Brothers - Lennon/McCartney

By HelloLittleReader

After being left by his parents at a young age and forced upon his aunt Mimi, John finds it difficult to conc... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven

Chapter Four

226 11 15
By HelloLittleReader

***

One morning, when Paul had slept on the sofa of Mendips with John on the floor, Mimi was awoken by a knock on the door. She got up to see who it was and allowed the person into her home.

'Don't wake John.' She ordered.

'I wanted to apologise to him.' Julia looked at John lying on the floor. 'I've been such a terrible mum.'

'Yes.' Was all Mimi could say. 'I'll let him know you dropped by.'

'Don't be like that, Mimi.' Julia crossed her arms. 'I'm still your sister.'

John figgeted in his sleep. 'Keep your voice down!' Mimi scowled.

'I need to see him.' She said. 'Can I wait here?'

John's eyes opened, he looked at Paul and saw that he was still conked out and then looked at Mimi. His eyes then scanned to see Julia stood there, a smile plastered on her face.

'What are you doing here?' He jumped up from the floor, forgetting Paul was asleep still. 'You said you didn't want to see me. You don't have the right to decide when and where you see me.'

'John, I wanted to apologise.' Julia sighed.

'I'm not interested anymore.' He said, hitting Julia in the chest. 'I want you to go.' Julia still stood. 'I said go!'

Paul sat up awkwardly, looking at the two women stood in front of him and blushing awkwardly. He pulled the blanket over him.

'Sorry Paul, somebody thought it'd be alright to just walk back into my life.' John sniped.

'It's alright.' Paul wiped his eyes. He squinted at the two women by the door and assumed the one beside Mimi must be Julia, they had similarities in their looks.

'John, come by later today.' Julia pleaded. 'I need to see you.'

'No, I'm with Paul today.' He spat, making her feel worthless.

'But I'm your mum.' She cried.

'Some mum.' He hissed. 'I'm spending the day with my friend.'

'Bring him along, you wouldn't mind, would you?' Julia looked at Paul with pleading eyes. 'I'm his mother. If it was yours-' She said, unbeknownst of the facts. 'John would do the same for you.'

Paul swallowed hard. And John noticed his clear uncomfort.

'Don't be insensitive.' John growled. Julia's eyes shrunk in confusion.

'It's alright John, she wasn't to know.' Paul tried to calm the situation. 'We can pop by if you want to.'

'I don't want to.' John grumbled.

'Please John.' Julia let a tear fall.

'Just go!' John screamed, feeling like his heart couldn't break anymore.

Julia walked out of the room with sad eyes. She grabbed a tissue and left the house.

'I tried to make her go, John.' Mimi said. 'I'm sorry.'

'It's her fault. She just doesn't know when to stop.' John collapsed onto the floor. Paul put a reassuring hand on his shoulder. Mimi nodded and left the room, understanding that she couldn't help in this situation. 'Why doesn't she just stay out of my life?'

'Because she loves you.' Paul handed John a tissue.

'I can't believe I'm crying in front of you.' He laughed slightly. Paul scoffed.

'Well- it's understandable.'

John looked Paul in the eyes and smiled. 'I don't know what it is but I feel I can be myself with you.'

'What are friends for?' Paul nudged him.

'You must think I'm so selfish. I mean- you don't have your mum and I'm pushing mine away-' John sighed. 'But everytime I think I'm moving on from my childhood traumas, she comes back again and causes more heartache.'

'I understand.' Paul took John's hand, with anyone else John would pull away and call the other queer. But in this moment, in this very moment with Paul, he couldn't.

Paul was like his brother and he loved him in his own way.

'We can go see her.' Paul said. 'You can let out all of your emotions through song.' He smiled. 'Then we can go get some food.'

***

Julia invited Paul through the door, showing him where John would usually sit. He followed her through and sat down beside him.

'John!' Julia jumped up from her chair and pulled John into a hug. 'I knew you'd come.'

