Under the Gray Willow Tree

By angelyntjf

Meet Willow Rayne, the girl who lost her family on that one fateful day. And now, meet Gray Lopez, the guy wi... More

Foreword
Tapas
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Epilogue

Chapter 20

6.3K 112 47
By angelyntjf

After that text message last night, I didn't dare to do anything else. I didn't dare to do anything else because I was afraid that there would be someone watching me, someone eyeing on me, someone spying my every move. Maybe there was. So, I also did not dare to open the envelope – or the folder either – which kind of pissed me out as I was dying to know what was inside.

I only dared to open it the next day, but I left the folder untouched. I carefully tore open the slightly yellowish envelope. It looked very antique, as it had those kind of red seals that was used all the time in those antique times.

I quickly emptied the contents of the envelope on my bed. There were a bunch of paper in it, all yellowed with age. Which made me wonder: how long has this envelope been kept for?

I picked up the biggest piece, which was folded in half, and unfolded it. I smoothen it out on my bed. It was a... Letter... An 'information letter' according to the title on the top. More than that. The title has... My father's name. Vincent Rayne. An 'information letter' on Vincent Rayne. What did he possibly do?

Honestly speaking, looking from an outsider's point of view, it has everything one ever needs to know. Some things, even I don't know, or even understand. But... Why? Why is this here? Why is there a letter about Dad?

Who is the sender?

Who was this addressed to?

And most of all, why in the world does Desmond have this?

I unfolded the another two more papers. This time, they were 'information letters' about my sis and my mum respectively. And that still brings up the question: why in the world does Desmond have this? Is he, like, a stalker or something? Why does he have all of these information?

I was almost scared to open the last one.

But I still did it anyway; go thank my curiosity for it.

Not surprisingly, the last one was about me. Everything about me. Everything imaginable that all pointed to the name 'Willow Rayne'. It has everything. From my school schedule to my list of favourites to my GPA to my after-school activities. Heck, even my phone number, FB account and Twitter username are in there!

Who is this guy? This gives me the impression of him being a very... Creepy. Person. Honestly speaking, it's almost as if he wants me to read it. Well, that's the impression I've gotten anyway. It's almost as if... He's begging me to read it.

I checked the envelope once more and even shook it vigorously to make sure that there aren't anything that I had missed out on. True enough, I did. A small piece of paper – that is not yellowed – and a yellow Sticky Note fell out of it and fluttered onto the bed.

With extremely shaky hands, I picked up the small piece of paper, not wanting to read what's on the Sticky Note. I unfolded it. It was a letter. And it was dated... Almost five whole years ago. And I read it, and this is what it read:

"Desmond...

I will pay you any sum of money, any sum at all, to get this job done. It's very crucial that it's done properly. I will pay you any sum, just open your mouth and ask. Whatever digits you have in your head, just tell me. I know I can just tell you all this orally anytime, but I think it would be easier for everyone if I just wrote this. You should know the reason I am requesting you to do this job for me; I've told you countless times already. I want you to do this for the benefit of my brother. My poor, poor brother. Who doesn't know what's important and what's not. Who has gotten his priorities wrong. Who doesn't know what we have in store for him. So much, and he has to fulfil it. And if you get this job done, you'll get the only distraction out of the way. He has to know that what we have is so much more than anything the world has to offer for him – including getting himself a girlfriend. Remember baby, anything? Just ask.

Love always,

Xoxo, Dina."

Who... Who is this Dina? Do I know her? And more importantly, what are they talking about? Who is this 'Dina' girl as she claims she is? And who is her brother? Do I know them personally?

Wait, it couldn't be. No, I don't think it's the same person I am thinking of, so I just waved the thought away, clearly as worthless as it was when it came into my mind just now. But still... There could be a possibility... But I doubt so.

I do not understand anything at the moment. Maybe I will never understand anything. Considering the fact than no one ever tries to tell me anything about it.

Back to the topic. What are they talking about? They do not make any sense at all; well, not to me anyway. I don't understand what they're trying to say. But... This was dated five years back, though it looks like this letter could be written a whole fifty years back! Maybe even a hundred!

They seem to be plotting something against... My family? Maybe. But... My family's practically already dead. But then again, this was before the accident.

So, there could be a possibility.

I don't feel like reading the words written on the Sticky Note, not now, not ever. So, I crumpled it up to a ball of yellow paper and tossed it into the dustbin.

"Willow?" someone's voice reached my ears.

I panicked for a split second. Then, I realised that the most obvious – and sensible – thing to do is to keep everything. I hastily scooped up the rest of the papers and stuffed them back into the envelope. And dumped them into the drawer by my bedside drawer.

The door swung open.

"H... Hi..." I panted when Gray came in.

"Hi..." he replied awkwardly, maybe even sensing that I was hiding something.

If he ever did sensed something, I will never know, because he never said anything. Instead, he made his way over to my bed and sat down, making himself comfortable at the same time.

"What do you want?" I asked.

