Our Fated Tail

By CheyenneMathern

"They left me here to die. Chained to a huge rock, dressed in a thin red dress that flowed around my feet."... More

Anilena
Seren
Anilena
Seren
Anilena
Seren
Anilena
Seren
Anilena
Seren
Anilena
Quick note!
Quick Note!
Anilena
Seren
Writing Update! Semi-Important!
Anilena
Update Report!
Seren
Anilena
Seren
Anilena
Sad Update!
Seren
Epilogue

Seren

2.3K 110 7
By CheyenneMathern

Seren

"I love you, too."

She kissed me once more before Kasey swooped in. His arm went around her waist, making her shudder as slime coated her skin. They went out a window, Anilena turning back to give me a glassy eyed look. When they were out of view, I went to the throne room. Father was sitting on his throne, gazing down at Georgia's body. Healers were trying to figure out what exactly how this happened. I swallowed back bile and looked at the child in my arms. He was sniffling while his lip quivered. When I approached my father, something Kasey had said clicked into my head. He'd asked Anilena what was for dinner, right after she'd asked about...

"Father, tell the guards to search the kitchen for Cobius."

Three guards went off to search while I handed Aiden to my father. He played with his tail, trying to grab it without falling over. "Where is Anilena, Seren."

I looked up at my father just as the guards came back, a body wrapped in a net just like Georgia. I had to look away from my best friend being dropped to the floor. Father rocked Aiden as we all stared at the two people side by side, subjected to the same torture as the other. "She's with Kasey. He's not dead, father. He's a vodenjak. He's the one who killed Cobius and Georgia, Kasey was Anilena's fiance He was in Georgia's room with Aiden so Anilena gave herself up to save our son." I rans my hands through my hair in frustration and anxiety. "She said to trust her, but the last time I did that, she was almost killed!"

"Seren, you need to calm down. You won't help her if all you do is yell." I look at my father. Is he insane? My fiance is missing with a psychotic murderer. "Don't look at me like that. You can't just go barging into a vodenjak lair and expect anyone to come out alive. These creatures are not unreasonable but very deadly." He lifted Aiden in the air, smiling as he squealed. "They are gatherers and bargainers."

"Kasey doesn't bargain. He never has according to Anilena," I spat. "We can't bargain with someone if they go against it."

"Seren," he sighed. "I know these creatures. Even if they hadn't in their past lives, they will always be drawn in by a deal. So, we find something Kasey wants, and then we bargain it for Anilena. You will have your woman back soon. But you need to trust me and her."

I watched as he carelessly played with Aiden. As if this all never bothered him. But I was pacing, staring at my deceased friends, kicking up sand with my tail, and glaring at my father for his carefree attitude. After a few hours, Aiden had been fed and was now sleeping in my arms as I continued my pacing. By now my tail was beginning to cramp and I cursed the appendage for not holding out longer. Giving up, I slumped into my throne, carefully maneuvering my sleeping child in my arms. Father was talking to some of the military mers and trying to dig up things on Kasey. His whole life, his time with the mafia and Anilena. We would have to wait a few days, but he was confident that we'd find something on Kasey. One of the maids had brought Aiden's crib into the throne room so I could lay him down as a group of guards came in.

"We have found Kasey Branson's location. It is in the ancient caverns by the Archives."

I looked over at my father, waiting for his answer. He sat straight, setting his back against the throne, and nodded. "Very good, Gregian. I'd like you to all join the others in their searches."

I deflated, trying to hide my disappointment. This was going to take a while.

There were only twenty guards who had reported back with any news on Kasey and Anilena. They constantly moved locations over the last ten days. One guard had brought back the ring and that was one of the hardest days. I had left Aiden with my father and stayed in my room, sobbing. It wasn't something I did often, but it felt like I had really lost her. She was trying her hardest, but I wondered how long it would take for someone to figure out something before I went awol. There were several times where I had heard that he'd hit her and I would have to be detained. Aiden was growing bigger and looked like he was almost a year old. I'd thought of taking Aiden up to Anilena's parents' in case things got crazy. Father had said to wait until we had a plan set out for Kasey. So I was going to wait.

