He Came From The Wild

By ellarose12

It is a common practice that when one Alpha challengers another, the defeated wolf can either be banished int... More

He Came From The Wild
Chapter One | Crash Landing
Chapter Two | A New World
Chapter Three | Canine Companion
Chapter Four | Making Friends
Chapter Six | Decisions, Decisions
Chapter Seven | Goodbyes
Chapter Eight | Meeting Monsters
Chapter Nine | Don't Let Go.
Chapter Ten | Game On
Chapter Eleven | Presents
Chapter Twelve | Fun Times
Chapter Thirteen | Her Story
Chapter Fourteen | Back to Work
Chapter Fifteen | Back to School
Chapter Sixteen | Girl Talk.
Chapter Seventeen | Competition
Chapter Eighteen | She's My Home.
Chapter Nineteen | House Guest.
Chapter Twenty | Fate. Love. Mate?
Chapter TwentyOne | Perfume.
Chapter TwentyTwo | Suit Up.
Chapter TwentyThree | Nicholas.
Chapter TwentyFour | World Keeps Turning
Chapter TwentyFive | Falling To Pieces
Chapter TwentySix | Set It Free.
Chapter TwentySeven | She Runs With Wolves.
Chapter TwentyEight | Thinking. A Lot.
Chapter TwentyNine | Back Home.
Chapter Thirty | Four out of Five.
Chapter ThirtyOne | Recovery.
Chapter ThirtyTwo | Allies and Enemies
Chapter ThirtyThree | Number Five: Acceptance.
Chapter ThirtyFour | Closure.
He Came From The Wild | Epilogue.
Raised By Wolves

Chapter Five | Among Wolves

25.1K 1.2K 143
By ellarose12

It took every inch of self-control Braydon had not to actually hurt the bear. The animal had sensed something different about the wolf and knew to leave it alone, but that didn't stop him from chasing it back to its cub and sending them across the river before going deeper back into the forest - away from the cabin. Away from Miranda.

Enough. Check on the girl.

The wolf had a point. She could have kept running, or have been hurt and all because he got angry with her, leaving her unprotected.

She saw us change.

Braydon didn't acknowledge that final point. He was too scared to admit it had happened. All he had thought about was protecting her and now? Getting to the clearing, the wolf ran around trying to pick up her scent. He became almost frantic as he couldn't trail her and following the strongest lead, he was led back to the cabin.

He didn't think she would stay put, considering the time he had been away Miranda could have got a decent head start on her escape. With a grunt of effort, he retuned to his human form and finding the shorts, pulled them on - thankful what ever magic lived in the world to make his kind even exist made it so clothing was abandoned and not ruined during the change.

Clutching the iron pot, Miranda slapped her free hand over her mouth as Braydon entered the cabin, muffling the squeal of fright. She wanted to scream, cry, run, but instead she tried to focus on not passing out from holding her breath as she followed the movement of his feet.

"Miranda?" He called softly, "are you here?"

The erratic thumping of her heart was loud enough for him to faintly detect and the barely there whimpering from under the bed told him where she was. Relief filled him as it meant she hadn't ran away, only it didn't last long as the air became saturated with her fear.

"Please don't be afraid."

Considering she was trapped, Miranda didn't see how he could expect her to be anything other than that. She had no idea what she had actually seen and slowly, the shaky, stuttered question managed to leave her. "What. Are. You?"

"I can't tell you." Braydon answered regretfully.

Bit late for that! The wolf scoffed.

"I saw, and you were there and then, you weren't. The wolf. What are you?" It defied everything she knew about the world. Things like that didn't happen. Her mind was racing as she tried to rationalize it. She had fallen; hit her head. It was a side effect of taking expired pain medication or maybe just a delayed reaction to some head trauma from the plane crash.

Then again, what if she was safe in hospital and all of this was a dream. She wasn't actually in the wild with a - werewolf? The thought had her feeling nauseas and she swallowed down the burning rise of bile in her throat

"If you come out, I'll tell you." Braydon tried to bargain, using her own method of persuasion against her.

"I-I can't."

"Why not?"

