TEARS FROM THE MOON

By cwwonder

Gwen Stevens is a talented, bright, and very attractive young theatre actress. She is however, quite naive an... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2.
Chapter 3.
Chapter 4.
Chapter 6.
Chapter 7.
Chapter 8.
Chapter 9.
Chapter 10.
Chapter 11.
Chapter 12.
Chapter 13.
Chapter 14.
Chapter 15.
Chapter 16.
Chapter 17.
Chapter 18.
Chapter 19.
Chapter 20.
Chapter 21.
Chapter 22.
Chapter 23.
Chapter 24.
Chapter 25.
Chapter 26.
Chapter 27.
Chapter 28.
Chapter 29.
Chapter 30.
Chapter 31.
Chapter 32.
Chapter 33.
Chapter 34.
Chapter 35.
Chapter 36.
Chapter 37.
Chapter 38.
Chapter 39.
Chapter 40
Chapter 41.
Chapter 42.
Chapter 43.
Chapter 44.
Chapter 45.
Chapter 46.
Chapter 47.
Chapter 48.
Chapter 49.
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52.

Chapter 5.

2.4K 73 6
By cwwonder

"Come on, wake up sleepy head we have a big day ahead of us today". 

A low, deep voice spoke softly into my ear as I tried in vain to open up my terribly stuck down eyelids.

" I've brought you some tea and toast for brekkie, so you really need to wake up.....................before it all goes stone cold". 

The voice carried on.

I grumbled a semblance of a reply, then through my sleepy haze I could hear murmuring voices.

"It's today isn't it?".    Beth's voice was a hushed whisper, although I could still hear her.

"Yes".  Came Marcus's reply,    "From today  onwards we are under the  instruction of Severus Snape himself..............Mr. Alan Rickman".     He mused.

From under my duvet, I smiled at Marcus's little quip, but then my stomach twisted at the realisation of his words.

"We will be alright though, I mean, with him, won't we?".  Beth asked.

"I hope so, but I was speaking to Kyle yesterday and he told me that he'd worked under Alan Rickman before, at The Alyssa a few years ago and he said that he's not altogether a soft touch".    Marcus said in a slightly concerned manner.

"Is he not?".  Beth asked.

"No".  Marcus went on. "He also told me that Alan will think nothing of changing things around if he's not happy about it. I believe he's quite a tough task master. As been known to change the whole cast in some plays he's done". 

"No......not really!".   Beth exclaimed.

" Oh yes, well, so Kyle was saying".  Marcus said.  "To be truthful, I think we all had better watch ourselves, I mean it sounds as if he's really going to put us through our paces".  

"Yes.........I suppose so".    Beth said slowly,    "I mean, its his own reputation on the line as well as ours, after all he is pretty famous and  people will expect us to be good if he's putting his own name to ours".      

"Exactly".   Marcus agreed.

"So?".  Beth went on, "Do you think she's up to it? You know, dealing with all this added pressure, I mean, don't get me wrong, she was pretty good the other week, when he first came to see us". 

A compliment........... from Beth!  I smiled from inside the inner sanctum of my warm, cozy duvet. That was unusual and I was very surprised to hear that!
Funny what people say when they don't think you're listening.

But it didn't last very long, as she continued:

     "But ever since then, she's fallen a part just a bit, don't you think?".  

"She has a bit.............yes........but I'm sure she'll be fine when she really gets used to the idea".   Marcus said.

"Well I hope you're right".  Beth snarled back at him.

To which point, I'd heard quite enough. So I  moved around uncomfortably beneath the duvet on the sofa bed that was situated here in the living room come kitchen area, in the flat that I shared with both Marcus and Beth.

It was a small two bedroom affair, comprising of a narrow hallway that led into the kitchenette, living room area with another door leading to two bedrooms, one only slightly larger than the other and a bathroom.

Since arriving in London I had been to numerous bed and breakfast places that cost the earth to stay in and took all of my money.  Marcus had come to my rescue, offering me the bed settee in the flat that he shared with fellow theatre actress Beth.

