Brothers - Lennon/McCartney

By HelloLittleReader

After being left by his parents at a young age and forced upon his aunt Mimi, John finds it difficult to conc... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven

Chapter Five

209 11 32
By HelloLittleReader

***

Paul straightened his school uniform and tapped another boy on his back. The boy turned around and furrowed his eyebrows.

'Paul?'

'Hey! Do you remember me telling you about that band I'm in?' He asked.

'I think you mentioned it on the school bus, why?'

'Well- we're looking for a lead guitarist and you play, don't you?' He questioned.

The boy grinned. 'Yeah I do.'

'Do you fancy showing off your skills to the others tonight?' Paul asked. The boy thought about it before saying,

'Alright, when?'

'I'll see you at the bus stop at 8.' Paul said before walking away.

Paul explained to his dad that he was going out, not giving too many details about who with or what he would be doing because he didn't know himself. He just promised he'd be back by midnight.

'Alright Paul.' Jim nodded. 'Be safe.' He spoke the words of Paul's mother. That was her signature line.

When Paul arrived at the bus stop the other boy was already there. He was wearing his leather jacket and a red shirt. Paul couldn't help but feel that John would like this boy.

'Evening George.' Paul greeted him.

George smiled. He was a skinny lad in the year below Paul at school. He didn't much like school and often took the badge off his uniform whenever off the premises so people didn't know where he went, the polar opposite of Paul, who was proud of the school he went to and often showed it off.

George was 15 and had taught himself to play the guitar just like Paul. The two got the same school bus each morning and bonded over music, becoming quite close. George was quite popular in his year at school and tended to get on with everyone. He had a slight 'badboy' name around the school but he wasn't a bad kid. He did the work and then went home.

George didn't live in Liverpool like Paul and John, he lived just a street outside of Liverpool in Knowsley. However, it wasn't too far from Liverpool as the houses just opposite from him were in fact in Liverpool. (Fun fact for you all there).

'We're meeting the others on the bus.' Paul explained.

Soon enough the bus arrived, Paul and George paid the fare and walked up the stairs to the top deck. John sat at the back with his feet on the chair opposite. He greeted Paul with a nod.

'Oh yeah,' Paul said. 'And they don't know anything about you coming tonight.'

'Right.' George grew quite shy.

'I didn't know you had to babysit, Paulie.' John teased, making George feel uncomfortable.

'Very funny, Lennon.' Paul smirked. 'This is George Harrison, he plays guitar.'

'Oh yeah?' John sat up, instantly becoming interested.

'Yeah, show 'em George.' Paul sat down beside John and watched as George set up.

'At least he holds it the right way up.' John joked, nudging Paul. The other lads noticed the close relationship between Paul and John but didn't say anything about it. It was as if they'd known each other longer than any of the others.

'Sod off John.' Paul laughed.

George started to strum the guitar and watched as everyone went from straight faced to stunned. 'I can play more if you'd like me to.'

'No, that was sufficient.' Paul smiled, winking at George and mouthing 'well done'.

'How old did you say you were?' John asked.

'I didn't.' George said.

Paul laughed. 'He's 15 John.'

'You're a little young.' John thought.

'He's only a year younger than me.' Paul lowered his eyebrows. 'He's a good guitarist.'

'You're right, you want to be in the band?'

'Sure.' George was ecstatic but didn't show it, he remained cool and John liked that.

'Welcome to The Quarrymen.'

***

The next morning John walked into the college to see a load of faces glaring at him. He couldn't put his finger on why but he didn't mind too much.

'There you are!' Stuart ran up behind him, making John jump slightly. 'Where've you been?'

'Walking to college?' John furrowed his eyebrows. 'What's going on?'

Stuart laughed. 'You really don't know?' John shook his head. 'That band of yours, they're in the hall waiting to perform.'

'What?' John's eyes grew wide, he hadn't been informed.

'Yeah.' Stuart clapped. 'And you're late to your own gig.' He pushed John through the doors of the hall.

Paul and George were stood on the stage with their guitars. 'We need a bass.' Paul called from the stage. John turned to Stuart with a grin.

'Are they for real?' He asked, walking to the stage. 'Why aren't you in school?'

