Light in the Darkness

By rocky_the_hufflepuff

When Harry and Ron stop talking to Hermione during third year, she turns to her studies to drown out the lone... More

A Brief Note
Chapter 1: A Prankster in the Making
Chapter 2: Quidditch and Revelations
Chapter 3: After the Dog, Wolf, and Rat
Chapter 4: The Quidditch World Cup
Chapter 5: The Ferret Boy
Chapter 6: The Goblet of Fire
Chapter 7: Injustice and Justice
Chapter 8: The Yule Ball
Chapter 9: The Triwizard Cup
Chapter 10: 12 Grimmauld Place
Chapter 11: A Revelation
Chapter 12: Detention With Umbridge
Chapter 13: Meeting at Hog's Head
Chapter 14: The Final Quidditch Match
Chapter 15: To Save Mr. Weasley's Life
Chapter 17: Fred and George Weasley Must Not Cause Trouble
Chapter 18: A Present From Sirius
Chapter 19: To Rid Hogwarts of Dolores Umbridge
Chapter 20: Summer Before Sixth Year
Chapter 21: The Problem With Distance
Chapter 22: To Tutor a Malfoy
Chapter 23: Oblivate
Chapter 24: The Fall of the Ministry of Magic
Chapter 25: Headmaster Severus Snape
Chapter 26: A Reputation to Uphold
Chapter 27: Dumbledore's Army, Still Recruiting
Chapter 28: Forgiveness and Chaos
Chapter 29: The End of the War
Epilogue

Chapter 16: A Trip to Hogsmeade

8.2K 299 171
By rocky_the_hufflepuff

Harry was avoiding everyone. Sure, at first they were all a little startled when they overheard Mad-Eye suggest that Harry was being possessed. No one really believed it though, not even Mad-Eye. Still, it was the only explanation they had for why Harry saw Mr. Weasley attacked from the snake's point of view.

There was no reasoning with him. His sour mood was certainly destroying the Christmas cheer. After helping minimally with the Christmas decorations, Harry disappeared again. Everyone suspected he was with Buckbeak. When Hermione arrived that night unexpectedly, she wasted no more than three minutes talking to everyone before she ran off to find Harry.

Fred wasn't sure what Hermione had said to Harry, but he seemed to have wanted to partake in the festivities after that. "Thought you were skiing with your parents, Granger," Fred commented that evening at dinner.

"To tell the truth, skiing's not really my thing," she answered. "Dumbledore told me this morning what happened. I-Is he-"

"He's going to be fine. Found 'im just in time." Fred looked away for a moment, listening to the general chatter in the room as he decided what to say. "I was really worried about him. Can't imagine life without him."

"Well," Hermione returned, "at least you don't have to know."

The next morning was met with tears. Percy, the world's biggest prat, had sent back his present without so much as a note. Did he even know his father was in the hospital? Did he even care?

Mrs. Weasley sat at the kitchen table with Lupin and Tonks, crying buckets of tears. "Mum, Percy's nothing more than a humongous pile of rat droppings," Fred said in an attempt to console her. She just cried harder.

"Perhaps, you two should see it everyone else is awake," Remus suggested. "Tonks and I'll stay here with your mother."

Fred and George nodded and with a crack! Left the room.

Fred didn't understand it. How could his brother be so cruel to their very loving parents? What was he even doing for Christmas this year? Would he be sitting in his flat alone? Or would he be working at the Ministry all day?

Fred and George entered Ron and Harry's room then. They were looking through their presents excitedly. "Hermione get you a planner, too?" George commented, looking through Ron's gifts. Both Harry and Ron groaned. "You don't reckon she actually expects us to use them, does she?"

"That's probably why she gave them to us. To just stare at them," Harry murmured sarcastically.

Fred said nothing. They had all received a gift from Hermione? Granger had given him nothing for Christmas. Merlin, even George got a planner! Had she forgotten him? Or just didn't care enough to get him one?

Fred had thought long and hard about what to get Hermione for Christmas. It had to be something special, but also something practical. He wanted to give her something she'd use everyday and be forced to think of him because of it. And finally, the idea came to him.

On their way back down the stairs for breakfast, they ran into Hermione. "Merry Christmas!" Fred and George greeted her.

