The Alpha Next Door ✓

De popclouds

Dee Evans is only 16 years old when she finds out she's mated to her best friend, Dominic-- The charming Beta... Mais

Before You Start This Story...
Chapter 1- "Happy birthday, Dee"
Chapter 2- "Ugly little reindeer"
Chapter 3- "Just my luck"
Chapter 4- "We won the bet"
Chapter 5- "I got kicked out"
Chapter 6- "Do I look like a serial killer to you?"
Chapter 7- "I'm not a stalker, love,"
Chapter 8- "Shakespeare was secretly gay"
Chapter 9- "She'd killed a Smurf"
Chapter 10- "Fallen in love with a library"
Chapter 12- "You remind me of a chipmunk with rabies"
Chapter 13- "High-five her face with a stapler"
Chapter 14- "My wife just looks like a fetus for her age"
Chapter 15- "Alex, what the flying fuck are you doing?"
Chapter 16- "I'd get you a pineapple right now"
Chapter 17- "Where does she hide those legs?"
Chapter 18- "The cries of a broken wolf"
Chapter 19- "I'm on a prank show"
Chapter 20- "You can't sleep in here, fucknuckle!"
Chapter 21- "Hungry, tired, and utterly hopeless"
Chapter 22- "Dest, get in the goddamned bed, now."
Chapter 23- "Shut the hell up, you perv."
Chapter 24- "I don't want to sound cheesy"
Chapter 25- "Your head is on my boobs"
Chapter 26- "The world works in strange ways"
Chapter 27- "Claw the guy's face out"
Chapter 28- "The day you grow taller than me"
Chapter 29- "Damn girl, you really are a Luna"
Chapter 30- "Tripping on a flat sidewalk"
E p i l o g u e- "Food over bae, anyday"
A Note

Chapter 11- "I don't think I wan't a sugar daddy"

34.9K 1.2K 130
De popclouds

*Remember to vote! :D*

"You know, Destiny, you're doing quite well at this job so far. You're working very efficiently, so today you'll be working on the emails and lists," Luna Arcadia beamed, her golden eyes bright. "I'm actually not surprised though, I've seen you run off to the library multiple times this week. That's when I knew you were perfectly capable of doing this job!"

I grinned. Not only was I doing well in my pack job but the Luna actually noticed what a huge book-nerd I was. 

"Our delivery man is actually a very avid reader himself, he's constantly reading in between his breaks," she added. 

I was about to ask about the delivery man when a voice yelled out, startling the both of us,

"Arcadia! Kate needs you!" The authoritative voice lovingly called the Luna by her first name. Although Alpha Jace came across as a scary man, he was a softy at heart.

Luna Arcadia rolled her eyes and then waved apologetically at me, dashing off to tend to her husband and daughter. They were such a cute family.

I stood there at my desk, not knowing what to do. I still had a ton of work left, but the Luna had forgotten to give me the password for the pack email.

 I sat down in my spinning chair and spun around, letting my mind drift away. I thought about the delivery man who "loved to read", did he have any good book recommendations? I suddenly snickered, imagining a plump man with a thick mustache and a semi-bald head, sitting in his car reading a book while--

"Why are you spinning around in your chair looking lost?"

I spinned around to see Alexander looming over me. His golden brown hair was rumpled and  his green eyes were filled to the brim with amusement.

"Because I am," I snorted, adjusting my glasses. It was time to bring the sassy part of the old Dee back. I was definitely way more comfortable in this pack now.

"Aren't you always lost?" He rolled his eyes.

"So are you going to help me or are you going continue being useless and stare at my small height?" I asked. "Not everyone in this pack is a giant."

"5 year old. . . " He mumbled under his breath. I elbowed him, hard.

"Help me, you old man," I demanded.

"Chill, I'm coming fetus," he replied, logging into the desktop computer and opening up the email.

I found it funny how only three weeks ago, we'd been merely strangers to one another and now we were practically brother and sister.

Alex showed me the email and password and explained a few things. I thanked him but still had one question.

"So, who's this famous delivery man I gotta' give this to?" I questioned.

He raised an eyebrow. "I'm famous?"

I almost fell off my chair in a burst of laughter. Alex was the freaking delivery guy? The image of the bald mustached man popped into my head which made me laugh even harder.

"What?" He asked. I kept laughing, unable to stop. "Destiny, holy shit. I don't know when you're going to stop laughing at whatever, but leave the finished lists on the desk in my room every Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday."

I made myself calm down and I apologized.

"Alright, sorry. My room, your desk, got it, chief. Or should I say. . . Delivery man?" I smothered a laugh.