"She isn't going to survive," a woman whispered outside my door. I stopped bouncing Aiden on my chest and looked at the door. "Poor prince. He has to raise the little bastard by himself. Maybe King Arkeanus will set a bride for him after this blows over."

Another woman laughed quietly. "And what? Do you think he'd pick one of us to be his son's bride?"

"My daughter would rule in place of the boy of course. We can't have the kingdom being run by a nasty abomination."

I held Aiden to my chest as I thought of their words. My son is not an abomination or incapable of running the kingdom. And I know that she's still alive. Nothing will stop me from finding her. Even if it means that I have to find her like Georgia and Cobius.

Twelve days. It's been twelves days since she's been gone. I had Aiden in his crib, drawing shapes in the air for him like I'd done once for his mother. He'd jump up and reach for them, squeaking when they shattered. Father was looking through some of the details when a group of guards came rushing in. I ignored them, knowing it was just news of them switching locations or some useless news on his gang life.

"Your Majesty," someone huffed. "There was a struggle. The woman was trying to escape the man but he'd managed to tie her up again. They're back at the ancient caverns!"

"What is in your hand, Gregian?"

"A note sir. For the prince." I whirled around and looked at him. He held out a brown piece of paper that looked a lot like a wrapper. "They dropped in when they were leaving their last location, Your Highness. We grabbed it before the man could see us."

"Thank you," I said and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Thank you very much. This means a lot to me." They nodded and I read the paper aloud. "My dearest Eren," I began. "Kasey has had me for a while now. I can sense your guards watching us and for that I am grateful. Incase you were wondering, Kasey has left me for a minute to get food. So I am writing this to you. Kasey wants you. He wants to kill you because he thinks it will make me love him. But I had told him that it wouldn't work. I told him that I could find him someone that was like me. I have convinced him to take what I could give him." We all looked at each other. Was Anilena honestly going to give a young, innocent woman up to save herself. Even I was apprehensive about it. I shook it off and continued. "Before you explode, I have no intention of giving up an innocent. Arkeanus had taken me to the prisons a few days after you turned me. There was a young woman who had slaughtered a group of guards and a few nobles." I looked at my father. "You let her around someone like that?"

He scoffed. "Oh please. I didn't lead her there, she'd dragged me. Continue," he ordered. I smirked at the flush of his cheeks.

"She looks like me. The same auburn hair and green eyes. She has the death penalty hanging over her head and if she were stuck with Kasey, she'd wish she was dead. Bring her to the caverns by the Archives. Kasey knows you patrol there. I don't want her to be set free to him, but if you play your cards right, you can kill Kasey. Arkeanus will know how. Tell the old man I want to see him kill the bastard." Father coughed and looked at his hands grinning. I rolled my eyes. "And Eren, be careful. Don't go into this without thinking. I want you to stay out of it and stay with Aiden. If I see you there or even sense you in the slightest, I will hurt you until you can't walk for a week. You can't get hurt..." I choked on a lump in my throat before I continued, my voice soft. "Or I'd never forgive myself. If you have to, hide on land with my parents. How is Aiden? I know you are taking the best care of him for me. I'm okay here. I've been hit a few times, but it just brings back a bittersweet nostalgia. I love you, Seren. Don't you dare get yourself killed. Wait for me and trust me like I said. Keep my baby boy safe, okay? I love you both. Kiss my son for me, darling. I'll see you soon."

Aiden started to smack his hands against the crib and I dropped the note. He watched it float to the ground before erupting into loud giggles that made everyone jump. Father coughed and clapped his hands together. We all turned to him as I scooped Aiden into my arms. "I want the woman bound and brought up here now. If the woman is to be a decoy, she has to match the description of Anilena. Go," he demanded. I watched them go and placed a kiss on Aiden's nose. He grinned his little smile, showing two teeth. They had come in the week before and I'd been broken that his mother wasn't there to see it. Father came over and picked up Anilena's note before smiling at me. "You've got yourself a spitfire, son. She's going to be fun, but I think you should take the boy to her parents. I'm sure that they will be able to keep you both safe."