It wasn't ideal, sleeping in the living room like this but it was a small price to pay for all the benefits that I enjoyed.
The flat was situated, not far from both the theatre and Jose's restaurant, the two places that I worked, so I had no transport worries at all for I could just walk between the two.
Also, with the three of us here, the cost of the rent and all the other bills were considerably lowered , when split three ways.

For me it had worked out fairly well, although it would have been nice to have my own space, but beggars can't be choosers and all that, and  I was just happy to be able to have Marcus's very kind hospitality.
Even if his long term flat mate wasn't as keen and very often showed it too!

I sat up slowly and pushed a hand lazily through my long, tangled hair, pretending that I had not heard their conversation just now, concerning Alan's new appointment as our new theatre director for this play.
It was quite obvious to me that there would be a world of difference between the way he was going to do things and the way that Hugo had worked. There had to be, otherwise, why would we even bother having him.
Alan would have a wealth of film as well as theatre experience behind him, so it was just up to us to learn from him and do the best we can.

As for me falling a part, a little bit during our last few rehearsal's before Alan took over, well I thought I was pretty much justified to have a bit of a wobble, as long as I got my act together, so to speak, before he started.

Better to have it then and not when he's actually in charge. Especially if he's as bad as they are all saying he is!

"Ahh.........It awakes".    Marcus smiled.
As I gave a fake stretch and a yawn.

"Don't be long".   He went on,  "We don't want to be late now". 

I looked down at the burnt piece of toast and the weak cup of tea that had been placed on the coffee table beside me and winced.
Strong tea and lightly browned toast was how I liked my breakfast. Marcus had successfully been able to get it wrong yet again, although I appreciated the thought.

" I'd better skip breakfast then".   I smiled, swinging my legs around and getting off the sofa bed   "And go straight for a shower instead"

"I don't think there's any hot water left".  Beth said looking at me from over the top of her coffee cup.  "You see we've both had showers earlier this morning whilst you were still asleep"

I glared at her.
It didn't seem to matter to her that I was late in from an exceptional busy shift of washing up over at Jose's last night.
To be honest, she seemed to relish in making things particularly awkward for me.

"I'll stick the emersion on quickly for you".  Marcus said getting up.  "You've got to look your best for Mr. Rickman now haven't you". 

My stomach twisted at his words, then I looked over at Beth who seemed to be grinning at me in a way that made me think that she actually wanted me to fail.

Marcus, Beth and I arrived at the Royal Rose Theatre early together, despite my shower trauma.
A cold shower does wonders for helping you to feel wide awake and invigorated.

But as we arrived, we were met by the stony, pinched face of Norman Henshaw, rolling his small beady eyes at us.

"Hi Norman".  Marcus breezed, ignoring the lithe man's obvious annoyance at us.

"Yes, sorry we're early". Chirped in Beth,  "We want to get things sorted before Mr. Rickman arrives". 

"He's already here".  Norman answered, in his usual deadpan manner.

We all looked at one another in surprised shock.

"Been here over an hour he has".  Norman went on, his voice Mona tonal   "I had to make him two cups of tea in that time". 

Again we looked from one to the other, still shocked.

" There were no biscuits either".   Norman went on, "Comes to something when you can't even offer a biscuit to someone to have with their tea coz some greedy git as eaten them all, with no thought for me or anyone else come to that". 

"Oh God".   Marcus's voice sounded desperate.

" Maybe I should go out now and get some".  Norman went on, "Now that you lot are here, didn't want to leave him on his own now did I.........I mean doesn't look good does it, going off and leaving someone like him on his own while I went out to get biscuits ". 

"Fuck the biscuits!".    Marcus suddenly yelled.    "Where the bloody hell is Alan now?".   He said, panic in his usual calm sounding voice.

Suddenly, a tall figure wearing a brown jacket, a crisp white shirt and grey trousers,  silently seemed to appear before us and looked down a big, hooked shaped nose.

We all stared at him, almost in awe.

"Mr, Rickman!".  Marcus said, his voice now almost a whisper.

Alan Rickman, famous movie star and now our new Director was standing right there in front of us. A slight smile gracing his lips as he had very obviously heard Marcus's little outburst.