"Are you going to kill me?" She asked weakly, no longer wanting to get to know her captor. What a stupid idea that had been.

Braydon only rolled his eyes. "No. I keep telling you no. Don't you think I would've by now?"

Miranda decided he had a point. "Go outside!"

"Why?"

"Because I need you outside!" Slowly her confidence started to return, or maybe her common sense had left her. Either way the tone she used wasn't leaving any room for argument.

Obediently Braydon did as she asked. He even closed the door. "I'm out!"

A few minutes later Miranda left her hiding place, dusting off the dirt from her clothes and still holding her main source of defense, went and sat down against the door. If she could lock it, she would have, but Braydon had broken that when they first arrived.

"Miranda?"

"What are you?" She called out in response, tensing as she heard his steps outside before the door pressed on her back as he sat against it, trying to keep close to her.

"I'm a shifter, a wolf-shifter."

"Like a werewolf?" Miranda didn't know whether to laugh or cry. This wasn't happening.

"No. Not the kind you're thinking of. We can transform any time and a full animal as you saw, not a half man half monster." For some reason Braydon wanted to touch her; hold her hand and try to make her believe he wasn't going to hurt her. Reasons beyond his comprehension had him wanting her trust him, and the moment by the river this morning had him wanting more of that too. All he could do was lean a little harder against the door and knowing she was on the other side was as close as he could be.

"That's why you live out here isn't it?" Her voice sounded detached, emotionless and Miranda didn't even know what she was saying until the words left her mouth.

"It's why I can survive out here." Braydon confirmed.

"The people that chased you away, they were, are, like you?"

"Yes, my pack." He answered, willing to answer all her questions now. No more hiding and the wolf wasn't impressed.

Careful.

"How many of you are there?"

"More than you'd think. We're broken into larger city packs or some prefer smaller family groups. I shouldn't tell you about them. You're not supposed to know about us." His voice was filled with regret and Miranda only sighed.

"Why?"

"You're human." He answered simply.

"Are there more of you, out here?"

"No. We live like you do, have jobs, homes; we can just shift into a wolf. We're stronger too, our senses are keener than yours." Braydon shared.

It's not like she had any other choice other than to believe him. She had seen it with her own eyes and instantly her stomach dropped thinking off the wolf that had followed her and kept her company.

Then she just got angry.

Hearing her stand, Braydon quickly got up and as the door swung open, he stepped back. Just like at their first time down at the river, her eyes were blazing with fury and even the wolf was intimidated, willing him to shift and submit to her will.

"You creep! You absolute creep! You were the wolf, you chased me and scared me and watched me wash and-"

"Please, Miranda!" Braydon put his hands out hesitantly, taking another step away from her.

"What hell is wrong with you?" She roared, before realizing she was screaming at a werewolf wolf-shifting thing, and that might not be the best idea.

"Why didn't you run away again?" The calm tone Braydon used surprised her and she didn't actually understand the question. Just like he had hoped, it worked to distract her.

"What?"

"When I chased the bear, you stayed here. You didn't run." Slowly her arm lowered the pot as her eyes looked behind him and at the forest around them. Why did she run inside and not try to get as far away from him as she could?

"Because running away has worked out so well for me in the past." She snapped, instead crossing her arms and glaring at him.

Having the audacity to smile he no longer felt threatened by her, while all Miranda wanted to do was whack Braydon over the head with the pot.

"Why are you doing that? Do you think this is funny?" Miranda demanded, her own growl of frustration leaving her as she stormed back inside. "Leave me the hell alone!"

Once back inside, she made a show of slamming the door. If Braydon thought he could lose control of his temper, so could his companion. Miranda started pacing, questioning herself on her choice of hiding place. Was it because it because it was familiar to her, a bed, a house - normal things. Running would end up with the wolf, well Braydon, finding her and then she'd be back where she started from anyway.

He saved her from the bear.

There wouldn't be much of her left if he hadn't come when he did and his promise of protecting her floated around in her mind. Flopping down onto the bed only one question came to mind, 'why me?'

-x-

The day went by and emerging from the cabin, she found Braydon by another fire pit and some kind of animal sat amongst the flames cooking.