"Merry Christmas," she replied, cheerfully. "George, thank you for the Fainting Fancies...I'm sure I'll find a use for them."

"Reckoned you'd need them for you O.W.L.s," George told her. He glanced between Fred and Hermione before quickly thanking Hermione for the planner and leaving them alone.

"Thank you for the Sugar Quills, Fred," Hermione said. "They're perfect. I love them."

"I'm glad," Fred said. He scratched the back of his head. Should he just leave now?

"I wanted to give you your present in person, actually," she continued, not meeting his eyes. His interest peaked immediately. Maybe he was going to get something better than a planner. She took a small piece of parchment and handed it to Fred. Curiously, he unfolded it.

A large smile passed across his lips. This was better than some planner. "I thought you were a prefect, Miss Granger," he said jokingly.

"I've been spending too much time with you, I guess."

"Seems to be doing you some good," Fred replied. He honestly couldn't think of a better Christmas present. Because there, in his hands, was a voucher. Hermione had agreed to help him with any product he needed. But he had to choose wisely. She had only given him one.

"Come on," Fred said, "let's go. Mum'll have breakfast ready."

-----

George was watching his brother carefully. Fred was working on his secret product again. He was determined to finish the thing if it killed him.

Earlier that day, they Apparated to Diagon Alley to meet with a Mr. Donnelly. The man showed them a property available in Diagon Alley. Number Ninety-three. It was perfect. There was even a flat above the store where they could stay. They could move in anytime, the place was theirs. They didn't have to stay in school any longer.

"Just say it, Georgie," Fred stated, not looking up from his project.

"We don't have to go back," George said, sighing. "We don't have to listen to Umbridge anymore."

Fred took a deep breath, considering what to say. He wasn't ready to leave Hogwarts. He had unfinished business there. "We have to go back. Didn't we always say we'd have to go out with a bang?" George thought for a moment.

"Then when? How are we going to do it?"

"I don't know yet, but it'll be good. Something loud. Something that'll drive Umbridge mad."

"So, anything we do really," smirked George.

Fred nodded. "Just a little bit longer. Then we'll be done."

-----

Christmas break ended. Before they knew it, they were back at Hogwarts. Back under Umbridge's tyrannical rule.

January passed quickly and without incident. And finally, February had arrived. Fred had been anxiously awaiting February since had seen the dates for Hogsmeade weekends. The next one would be on Valentine's Day. It was perfect. He was going to ask Hermione to Hogsmeade with him.

He had to find the right moment and way to ask her. It couldn't be immediately before or after classes, she'd be too preoccupied with her thoughts. (And during class was completely out of the question. Hermione would kill him for interrupting her learning.) She couldn't be doing her homework, she'd say "no" for him just interrupting her. Meals were a possibility, but he knew Harry and Ron would be there, listening to everything he'd say. He didn't want that. So, he chose the library.

He skipped dinner the Monday before the Hogsmeade trip. He knew Hermione would come in after dinner. So, he sat at the table he knew Hermione always sat at and he waited.

As predicted, Hermione went straight for the table, a mountainous pile of books in her hands. He stood up when he saw her and took some of the books out of her hands. "Merlin, Granger, are you reading the entire library?"

"Just most of it," she said. "What are you doing in here? I thought you hated the library."

"I do," he answered. "I just wanted to ask you something." She placed her books, and the ones in Fred's hands, on the table. "Alright, what is it?"

"Hogsmeade next weekend," he stated confidently. Hermione raised an eyebrow in her surprise.

"Y-yes, it is," she answered.

"It's on Valentine's Day," Fred continued.

"Yes," she said slowly. He took a deep breath.

"Hermione Granger, will you go to Hogsmeade with me on Saturday?"

"Yes, Fred, I'd love to go with you," she told him.

He cracked a broad smile. "Brilliant, brilliant." He rubbed the back of his neck nervously. "I'll meet you in the Common Room at ten, alright?"

"Alright," she smiled. Fred glanced down at the books. Now that he had finally asked her out, he noticed how hungry he was. If he hurried, he could catch the last few minutes of dinner.

"Well, I'll leave you to your homework." Before Fred could move, Hermione continued.

"I have to be at the Three Broomsticks at noon."

Fred frowned, then raised an eyebrow curiously. "What're you up to, Granger?"

