, Rory. It's fine. It was honestly fun to hang out with her, she's the sweetest. Bye, guys. Take care. Bye Haeven, bye Rosalyn and Adley." Logan waved and headed off.

"Bye bye." Haeven waved her little hand.

*****

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

400K 6.1K 72
A story that starts immediately after those fateful four words. How will things pan out for Rory and Logan? Will he be involved in his child's life...
3.3K 183 15
What Rory's life could've looked like after college if things had gone a little differently.
161K 3.7K 62
This story begins after the last scene of Bon Voyage, the last episode of the original series. In the time between the end of the series and the revi...
217K 3.6K 40
If you've not seen A Year in the Life yet then this will contain spoilers! Following on from the final 4 words - story is centred around Rory/Logan...