Second Chances (Brett Talbot)

By KittyCat1306

Lily Dunbar hated him. She hated everything about him. His face. His personality. His snide comments. How he... More

Stiff Reunions
Shocking Surprises
Wrong Beta
Awkwardness
Missing Twin
Brother Found
Bad Idea
Back To School
Lacrosse Practice
Monstrous Things
I'm Lost Without You
Who Am I
Tied Together With A Smile
A Combination
Stronger Than You Think
Over
I Like Him
Guts

Into The Woods

20.6K 487 143
By KittyCat1306

We both eat in silence then I clear away the plates into the sink. I then run upstairs grabbing my phone and a good pair of sneakers and run back downstairs to see Brett standing next to the door.

"Okay, let's go," I tell him and he nods.

Luckily my house is only a quarter mile away from where the woods starts since we didn't have an extra car because both of my parents are at work.

Unfortunately the whole way there was an awkward silence.

We walked side by side, but Brett and I didn't say a word to each other all the way to the woods and still haven't spoken in the ten minutes that we've been walking on the path that Liam usually jogs on looking for signs of my supernatural twin.

I finally decide to break the silence with a question I've been pondering since I got home.

"Hey, Brett?" I ask, taking a glance at him. He catches my glance and raises his eyebrows.

"Yeah?" He says, implying for me to go on.

"Why are you helping me find Liam? I mean you hate each other so why would you torture yourself by spending time with me alone in the woods looking for my brother who hates your guts?"

His back gets a bit stiffer and he looks down at his feet, biting his lip in thought. If I say he doesn't look hot right now I'd be lying.

"Well for one thing, I owe both you and Scott for saving my life," he replies after a few seconds of silence. "Also, I respect Scott and as a member of a pack, I know that he is frantically searching for his beta like Liam's his own son. Scott is a good person and no good alpha like that deserves to have one of their betas killed."

"I never thought of it that way," I admit in a quiet voice.

What Brett said really made me think. Up until now I was so focused on how upset I was that Liam is missing, but I never stopped to think about how Scott feels. Obviously I have known Liam much longer than him, but ever since Scott turned Liam, they have a bond between each other as if they are almost brothers. It's probably killing Scott that he can't find Liam.

"Plus, this isn't torturous to me," he adds, his mouth slowly morphing into his signature smirk.

Oh no...

"Apart from not seeing you in a skirt, I'd say it's quiet pleasing to be with you," he says with a chuckle. "Although I can't stand that shirt. I could give you my sweatshirt," he suggests, gesturing to is green Devonford Prep Lacrosse hoodie. "Actually, that would be kinda hot."

I scoff and his grin gets wider. "You disgust me," I tell him, waking a few paces ahead of him.

"No, I don't," he remarks, catching up to me and wrapping his arm around my waist to pull me closer. "I think it's quite the opposite actually. I bet that you think I'm hot."

"As if," I shoot back, trying to get away from him.

"Then why did you not push me away sooner at the animal hospital?" He questions me, his eyebrows raised as he looks down at me.

"I was obviously delirious from blood loss and lack of food," I reply, looking away from him so he wouldn't see my blush.

"Keep telling yourself that, princess," he whispers hotly, leaning in so our faces are inches away.

"Stop, Brett," I tell him, pushing him away. I look up at him and his smile falls. "I don't have the time or the energy to deal with your jokes and comments right now.We need to find Liam. That's why you're here. That's why I'm here. You can be a hormonal dick to me all you want after we find him, but right now I need you to help me, please." My voice cracks at the and of my little speech, displaying my full vulnerability.

He frowns looking down at the ground. A few moments of silence pass but he speaks up. "I'm sorry," he mumbles.

The apology takes me off guard. I stare at him in confusion as he bites his lip and glances back up at me.

"I'm sorry," he repeats, looking down at me, his blue eyes unreadable. "I know I'm an dick sometimes and I know that it's not an excuse, but I'm just so used to being an ass to you. I keep forgetting I can-" He stops short suddenly, look almost scared.

"Forgetting what?" I ask him.

"Nothing," he mutters, his expression hardens. "It doesn't matter. Let's go find Liam. We must be getting close to where Mason said they were split up. That must be where something happened if something did actually happen."

He walks away from me, not looking to see if I'm following him. I stand there confused about what happened.

What just happened?

Brett Talbot apologized to me then he cut himself off looking almost scared.