'I'm not here for you.' He pulled away. Julia looked confused. 'I'm here for Paul.'

'Paul?'

'He told me to come.'

'Thank you, Paul!' She pulled Paul into a hug. Paul felt so uncomfortable he just looked at John with wide eyes.

John laughed, 'let him get through the door then.'

'I knew you'd come back!' Julia said to John in a chirpy tone.

'Quicker than you did.' John made a quick dig.

'Don't you dare.' Bobby spat.

Paul looked uncomfortable.

'Let's go back to Mimi's.' John said, standing up. 'We can sit in the garden and play some chords.'

'No, stay.' Julia took his hand. 'I'd like to hear you play.'

Paul looked at John to see whether he was coming or going but saw a soft side emerge on his face. John started to strum and nodded towards Paul to join in. Bobby stood up in anger and stormed out of the room, to which John sniggered.

They played Maggie Mae, making Julia tear up slightly. She watched as John's hands strummed perfectly in rhythm with Paul, who hit all the right chords.

'You've improved so much since I last saw you.'

'Yeah.' John said. 'Because you last saw me two months ago.'

'I'm sorry, John.' She twiddled her thumbs. 'I have something for you.' She ran into the kitchen and grabbed a vinyl before running back. 'It's Elvis' new record. Straight from America.'

'This doesn't make it alright.' He frowned.

'John-' Paul nudged him. Julia saw an instant change in John's mood. He smiled lightly.

'Thanks mum.' He took the record off her. Julia looked at Paul and noticed a small grin form on his face. 'We best be off.'

'Do stay.'

'Paul has to get home.'

'You'll be alright walking alone, won't you dear?' Julia asked. Paul went to nod before John piped up.

'Mum!' He yelled. 'I can't expect Paul to walk alone.' He showed Paul out of the door and followed him swiftly.

Julia sighed. What was so special about John's Paul?

***

John walked into his sketching class and took his usual seat. He saw that Cynthia hadn't arrived yet so he couldn't ask her for a pencil, which had become a simple excuse to talk to her.

The teacher began teaching about some stroke in sketching before Cynthia walked through the door. 'I'm so sorry I'm late.' She said, awkwardly taking her seat and catching eye with John.

'It's not like you to be late, Miss Powell.' John smirked, whispering so only she could hear him. Cynthia turned around, astonished at the fact he didn't do it for any attention but her own.

'No, it's not.' Cynthia growled, knowing he was only going to tease.

John laughed, 'I wanted to ask you something.' He said.

'I don't have a spare pencil.' She rolled  her eyes.

'No.' John laughed again. 'Do you want to go out with me sometime?'

Cynthia opened her mouth to speak and produced nothing.

'I'm not asking you to marry me.' He spat, not thinking about his tone.

Cynthia turned away, making him lean forward. He tapped her shoulder and whispered 'sorry' before returning to his usual position.

'Mr Lennon, do stop distracting Miss Powell.' The teacher tried to embarrass him but failed, only opening the door to an opportunity for a dig from John.

'Sorry Miss, but I don't think she minds too much.' John smirked, making the class giggle. Cynthia blushed.

'Don't get cocky with me, Mister.' She pointed her finger at him.

'Pardon me, Miss, but I'm not five.' He grumbled.

'No.' She said. 'But I can imagine you being a very spoilt child. Your mother didn't know what to do with you. Nor your father.'

John's face dropped. He growled, 'don't get personal now, Miss.' He hissed. 'You don't know my childhood.'

Cynthia turned to face him again, noticing a slight change in his mannerisms. He was hurt by what she had just said but she didn't know why.

'Go to the Headmaster.' She ordered.

John stormed out of the room, throwing his work on the floor. Cynthia raced off after him.

'John!' She caught up to him and took his hand. He looked at her through red eyes. 'I'd love to go out with you.'

He smiled, forgetting all about the teacher's words. 

***

'Why did you leave with Paul the other night?' Julia asked the next time John saw her. Her voice was inquisitive and John didn't appreciate her tone.