"Did you, get these as a wolf?" Despite her fear, her curiosity was taking over and yet she kept her distance.

"Yes. Until you, I only ate that way too."

"How is it possible? Are you cursed?" She asked, trying to get a grip on what he was.

"No, no curses well maybe in the beginning. Our origins aren't really clear, but for as long as there has been man, we have existed."

Miranda wondered if she had already been around these wolf-shifting people. There were a few women at work that were complete bitches, so maybe that was why?

"Hungry?" He held up the stick and Miranda was lured in closer, taking a seat on the dirt opposite him and took it. Her stomach churned as she considered the possibility that it was bear she was about to eat and his eyebrows raised curiously at her hesitation.

"This isn't bear is it?" Then she remembered the cub and guilt ate at her insides.

"No!" Braydon laughed more to himself, "I only chased her and her cub away. They won't come back."

"Good, I know she was only protecting her baby. They didn't deserve to have anything bad happen to them." And with that she took a bite, not loving the gamey flavor. It definitely wasn't rabbit and she too scared to ask.

"I agree." Her comment impressed him. She could be scary when she was angry, but she wasn't cruel.

"Can you talk to animals, like Dr. Dolittle?"

Again Braydon laughed, before shaking his head. "No. They know I'm not normal and for the most part they back off. Wolves don't. They're very curious and friendly. Maybe you will meet them?"

"Wild, actual wolves?" That didn't sound so great after the bear incident.

"Trust me." Braydon half smiled, before stoking the fire again.

'Trust him?' Miranda thought, yet she knew he had given his to her that morning. Apart from the obvious kidnapping, he had looked after her, fed her, and protected her. If anything he had proved himself to be trust worthier than the people she dealt with every day. Maybe she was starting to get a case of Stockholm syndrome, sympathizing with her kidnapper. He just seemed too nice to be doing this with evil intentions.

"Braydon, when you found me, why did you bring me out here?" She had asked before, but didn't get much from him then.

He kept quiet for a few moments, and just when she thought he wasn't going to answer he did.

"The old man and the other one didn't even look for you. They got out of plane and set up camp too busy on their radio to look for you. I thought you are beautiful, and so I keep you with me so you are protected. I told you I'll keep you safe!" He didn't hide his anger well and Miranda chewed for a few more times than necessary, hoping her silence would calm him down.

"I know, and you have been, so thank you, but what now that I'm out here with you? Are we supposed to wander the forest forever?"

"I like talking to you and I like being around you." Braydon admitted shyly, not sure if he should tell her how he also likes holding her and looking into her eyes or the sound of her laugh. He liked lots of things about her, but he kept quiet on the rest of them.

"I like talking to you too, but-"

"What else do you like about me?" He cut her off, and making eye contact, saw how uneasy it made her. Yet he didn't look away, challenging her instead.

"Um, you can hunt." She held up the third stick of meat she had.

"What else?" Braydon questioned.

"Your smile, now I can see it." Miranda blurted out and quickly looked away, blushing.

Instantly Braydon smiled, "I like it when you do that."

"What?" She wasn't sure what she was doing.

"Tell me what you're really thinking, like you forget you're scared of me. So far you only do it when you're angry."

"I'm not scared of you!" Miranda argued, and even she knew she was lying.

"Just like you're not scared of the spiders?" He mocked. This whole time she had been guarded, fearful and slowly he could see her opening up. Maybe it was because now she knew his secret?

"I'm not scared of spiders!" She rolled her eyes and sighed dramatically, yet their moment was cut short. "Where did you get the pants?"

"I always had them. Just never used." He snapped, instantly getting defensive again.

"You know, I think you're scared of me too!"

"I'm not." The growl was undeniable and Miranda's eyes widened in shock before narrowing in on him.

"You, you can make those sounds?" She thought of each time she had heard it before and now felt stupid thinking it was an animal. "You much think you're hilarious scaring me all those times!"

Braydon didn't think it was hilarious, if anything he liked it because before it would guarantee she would go to him, seeking his help. It made him feel important, wanted and now that illusion was ruined.

"Mostly when the wolf in me gets angry. You insult him by saying we would be scared of you."

