Draugr

By harrypanther

Modern/Supernatural AU. Just when everything was going so well for Astrid, she is taken away from it. Refusi... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Epilogue

Ten

504 34 27
By harrypanther

Ten.

Lying on the bed beside Hiccup, Astrid spent the night staring at the man she loved, listening to him breathe. It was the little things that she missed: the tickle of his warm breath on her neck as he nuzzled her, the possessive wrap of an arm around her after they had made love, the scratch of his scruff in the morning, his scent filling her nostrils as she woke. She could hear and see but the other senses, those that gave depth and meaning were absent. But her memory of him kept her warm and protective as she watched him sleep and worried about the threat to him that Heather and Dagur posed.

And there was no one she could tell who would believe her.

In the small hours, when Hiccup was snoring softly, she walked up to the studio and peered at his work over the last days since her death. He had been a man possessed, sculpting as if his life depended on it-and now Stormfly wasn't alone, for an entire herd of hand-sized dragons kept her company. Her constant companion was a perfectly moulded Night Fury, painted in black with the lightest of grey highlights, his emerald green eyes mirroring those of his creator. A Monstrous Nightmare, Zippleback, Gronckle, Rumblehorn, Razorwhip, Triple Stryke, Snow Wraith, Skrill, Flightmare, Terrible Terror, Night Terror, Scauldron, Hotburple, Deathsong and Thunderdrum were all perfectly formed, glazed and ranged on the shelves above Astrid's Stormfly and her Night Fury companion. There were also more vases with draconic motifs or shaped in wilting, sad shapes and mournful colours and the bust of Astrid was complete. And two models of Toothless-alert and bright and asleep-were waiting to be glazed.

She stared at the work and sighed. Hiccup was so talented, so creative and so stubborn that he never gave up on a project once he had started. It was clear that the idea of a suite of dragons had come to him once he had seen her clumsy effort and he had executed it brilliantly, immersing himself in his work to avoid the pain of her absence. Or maybe the act of creation helped him by balancing out the destruction that had taken her from him.

She couldn't let Heather and her brother use him to help them because she knew Dagur would kill Hiccup once the ransom was paid. So she walked silently down to the bedroom, walking in without paying attention and laying down again.

"I do love you," she murmured softly. "And I will do anything...risk anything...to protect you. If only I knew how..."

oOo

There was one last thing she could try as she walked back to the bedroom, seeing him restless and dreaming, one last crazy way she could try to comfort him...though she had no clue how she could do this.

He'll sense you-and others can as well: animals, the dying, those in comas, maybe some in that nether world between sleep and awake, some spiritualists...

"Astrid..." he moaned. "No...it should have been me..."

Her heart broke at those words. The pain and guilt in his words broke her heart as she concentrated on not phasing through the bed, leaning close to him so their lips were almost touching, her hands on the side of his head.

I won't let you blame yourself. I won't let you suffer for what Heather and her brother did to us.

"Hiccup," she said softly, exerting all her concentration. "Listen to me. I know you can hear me, somehow. I know it won't be conscious but maybe in your dream, you can see me once again. I'm with you, babe. I'll always be with you. And I trust you. I know you are strong enough to go on. To become the brilliant famous sculptor I always knew you would be. To use my legacy to help others and build those dreams we never had a chance to do together."

The furrow in his brow smoothed and his lips tilted slightly into a smile.

"Milady..." he murmured.

"I love you, Hiccup," she murmured, feeling as if her head was exploding with the effort of concentration. But it seemed to be working. "I should have said it so many times, my love. Please forgive me. I love you."

"Love...you..." he mumbled, a tear sliding down his cheek. She pressed the ghost of her lips against his.

"Take care, my love," she whispered as he relaxed, his breathing quieting. "And sleep well."

oOo

"Okay, bud-we're going out today," Hiccup announced as he bounced downstairs. He had been up bright and alert-unlike his usual exhausted self, because he really wasn't a morning person-and had showered, shaved and changed into decent black jeans, boots, green tee-shirt under his favourite dark red shirt and copper and red waistcoat. The mutt raised his head tiredly-and then bounded up, tongue hanging out and tail wagging eagerly. Smiling, the young man fussed his friend happily.

"What are you planning, sculptor-boy?" Astrid murmured, following him with a suspicious look. He cheerily fed Toothless and polished off two coffees, pancakes, maple syrup and bacon and then rose.