I moved Aiden onto my hip and winced as he hit my chin. "I'll take Aiden to his grandparents, but I'm going with you. She will just have to learn to live with the fact that I'm not letting her do this without me. She has a habit of this happening. Kasey will die and I will have Anilena by my side."

He nodded and I was dismissed to get ready to depart. Aiden was babbling and waving at people that moved past us. At one point, he'd snatched a woman's long white hair, screaming with giggles. When I'd pulled it from his grasp apologizing for his behavior, he cried when the elderly woman looked at him. I realized he thought he'd grabbed his mother's hair. I hurried to get out of the palace and started swimming as fast as possible to the surface. Schools of fish swam around us as I weaved around them. Aiden was quiet and stared at all the bright colors as I moved through the water as fast as I could. By the time we got to the surface, it was nearing nightfall and Aiden was nodding off. After making sure that the coast was clear, I got out of the water and carried Aiden to the boat. I dressed both of us and grabbed the stroller that was still on the floor from the last time. I wondered if anyone else had come into this boat.

I strapped him in and shrugged on a jacket before leaving the docks. None of the men that were here a month ago were prowling about. Nobody was here actually. We walked out of the gates and that's when I saw people. They were playing on porches, in their yards, or just walking about. The sun was beginning to set as I pushed Aiden in the stroller. People stared at us and I tried to ignore them. But a police officer pulled over to my side of the road and got out.

"Can I help you, sir." I made sure that Aiden hadn't woken up as I addressed the man.

"What are you doing, son?" His voice was gruff and I had to fight the urge to hit him. I didn't have time for this right now.

"I'm taking my son to visit his grandparents." Aiden then decided to start crying. I groaned and took him out of the stroller. "His mother is away at the moment so I was going to visit. Is that okay?"

He puffed his chest up, making me raise a brow. "We've seen you and Ray here. I've got men on you. That family has told us all about you and Ray. I don't know what you did to her but you brought that young lady back looking like a different person. If you cause any problems, I'll have you locked up."

Aiden pulled on my ear and I winced. "Aiden, buddy, let daddy's ear go," I said gently taking his hand away. I turned to the officer. "Look, things happened, sure. But it wasn't me. I just want to let the Connors see their grandson." He grunted and turned away. As he drove off I put Aiden back into his seat before going back towards Anilena's parents' home. Andrew was sitting on the porch, a young girl in his arms, and laughing. When he saw me, his face lit up some more. "Andrew, it's your sister."

He stood up, leaving the girl staring at me like I was food. "What happened? Why are you two here?"

I need you guys to watch Aiden. Anilena is fine. We're going to go on a short trip, so we need someone to watch him. I thought you'd like to volunteer."

Andrew calmed down and grinned. "Sure! I'll get mom and dad." He left, completely ignoring his friend.

I crouched down in front of my son, ignoring the girl. "Hey buddy! Daddy's going to leave you with mommy's family for a bit." He gurgled and grabbed for my jacket collar. "Hey now, play nice, little man." For a moment I shook my head chuckling. "Good grief I'm turning into your mother."

"He's adorable." I turned towards the nasally voice. "He's yours?"

"Yes. He's Andrew's sister's and mine."

She shrugged. "Are you married or engaged?" I thought of the ring in my room back home. I shook my head and watched with wide eyes as she proceeded to try wrapping herself around me. "How nice. I just adore children."

"D-don't you think this is inappropriate? Your w-with Andrew."

She scrunched her nose at me. "Well he isn't as top grade as you are, sweetie. Just think of how cute our babies would be."

Okay, this leech is insane. "Look, miss," I began as Andrew came out. I shot him a frightened look and mouthed for help. "Andrew! Mr. and Mrs. Connors! How great to see you," I said with clenched teeth. "I brought Aiden with me." I gave out sigh of relief when Andrew pulled the girl away from me. I scowled at his grin.