"Because I'm a girl? A human?" Miranda snapped back, taking a whole new meaning to the alpha male persona amongst men.

"Yes." Braydon answered simply with a shrug.

"Do you talk to the wolf? I thought you said you can't talk to animals?"

"I can hear him, in my mind. Like a thought and he can make me feel things too. It's like two spirits in one body." He was happy to tell her that, wanting to distract her his previous comment.

"When you're a wolf, who is in control?"

"Me, unless he is really angry and I let him go. Then I'm no better than the wild ones out here."

That didn't really do much to comfort Miranda. "If there is a full moon and you bite me will I turn into one?"

"No. We are born, not made." Finished with the fire, Braydon filled it in and let her ask her questions.

"Do half human half wolf werewolves exist?"

"No."

"Vampires?" Braydon hesitated, "oh my god! Really?"

"No, well I've never heard of them existing."

"I guess that's a good thing." Miranda reasoned.

"Yeah."

Her questions about his kind kept coming and as he got up to go back to the river, Miranda followed. "Do the females give birth to puppies or babies?"

"Babies, we're still human. We don't shift until we're sixteen." Unless you're me, Braydon thought, unable to ignore the ache of rejection from his pack because of this. He had always been treated differently.

"What happens then?"

"We meet our wolf spirit. The first change in the most painful, but it gets better after that."

Miranda stopped her questions, the frown on his face telling her more than he probably intended. For the most part he had been answering her amused, eager even to talk about it with her and now, not so much.

"Braydon, why aren't you with your pack? People and wolves need others of their kind around them, why are you out here?" Miranda hoped he would give her a clue at least, more than that he saw people as villains to stay away from.

"I have you now. It doesn't matter."

It did matter. It mattered a lot to Miranda.

"I belong with my family, my pack Braydon. Please understand that!" She begged, reaching out to take his hand he shrugged her away.

"You're better off out here. The sooner you understand that, the better!"

Braydon stalked off, shifting and then ran, unable to escape the sounds of her crying, as he never really left her. No, he wouldn't make that mistake again.

-x-

The following morning, Miranda went about her own routine. Going down to the water she bathed and while she never saw Braydon, she just felt him nearby. It was weird, but none of this was normal. His pain seemed to make her feel connected to him, the urge to help him outweighing anything else. If she tried hard enough, got to him to open up to her completely, could she then convince him to return to her world or even the one he left behind?

What she really wanted were her parents. Her Dad always knew what to do or say to make her feel better. Maybe she could hand Braydon over to her Mum to mother. She was suffocating at times, but maybe that kind of TLC was what he needed. Really Braydon was a lost boy, a man who grew up with no guidance and if she could bring him around to her way of thinking, she might be able to break through.

"No fear Miranda, you can do this." She told herself, and walking back into the clearing she stopped, dropping her supplies and her pep talk failed her. "I can't do this."

A pack of wolves lay lazily around the cabin. A few wrestled with each other, another groomed a pup, while the others dragged around a stick. For the most part they were just relaxing and enjoying the morning sun.

Then one saw her.

The black animal got up, lowering its head as it observed her. Teeth were instantly revealed as it managed to grow in size and at its defensive stance, a couple of others joined in.

"Braydon!" She dared to scream, and the shrill sound of her voice had a couple of the smaller ones running into the trees while a few went to the pups. The other adults began to spread out in a line towards her. The wrestling duo didn't stop and they were the first to move closer, more curious than threatened.

It was then Braydon appeared from the cabin, the howl like sound was no better than a dog impersonation that Miranda knew she could do, but the wolves responded and turned to look at him. A few instantly ran over, jumping up around him like over affectionate pets and as he walked over to her, he stroked the black one making it snap at his hand. Braydon growled back and the wolf settled, but wasn't relaxed.

Taking Miranda's hand, he pulled her rigid form into the clearing. "These are the wolves."

"Obviously." She managed to get out, closing her eyes as one of the ones who had been wrestling charged over. Braydon stepped in front of her, growling at it and the animal calmed down. The whining excited yaps that followed; stirred up the others and they all ran to be around the duo.

"They like you."