"Look, sorry............we weren't expecting you so early..........um".  
Poor Marcus, he didn't know what to say as the big man stood before him.

"The fault lies purely with me".  He spoke slowly in his low, deep, baritone voice.  "I merely arrived early to take a look around, get my bearings, so to speak". 

We all stared at him unable to say anything.

" I do hope you haven't minded too much".   He went on.

Again we stood in silence, just staring at him.
To be honest, I for one,  could not believe that he was actually standing there in front of us....... apologising.

He suddenly cleared his throat and reached into the inside pocket of his jacket and produced a set of keys.

"Ummm........Hugo let me have these, I presume they are a spare set, should I hand them back to you now?".   He asked looking directly at Marcus.

Marcus swallowed hard beside me, not knowing what to say, as it now became clear to us all that Mr. Alan Rickman, movie star, had just let himself in.

"Maybe I'll just hang onto them for a bit then".   Alan spoke having not got a reply from any of us, and proceeded to place the keys back inside his jacket pocket

To be honest, I think we were all pretty much in shock at just being faced with someone as famous as Alan Rickman and actually seeing him standing there, in front of us, well........ we were all rather stuck for words.

Norman, who was still standing alongside us, gave a muffled cough.

"Well............I'll just go and get these biscuits then".   He said, breaking the silence and I noticed Alan smiling at him as the grumpy little man opened the door and quickly made his exit.

I also noticed Beth looking at Alan as if he was some kind of God or something, then her cheeks started to go pink as she then began to speak to him.

"Perhaps we should introduce ourselves".   She said, clasping her hands tightly in front of her.
Rarely had I seen Beth so preoccupied with someone, other than herself, and it sort of surprised me somewhat.

"That would be nice".    Alan replied, very slowly and deliberately with a smile still etched on his face.

"Well.........".     Said Beth, pushing her hands towards her chest in emphasis,  "My name is Beth Fanshaw and I've been with this company for just over 3 years. Prior to that I worked at The Camden and in this particular production I play Rebecca Penfold". 

I stared at her in shock, for this actually sounded like a very well rehearsed speech that she had been practising on all morning.

Alan reached out a large hand towards her and she took it enthusiastically.

"Nice to meet you Beth".   He continued to smile, whilst shaking her hand gently.

"And you too,  Mr. Rickman".   Beth  smiled, her face  glowing with immense admiration

" Oh my dear.........please........... call me Alan".  He smiled, letting go of her hand as he then turned to look at me.

His eyes immediately locked with mine and the smile from his face quickly disappeared, as for a moment, he held my gaze.

Now, it was the turn of my face to turn pink as I was confronted by the green orbs seemingly to look into my very soul and I could also sense Beth staring at me with a look of total confusion.

If she was confused, it was nothing to what I was now feeling!

I held my breath as this very well known and famous of British actors continued to look down at me, his expression, totally unreadable.

Then suddenly, Marcus stepped forward forcing his hand towards Alan and therefore halting his stare at me.

"Marcus Phelps, Sir".   He spoke as Alan turned to look at him, the smile now returning to his lips.

"Hullo".  Alan said, shaking Marcus's hand.

"Really pleased to meet you Sir, this really is such an honour".  Marcus gushed enthusiastically.

Alan's smile began to fade slightly as I sensed that he wasn't really interested in over familiarity.

"So?".  Alan asked, a frown had now etched its way onto his face,   "What's your role in all this?". 

I noticed Marcus puff out his chest as he took in a deep breath and seemed to stand a couple of inches taller as he knew that he had the famous actors full attention.

"I play Roger Crave, the main character in this play and I've been in this company for 5 years now, the same amount of time as Hugo..................in fact, we began here together, and we adore and absolutely love it ". 

Marcus took in a breath, before carrying on.

"Oh,  and I can't begin to tell you how delighted we both are that you've agreed to take us on. It means so much to us all, it really does".  

Alan stared at him, patiently waiting for Marcus to finish, before saying, quietly and gently with a smile:

"Well, I hope that your expectations of me do not end up in disappointment for you, as it would seem that I have quite a reputation to live up to". 