"Nothing," she answered, "I just have to meet Luna, Harry, and Rita at noon."

"Rita? Rita Skeeter?" Fred said. Hermione nodded. "Do you mind if I join you?"

"No, not at all," she said quickly. "I-I'd like that."

"Brilliant."

-----

Hermione waited anxiously for Saturday's arrival. The morning of the Hogsmeade trip, Hermione woke up early. She dressed in her nicest clothes and even managed to tame the wildness of her hair.

She was surprised Fred had asked to go to Hogsmeade with him. She hadn't expected him to. She hadn't forgotten that he had dated Alicia Spinnet. The woman was gorgeous and Hermione was just plain. She had hoped he would ask her, but she didn't really believe it was going to happen.

She was more than excited. Today, was going to be perfect.

She hadn't told Harry and Ron that she would be spending the day with Fred. She certainly hadn't told them about her crush. But perhaps, they already knew. Fred and Hermione had been closer over that last month. Fred and George now sat with them at every meal and walked with them in the halls. Even studied with them. Maybe, they already knew.

Hermione, now ready for the day, left her room and made her way down to the Common Room. Harry was there, looking nervous. He would be spending the day with Cho Chang. Hopefully, he wouldn't mess it up. "Now, remember, Three Broomsticks at noon."

"I remember," mumbled Harry in annoyance. She gave him an encouraging smile before he left the Common Room to spend the day with Cho.

"Hermione?" Fred said from behind her. His usual smirk was replaced with a genuine smile. He held his arm out to her. Smiling, she took it immediately. "You look great today, by the way."

"Thank you, Fred," she said, blushing a little. Their walk to Hogsmeade was silent for a little while before Hermione asked, "What is George doing today?"

"He's with Angelina," he replied. "Not sure what he had planned for her. He said something about a picnic, but it might be too cold for that."

"So, I can assume that we won't be sitting in the snow with a small basket of food?" Hermione guessed. Fred laughed a little and shook his head.

"No, that is not in the plan for today. But if you ever do want to do that, I can keep that in mind for next time." Will there be a next time? Hermione thought excitedly. Instead of asking about that, Hermione inquired what they would be doing that day. "Thought we might stop at the Tomes and Scrolls. I thought you might like that."

"I most certainly would," she replied. He knew her too well. The first place she wanted to visit was the bookstore.

"After that, I reckoned we'd be heading over to the Three Broomsticks for your meeting," Fred continued. "I wasn't sure how long that'd take. So, I figured we could just go around to the shops after that."

"Sounds like a rather pleasant day," Hermione said.

"Hope so."

They didn't spend longer than an hour in Tomes and Scrolls. Fred had to remind her twice that she had a meeting and couldn't stay in the bookstore all day. She looked like she was going to argue with him both times. In the end, she only left the store with two books. (Both of which, Fred had insisted on paying.)

The walk to the Three Broomsticks was cold and Hermione was thankful when they reached their destination. She took a seat at a table in the corner of the room, where her conversation would be more private. She knew Fred was wondering about the meeting, but he didn't ask any more questions about it. Just as well, he'd understand soon enough.

Luna arrived first and took a seat beside Fred. She immediately launched into a story that was in the last Quibbler issue. Fred listened and nodded like he understood half of what she was saying.

Rita Skeeter came in shortly after that. She looked slightly annoyed by the whole occasion. Hermione knew she didn't want to be there, but she needed to be. This was how they were going to get the word around Hogwarts, this was how they were going to make everyone understand the truth of what happened that night.

She had been careful not to tell Harry too much about the meeting. If she even mentioned the night that Cedric died, Harry got defensive. She knew that Harry blamed himself for what happened that night. He did that a lot. He blamed himself for things he couldn't control.

They waited five minutes before Hermione saw Harry talking to Hagrid. "Harry! Harry, over here!" she shouted. He sighed and walked over to where she was sitting with Fred, Luna, and Rita. She could see the surprise flicker across Harry's face at the sight of Luna and Rita.

"You're early!" she exclaimed. "I thought you were with Cho, I wasn't expecting you for another hour at least!"

"Finally asked her out, Harry?" Fred said. "Good on you, mate. How'd it go?"