"Are you coming?" Brett calls, still not looking back at me.

I catch up and fall in step beside him. His eyes dart all around except in my direction.

What's wrong with him? What does he keep forgetting?

He suddenly stops short his head tilted upward like a wolf tracking its prey. Now that I think of it, he is actually part wolf.

We are standing at an intersection between the path and the road that winds its way through the woods.

"I smell blood," Brett says. I don't smell anything besides trees, but he has supernatural smell so I'll take his word for it.

"Whose blood?" I ask looking around for any signs.

"I can't really tell. It might be Liam's," he says. "I can also smell Garrett."

My blood runs cold and I start to panic. I look around wildly for signs of my brother.

"Liam!" I shout out to him. "Liam! Where are you!"

I run out into the middle of the deserted road and do a 360 degree turn

"Liam, please!" I call out in almost a beg. "It's me, Lily. I just want to know you're okay."

My voice is barely above a whisper as I sink to my knees on the road. It's dark now and I can barely see around me in the moonlight. I feel suffocated in the darkness, drowning in the fear that my brother is dead.

My breathing is labored as I squeeze my eyes shut, trying to think of where Garrett could have taken Liam.

Did he stab Liam like he did Brett? And was it also poisoned with wolfsbane? If so he could be dead right now.

All I could think of is Liam, my Liam, my twin brother, dead or dying in this big forest. Tears prick my eyes and I feel them slide down my cheeks.

I can't handle it. I want to scream. I want to tear my hair out. I want to punch Garrett over and over again for his betrayal against Liam and I.

How could he? How could my friend be a murderer and act like a normal high schooler, then he goes after his friends and kills them for money? What type of sick person does that?

I feel someone grab me in the dark, pulling me up. I struggle against the strong arms but they hold me tightly.

It's Garrett! He's come to kill me now for revenge since I got Violet arrested.

"Hey, hey, it's me. It's Brett," I hear Brett's voice in my ear. I instantly relax and he lets go of me.

I turn around to face him and without warning, he pulls me into a hug. I freeze at first but then relax against him. I put aside all of my history with the Brett; everything I have against him and all that he's said and done to me, and just let him hold me as I grip tightly onto the front of his sweatshirt.

He's warm. Warmer than any normal human, but maybe that's another werewolf thing. My head is resting on his chest and I feel his cheek on the top of my head.

"We'll keep looking," Brett tells me.

"Okay," I say in a horse whisper.

He lets go of me and steps back. Without Brett's body heat, I suddenly feel a chill and shiver in the cold, night air.

"Are you cold?" Brett asks me.

"No, I'm fine," I lie. "I'm just a bit chilly." I fold my arms in front of me for warmth, not wanting to show anymore weakness to him. He's already seen me this low. I need to show him that I'm strong.

Brett sighs, obviously not convinced. He reaches back and pulls off his green lacrosse hoodie in one swift movement. He holds it out to me.

"I said I'm not cold," I tell him. "Look we are wasting time. We need to find Liam."

"Just take it. I know your lying. I can tell," he replies. "You're wasting time by arguing with me."

Too exhausted to argue with him, I huff and grab the hoodie and pull it over my head. It's way to big for me so the sleeves are over my hands and it goes to my mid thigh making it look like I'm not wearing any pants. It's soft and still warm from his body heat.

"Better?" he asks.

I nod, not looking at him. "Thanks," I mumble. "Let's go."

At that moment, Brett freezes, his head tilted as if he hears something.

"What is it?" I ask him.

"A werewolf howl for help," Brett says, not looking at me.

I have a sharp intake of breath. "Liam," I whisper.

~•*•~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

206K 4.7K 75
- in which Theo discovers feelings he never even knew existed, aimed toward a certain blue-eyed beta. Little did he know, the beta could easily retur...
402K 8.2K 20
"You are not a monster. Not to me." After the recent death of Allison Argent, Aspen Martin's world fell apart. Her sister, Lydia, was depressed, Asp...
32.3K 551 24
(EDITING) 𝐈𝐍 π–π‡πˆπ‚π‡ Liam Dunbar finds himself entangled with the youngest Stilinksi, who happens to be a witch alternative universe [ liam dunb...
856K 22.9K 61
Derek was supposed to hate Maeve, he had to hate Maeve. Yet, he found himself undeniably in love with her. COMPLETE ( with epilogue and bonus chapter...