"What, because I'm not mauled to death yet?" Miranda opened her eyes and her heart melted at the sight of the pups. They weren't babies, and comparing them to a normal puppy, had to be maybe five or so months old.

"Well, yes. But look the pups are here too!"

Sure enough, the ones who seem to guard the youngest in the pack had laid down, most going back to what ever they were doing before the interruption and Braydon squatted down to their level. The mostly white pup dared to gnaw on his fingers before rolling onto its back and wresting with his hand.

Unable to resist the temptation of a puppy, Miranda mimicked his actions and found herself being mauled with kisses from the red and white youngster, who was then joined by its look alike and they had Miranda sitting down to cuddle them.

As the black wolf came over, Braydon watched the one he knew as Alpha cautiously and the pups abandoned their new playmate to go to their mother. With a sigh she laid down and one of the largest wolves Miranda had ever seen, not that she had seen a lot of them, came out from the bushes.

"These two are the Alpha's." Braydon told Miranda, and they watched as he bumped heads with her before half rolling on his mate as he laid beside her. "Told you they liked you."

As the day went on, none of the wolves liked Miranda more than the little brown and black female who was forever tugging on her pants or trying to chew her hand. The pup didn't leave her side.

"Did you bring them here?" Miranda asked Braydon as he came to sit beside her.

"No, if I move and stay in a place for more than a couple of days they find me." He told her, not leaving her side like the pup. Some of the yearlings could get a little rough, so he wasn't going to leave her alone to be scared by them.

It was afternoon when the pack set off, and Miranda could see the longing in Braydon's eyes as he watched them run.

"Go, shift, be a wolf." She laughed, not quite believing what she was saying. Something had changed this afternoon, being happy and relaxed made her look at things differently. Her puppy companion only helped with that, as Miranda was left smitten with the runt of the liter. On top of that, Braydon's good mood was addictive and never had she seen a person so happy leaving her wondering if being out there was really so bad?

"Come with us." He offered, rubbing the pup's head before standing.

Miranda looked away as he took off the pants, his shadow moving over her as he stretched before it was his wolf that nudged her side. Without thinking she rubbed behind its ears, earning a big wet kiss on her cheek. Her loyal puppy companion playfully bounced towards him, following Braydon as he went after her pack. Getting up, Miranda followed them.

She had no hope in keeping up and it didn't take long for Braydon to realize that. Because he didn't run with them, they didn't go too far and Miranda was able to watch them rather than be amongst them. People would kill for this kind of experience, she had seen documentaries of people working in reserves and sanctuaries - living amongst these animals that way. Right now she had the real deal and the cosmopolitan city life seemed to boring in comparison.

At nightfall the world was filled with the song of the wolves, the haunting melody touching her soul and as Braydon reappeared, his tongue lolled out his mouth making his wolf appear more like a goofy dog than wild animal. Stopping just in front of her, his muzzle was lifted to the sky and the howl that poured from him left her speechless. She felt tears in her eyes and didn't understand why. It was different to the others, sadder and it was something she'd never be able to forget.

The second he finished she fell to her knees in front of him, throwing her arms around his neck she hugged him, like that alone would fix his problems. The furry head leant into her shoulder, inhaling her scent - the wolf no longer saw her as just a human girl, but something else. What that was, he didn't know, just like Braydon.

We should keep her, it admitted to Braydon.

I told you, he gloated.

The sensation of Miranda's fingers in its fur was, nice and when she let go, and stepped back, it missed the contact as much as Braydon.

"That was beautiful Braydon," Miranda spoke softly, his ears twisting slightly as he absorbed her words. His tail wagged before he circled her legs in a rather cat like fashion and she ruffled his coat, almost massaging his back as her fingers dug in. Her Dads dog seemed to like it when she did that and so did Braydon.

Walking back to the cabin, he was practically prancing with pride beside her. Only Miranda felt confused. She couldn't stay out here, running with wolves and keeping the shifter company. It wasn't practical and she couldn't be happy knowing her parents thought she was dead.

Braydon picked up on her change of moods. Her worry was like a bad smell and now his wolf seemed more accepting of her, everything became clearer to him as far as she was concerned. He didn't understand how in the walk back, things could change and so once they were back, Braydon quickly shifted and joined her inside the cabin.