"Right, bud," he murmured. "The police aren't going to look for the person who killed Astrid-so I've got to. And though that woman was a fake, it is possible someone did see something-so I need to check myself. But I need to see Heather first-because I want to know if anyone had any reason to harm Astrid. She was Astrid's best friend and business partner so if anyone knows, she will."

Astrid stared in horror. "No, she won't!" she said urgently. "Hiccup-you have to stay away from her. Toothless-don't let him go out!" But the dog whined, knowing it was pointless to stop Hiccup when he was determined: he was fully the equal of Astrid for stubbornness.

"If you don't want to, I can always leave you behind, bud," he commented, slipping the dog the last slice of bacon. Tail wagging, the dog wolfed it down.

"Traitor," Astrid grumped as the mutt sped to the hall and came back with his collar and lead. "Just keep an eye on him, Toothless! I don't trust Heather." But oblivious, Hiccup deftly fastened on the collar and leash then pulled on his long coat and wrapped the green scarf Astrid had given him around his neck.

"Ready, bud?" he asked as he grabbed his keys and the dog wagged his tail happily. "Let's go!" Hiccup grinned and they headed out of the house.

Astrid tailed them as they walked into town. It was a long walk which she had done several times now because she had needed to get back from the cemetery and Dagur's apartment and couldn't hail a cab. Hiccup's stride was long and easy and it evoked all sorts of memories of lazy walks in the park, his hand clasped with hers, his gentle voice teasing her or just talking about nothing important at all. Toothless was ambling along happily: he loved walks and would walk all day, if he was given the chance. But as they approached the centre of Berk and the office, the sense of foreboding Astrid had was just rising and rising.

"Toothless-remember-watch over Hiccup," she said as they walked into the building and took the elevator up to the offices of HOFFERSON INVESTMENTS. Astrid hung back as the ping sounded and the doors of the elevator opened. With a shiver of memory, Hiccup walked confidently through the etched glass doors and into the main office. The girl at the desk looked up-and then she smiled, her brown eyes widening in shock.

"Mister Haddock?" she gasped. He shrugged: everyone at the firm knew him, because he had accompanied Astrid to every 'do' since they started going out and was always pleasant and sociable with everyone.

"Hiya, Bella," he said evenly. She got up and took his hand, her face sympathetic.

"How are you bearing up?" she asked gently and he swallowed, but forced a fake smile onto his face.

"Barely," he admitted. "I miss her." He paused. "Is Heather here?" The girl nodded and gestured towards Astrid's office.

"She hasn't got anyone with her," she revealed, sighing. " We all miss her as well. She was a great boss and a great person." Hiccup pulled away, his shoulders slumping.

"Thanks," he sighed then headed to the office, nodding absently to anyone who greeted him. Toothless was walking hard against his legs, looking up at him worriedly: he knew his beloved master was struggling, coming back to the place where his master's mate had worked. And behind them, Astrid walked slowly along, drinking in the sights of her offices, her business, her life's work. Somehow, it wasn't the same any more-because the person who helped her build the firm had betrayed her. Then Hiccup rapped on the door and opened it as he heard Heather's voice invite him in. She looked up-and then started, trying to shove something under the papers on the desk and turned the computer screen away from him. Astrid immediately walked through the desk and peered at the screen, recognising a new account that had been opened solely by Heather-and that now contained all the money from all the company business accounts-including the money from investors. Sickened by the betrayal, she memorised the account name, number and the access code that Heather had scribbled on the top sheet of paper on the pile. The raven-haired girl slapped her hand over the number a second too late.

"Hiccup!" she gasped. "What-what are you doing here?" He gave a small smile and walked forward.

"Hi, Heather," he said softly. "I need your help." Her green eyes widened and she shuffled the papers further over the object, curling her lips in a smile.

"Oh?" she asked, her eyes half-lidded. "Have you been considering what I said when I came over?" Hiccup stiffened and Astrid frowned at him.

"Babe?" she murmured, seeing him look uncomfortable.

"Or are you trying to tell me you haven't been thinking about that kiss since I left?" she purred. His left hand hovered slightly over the pocket in his coat but he lifted his chin coolly and shook his head.

