Under the Gray Willow Tree

By angelyntjf

Meet Willow Rayne, the girl who lost her family on that one fateful day. And now, meet Gray Lopez, the guy wi... More

Foreword
Tapas
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Epilogue

Chapter 21

6.1K 85 24
By angelyntjf

I was drumming my fingers impatiently on my lap as Gray drove the car to wherever it is he wanted to take me to. Surprise, surprise, surprise. But you know what? I hate surprises! But then again, who doesn't? Wait, maybe some people do.

I would've jumped up and down for joy when the car finally – emphasis on the word 'finally' here – came to a stop, but then again, I am sitting in the car, so, if I did, I would either a) injure myself or b) destroy something valuable in the process.

So, I just sat there as my insides leapt up and down for joy for me.

I started to open the car door but Gray locked it. I rolled my eyes. What is he trying to do? Doesn't he know that this method of trying to lock people in is too overused? I lifted my hand to unlock the door for myself when he interrupted me.

"Wait for a sec. Don't go out yet."

I shrugged. "Fine."

He leaned back to grab something in the back seat of the car. I tried to get a glimpse of whatever it was but it was covered with a white cloth, so any attempt of trying to find out what it was by sight proved to be futile.

"Stay here. I'll come and get you soon."

He got out and left me in the car, waiting for him to 'come get me soon' as he claimed.

I tried my best to wait as patiently as possible for Gray to do whatever it is that he wanted to do. I had to wait for a whole five minutes – which feels like a very long time especially if you have absolutely nothing to do – before he came back to get me.

He went over to the passenger's side of the car and opened the door for me.

"Come on," he urged, holding a hand out for me to grab it.

My lips curved up into a smile as I grabbed his hand. "Okay," I nodded as he helped me out of the car. "Let's go, since you seem so jumpy now," I teased.

He chuckled, but didn't say anything in reply.

I let him lead me to wherever it is he wanted to lead me to, without complain. I was just trailing blindly behind him like a chick following its mother hen, or a loyal dog following its owner; without any questions.

"Here we are, Willow," he said, pushing aside some leaves that were blocking him from moving any further.

I looked around, slowly taking in my surroundings. There were loads of leaves hanging down from a tree, forming a curtain of leaves. Small leaves from the tree itself were scattered all around the place.

I could see a blanket sprawled out in the middle of it all, with a picnic basket sitting on one end of the blanket. Small pink cherry blossoms were arranged neatly all around the place, forming a heart shape.

And then, it hit me. I realised exactly where we were. Gray had brought me here, just to celebrate my birthday for me. How sweet!

Gray had brought me under a weeping willow tree.

I am going to have a picnic with Gray under a willow tree to celebrate my birthday.

I simply couldn't believe my eyes. This is all just so... Magical... It all looks too beautiful to be true. Too gorgeous to be real. A genuine mega-watt smile was plastered on my face.

I can't believe I have never noticed the world's beauty before. It's just so wonderful. It's such a wonderful thing. How could I have not noticed Mother Nature before? The wonderful Mother Nature that God Himself invented.

The way the sun reflects the droplets of water on the leaves of the willow. The way the leaves and flowers sway with the wind. The beautiful sound of the birds chirping. The soft, green grass. The sweet smelling flowers. There's no end to its beauty.

And yet, men are destroying it.

This... This really opened my eyes to the beauty of the world. It really and truly is an amazing thing to witness. Not many people know of its beauty. They are blinded by power and fame and fortune to notice all these things. That's why the world is experiencing global warming and corruption and stuff like that nowadays. You know it's true.

"Thank you so much Gray," I breathed, still not believing my eyes.

I watched him smile in relief. "I am so glad you like it."

I heard him mutter something about him taking so long to find the perfect birthday present for me or something; oh, I don't know.

And honestly, I don't really care.

The soft orange light was streaming in through the many small gaps in the leaves. I had a very strong feeling that it was already sunset. But that doesn't make it worst. That just makes it all even more perfect than it already was.

"Come and sit here with ne," Gray called out to me, patting the empty spot next to him for me to sit.

And that was when I realised that he went from standing beside me to sitting on the blanket. Wow, so while people are blinded by love, I am blinded by the beauty of nature.

I walked towards him, completely dazed with awe, and sat down, cross legged right beside him.

He opened the picnic basket and took out two white plates.

"Here you are miss," he said with an accent that I could not identify – I was feeling way too blissed to care – and handed one of the two plates to me, bowing a little as if to pretend being a waiter or servant or something.

I giggled a little – like a child – and smacked him playfully on the head. To tease me, he mocked pain and rubbed the back of his head where I had hit him, as if to add more effect to it.