And for some odd reason, a huge, goofy grin made its way onto his face. I looked at him curiously. What is he thinking about?

"What are you doing later? Any plans?"

"Nope. I have no plans... And I have got nothing to do later, why?" I inquired.

He nodded knowingly. "Keep yourself free. I am coming back at two to pick you up."

I cocked my head and looked at him very, very curiously. "Why?"

He smirked. Oh no, not that annoying smirk! "Secret."

I pursed my lips at him. "Come on! Tell me!"

The cunning smirk stayed on his face. "Wait and see."

I fake pouted. "No fair! You know I hate secrets!"

He shrugged. "Too bad then. You will just have to wait and see. After all, it's called a 'secret' for a reason."

"Hmph!"

He chuckled, and messed up my hair for the third time that weekend.

He got up and made a beeline for the door. Apparently, he wasn't planning on staying long anyway. "Don't dress up too formally. Dress... Casually."

I watched him from behind as he left the apartment. I tossed myself back onto my bed and sighed, staring at the white ceiling above me at the same time.

"Why?" I whined, supposedly at Gray, but he's not here anymore.

I sighed once more, and thought about the 'date' this afternoon.

I hate surprises...

And lies...

Or untold truths...

These three are pretty much the same thing. To me anyway. But to me, the worst among the three is the last one: untold truths. It makes me feel like I don't know anything. It makes me feel so ignorant. And I don't like that feeling.

I hope Gray knows that I hate these three. I don't think he does. But even if he did, he didn't care. He told me a lie. And then gave me a surprise. And he didn't tell me something that I am supposed to know. How do I know this? Well, I can sense it.

And I am pretty sure he is doing it once again. Because, somehow, that feeling of him not telling me something that I am supposed to know – that I have the right to know – is getting stronger. And that is the only sign that I have that tells me that he didn't tell me something. Something... Big.

~~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~~

I oddly have the sudden urge to wear a dress on this outing with Gray. Which is very weird, considering the fact that I hate dresses. Who cares? I randomly selected a white summer dress I have been meaning to wear this year, even though it's only the beginning of February.

I also managed to dig out a cream coloured, long sleeved overcoat that reaches just below my knee. I threw it on and started hoping that it would not be too cold today. I grabbed a pair of brown, leather gloves (I have no idea how I got so many leather gloves) as well as a pair of denim ballet flats.

Perfect.

For a casual outing anyway.

It is so... Casual and nice.

And it was only then did I realise how vain I have been feeling recently. Normally, I do not wear all these weird and fancy clothes. Normally, I don't really care what I wear. But now...? Urgh! My face screwed up in disgust. At myself.

Disgusted at the different types of clothing. Disgusted at the clothes those extreme vain kind of girls always wear. Disgusted at myself for being so vain recently.

The ring of the doorbell echoed throughout the whole apartment.

"Coming!" I yelled, putting on my other shoe at the same time; not bothering about socks or tights.

Once I got it on, I rushed to the door and yanked it open. Gray was standing there, in a plain blue shirt and jeans, as well as a black jacket. He was also carrying... A bouquet of multi-coloured roses?

I gasped in shock.

"For you, my dearest Willow," he said formally, handing the flowers to me.

I took it. "Th... Thank you..." I stuttered.

"Oh, and happy birthday."

It's my birthday?

I think I said that out loud, because Gray's next statement answered my thought. "Oh yes, Willow. It's your birthday. It's the fourteenth of February."

Wow. It's already my birthday. I thought that it was only the start of February. And yes people, you heard right. My birthday is on Valentine's day. Which is kind of cute, if you ask me.

"So, shall we go then?"

I shrugged nonchalantly, as if I didn't mind.

"Oh come on!"

I giggled at his reaction.

"Shall we go?" he tried again.

I nodded enthusiastically. "Of course."

We walked towards his car and got in; with him in the driver's seat and me in the passenger's seat. He started the car engine.

"Where are we going?" I asked; hopefully he will tell me this time.

He snickered. "Haven't I told you already that it's a secret? Aren't secrets called 'secrets' for a reason?"

"True... True..." I answered. "But still... Come on!"

But he stayed silent, ignoring my reply, keeping his eyes glued onto the road ahead of us. I don't know why, but for some reason, I had the feeling that this is going to be a long drive... Who knows? Maybe I'm right. Because as they always say, a girl's instinct is always right.

is it okay? I hope it is! :D Anyways, til next time! :D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

356 14 13
A young girl has accident that leaves her blind. After five years of taking care of her, her father finds out that he has cancer. He began to worry...
539 22 30
Lyla is a trying student and an admirable daughter who tries to get through her senior year without any worries. But like every other person, her wor...
18.1K 1.7K 40
"I want how it was before. I want it all with you in my life again... I'm asking you to stay." Miles Cobain-Smith An aloof and detached logician, he...
6.4K 661 55
"The fact that I was murdered didn't come as a surprise; it was the fact that it hadn't happened sooner which shocked me." High school senior, Caitly...