He sighed, giving me an annoyed smile.

"Get to work Dest, it's Wednesday. I'll catcha' later," he waved.

I said bye and began sorting through emails in my spinning chair which I grew to love quickly. Every once in a while, the image of the chubby delivery man would come into my head and I'd need to pretend to cough to suppress my laughter. The other people in the room at their desks gave me weird looks. Oh well. 

When I finished the list and cleared all of the emails, the others gave me even weirder looks than before. I ignored them and stretched, tired from sitting in the chair for over two hours. Eager to get out of the office room, I snatched the completed list and wandered out of the room.

Going through the kitchen, I smiled at Molly and Kevin who beamed back at me. I think they liked me better now, as the past few weeks I'd been chatting with them over breakfast, listening to their humorous stories. I even told them a bunch of stories about Dom and I. Of course I never mentioned his name, but with two kids that resembled him and I so closely, I couldn't miss the opportunity of telling them stories of our own.

I winked at Kevin, and he tossed me a cookie from afar. I jumped and caught it with my mouth and almost moaned. It was a red velvet cookie, my favourite flavour, baked to warm perfection, almost too perfect for this world. I could hear them snicker as I snagged a few more cookies and dashed to the third floor. 

When I made it to the front of the turquoise door, I was about to open the door when I noticed it was locked. I even heard voices inside of the room and I realized it was Lucy. . . and Alex.

"I don't understand," she cried with clear frustration in her voice.

"Come on, Lucy," Alex sighed. "Christmas is less than two months away, you can't just do that!" I could tell that he was frustrated as well, which was surprising since he was always so calm. But even so, his voice was gentle as usual.

"Yes, I can," Lucy replied fiercely.  What the hell were they even fighting about?

"Lucy," he said, his voice even softer than before, giving me goosebumps. "Hey, hey don't cry, please,"

And that was all it took for me to back away slowly away from the quarrel that was clearly none of my business. My mind couldn't even process what possibly could've been happening. Did mates normally fight like this? I could tell by Alex's voice that there was so much love in it, he was so delicate with her. Lucy, on the other hand was full of fire and ice at the same time. Their personalities were so wildly different yet somehow contrasted. 

Still backing away slowly, a wave of sadness rolled through me out of nowhere. It really sucked how much people took each other for granted. You never knew how much someone meant to you until you lost them. 

"Woah, you okay? You almost ran into me there." A pair of steady hands were on my shoulders. I spun around to see a startled Fox. When he saw my face, his smile faded.

"What's wrong, sunshine?" He asked, concern taking over his voice.

I swallowed the lump in my throat and forced myself to stand straight.

"Nothing," I lied, releasing the fierce grip I had on the list. He just stood there, dazed. He ran a hand through his light blond hair.

"Um well okay. . " he replied awkwardly, not quite believing me. I was about to apologize when I heard a loud door slam. Fox's blue eyes widened as a flustered Lucy stormed past us, an angry aura surrounding her.

I turned around to see Alex, lost in thought as he went back into his room and closed the door. I could see those green eyes filled with despair. 

"Fox, I think I'm going to go check up on him," I said. He nodded and trotted off.

I walked up to the door and took a deep breath before knocking on it. Maybe Alex needed space, but sometimes when someone you loved hurt you, you'd drown in your thoughts. I knew the feeling all too well. It hurt even more to be alone, and no one should go through that, especially not Alex. 

When I finally came around to knocking on the door, Alex opened the door almost immediately, his green eyes hopeful. But the look faltered when he noticed it was just me. My stomach involuntarily lurched, I had always gotten that look from people in my old pack. The look people gave you when you're just the second choice, and not the first.

"I-- Uh," What the hell would I say? "Um, here's the list," I handed it to him and without saying a word he scanned it over and knitted his eyebrows.

"What?" I said, standing on my tip toes trying to peer over his shoulders. 

"How did you manage to get this all done so fast? As far as I can tell, there aren't any mistakes on here. Nice job, fetus," he said, clearly impressed.

Whatever sadness was in him a few seconds ago had been masked. He hid it from me and I didn't want that. I just wanted him to confide in me and trust me. But If I asked him about it, then he'd find out that I'd been eavesdropping.

"Thanks," I grinned. I stepped into the room, and dived onto the bed. I undid my messy side braid and sunk into the bed, closing my eyes in bliss. I lifted one eye open a moment later to catch Alex staring at me from afar.

"Psssst, what's up?" I whispered. He blinked then smiled his crooked smile.