"Not once," he said honestly and her eyes widened in shock. Astrid gave a small smile. "Heather, I love Astrid. She was your best friend. And the cops aren't looking for her killer because they think I did it. So I need your help!"

"Wasting your time, babe," Astrid grumped, glaring at her former friend. "She knows exactly who killed me-because she set me up."

"Anything I can do," Heather said with apparent sincerity. "I wanna know who set her up."

"Look in the mirror," Astrid growled.

"Did Astrid have any enemies? Business rivals? People she had to fire for any reason?" Hiccup asked in a concerned voice.

"Hiccup-the cops have asked me all of this," she said in an exasperated voice. "I..."

"Heather-they aren't looking for anyone!" he told her slightly desperately. "They think I would hurt her. They said partners and husbands were the most common people to commit a murder!" Heather took a step forward and gasped his hand warmly.

"Don't worry, Hiccup," she said gently. "I know you would never harm her!"

"Yeah-because your brother murdered me!" Astrid growled. "And take your hands off him!" As she watched, stiff and very angry, Heather leaned closer to him, her eyes locked on his.

"You are a wonderful, kind, gentle man," she said softly. "And it kills me to see you so sad, so alone, so..."

"If I was alive, my lunch would be in my throat," Astrid commented but Hiccup kindly but firmly disentangled her hand from his and pushed her back just enough to make his position very clear. He shook his head.

"Heather-any enemies?" he pressed and she sighed.

"None," she sighed and as she half-turned, his hand brushed the papers aside-and his eyes widened as he swiftly lifted the familiar dark blue diary. "Hey!" she began as she saw him flip open the precious diary. "I..."

"This is Astrid's," Hiccup said, his brow furrowed as his emerald gaze swept over the pages of her familiar precise writing. Heather was suddenly taut. "Nothing in here...but I thought you couldn't find this?" She gave a false laugh that had Astrid growling in her throat.

"It was in her desk all along," the jet-haired woman said too swiftly.

"Liar, liar, pants on fire," Astrid snarked. "I always carried it with me. I know that, you know that...and so does Hiccup..." His eyes flicked up for the smallest fraction of a second and then he nodded, handing it back to the very relieved Heather.

"I guess," he said, taking a deep breath and pausing. "Heather-what did Astrid want to tell me? Why did she want to see me in such a hurry?" He turned to face her. "What was so important that she was there at that place at that time?" Heather gave a sigh.

"She was coming to say the words," she said. Hiccup stared at her. "You know-the ones she was allergic to?" She rolled her eyes. "I love you?"

He groaned and covered his face for a long moment, his head bowing forward in despair.

"I know she loved me," he sighed. "No matter that she refused to say it, she showed it with her actions and what she said, every day. And though I desperately wanted to hear the words, the confirmation, I knew in my heart she would say them when she was ready."

"She was suddenly fired up," Heather told him. "She felt she had to tell you that she did love you. And she wanted it to be perfect-so she went to that place where you first planned to tell her you loved her-that stupid fountain of a dragon..." He looked up and then his left hand dipped in his pocket, pulling out a small box and tossing it onto the desk. Heather gaped and Astrid covered her mouth.

"Babe?" she murmured.

"Hiccup?" Heather asked, her mouth dry. The young artist took a shuddering breath.

"She was going to tell me she loved me-and I was going to ask her if she wanted to spend the rest of her life with me," he said hollowly as Heather opened the box to reveal a perfect diamond solitaire. "Turned out...she did-though I never got to ask the question." She gaped.

"Thor..." she breathed.

"Only thing I have ever used money from my Trust fund for," he admitted, "because she deserved the best."

"Oh Gods," Astrid said, her heart aching. "Heather-you robbed me of that as well? I swear, if it takes my all eternity until Ragnarok, I will see you and your brother pay for what you've done!" Hiccup took the ring box from her and replaced it in his pocket. Then he paused.

"How did you get the book, Heather?" he asked tonelessly. "Astrid would have had it with her. The first place you would have checked was her desk." Heather's green eyes widened, a shocked look overtaking her face.

"I-I..."

"You can tell me or I can call my best buddies, Detectives Mala and Throk and you can tell them," he suggested calmly. She grabbed his arm.

"I got a call," she said breathlessly. "He-he offered me the book-for money. I needed it to access our accounts. So...I left the money in a trash can...and came back half an hour later. The book was there." Hiccup glared at her and roughly shook her off. Toothless growled..