Marcus began to laugh, more out of embarrassment than anything else and was just about to say something more, when Alan turned away from him in order to give me his full attention.
I felt myself blush slightly as his somewhat attractive green eyes met my own once again, but this time there was  a smile upon his lips.

"And I recognise you, you play Amanda  don't  you".   He said confidently.

I stood there and gulped nervously.
He had actually remembered me, hence the reason why he was probably staring at me before.

Alan then brought out his very large right hand to shake mine and I nervously accepted it with my own.

"Very nice to meet you................I'm Amanda".    I blurted out.

He now had hold of my hand but  I also noticed him cock his head to one side as he narrowed his eyes somewhat.

" Your name is Amanda?".   He then asked.

I nodded enthusiastically, but I noticed that he did look a little bewildered.

" Well............that's handy.......".   He said, gently letting go of my hand as I continued to stare to him.

I had suddenly become in awe at his strangely attractive green coloured eyes and was almost lost within them.
He had, in all honesty, an extremely overwhelming persona about him and I had to admit that I was  flattered that he had managed to remember me.

I began to smile at him as I didn't really know what else to say, and his last statement was just a little confusing.

"I'll  look forward to working with you then......................Amanda".    Alan said, giving me another smile.

"What?.......her name isn't Amanda!".   Beth suddenly shrieked out loudly.

Alan turned to look at her, his expression was that of total bewilderment.

But Beth was now looking at me and her face said it all.

"Really Gwen..................fancy telling him your name is Amanda!!!    Ha.......Ha.  What an absolute idiot! ".  

I stared at Beth as it suddenly dawned on me what I had said.

Oh God.
I'd only gone and introduced myself as the character I was portraying in the play!
What a dunce!

I could now feel my cheeks redden uncontrollably and a large lump forced its way into my throat.

I actually thought that I was going to start crying with absolute embarrassment.

But Alan saved the day as he looked down at me kindly, and lowering his voice to an almost whisper, spoke:

" There seems to be a little confusion concerning your name". 

I gulped at him nervously and looked up once again into those very attractive eyes of his and immediately felt better.

"Now then".  He smiled,   "l would be very interested to learn what your name really is".  

Taking a large breath I told him that my name was Gwen, but it came out with such a tiny sqweek that as he tilted his head somewhat, I knew he hadn't heard me.

I did hear a snigger from Beth though.
She was lapping up my embarrassment and loving the fact that I was finding all this rather difficult, whilst she had been instrumental in her seemingly well rehearsed introduction.

I took in another breath and closing my eyes to fully concentrate, I began again.

"Sorry........my actual name is Gwen...........Gwen Stevens".  

I let out a breath.
Success! I thought to myself.
I'd done it.

I then opened my eyes to be greeted with the most gorgeous smile ever imaginable.
This man truly had an amazingly, beautiful expression and for a moment, I was taken a back by his attractiveness.

I felt my breath catching in my chest as Alan then nodded his head at me.

"Very nice to meet you..........Gwen".   He spoke, emphasising my name somewhat.

I stood there, rooted to the spot, just staring at him.
Never before had anyone had such an effect on me and I couldn't really justify the reason why.

I had thought, that I really didn't like him very much and now I felt confused.
Why was this much older man than I,  making such an impact upon me.
I mean, I realised that he was indeed very famous and was idolised tremendously for his parts in the Harry Potter films as well as numerous others, but really I wouldn't have put him as my type................not at all.

Far too old, and far too experienced in the ways of the world, as well as being too famous and too rich.
He was gracious and greying, smooth and superior and I found it impossible to tare my eyes away from him, not even when a loud commotion suddenly erupted from behind us as Hugo, Maya, Alfie and Jayne burst in through the door.

"Oh Alan!".   Hugo exclaimed.  "You're here".  

Alan turned to look at him and with a slight smile on his lips said slowly:

"So it would seem".  

"Oh my God! It's Alan Rickman!".   Jayne squealed.

