Brothers - Lennon/McCartney

Av HelloLittleReader

After being left by his parents at a young age and forced upon his aunt Mimi, John finds it difficult to conc... Mer

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven

Chapter Nine

152 5 5
Av HelloLittleReader

***

Alan hesitated before speaking, 'Hamburg.'

All five of The Beatles' mouths dropped. John blinked awkwardly and in disbelief before opening his mouth. 'Hamburg?' He choked.

'Hamburg, Germany.' Alan nodded.

'Why Hamburg?' John asked, noticing that the other four were incapable of speaking on behalf of the band.

'Bands from Liverpool are quite big over there, I've already given them the names of a few but they seem keen on you.' Alan said. 'I'll let you think about it over a few pints.' He stood up. 'But they want an answer tomorrow or they're going to look elsewhere.' He walked up the stairs.

'Hamburg.' John repeated in disbelief. He clicked his fingers and woke each of the others from their trances. 'What do you think?'

'I can't go to Hamburg.' Paul shook his head. 'My dad wouldn't allow it.'

'No, my parents neither.' George shrugged.

'Mimi wouldn't be too impressed either.' John twiddled his thumbs.

Stuart put his pint down and stood up. 'It's a great opportunity though. I mean - Hamburg!'

Pete blinked. 'Where is Hamburg?'

'Germany.' Paul laughed. 'He did say that.'

'I wasn't really paying attention.' Pete shrugged his shoulders, making John roll his eyes.

'He needs to know within the next few hours.' He said. 'I need to ring Mimi.' He stood and walked up the stairs to the closest phone.

George pulled Paul to the corner. 'Are you going to ask your dad?'

'I might as well try.' Paul sighed. 'You?'

'I don't know.' George said, putting his hand on his shoulder. 'I don't want to go to Germany.'

'It would be a good idea.' Paul shrugged. 'But if you're uncomfortable with the idea then we don't have to.'

'It's not that.' George said. 'I just don't want to leave my parents.'

'It's not forever, Geo.' Paul smiled.

John walked back into the room. 'Basically she said no.' He sighed. 'But essentially that's a yes.' He laughed, making Stuart snigger.

Paul went next, ringing his dad. 'Hello Dad.'

'Paul?' Jim said on the other side of the line.

'I don't have long but I need to ask quite a big question,' he itched his head awkwardly. 'Our manager got us a gig but it's for 3 months-'

'That's great news, son!' Jim exclaimed.

'No Dad - it's for 3 months in Hamburg.'

'Oh.' Jim swallowed hard. 'If that's what you have to do to follow your dream, go for it.' He smiled through the phone, making Paul's ear feel refreshed. 'It's your choice.'

'Thanks Dad.' Paul tried to sound as appreciative as possible over the phone. 'I'll see you later.'

'Bye son.'

'Bye Dad.' Paul put the phone down and handed it to George. 'I'll stay here with you if you want.' George nodded.

George's parents said no at first but George had passed the phone to Paul for him to explain the situation.

'It's a 3 month lease with a bar in Hamburg.' He explained. 'We get accommodation included and it's a great opportunity for the band.' Paul had put his hand on George's shoulder for support. 'I'll take care of him.' He smiled. 'Yep, next week.' George swallowed. 'Thank you Mrs Harrison.' He put the phone down. 'Guess who's going to Hamburg?'

George jumped on Paul after that, celebrating with a boyish hug.

***

'And you'll be back in 3 months?' Cynthia stroked John's face. He nodded. 'I'm going to miss you.' She said.

'I'll miss you too.'

'Who's going to look after you?' She laughed through teary eyes.

'I will, Cyn.' Stuart winked.

'Ha!' Paul nudged Stuart to the right. 'He's in safe hands.'

'Yours then?' Cynthia kissed Paul on the cheek. 'Thank you.' She whispered. Beside her stood Dot, who was smiling proudly at her boyfriend.

'I'll take good care of him.' He smirked, picking his suitcase and guitar up.

'Write to me.' Dot kissed his cheek.

'I will.' He smiled. Paul had said goodbye to his family back at home before walking to meet John at Mimi's. Mimi was very dismissive of the idea at first but after John promised to write to her every week, she warmed a bit to the plans.

'I love you so much.' Cynthia pulled John into a tight hug. He didn't think she'd ever let go until she finally did. 'Please come home safe.'