"And you didn't tell the cops?" he said bitterly. "You let them think it was me? The fact someone else had her book and ransomed it to you would have meant they had to look for the real killer!"

"I'm sorry!" she said too quickly. "I-I was just so relieved to get it back so I could protect the business..."

"Heather-it was Astrid's business, not yours," Hiccup said coldly. "She's been killed and all you think about is the bottom line-and your cut of the profits? She was murdered and I'm in the frame for that. You know, I think as her best friend, the least you should have done is make sure the man she loved wasn't being framed for her death!"

"I'm sorry!" she gabbled. "I was just so devastated and I didn't want the business she dedicated her life to building to be ruined and..." She sagged. "I'll call them now. You're right. They need to know. You don't need to worry-Astrid loved you and I won't let then suspect you any longer." He nodded, looking down at the dog. Toothless gave his doggy smile, pink tongue hanging out of the side of his mouth.

"Thanks, Heather," he managed wearily then turned to the door as she lifted her phone. "Okay-we'll go to the park, see if Toothless can find anything..." Astrid stared at the black mutt.

"Watch over him, boy," she murmured as the door closed behind them...but Astrid remained, glaring at her former friend and wondering if Heather would do what she suspected.

"I never knew," the raven-haired girl whispered. "He was going to propose? How much worse can it get?" But she still thumbed on her phone and dialled. "Dagur? He's heading to the park right now. If you want to do it, go now!" Then she paused and closed her eyes. "But once you get the ransom, he doesn't need to go home. Ever."

"About time you saw sense," Dagur replied and hung up.

"And Odin forgive me," Heather added.

"Because I never will," Astrid swore as she turned and leapt through the door, racing after her boyfriend...

oOo

The park was not deserted but certainly wasn't busy in the cold Berk Thursday morning as Hiccup warily approached the fountain. As a boy, he had been fascinated by the dragons that had once roamed Berk, had a room that was filled with dragon books and posters and models and had seriously toyed with the idea of being a paleodragonologist-but then reality had struck. Though he loved dragons, studying their dead bones for obscure clues to their extinct physiology wasn't for him: he was an artist, someone who created and crafted things that screamed life. So he had developed his art, working clay as a potter and a sculptor, studying and working tirelessly on commissions, on plaques and plates and simple pots that were ordered by shops and individuals. And what they asked for wasn't him-but he had been determined to make his own way in the world and he kept his head above water by continuing to create his own art while paying the rent and managing to got a few pieces exhibited here and there, a couple of his pots stocked in the odd shop. And his underlying theme had always included dragons.

The Night Fury fountain was switched off, the smooth dry lines of the bronze very familiar to the young man who had spent hours staring at it, memorising the imperfections and clues to the unknown creator's technique. There were a couple of bouquets of flowers laid against the base of the fountain, the simple messages expressing sorrow at Astrid's murder and he walked forward and crouched down, his arm around Toothless as he read them, blinking hard. The simple gesture from the people of Berk had touched him deeply, hugging his friend silently. Then he glanced over and saw the poster on the railings to the park, the image of Astrid looking sternly at him with an appeal for witnesses for her murder.

"It's okay, bud," he murmured. "I know. It's just...being here, remembering what happened-and seeing others pay their respects..." He sighed. "Come on, bud. Let's see if we can find any clues about what happened..." He rose and watched as Toothless sniffed around the fountain, then give a small bark and headed off along the trail into the park, tail wagging. Hiccup followed with Astrid walking unseen alongside, her eyes ranging over the park, anxiety bubbling in her stomach.

"Get out of here, babe," she said clearly. "Hiccup-it's not safe."

Toothless barked, breaking away ahead.

And then Hiccup felt something hit him from behind, bearing him to the ground. A weight was laid across him, pinning him.

"Don't move, Red," a voice growled. "Then no one needs to get hurt."

"TOOTHLESS!" Astrid screamed, forgetting she was dead and punching ferociously at the shape pinning her boyfriend, her clenched fists passing harmlessly through the buff shape pressing Hiccup down. But Astrid was an active and determined woman and had always believed in self-defence, taking lessons as a student. And she had taught her lover a few moves because she worried about him. So she felt a surge of relief as his elbow cracked back into the face of the man pinning him, enabling the lanky artist to throw Dagur.