Alan smiled even more, at her recognition of him and moved forward towards her.
I had quite forgotten that she had not been present when he had seen us perform just a couple of weeks ago, for she had been away on holiday.
I noticed Beth roll her eyes with evident annoyance as Jayne continued to gush embarrassingly about all the films that she'd seen him in.

Alan though, was extremely patient with her and nodded and smiled when appropriate to do so, until Hugo began to usher him away.

"Come on everybody, we do have work to do now. Alan has not come here to make small talk, he's here to over see what you lot can do, so let's not waste anymore of his...........or indeed our time................we've got a play to rehearse".   Hugo said, almost shouting as he pushed his black rimmed glasses, back up his nose for about the hundredth time.

I took in a deep breath and watched as Jayne followed Hugo down the corridor, still trying to speak with Alan as they walked away, followed by Marcus, Beth and Alfie.

Turning towards Maya,as she walked passed, I noticed that she had gone really quiet and looked so very sad.

"Are you alright?".    I asked her, gently reaching out to grab her arm.

She looked at me and nodded slowly,  then quickly shook her head.

"No Gwen...........I'm not really".  

I could now see tears beginning to well up into her eyes and I felt saddened for her.

"What's up?".  I asked.

She gulped and I thought that she was going to suddenly burst into tears.
I felt apprehensive for a moment as Maya was quite a bit older than I was and I wouldn't know how to handle it if she did begin to cry.

"I've been dropped Gwen".   She said suddenly and to the point.  "Hugo's given my part to Jayne, saying that Alan wouldn't tolerate nervousness like mine in a performance".  

"What?".  I asked.  "He cant do that! He's not even given you a chance!". 

Maya gave me a slight smile.

"It's OK...........Hugo's right, he knows what he's talking about. I mean I was extremely nervous when I knew Alan Rickman was watching me, I just fell to pieces......  whereas you............well you.........you just sailed through it. You just didn't seem to care who he was......."

Maya then began to laugh, which was a welcome relief for me.
At least she wasn't about to start crying!

" You know Gwen.........it was just as if you didn't really like him, the performance you gave was so full of gutso".  

Maya then started to chuckle.

"I really admired that about you".   She laughed.  " It was as if your performance was saying to him..........I don't really care who you are, movie star or not..... this is my part, so stuff you!". 

I began to laugh.
Maybe I should tell her that I actually didn't know he was out there.
But with her saying this, it was beginning to give me that much needed confidence to continue with my portrayal of Amanda and not let any one man alone get in the way of my acting prowess.

"Thank you Maya".  I smiled.   "That means a lot, but I still don't really understand why Hugo decided to drop you without giving you a fair chance.............to at least prove yourself. " 

Maya looked down.

"I trust his judgement of me Gwen, I really do. He knows me........... knows what makes me tick....... my strengths and my weaknesses.......particularly my weaknesses".    She said,
Then taking in a deep breath, she went on:  
"He's not as bad as people think he is, not really. Given the chance, he really cares and I trust him totally ". 

I stared at her.
I wouldn't trust Hugo to open a can of pop for me.
Although I didn't worry about working for him, I certainly wouldn't trust him.
In my opinion, Hugo was all out for himself and really couldn't care less about anyone else. I also couldn't believe that his reason for throwing Maya out of the play was purely because he was looking out for her. That was just not his style.
But, from what Maya was saying, she seemed to be under the impression that he was doing it for her sake and not for  his own ill gotten gains.
She seemed very happy about this, and although she was, obviously deeply disappointed at not being in the play, she had accepted the reasons behind it. So although I didn't think it was fair or even right for Hugo to treat her in this way, who was I to disagree.

"Well...........if you're sure".   I said tentatively.

Maya nodded.

"I'm alright now. It was just seeing Alan standing there and with Jayne getting all excited about things.............it just made me feel a bit sad, that's all..................but listen..........."

She then made a grab for my hands and smiled broadly at me even though I could see the tears welling in her eyes, once again,  she was trying her dam ness to appear happy.

"I really want you to knock them dead with your acting Gwen".   Maya said encouragingly.

I smiled at her and rolled my eyes in mock exasperation.