"Why are you sad?"

"I miss my parents. I wish I could tell them I was still alive." Miranda admitted, hugging the pillow on the bed.

"Maybe it's better, them not knowing?"

"I don't see how. Imagine if someone you cared about, someone you loved just disappeared and you didn't know if they were alive or dead. How would that make you feel?" Miranda wiped her eyes, trying to hide her tears from him.

For some reason the only person he could apply that question to was Miranda. If she did just disappear, what would he do? He would try to find her, but with no scent trail or clue as to where she went, then what?

He would miss her.

Mourn her.

Keep looking for her.

"I can't let you go back. You need to stay here to talk to me."

"That's not a great reason why Braydon." Miranda whispered, "If you came with me, there will be lots of people to talk to. Some of your kind even."

"I don't want them. I won't go back." He yelled, trying not to get defensive, but failing terribly.

"Then tell me why!" This time Miranda didn't back down when he yelled at her. "Why are you out here? What the hell happened?"

Braydon stood there, his anger building. He was tired from the day, from the run and just wanted things to stay how they had just been.

Putting down the pillow, Miranda swallowed hard and standing, walked over to where he stood. Taking his hand in hers, Braydon watched her curiously, not sure what she was doing. He found it hard to think when she touched him. She was always so gentle, and his hand dwarfed hers as she entwined her fingers amongst his.

Miranda guided him down to sit beside her on the bed, letting go of all her fears and forgetting the past. His resolve was weakening, she could tell as the anger and panic left his face. If she wanted to get out of here, he had to let her.

"Braydon, it's going to be ok," her free hand reached out to his chest. "I know that you have a good heart, and that something bad happened to you. You know I don't belong out here, and neither do you."

Even if he wanted to tell her, he couldn't. Her hand left his chest and slowly let go of his. Looking into her eyes, she was pleading with him to understand, but she was so close, so soft and warm and Braydon was tired. It had been nice sleeping beside her in the tree, and under the brush. What would it feel like now?

"We'll sleep and then tomorrow I will tell you." Braydon gave in, and Miranda took a deep breath, nodding. All the other times he had left her to sleep inside and so as he laid down Miranda frowned, confused.

"You want to sleep here?"

"Yes?" Miranda went to stand, only to have him take back her hand. "Stay."

"Together?"

"Yes." He lifted up the blanket, and hesitantly she lay down beside him. His arm came around her side, holding her hand as she tried to remember how to breathe.

Braydon curled around Miranda, his face beside her hair. The faint smell of the soap interrupted him enjoying her scent completely and slowly she stopped trembling. Miranda refused to admit that having him beside her was nice, that she felt safer than she had when he been in his wolf form. It was, comfortable. Her place with him was easily found and it wasn't just him holding her hand, but she was holding his too. That act alone had a smile on Braydon's face as he fell asleep, yet Miranda was wide awake. Never had she been more aware of anyone so close to her in her life.

How could she like this? It was wrong. She was going crazy. That's all there was to it. If this was some coma-induced dream world - she needed a therapist when she woke up to make sense of this. He was a wolf shifter, she was lost in the wild and now she was sleeping beside him - liking it.

It didn't help that she found him attractive, or he had defended her against a bear and pulled her out of a plane wreck. He made sure she had water and food, protected her. It was like some kind of medieval chivalry and as her mind raced until the point of falling asleep, not once did she think of Jason Carpe.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 14.9K 12
There was never a story of an alpha being rejected, it was unheard but he was the exception. Alpha Sean Dawson had everything in his life, a strong p...
59.4K 1.7K 26
"It's not that I don't want you," I tell him softly as I wring my hands together. "Because I do, it's just complicated." "It's not complicated." He s...
575K 16.2K 34
I was never appreciated for who I was. I was tossed aside and left to rot for a mistake I made many years ago, a mistake that haunted me my entire li...
252K 11.1K 26
I was rejected by my family, the pack members and my mate because I couldn't shift. On the day of my sister and mate's mating ceremony, My wolf, or...