"Cho?" Rita said. She twisted around in her seat to look at Harry fully. "A girl?" She started looking through her crocodile-skin handbag.

"It's none of your business if Harry's been with a hundred girls," Hermione said coolly. "So you can put that away right now." She had told Rita this wasn't going to be a gossip article, it wasn't about that.

"What are you up to?" Harry wanted to know, sitting down and staring from Rita to Luna to Fred to Hermione.

"Little Miss Perfect was just about to tell me when you arrived," Rita stated, taking a large slurp of her drink. "I suppose I'm allowed to talk to him, am I?" Hermione was regretting asking Rita Skeeter to come. Honestly, could be so hard to write an article? The woman was vile.

"Yes, I suppose you are," Hermione said coldly.

"Pretty girl, is she, Harry?" Rita asked.

"One more word about Harry's love life and the deal's off and that's a promise," Hermione stated irritably. She glanced at Fred. He was sitting contently beside her, enjoying the show. Maybe telling him he could come to the meeting was a bad idea after all. What was he going to think of her after this?

"What deal?" Rita asked. "You haven't mentioned a deal yet, Miss Prissy, you just told me to turn up. Oh, one of these days..." She took a deep shuddering breath.

"Yes, yes, one of these days you'll write more horrible stories about Harry and me," Hermione said indifferently. "Find someone who cares."

"They've run plenty of horrible stories about Harry this year without my help," Rita muttered. She glanced at Harry then. "How has that made you feel, Harry? Betrayed? Distraught? Misunderstood?"

"He feels angry, of course," Hermione said in a hard, clear voice. "Because he's told the Minister of Magic the truth and the Minister's too much of an idiot to believe him."

"So you actually stick it to, do you, that He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is back?" Rita asked. The venom in her voice disappeared for a moment. She wasn't a reporter for a moment, she genuinely wanted to know, along with the rest of the Wizarding World, what had happened the night Cedric Diggory died. And then, the moment passed. "You stand by all this garbage Dumbledore's been telling everybody about You-Know-Who returning and you being the sole witness-"

"I wasn't the sole witness," spat Harry. "There were a dozen-odd Death Eaters there as well. Want their names?"

"I'd love them," Rita replied excitedly. She fumbled in her bag again, looking for her quill. She glanced over at Hermione for a moment. "But, of course, Little Miss Perfect wouldn't want that, would she?"

"Stop calling her that," Fred said with a frown on his face. "Merlin, no wonder everyone hates you." Rita glared at him.

"As a matter of fact," Hermione continued, "that's exactly what Little Miss Perfect does want." Fred, Harry, and Rita stared at Hermione as if she'd gone crazy. Meanwhile, Luna sang "Weasley Is Our King" dreamily, seemingly out of the conversation completely.

"You want me to report what he says about You-Know-Who?"

"Yes, I do," Hermione replied. "The true story. All the facts. Exactly as Harry reports them. He'll give you all the details, he'll tell you the names of the undiscovered Death Eaters he saw there, he'll tell you what V-Voldemort looks like now." At the name of Voldemort's name, Rita jumped so badly that she spilled half her glass of firewhiskey on herself.

"The Prophet wouldn't print it. In case you haven't noticed, nobody believes his story. Everyone thinks he's delusional. Now, if you let me write the story from that angle-"

"We don't need another story about Harry's lost his marbles," said Hermione angrily. "We've had plenty of those already, thank you! I want him given the opportunity to tell the truth!"

"There's no market for a story like that!"

"You mean the Prophet won't print it because Fudge won't let them," Hermione said irritably. She was so tired of how everyone was treating Harry because they thought he was lying. He needed a chance to explain what had happened that night.

"All right, Fudge is leaning on the Prophet, but it comes to the same thing. They won't print a story that shows Harry in a good light. Nobody wants to read it. It's against the public mood. This last Azkaban breakout has got people quite worried enough. People just don't want to believe You-Know-Who's back."

"So the Daily Prophet exists to tell people what they want to hear, does it?" said Hermione scathingly. Rita sat up straight again, her eyebrows raised, and drained her glass of firewhiskey.

"The Prophet exists to sell itself, you silly girl," she said coldly.