" I mean it now".   She went on, firmly,   "You must do it, not only for the theatre or your fellow actors or even for Alan flaming Rickman! But for you. Like I said before Gwen, you have a great talent. You have to use it".  

I nodded my head at her, as she shook at my hands.

"I'll be watching from the wings, rooting for you all the way. And that will give me as big a thrill as anything".   

"Thank you Maya, that means a lot".   I smiled at her and was just about to launch myself towards her in an embrace, when the dulcet tones of Hugo came dancing down the corridor towards us.

"What are you doing?".   He raged, striding towards us.

I also noticed Maya's face turn bright scarlett as he approached us.

"Don't you realise that we're all waiting for you!".  He stormed.

I took a deep breath in order to explain, but Maya beat me to it.

"I'm sorry Hugo, it's my fault................I kept Gwen talking, I'm to blame".  

He glared at her for a moment.

" Well it looks as though I made the right decision then doesn't it".  He murmured.  "Your professionalism seems to be sadly lacking at the moment. Its nothing short of rude to keep the likes of Alan Rickman waiting you know".  

Maya bowed her head down and I felt so very sorry for her. 
Hugo could have a cold tongue when it suited him.

"I'll go and get ready".  I stated, as my tone was that of total dislike at how he had spoken to such a nice, kind, gentle sort of person such as Maya.

But Hugo clearly hadn't noticed my curt response to him as he carried on angrily:

" Yes, you'd better.........I mean it's not as if Maya as anything to get ready for now as she. She had no right to hold you up". 

I shot him a look of pure anger and opened my mouth to say something, only to notice, from the corner of my eye, Maya furiously shaking her head at me.
So instead, I took a deep, dignified breath, turned and walked away from him, back down the corridor towards the dressing rooms.

Slamming open the door in a hail of temper, I couldn't help my outburst as I walked in.

"How dare he! Who on earth does  Hugo bloody Martinez think he is!!!! ".    I ranted angrily.  

"Hugo Martinez".   Beth answered lazily, with a sarcastic smile towards me.

I glared at her, then sat down with a thump onto the nearby leather armchair and  frantically tore off my shoes.

"We didn't deserve to be spoken to like that".    I carried on,    "And poor Maya, I feel gutted for her................. he's been so  brutal".  

"Well..... if she's just not up to it, in my opinion, he's done the right thing,  I mean we don't want her to go all to pieces now in front of Alan,  Goodness......can you just imagine..............".  Beth quipped, as she applied powdered pink blusher to her face.  

I sucked in my breath as I watched her stroke the brushes up over her cheeks and really wished that I had the courage to go right over there and redden them up even more with a perfectly placed slap.

"He's just a bit stressed.......that's all".   Jayne smiled at me, pulling her long dark hair into a tight bun with several dozen hair grips.     " I'm sure he doesn't mean anything by it............and as for Maya...........I wouldn't be too worried about her, she knows her limitations. Hugo was doing her a favour to be honest".  

I glared even harder at Jayne, because of course she would say that. Maya's loss was her gain for she herself had now got the part of scorned wife Elizabeth Crave in this play instead of Maya.  

I then huffed to myself.
Wasn't anyone bothered about how poor Maya must be feeling right now?
Didn't they even care?

I went to the wardrobe and pulled out the red 50's style dress that I was to wear and gave it a quick shake.
It was a lovely dress. Norman, to his credit, had done really rather well and I simply loved wearing it.

Pulling off my jumper and t shirt and sliding off my jeans, I was down to my underwear when Marcus suddenly walked in with Alfie right behind him.
Shocked at the sudden intrusion I grabbed my dress and held it closely towards me but Marcus was not bothered, although Alfie clearly was and immediately looked away.

"Haven't you heard of knocking before entering a Ladies dressing room?".   Jayne asked haughtily.

Marcus looked around nervously, ignoring her retort.

"I'm looking for................".   He said, and suddenly made eye contact with me,   "Ah Gwen,  Mr Rickman, ............um I mean Alan wants you on....... now".   

I stared at him.

"What?".   Beth said, swinging around from the mirror.  "I thought he wanted us to run through the whole play, you know from the beginning".   