'Who are you? Our mother?' Paul smirked, George stood behind him with a smile on his face.

'There was a gas leak at school.' George explained.

'Lucky for some.'

'Indeed.' Paul laughed. 'They've shut your school too.'

'Is that what you meant?' John turned to Stuart.

'Yeah.' He laughed. 'They're not really going to perform, are they?'

'I thought we were?' Paul glanced at George.

'Yeah, so did I.'

'Oh, no!' Stuart blushed. 'I was kidding.'

'So are we.' Paul jumped down from the stage and walked towards Stuart and John.

'Oh.' He giggled awkwardly.

'Come on, let's head out.' Paul dragged John by his hand. Stuart's head tilted, grabbing hands? That's not exactly normal behaviour for two boys.

***

Stuart dragged the smoke into his mouth and blew it back out, offering John a cigarette. He declined. Paul and George had already headed home after the short practice they'd just done.

'Hey John?' Stuart said after the smoke left his lungs.

'Yes Stu?' John turned to Stuart.

'You and Paul, what's that about?'

'What do you mean?' John's eyebrows raised.

Stuart coughed. 'He held your hand earlier.'

'What do you mean?' John asked.

'He held your hand?' Stuart scowled.

'Did he?' John questioned. 'I didn't realise.' He lied.

'Is he - y'know - queer?' Stuart asked.

John scoffed. 'Who? Paul?' He laughed. 'You must be joking!'

'I'm not.' Stuart shrugged.

'He's been through a lot.' John said. 'He lost his mum, y'know?'

'But-'

'Paul lost his virginity to his babysitter.' John smirked. 'He's not gay.'

'Right - and you?'

'I'm with Cyn.' John said. 'Paul's my friend.'

'Right.' He nodded. And that was the end of that. Stuart didn't ask again after that.

***

'It was lovely to catch-up, Julia.' Mimi shook her sister's hand and walked her to the door.

John burst through the door, wiping his feet on the mat and shouting, 'I'm home Mimi-' John noticed his mum standing there. 'Oh.'

'We were just catching up.' Julia said. 'I can stay-'

'No, if you need to be off then go.' John crossed his arms.

'I'd like to stay.' She said in a calm tone.

Mimi smiled, 'I'll go put the kettle on.'

John followed Mimi into the kitchen and sat on the table, noticing some Victoria sponge cake on the table that hadn't been touched.

'I thought I'd bring some cake for you, you always used to like cake.' Julia sat down opposite John.

'Thanks.' John smiled.

Mimi and Julia saw a lot more of each other after that. John enjoyed not having to sneak about to see his mum and he enjoyed seeing Mimi interact with other people that weren't himself or the postman.

Hours went by of them just talking. Julia stood to her feet and put her coat around her.

'I best get home.' She said.

'Well, it was lovely to see you.' Mimi smiled. 'Pop round whenever you like.'

'I will.' Julia nodded. And she did.

Julia 'popped round' for the next few months just to spend time with her sister and son.

***

John raced home, dropping his guitar and running to the police car. He saw Mimi standing outside the gates to Mendips and he ran to stand by her, taking her hand.

'Will she be alright?' He cried, tears streaming uncontrollably down his face. 'Why aren't you still at the hospital?'

Mimi hesitated to speak, swallowing hard before she did. 'No John, she won't be alright.'

He didn't want to ask but he knew he had to, 'is she-'

'Yes.' Mimi pulled him into a hug but John pulled away, pushing Mimi away and running off down the street. His eyes stung with tears and he kept running until he reached his favourite spot: Strawberry Field.

***

Mimi knocked on Paul's door ferociously, desperation clear in her knocks. When he opened the door he was overwhelmed by her pleas.

'Has John been by?' She asked.

Paul furrowed his eyebrows, 'not since yesterday afternoon but he left in a hurry.' He noticed her bloodshot eyes. A sharp sting of concern hit his chest. 'What's happened?'

'Julia's dead.' She said, simply. Paul couldn't tell if she was blunt because of the denial or because of the grief. She was a difficult woman to suss out, Mimi.

'How?'

