Seren

Seren

"I love you, too."

She kissed me once more before Kasey swooped in. His arm went around her waist, making her shudder as slime coated her skin. They went out a window, Anilena turning back to give me a glassy eyed look. When they were out of view, I went to the throne room. Father was sitting on his throne, gazing down at Georgia's body. Healers were trying to figure out what exactly how this happened. I swallowed back bile and looked at the child in my arms. He was sniffling while his lip quivered. When I approached my father, something Kasey had said clicked into my head. He'd asked Anilena what was for dinner, right after she'd asked about...

"Father, tell the guards to search the kitchen for Cobius."

Three guards went off to search while I handed Aiden to my father. He played with his tail, trying to grab it without falling over. "Where is Anilena, Seren."

I looked up at my father just as the guards came back, a body wrapped in a net just like Georgia. I had to look away from my best friend being dropped to the floor. Father rocked Aiden as we all stared at the two people side by side, subjected to the same torture as the other. "She's with Kasey. He's not dead, father. He's a vodenjak. He's the one who killed Cobius and Georgia, Kasey was Anilena's fiance He was in Georgia's room with Aiden so Anilena gave herself up to save our son." I rans my hands through my hair in frustration and anxiety. "She said to trust her, but the last time I did that, she was almost killed!"

"Seren, you need to calm down. You won't help her if all you do is yell." I look at my father. Is he insane? My fiance is missing with a psychotic murderer. "Don't look at me like that. You can't just go barging into a vodenjak lair and expect anyone to come out alive. These creatures are not unreasonable but very deadly." He lifted Aiden in the air, smiling as he squealed. "They are gatherers and bargainers."

"Kasey doesn't bargain. He never has according to Anilena," I spat. "We can't bargain with someone if they go against it."

"Seren," he sighed. "I know these creatures. Even if they hadn't in their past lives, they will always be drawn in by a deal. So, we find something Kasey wants, and then we bargain it for Anilena. You will have your woman back soon. But you need to trust me and her."

I watched as he carelessly played with Aiden. As if this all never bothered him. But I was pacing, staring at my deceased friends, kicking up sand with my tail, and glaring at my father for his carefree attitude. After a few hours, Aiden had been fed and was now sleeping in my arms as I continued my pacing. By now my tail was beginning to cramp and I cursed the appendage for not holding out longer. Giving up, I slumped into my throne, carefully maneuvering my sleeping child in my arms. Father was talking to some of the military mers and trying to dig up things on Kasey. His whole life, his time with the mafia and Anilena. We would have to wait a few days, but he was confident that we'd find something on Kasey. One of the maids had brought Aiden's crib into the throne room so I could lay him down as a group of guards came in.

"We have found Kasey Branson's location. It is in the ancient caverns by the Archives."

I looked over at my father, waiting for his answer. He sat straight, setting his back against the throne, and nodded. "Very good, Gregian. I'd like you to all join the others in their searches."

I deflated, trying to hide my disappointment. This was going to take a while.

There were only twenty guards who had reported back with any news on Kasey and Anilena. They constantly moved locations over the last ten days. One guard had brought back the ring and that was one of the hardest days. I had left Aiden with my father and stayed in my room, sobbing. It wasn't something I did often, but it felt like I had really lost her. She was trying her hardest, but I wondered how long it would take for someone to figure out something before I went awol. There were several times where I had heard that he'd hit her and I would have to be detained. Aiden was growing bigger and looked like he was almost a year old. I'd thought of taking Aiden up to Anilena's parents' in case things got crazy. Father had said to wait until we had a plan set out for Kasey. So I was going to wait.