Secrets from a Church Basemen...

By BloodDrifter

God won't save your life. But this book might. So says Fresco Ayers, a scientist struggling to save his daugh... More

Introduction
Insanity Will Be My First Defense
Earless Rabbits and "A Gift from Lucy"
Confusion, Catharsis, and Emotional Cannibalism
Monster Sex and Fire in the Confessional
Kiss My Rumpus Detective Studefrummtice!
Innocent Sinners Have More Fun
Can a Priest Be a Devil?
Blood Bubble Impedes Man of the Cloth
Unforgettable Ignorance
The Sun Giveth, but the Son Taketh Away
Churchy Chitchat Really Chafes
An Unexpected Ally: Everything's About to Change
Desperation Is a Cardinal Mistake
A Prayer for the Overwhelmed
Circular Clues Like This Can't Lead to Heaven
This Conversation Hurt Like Hell
Packing for the Vatican
Dead and Back Again
The Bells That Have Me By the Balls
A Fountain of Youth (If You Can Stand the Aftertaste)
The Echoes of a Blank Mind
A Real Crap Shoot
To Be a Fool
Beautiful Fear and a Spook Most Near
Utopia, Never
Nails in the Water
God Is...
Dry Hints and a Sobering Hostage Crisis
Godless Whispers: Monster Sex Part Deux
If a Pill Is to Swallow...
Cacophony in My Closet, Darkness in My Head
A Thing That Cannot Be
Stuffed Apostle of a Coming Resurrection
Easter Morning Terror
The Silence Provokes
Love in Chains
Adam's Rabbits on the March
The Godawful Rhyme That Ate Mother Goose
Failed Alchemy of a Phony Heathen?
Left for Dread
That Piper's Gonna Pay!
Into the Closet, Out of My Mind
Apology for the Coming Attractions
A Warning From the Candy Man
Righteous Anticipation
The Best Laid Plans
A Sermon to Make You Gag
Poisoned by Wanderlust
Madness in the Afterglow
The Ritual of Rats, Bats, and Three-Eyed Cats
Cynical Sentiments and Sacred Centipedes
A Killing?
Adrift
Hallowed Be Thy Quackery
Dr. Buttercup and the Coughing Creepers
Naked Exit by Man of the Cloth
The Sinner With the Marble Eye
An Untested Sermon
Cult of 1
Be With Me
The Bad Man Rises
Crazier Than Cornbread?
The Tragic Amusement of Scurrying Albinos
Grace Behind the Flames
A Miracle Swimming in Black
Interview With a Basement Butterfly
Strawberry Milkshake Exorcism
22 Silent Sundays

Your Senses Require No Apology

42 3 2
By BloodDrifter

Your Senses Require No Apology

It's happening. I'm now convinced of it. All of my work is being exploited for the selfish purposes of a few. But they have no idea what they are doing.

It's getting warmer. The trees along the street outside are usually full of fresh leaves this time of year. Today, I saw many falling off of their branches as if it was late autumn. It's the kind of thing I'd expect.

After Wednesday's noon service, I was polishing a few of the pews. Several of the regular parishioners were gathered in a corner of the cathedral whispering to each other. These are older folks, many in their eighties. They've lived around here most of their lives.

I managed to get close enough to hear a little of what they were talking about without looking suspicious. (I don't want the priest getting on my case about freaking out his little old lackeys of the Lord. Heaven forbid they spot a black man showing interest in what they've got to say.)

Anyway, they were saying they have never seen a year like this. They talked of the sun rising in the wrong places, clouds of the wrong texture, a lack of bees in their neighborhoods, and a constant vibration under their feet. Their bones are rattling, they say.

It would be easy enough to write their observations off as nothing but the effects of too much holy wine, candle smoke in the eyes, and the brown cloud that hangs over this city. But it's the last bit that gets me: the bones. The vibration. I feel it too.

Then, of course, there are the blood drifters. I never accounted for anything like them in my research. I'm determined to find out if they are real. I just don't know how yet.

I paid one of the priest's altar boys to make a run to the art store down the street. As a result, I'm fresh out of cash for another week. (No new books for me for a little while. I hope I don't snap.)

I placed the supplies into the shadows along the furthest wall from my bed. Within minutes, they disappeared into a swirling blob of red mist that smelled of sweaty Parmesan cheese. I don't know any other way to describe it. It was kind of disgusting actually.

I vomited for two days afterward. The priest suggested I pray to this healing saint or disciple or some such dead guy with a goofy name. I told him to suck on some Junior Mints and offered a couple. He took 'em and shut up.

I'm worried about what'll come from the paints. I really can't stand most artwork these days. A lot of it looks like the work of monkeys and elephants on meth. Actually, that's not fair; stoned animals would do a better job than the human hacks of today with their unintelligible conceptual cries for mama. 

Mind you, I can't be certain that "art" is what the supplies will be used for. It could be that my shadow friends intend on defiling the church. That's a clean-up job I really don't want. (There's something about having to wipe down statues of a virgin and her tortured half-naked son that really doesn't sit right with me.)

In any case, it's either time to put me away with the other crazies or to start paying attention. When I get some real evidence to share, you'll be the first to know. Please stay with me.

It's all starting to happen.

______________________

Thanks for reading! Your comments and votes are appreciated. And please don't hesitate to follow @BloodDrifter to be notified of new diary entries.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.1K 353 26
Set in an alternate universe where multiple Earths exist. Except no one on Earth 1 is aware of this. This is a story when the subconscious of the sam...
68 0 24
A Story for Children... about children... and written by children. (You know, the child inside.) Just kidding. I am still working on this book. The f...
104 18 49
Trey must save the people of an absurd alternate universe to save Deni, the love of his life.
82.3K 3.3K 23
In which a 'perfectly normal' boy gets kidnapped by a ramshackle group of aliens simply trying to save the multiverse.