'Hit by a car.' She said. 'John hasn't been home since.'

'When did it happen?' Paul questioned, growing more worried with each word.

'Last night.'

'Don't fret Mimi, I'll find him.' He said, grabbing his brown coat from the hanger and calling to his dad. 'I'll be home later. I need to rush out.'

'Alright, son.' Jim McCartney shouted through, unbeknownst of the circumstances but allowing him out anyway.

'Go back home, Mimi. I'll bring John back when he's ready.' He said. 'I'm sorry for your loss.'

'Thank you, Paul.' Mimi patted his shoulder. 'You're a good lad.' She said. 'And a good friend to John.' She didn't mention the fact that she thought he were a positive influence on him as she felt it a little personal so she kept it to herself.

Paul raced off in the opposite direction to Mimi, understanding John's thinking and knowing where he'd be. Where else would he go if he felt there was nowhere else? Nowhere but there.

He fought against the trees and walked up slowly behind John, who was sleeping softly by his tree. He had a clear eye shot of the gates so he didn't feel entrapped, he felt safe.

Paul felt awful waking him so instead he just sat down. He took hold of John's guitar and strummed quietly.

'Paul?' John peeped his eyes open. For the first time since they'd met, Paul saw a vulnerable boy in John. He saw a little boy who was torn between his mum and dad, who'd lost everyone he held dear, a boy who needed a friend, who needed love. Paul smiled.

'Hi.' He said.

'I was hoping you'd find me.' He said, trying to smile but failing. Paul looked at him through pitiful eyes and pulled himself closer to where John was sat. He gave John his hand and they both sat in silence. Silence until John spoke. 'What was she like?' Paul looked at him. 'Your mum?'

'She was nice.' Paul said, uncomfortably, pulling his hand away from John. 'Sweet.' He smiled at the memory of her. 'Everything you'd want in a mother.'

'What happened?' John asked, resting his head on Paul's shoulder.

'She got sick.' Paul shrugged. 'So she had an operation.' John felt tears fall from his eyes. 'But there were complications.' He sighed. 'And she died.'

'I'm sorry, Paulie.' He grabbed Paul's hand again. 'She's not coming back, is she? I've really lost her?'

Paul sobbed, 'no, she's not.'

'I was just getting to know her.'

'I know.' Paul pulled John into a hug.

'Now what do I do?' He cried into Paul's shoulder, reminding himself of Mike that night.

'You go on.' Paul looked John in the eyes. 'We go on.' He grabbed his hand tighter, he held his brother's hand.

'How old were you?'

'Fourteen.' Paul looked at his feet, feeling emotions racing through his mind.

John pulled Paul into a tighter hug. 'I'm so sorry.' He sobbed into Paul's shoulder.

'Don't be sorry.' Paul wiped away his own tears.

John looked at Paul. 'Don't cry.' John nudged Paul, making him laugh.

'Don't you either.' He nudged back. 'I promised Mimi I'd take you home.'

'I can't go back there.' John closed his eyes. 'Not yet.'

Paul stood up. 'You can.' He said. 'Because I'll be right there with you.'

'I can't, Paul.'

'You can.' He took his hand as he did Mike's. 'I believe you can.'

John stood up, pulling Paul into another hug and feeling secure in his embrace. Once out of Strawberry Field, the pair dropped the other's hand and walked silently to Mendips. The next thing John said made Paul's heart snap again.

'Stay with me tonight.' He placed his hand on Paul's shoulder. 'I can't be alone.'

'Of course.' Paul smiled slightly.

***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.2K 1.5K 18
TRIGGER WARNING: contains drug/alcohol use and NSFW content. Inspired by the movie, "Two of Us (2000)" ====================================== "You do...
38.4K 1.6K 54
(disclaimer rly old and bad!!!) - Paul McCartney is the son of a wood chopper, barely scrounging on their savings to afford clothes and meals. As for...
43.1K 1.5K 42
In the Spring of 1963, Cynthia Lennon gives birth to a beautiful baby boy. However, things don't go to plan, as complications during the delivery go...
6.3K 136 36
so basically this story takes place in the 60s,in both America and London,which is about the Fab four and a famous American group that's having a har...