"My dad thinks it's an awful paper," said Luna, chipping into the conversation unexpectedly. Sucking on her cocktail onion, she gazed at Rita with her enormous, protuberant, slightly mad eyes. "He publishes important stories that he thinks the public needs to know. He doesn't care about making money." Rita looked disparagingly at Luna.

"I'm guessing your father runs some stupid little village newsletter?" she said. " 'Twenty-five Ways to Mingle with Muggles' and the dates of the next Bring-and-Fly Sale?"

"No," said Luna, dipping her onion back into her gillywater, "he's the editor of The Quibbler." Rita snorted so loudly that people at a nearby table looked around in alarm.

" 'Important stories he thinks the public needs to know'?" she said witheringly. "I could manure my garden with the contents of that rag."

"Well, this is your chance to raise the tone of it a bit, isn't it?" said Hermione pleasantly. "Luna says her father's quite happy to take Harry's interview. That's who'll be publishing it." Rita burst into laughter.

"The Quibbler! You think people will take him seriously if he's published in the Quibbler?"

"Some won't," Hermione answered. "But I think people want to know the truth. The Prophet is obviously not telling the people something. I think they might want to know the full story, regardless of where it comes from."

"All right, let's say for a moment I'll do it," Rita said, eyeing Hermione. "What kind of fee am I going to get?"

"I don't think Daddy exactly pays people for the magazine. They do it because it's an honor, and of course, to see their names in print." Rita looked as though she had been slapped.

"I'm supposed to do this for free?"

"Well, yes," said Hermione calmly, taking a sip of her drink. "Otherwise, as you very well know, I will inform the authorities that you are an unregistered Animagus."

"I don't suppose I've got any choice, have I?" said Rita, her voice shaking slightly. She opened her crocodile bag once more, withdrew a piece of parchment, and raised her Quick-Quotes Quill.

"Daddy will be pleased," said Luna brightly. A muscle twitched in Rita's jaw.

"Okay, Harry?" said Hermione, turning to him. "Ready to tell the public the truth?"

"I suppose," said Harry, watching Rita balancing the Quick-Quotes Quill at the ready on the parchment between them.

"Fire away, then, Rita."

-----

Fred was quiet after the meeting. He had no idea what Harry had really seen that night. He knew You-Know-Who was back. He knew that Harry had fought him, but that was it. Harry had always been reluctant to give the details. He knew why now.

Hermione glanced at Fred nervously as they walked around Hogsmeade. They stopped at Zonko's Joke Shop for a few minutes so Fred could look around. Zonko started a conversation with Fred immediately. For the four years he and George could go to Hogsmeade, they always stopped at Zonko's. It was his store that gave them the desire to own a joke shop, too.

Afterwards, Fred asked Hermione if there was anywhere else she'd like to stop at. She shook her head. "Let's go back to school," Fred suggested. "We'll have a few minutes before dinner."

She nodded. He held his arm out to her, which she took immediately. They walked in silence back to Hogwarts. Finally, Hermione couldn't take it anymore. They had just reached the entrance hall when she asked cautiously, "What did you think of the meeting?"

"Rita's an unregistered animagus?" Fred returned smirking. "I didn't know you were into blackmail, Granger." She smiled and looked away. "You keep saying we need to follow the rules, but you seem to be breaking them more than anyone else." When she wouldn't meet his eyes, he tilted her chin upwards so that she would have to look at him. He was seriously now. "I think it was really amazing what you did today. You're really brilliant, Hermione..."

"Thank you, Fred," she said quietly.

"You know that I fancy you, right?" She looked startled by the news, but she nodded anyway.

"You know that I fancy you, too, right?" she said. Fred smiled broadly.

"Yeah, I do." And before he had the chance to mess it up, Fred leaned down and pressed his lips against Hermione's. Yes, this day had turned out perfectly.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.1K 662 60
Moira (n): a person's fate or destiny. Harry Potter AU. Completed ✔ Trained to be Dark since childhood. . .his endeavours to stop his temptation fail...
6.5K 459 17
This is the story of Ben Warren, who has loved his neighbor, Miranda Bailey, for as long as he remembers. Their love story starts way before they gr...
322K 10.2K 55
I've seen barely any male reader stories for blue lock which is surprising so I just made one (similar to how I started making these in the first pla...
1M 56.1K 36
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Junghoon's ) daughter Mishel...