'Because I couldn't see him walking alone.' He replied.

'He's a fully grown boy.' She folded her arms.

'He's also my friend.'

'Is he?' She asked.

'What does that mean?' He growled back.

'You'd rather spend time with him than with me.' She pouted.

John rolled his eyes. 'Because he doesn't abandon me when better things come along.'

Julia's eyes began to water as she stood up. 'It wasn't like that John!'

'I'm sorry mum.' He followed her into the kitchen. 'I know it wasn't.'

'Please don't push me away, John.' She begged. 'I love you.'

'I won't.' He sighed. She relaxed slightly and took a seat on the table, inviting John to do the same.

'Is it Paul that taught you to play then?' She asked.

'Yeah.'

'He's good.'

'He's a good friend.' He smiled.

'You really care for him, don't you?'

'I do.' John said. 'But I won't tell him that.'

'I think he already knows.' She said. 'I mean, I do and I've only seen him once. You treat him different. You don't tease him about anything. You just banter with him.'

'What do you mean?'

'You're a lot more gentle with Paul. It's like you can be yourself. When you bring your other friends you have a hard shell around you, and you sort of - pick on them. But not with Paul, he's different.'

'He's my best friend.' John admitted.

***

Cynthia pulled her hair out of her ponytail and took John's hand. He smiled at her, making her feel warm inside.

'So, where are you taking me, Mr Lennon?' Cynthia smiled a grin.

'You'll have to wait and see.' He jabbed back at her. He wore black trousers with a black shirt and a black leather jacket, making Cynthia feel a little awkward in her blue shirt and skirt.

John was taking her out on all the money he had from playing in the band. Paul had given him his wages too, meaning he owed Paul a few shillings.

Cynthia recognised the area of Liverpool but still couldn't put her finger on it.

'I hope you like Elvis.' He smirked, leading her into the cinema. 'If not, we can see whatever you like.'

'I like Elvis.' She smiled, taking her hand. 'Thank you.'

'I have something for you.' John said. 'Wait here,' he walked to the counter and then walked back with a bunch of flowers. 'They're beautifully pale, like you.'

'I didn't have you down as the romantic type.' She smiled, kissing his cheek and making him blush.

John took her hand and led her into the show. He watched her more than he watched Elvis, watching her every response to the film. Her eyes dazzled whenever Elvis sung, as though he was singing to her.

Once out, John took her to a restaurant. Cynthia sat down and looked at the menu.

'This must be costing you a fortune.' She said, reading the ridiculous prices. 'I don't want you to be out of pocket.'

'Why? Do you think I'm poor?' He laughed.

'No!' She defended her statement. 'I just mean- shall we go somewhere else?' She asked. 'It's a little posh in here.'

'It's up to you.' He took her hand from across the table and smiled.

'Right well, we look out of place in here so we're going elsewhere.' She laughed. She led John to a small pub on the corner of her street. 'I have my ID so I doubt you'll need yours.'

He led him into the bar and bought him a lager, John admired her even more so than he already did. She smiled at him and they danced a while.

John later walked her home, carrying her shoes most of the way. Once they were at the end of her street, John pulled her into a hug.

'Thanks for a wonderful evening.' Cynthia smiled, kissing his forehead whilst he was bent down. 'I'll see you tomorrow.'

***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38.4K 1.6K 54
(disclaimer rly old and bad!!!) - Paul McCartney is the son of a wood chopper, barely scrounging on their savings to afford clothes and meals. As for...
101K 3.8K 35
TRIGGER WARNING: contains homophobic slurs, alcohol abuse and NSFW content. ====================================== "Don't pass me by, don't make me...
10.5K 402 27
A young girl meets present-day Paul McCartney who sends her back in time to save the Beatles. #1 in the quarrymen 2/7/23 #1 in ringostarrxreader 2/12...
1.5K 84 26
Who would've thought that a small, local church would bring two polar opposite people together. That was the thought that ran through a teen boy's he...