'I will.' John placed a kiss on her lips before also picking his things up and making his way onto the deck.

***

The room was dingy and out the back of a small cinema. It had two bunk beds and a single bed with dark walls. Paul threw his bag on the bottom bunk below John's and unlocked the cabinet.

'What a shithole.' John spat.

'It's not that bad.' Stuart shrugged, getting into the duvet of his top bunk. George unpacked his trunk on his bottom bunk before opening the small window in the corner.

'When's the show?' Pete asked.

'9pm tonight.'

***

The bar was different to the ones they'd played in Liverpool, it was darker and a lot more sweaty. These people were drunk out of their minds and popping pills to keep themselves awake. George felt a little uncomfortable under the circumstances and he couldn't wait to bed down for the night.

'Is everyone alright?' Paul asked as John tuned his guitar. He noticed George's little tremors and pulled him to the side. 'You're going to be fine.'

'But what if-'

'It's going to be alright.' Paul smiled.

And it was. It was alright for the next few weeks. They'd play 6 hours a night none stop and then go back to their room to rest until the next night. That was 'alright' in Hamburg, it wasn't ideal but it was 'alright' and they'd got used to the system.

'Here, take these.' Someone said as John sat exhausted at the break. 'All of you take these.'

'What are they?'

'They keep you awake.' The man nodded and shoved them into John's hand. 'Is good for you, no?'

'Thanks.' John said, walking backstage to the others. 'Guys.'

'Yeah?' Stuart poked his head round.

'I got some pills. The boss gave us them. To keep us awake.' He handed them out and swallowed his own.

'What are they?' Paul inquired, telling George not to take it until he knew.

'I don't know. They're safe.'

'How do you know?' Paul asked.

John laughed and walked up to Paul, taking his hand and moving the hair from his eyes. 'Trust me Paulie.'

'It's not you I don't trust.' Paul pulled away. 'It's the man who gave you these.'

'It'll be alright.' George smiled, swallowing the pill. They then went about their usual routine to set up for the show.

Paul fell to his knees against the wall, his eyes wide and filled with tears. John rushed to his side and took his hand.

'Paul!' He cried.

'I-' Paul wretched. 'I don't feel good.'

'You're alright, Paul.' He soothed his back. 'You're okay.'

'I - I feel like - like death.' Paul stuttered, barely being able to breathe.

Stuart rolled his eyes. 'The gig starts in 5 minutes.'

'I - I can't go on, John.' Paul grabbed John's shirt and fell against his body. His whole body was trembling.

'Pull yourself together.' Stuart said. 'They're expecting a show.'

'I can't breathe.' Paul tried to catch his breath, breathing heavily. John stroked his back.

'Come on Paulie, you're alright.'

George looked at John and saw a sensitive side. He saw genuine concern for his friend and it made him worry. John barely ever panicked but here, in this moment, he was on the verge of a breakdown.

'We're not going on.' John said, not taking his attention off Paul for even a second. He shushed Paul and wiped the tears from his face.

'But John-'

'But nothing Stu! I say we're not going on tonight.' John finally snapped.

'He took the same thing as us.' Stuart sighed. 'He's just over-reacting.'

Pete walked up from behind Stuart and fell into a chair near the rest of his bandmates. 'Man I feel rough.' He said.

'What?' George asked, noticing how pale he had become in the mirror. 'Jesus! What have they given us?'

'I feel sick.' Paul put his hand to his mouth and gagged. John rubbed his back still and looked at Stuart with an overpowering stare.

'We're not playing tonight.' He said, simply.

'Alright.' Stuart nodded, finally giving in.

'Right - help me get him up.' He grabbed Paul's arm and wrapped it around his shoulder.

'I can walk.' Paul nodded, breathing a little calmer.

***

'My name iz Astrid.' She greeted, shaking John's hand. She had a gentle touch and short blonde hair.

John smirked, sipping his alcohol smoothly. 'What brings you to us?'

'I am a photographer. I take photos, you want me to take some of you?' She asked in a calm voice.

'That would be lovely.' John nodded.

'Hello.' She smiled towards Stuart, making him turn his head.

'Hi.' He grinned. 'You're very pretty.'

'Thank you.' She blushed.