"That hurt..." he whined, in a somewhat childish tone of voice.

And I burst out laughing.

Only for a while though, because hunger soon overwhelmed the need for laughter.

"What time is it?" I asked, curious.

Gray glanced at his watch. "About 6.30."

No wonder I'm hungry. I haven't eaten since 9 in the morning just now; for breakfast.

"What did you bring in that basket?" I inquired, licking my lips hungrily like a wolf or fox, nodding towards the basket at the same time.

Thank goodness I did not wear lipstick.

But then again, I am not the type to wear that kind of stuff. Only for special occasions. And my birthday doesn't count. Especially not since after the–

No! I am not going to ruin this for myself! No, no thoughts about anything whatsoever! Anything sad anyways. I have got to enjoy myself here! I have rarely done that for so long already. I really should start enjoying life as it is, and not mourn about the past.

Insert snort here. Fat chance.

A sly and cunning grin made its way on his face. I do not like that look! It made me uncomfortable.

"So, what did you bring?"

"You'll see," came the reply.

He opened the picnic basket once more, and took out a... Black blindfold? What? He brought it nearer to my eyes and blindfolded me.

"Now, you can't see anything. You have to wait 'til I've taken out everything," Gray said, and I am pretty sure with a smug look in his face.

I groaned. Must I be blindfolded? Apparently so.

So, I just had to wait; I had no choice anyway, did I?

Wait, no I didn't. I could just untie the blindfold! My fingers fiddled with the knot of the blindfold that was behind my head. But no matter how hard I tried to pull it or untie it, it just wouldn't budge. The knot was a dead know, sadly to say, and only someone who could actually see could untie it.

It took Gray a lot more time than necessary to find and take out all the food that he had brought to the picnic today. He's purposely making me wait, I'm sure of it.

I started drumming my fingers on my lap as I waited considering I couldn't exactly see anything. I feel so sorry for all the blind people in the world; not being able to see the wonders of the world and of nature. I should be really grateful and thankful that my sight is working perfectly fine.

"Willow, you can look now," Gray's soothing voice reached my ears.

"How am I supposed to look if I can't even see? Or untie the stupid knot?" I exclaimed, my voice sounding a bit desperate.

He chuckled. "Chill. Calm down. I'm on it."

I could feel his fingers working on the knot behind my head. And then, the blindfold fell, and light entered my eyes. And I could see my surroundings once again. Being blindfolded made me realise how vulnerable I could feel.

Thank goodness I can see.

My eyes widened in shock and delight after seeing everything he had brought for today's picnic. "Wow. Thank you so much," I gasped, all in one breath.

"No problemo! Glad you like it."

Each dish was merely a small portion, but the types of food that he had brought varies in such a wide range.

Today's dinner would be the best ever!

A bit of all my favourite food ever!

Fresh garden salad, potato wedges, mac and cheese, sausages with mustard, kebab, mini croissant sandwiches, chocolate covered strawberries, fresh grapes, chicken rolls, sushi. Heck! He even brought mini pizzas! With a bottle of 'Lift' lemonade to wash it all down.

"Look," he said to me, holding up the bottle of 'Lift' lemonade. "I even brought your favourite drink; to wash it all down with," he told me, as if echoing thoughts.

Wow.

This is amazing and epic!

I love all of these.

This is the sweetest and the best thing a person could ever do to me.

This will no doubt be the best birthday I've had in quite a while. And it's all thanks to Gray. It's all thanks to him that I can celebrate my birthday like this. It's all thanks to him that I even remembered my birthday this year.

I really love everything that he has done for me. This is really amazing.

A picturesque view and a feast for a girl, all for her birthday. That girl must be very happy right? It must be the best day of her life right? No doubt; this girl is really lucky. I will never be as lucky. Bad luck keeps on befalling me, one after another.

And you know what?

The ironic thing, is that this girl, is me.

__________________

Did you like it? XD Anyways, I have a question for all of you. How does your reads increase so quickly? Pls tell me your trick! It will help me so much! XDD

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.8K 1.7K 39
"I want how it was before. I want it all with you in my life again... I'm asking you to stay." Miles Cobain-Smith An aloof and detached logician, he...
6.2K 661 55
"The fact that I was murdered didn't come as a surprise; it was the fact that it hadn't happened sooner which shocked me." High school senior, Caitly...
72.4K 3.2K 49
Skyler Lopez is a girl, who is... different from others. She knows someone's darkest secret, as soon as she looks into their eyes. She's relieved whe...
8.4K 383 7
You think being a teenager is hard enough as it is. Try being a teenager that has the responsibility of saving people from their own demons and fears...