Rolling to his feet, Hiccup backed away, breathing hard. And then his emerald eyes widened in shock and horror.

Buff guy, about five foot ten, short carrot red hair and green eyes. He had three blue claw marks tattooed over his left eye...

"You! You're the one who killed her!" he gasped, reeling in shock. He almost felt lightheaded-but his head cleared as the man gave a menacing leer and flicked open a knife.

"Yeah-but now I need you, Red," he growled. "Come along with me and you won't get hurt..."

"Strange how I don't believe you," Hiccup shot back sarcastically. "HELP ME!" Dagur lunged at him and the young potter ducked back, instinctively raising his hands to protect himself-screaming as the blade slicing across his flesh. But he still punched out, catching Dagur across the chin. As the buff man staggered, Hiccup spun and took off, long legs taking him away from the man-but he was instantly tackled and slammed to the ground once more.

"Keep! Still!" Dagur yelled in his face. "Or I'm gonna have to start cutting bits of you off!"

"Fuck you!" Hiccup snarled back, punching up at the man's face, blood dripping from the deep slice in his left hand. Dagur slammed his fist hard into Hiccup's face and he felt his vision smear with red spots as a hand closed around his throat.

"Shut up!" Dagur snarled, digging his knife into the soft flesh under Hiccup's jaw. "Now you are going to come quietly with me and then Daddy is going to pay a nice fat ransom for his precious little son..."

"Get away from him!" Astrid shouted, swiping at him again, her furious punches and kicks passing through him like smoke. "Don't you dare touch him!"

"Who-who are you?" Hiccup grunted, tasting blood. He thought he could hear barking. "Why are you doing this?"

Dagur screamed as teeth clamped furiously on the arm holding the knife and he was borne away by the impact as Toothless attacked him, growls filling the air. Hiccup rolled away, grasping for breath and scrambling to his knees.

"HELP!" he grunted, glancing back to see Dagur manage to throw the furious black dog. Toothless bounded back, savaging the man once more. Stumbling up, Hiccup glanced around, seeing the few other users of the park heading in his direction, summoned by the barks and growls more than his pathetic shouts. Breathing hard, he turned back-to see Dagur kick Toothless aside, blood smeared all over his arms from the dog's valiant defence. Backing up, the potter gripped his bleeding hand and dodged as Dagur grabbed his knife.

"If I can't take you, she said you weren't to go home," he growled and lifted the blade. Utterly shocked and freezing, Hiccup could only stare as the bloody blade flashed-and then a black blur leapt, hitting the attacker as he lunged at him. There was a yelp and a thud as a body hit the ground. Shocked at the sudden reversal, Dagur stared into Hiccup's eyes as shouts and footsteps and approached-and then he ran. But Hiccup had dropped to his knees by Toothless, lying limp on the ground with the knife still jutting out of his chest, his green eyes wide as he stared faithfully up at his master. He gave a tiny whine and his tail gave one final thump before the light faded in his green eyes and he went limp.

Hiccup screamed in desolation, bending forward to hug the limp shape as the first people clustered around him, checking how he was and phoning the cops and an ambulance.

"No, bud...please don't leave me as well. How-how can I go on without you as well as without Astrid? Oh Thor...please..."

Astrid felt her heart shatter even more at his despairing pleas, as she saw the man she loved utterly broken by the loss of his best friend. And she felt completely hopeless, completely useless-because she had watched and he been able to do nothing.

"I'm so sorry, babe," she murmured. "I'm so sorry I couldn't save him. I couldn't save you. I couldn't stop him. I couldn't do anything to protect you." She paused and her fists clenched. "I have to find a way."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.6K 612 12
Modern AU. Taking his girlfriend Astrid on a last minute sunshine break seemed like the perfect idea for Hiccup-but everything doesn't go to plan as...
4.8K 87 20
Hiccup and Astrid, childhood bestfriends, get separated for 5 long years when Stoick sends Hiccup off to boarding school. They both part ways with un...
7.4K 281 3
Modern Valentine's Day AU. Roped in to help her friend juggle three simultaneous dates on Valentine's Day, Astrid Hofferson finds herself opposite th...
168K 5.2K 34
Modern AU. Returning to Berk to visit her family, internationally-renowned soccer star Astrid Hofferson literally runs into old school friend Hiccup...