'Would you like to go for a drink with me sometime?' Stuart smirked. Astrid's face blushed red as she nodded.

'I'd love to.'

From that day forward the two were inseparable. Stuart had started to stay at her house and attended a few of her parties.

***

'Please welcome Rory Storm and the Hurricanes!'

John and Paul watched as the other Liverpudlian band began to play. The frontman was a strong character, he had a persona about him that gained him a lot of attention. But John and Paul were more interested in the drummer.

He was a dark figure in the back, who was clearly an experienced player. His hits and beats were never off as he jilted his head back and forth in time with the song.

His name was Richard Starkey and he was a few years older. He was often found flirting with the barmaid to get free booze. John was drawn to him.

'The name's Ringo.' He stuck his hand out and shook Paul's. 

'Paul.' He said. 'And this is John.'

'Pleasure to meet yous both.' He lit his cigarette. 'You've got a good little band between yous.'

'Thanks.' Paul said. 'You're not too bad yourself.'

'How long have you been playing?' John asked, enthralled by the smaller man. His hair was slicked up in a cool fashion and his mouth was cocked into a wacky smirk.

'Since I was a toddler.' He snorted. 'Always been interested.'

In reality, he started playing in hospital when his dad bought him a mini drumset. He was a sickly child and spent most of his youth in and out of hospitals in and around Liverpool.

'I got my first proper drumset when I was about 13. Still only a nipper really.' He laughed. Paul noticed a large set of rings situated on his fingers. That must be where the nickname came from. 'I'll see you lads about, gotta rush off.'

Paul and John nodded. Once he'd gone, John turned to Paul and said:

'We could use him in our band.'

Paul agreed. Pete didn't fit in with them a great deal. He refused to follow their regimes and went to bed early. He was a good friend but not a great person to be with.

Astrid had cut Stuart's hair into a quiff and John had insisted everyone get a similar style. Every complied, everyone except Pete.

***

After a few months playing at one club, John found a new one just up the street.

'If you ever play for anyone vut me, I vill make sure you regret it.' The man spat in his face, warning that he had power to get them in deep trouble.

'We'll take the gig.' John smirked at the manager of the Top 10, a bigger and better club than the one they were currently in.

The next night the band were setting up to play at their new club when a bunch of police officers barged onto the stage.

'Where is George Harrison?' They declared their presence in a boisterous manner, grabbing Paul by the shirt and spitting in his face. 'Is that you?'

Paul looked at George and shook his head. George took a deep breath and stepped forward. 'I'm George.'

'I am arresting you for playing underage in a licensed bar.' The police officer handled George roughly.

'What?' George asked, his voice high and panicked. 'What do you mean?' He tried to struggle against the handcuffs.

John pushed one of the coppers with his fists. 'He ain't underage, he's seventeen!'

'It is illegal to play at a bar under the age of 18.'

'We weren't told that!' John screamed. 'This is bullshit!'

'We'll get you out Geo, just stay calm.' Paul promised half-heartedly.

The police officers pushed George into the back of their van and drove off.

'Who told them?' Paul threw his bag onto the floor. 'Those fucking bastards!'

'I have an idea.' John's eyes grew narrow, his heart racing with rage. 'That fucking pig.'

'Chill out!' Stuart said, holding Astrid's hand tight. 'It'll all blow over.'

'Fucking chill out? George will be scared stiff in there!' Paul pushed him a little. 'And all you can fucking say is 'chill out', you fucking-'

'Alright Paul, sither a little.' Ringo smoked his cigarette.

'He's going to be deported.' Astrid said. 'That's the only thing they can do.'

'Deported back to England?' John asked, sighing heavily. Paul put his hand on his head and shook.

'What are we going to do?'

***

Fortsätt läs

Du kommer också att gilla

26.2K 780 46
Paul just started on a new school. Everything's grate till he starts to get weird eye contact with the schools bully John... a mclennon story it's n...
1.8K 98 9
It's 1988. Paul McCartney is being interviewed for the David Frost show, about a rather controversial topic. Once home, he discovers the few simple q...
2.5K 51 20
Paul McCartney was a shy lad, he never really went outside of his bubble. He didn't have very many friends as it has always been him and his best fri...
3.3K 187 35
A/N: when I started this book I didn't really know what I was doing but I feel it's got better in the later chapters, please stick with it, it will g...