"Oh, Eren! Don't you look gorgeous!" Mrs. Connors said happily. She crouched in front of the stroller. "Hey little man! Where's mommy?" She looked up at me. "Will Anilena be coming?"

I smiled. "No. We've got some business to take to another...company for the weekend. Is it okay if you watch Aiden for us?"

"Don't you have a nanny or someone in that palace of yours?" Her husband asked.

I glanced at the girl, flinching as she became even more interested. "You have a palace?"

"Oh no, dear," Mrs. Connors said and elbowed her husband. "He just meant that Eren lives on a very large estate."

I nodded. "Anyway, I really need to go get Anilena. Um, there should be supplies for a few days in the diaper bag. If not, there's some extra money for more."

"Thank you, Eren. I think we'll be just fine here."

I smiled at them before I started to back away. Before I could turn around, Andrew reached out and grabbed my arm. "Take care of her."

I nodded and the left. I made my way down the streets as fast as I could to try and avoid confrontation with the police officer. Was the incident earlier even necessary? At least it's nice to know that everyone had a soft spot for her. When I reached the dock, I undressed in the boat, locked it up, then jumped in the water. Once my tail had formed, I was off. I had to get back before the soldiers went with the woman to get Anilena. It was going to be dawn by the time they left and I wasn't going to get home until midnight.

I flinched as I passed a shoal of squids as they came out to the darkened waters. Currents began to fluctuate and become rougher as I pushed harder. By the time I got to the gates, I was a mess. My tail ached, my muscles were sore, and there were scratches and gashes from where I'd swam into coral reefs I hadn't seen through the dark. Two of the female guards spotted me and came at me. I was dragged to the infirmary and the healers were all over me. Algenae was laying away from everyone, and had her hands wrapped in ropes and chains they must've found in a sunken ship, holding her to the floor. They seem to have bound her after the altercation with Anilena. I smiled at her smugly, watching her tug on her chains violently until a healer sedated her.

"Where is my son?" We all looked to the doorway where the king was dressed in armor from several shipwrecks. I flinched as the man pulling out coral straightened, in sequence, stabbing it into the wound. I raised my arm. "They have found the girl. Good heavens, child. What happened to you?"

"I dropped Aiden off at the Connors' house." One of the healers pricked me and I scowled at them. As I was being wrapped in seaweed gauze, Father came to me. Nobody moved to look at him and they left us when I was finished, I smiled smugly at Algenae as she was dragged out, making her thrash in her watchers' arms. My father gave me a disapproving frown but I could see the corners of his lips twisting up. "So they have the woman," I asked getting up. "Let's go. We're wasting time here."

I followed him out of the room and we swam down the halls. I wanted to get down to the throne room, grab this woman, and save Anilena. I was already tingling in nerves from leaving Aiden with her parents. When we got down to the room, I stopped. The frame was right, the skin tone was perfect and I swore that hair was her's. I swam up to them immediately, grabbing a fist of the white silk and spun the woman around, glaring into her hazel eyes. I was suddenly furious. They had changed her hair white. Just like Anilena's and it was heartbreaking when I had to remember that it was another mer. She hissed and tried clawing at my hand, struggling against the iron restraints around her wrists. I let her go, swimming back fast and crashing into my father's chest. Her looked down at me nodding grimly. This was the woman to save Anilena. This could've been her twin. Guards gripped her upper arms and we started our way to the Archives.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

246K 9.8K 61
Lara Tsovikian wasn't someone that went out much or engaged in social events. The ocean was the only place where Lara spent most of her time and felt...
280 42 8
Elizabeth is a small town gal who lives alone in a house by the beach. Sure she's got the money and the beauty, but all she's ever wanted was peace...
4.7M 252K 34
Those who were taken... They never came back, dragged beneath the waves never to return. Their haunting screams were a symbol of their horrific death...
187K 9.2K 41
What if you fell in love with a myth? What if that myth fell in love with you, and you didn't know it? That pretty much sums up Nerina Winters' life...