"Sorry, it's just weird to see someone else in my bed," he replied, placing the list on his desk.

"So now what, I just have the rest of the day off?" I closed my eyes again. That sounded nice; just me and the bed, for the rest of the day, surrounded by the many gray pillows and the soft blue blanket. Yeah, that sounded absolutely amazing for a loner like me.

"Well since you finished so fast, then yeah. I still can't believe you're actually good at something," he sighed.

I shot up from my position and sat up straight.

"Hey, what's that supposed to mean?" I glared. "I'm good at a lot of other things! Like. . Like walking and reading effortlessly!"

Alex laughed and it made me feel a thousand times better knowing that it was a real one. It wasn't nice to him so upset.

"I assume you're just going to sleep, read, or eat when you're not working?" He asked, perching on the edge of the bed.

"You know me so well, old guy," I said, contently flopping back into the pillows.

"I've been watching you for three weeks now, you're pretty easy to read, fetus," he commented, flopping back on the foot of his bed. He yawned and looked like he could stay in that position forever.

"Woah, you're such a creep! Why have you been watching me?" I chortled. "I get it, I'm super pretty but I don't think I want a sugar daddy."

He laughed even more this time which soon got me laughing along as well.

"Me, a sugar daddy? Dest, first of all, I'm not that old, I'm only 20. And second of all, I work two freaking jobs, I don't think I'm even rich enough to be one, so I'll pass," he grinned. 

I didn't say anything this time, but just watched Alex at the foot of his bed looking exhausted. I could tell he was a hard worker, and it seemed like he hadn't gotten any proper sleep in a while. He seemed tired in general, not only physically but mentally. Whatever was going on between him and Lucy clearly was draining him even more and I wished that there was something I could do to help.

Eventually, his breathing became steady and shallow, so I slipped off of the bed as stealthily as I could which was easy since I was on the other side of the bed. I swiftly grabbed the plush blue blanket and lightly draped it over him. He needed his alone time and unquestionably some real sleep. 

I grabbed my coat, my boots, and of course, my book. I guess I would read somewhere else and outside on the massive marble porch sounded nice. Although there was a crazy amount of snow for late October, I liked it for some reason. It had its elegant charm.

As I silently made it outside, I found an unoccupied cozy chair at the side of the big porch. I sat down and rested my book on my lap, giving myself time to think.

Christmas was coming soon and it gave me an uneasy feeling. Even though I really loved my new pack so far, I don't think that I'd survive the holidays without my closest friends. I remembered how Amber and I would always go shopping together last minute to get everyone presents. On some nights, Arizona and I would sneak into Amber's room in the dead of the night to watch tacky holiday movies. I remembered how I'd be running around the small wooden packhouse helping around with small odd jobs and frequently getting scolded by old people. But the memory that I loved the most was on every Christmas Eve. Dom would come into my room and we'd stay up until midnight to give each other our presents first. 

I couldn't just let go of these things, yet we were all split up now; Arizona moved away to God knows where, Amber was living in a whole new pack with her mate, and Dom and I were on the other sides of the country with a jeopardized friendship. Who knew things were going to turn out like this?

My eyes became misty.

No, I told myself. You're not weak anymore. Not everyone receives a second chance to practically restart their life.

I took a reassuring breath and shivered when the icy cool air filled my lungs. I shook my head and finally opened my book and began reading. 

***********************************************************************

Hellloooo readers! I cannot believe this story has over 5k reads, my mind can't process it. 

Anyways, sorry that things are quite slow in the story right now, but don't worry because the plot will move. I hope you're enjoying it so far! 

So what's going on between Alex and Lucy? Will Destiny find a love life? Am I going to stop asking questions??? Well y'all are gonna have to keep reading to find out :))

(Btw, I should be sleeping right now, and I'm kinda half dead, so if there are any errors, please feel free to comment. Thankssss)

Anyways, I'll catcha' later ✌️

-Popclouds 

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

172K 8.5K 38
Elle has never really seen the outside world. All her life she's been secluded and the only person she's ever really known is her father. But when...
133K 3.2K 20
Cordelia Gray and her twin Connor Gray were born during the war between werewolf packs. The war lasted longer than any of the packs would've guessed...
792K 21.7K 40
Book One Nikita Anderson, a young werewolf from the Blood Moon pack. Shortly after her twentieth birthday she soon realizes that she is mated to none...
6.4M 85.3K 23
[highest ranking #80 in werewolf] "I can't handle this anymore Elijah." I said angrily as tears run down my cheeks. He looked at me with pity swirlin...