Marcus shrugged his shoulders.

"Apparently not..............he wants to see Gwen and I have the scene where we have our altercation". 

Beth turned around to face the mirror once again and huffed.

"That's a strange way of doing things if you ask me. Wouldn't it be more prudent to see the whole thing from start to finish".  She went on,  "After all, that's how I'd do it".   

"Well............excuse me for pointing out the obvious my dear, but your not Alan Rickman are you".    Marcus smiled.

I couldn't help a sly smirk to myself at Marcus's brilliant put down, made even better as it was aimed at Beth.
But Marcus was in no mood for any sort of oneupmanship between us, as he turned quickly towards me and continued:

" So you'd better hurry up and get yourself ready Gwen, he's waiting".   

I stood there glaring at him, still holding the dress to myself, without moving.
Alfie caught the situation immediately.

" Um......don't you think we'd better leave Gwen to get changed then".     He suggested, looking at me shyly from around the door.

"What?".   Marcus frowned.

"Gwen....needs to get dressed".    Alfie suggested.

Marcus looked at me again and I half smiled at him in return. It wasn't in his personality to read the obvious in  certain situations and with us actually living together, although not in the conventional sense, Marcus hadn't realised that I wouldn't want to let him see me getting dressed.

He shook his head in annoyance and let out a disgruntled sigh.

"Well hurry up then...............Hugo's doing his nut out there".    He grumbled and turned to make his exit, leaving a slightly embarrassed Alfie stood in his wake.

I smiled at the shy, quiet man who nodded at me in return, before gently closing the door behind him.

I then began to pull the dress on over my head and ruffle up my hair with my fingertips in an attempt to make it look a bit more lively.

"Funny that, don't you think........".    Beth said, eventually as she continued to apply her makeup.

Jayne was now pulling on a pair of calf length boots and was getting very red faced in the process.

" What's that?".  She breathed.

"Well....our esteemed Mr. Rickman should want to see the penultimate act of the whole play first and in particular the part which requires the most acting from Miss. Stevens, it's as if he needs to see what exactly she can do".    Explained Beth with a sarcastic grin.   "Maybe he doesn't feel she's quite up to it".  

My stomach very suddenly twisted and I took in a deep breath.

"I mean".   Beth continued,   "The poor love couldn't even remember her own name...........introduced herself to him as Amanda".   

Jayne looked up from her boot pulling and I could see sympathy flash within her eyes, as Beth continued to laugh.

I swallowed hard, reaching for my pair of black, shiny patent leather shoes and trying not to let Beth's tormenting words upset me further,  I began to squeeze my feet into the shoes.
Norman hadn't been quite so good at choosing these for me and had grossly underestimated the size of my feet for these were at least two sizes smaller than I actually wore.

Jayne was now stood up and walked over to me, then bending down, she gently began to help ease my feet into the shoes.

"This is just like being in Cinderella".    She spoke softly,  "You know with the glass slipper".  

I looked down at her and smiled as she glanced up at me.

"And just like Cinderella, you'll be transformed once you get out there on that stage, to a wonderful, beautiful and talented actress..........just you see..........there, they're on now".    Said Jayne looking up at me once again.
  "And for the record.......I do feel for Maya, I really do, but honestly Gwen, she's so infatuated by Hugo, she'd do anything he said,  jump through fire if he asked her to, so try not to worry about her, she's fine".  

I nodded slowly, although I did not really believe her words about anything, especially Maya......and as for the talented actress thing..............well that was completely wrong.

However  kind it was meant to be.

I suddenly now got to my feet and smoothed down the front of my dress with clammy hands, before taking a deep breath, and making for the door.

Then, opening it quickly, I was through it before anyone could wish me luck or even say anything.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

750 3 21
Once they finished Beauty and the Beast play Ricky convinces himself that Lily isn't a bad person after all. They start dating and nini has to deal w...
785 2 29
This is book two, a sequel of The Gifts of Love. Please go and read that before reading this as you will not know what has happened before the start...
23 0 15
Hi this is my first story Lily is a 22 year old actress who was invited to the London film festival. When she shows up there with her best friend Se...