Cherry Blossom Snow

By FerretLord

A humorous original tale of love, courage, diplomacy, politics, furry aliens, space travel, self-discovery, t... More

Prologue
Alien Abduction
Leaving Earth
Growing Up
Peace Between Worlds
Added Company
A Series of Easily Avoidable Conflicts
The United Galactic Confederation
Seraphim
A New Beginning
A Brief Encounter
A Change of Pace
The Intergalactic Trading Corporation
Negotiations
Nikita
New Home
Alice
Compassion and Understanding
A Long Overdue Reunion
Friendship
Politics as Usual
The Stone
Heist Plan
Extreme Measures
Breaking Point
Experiments
No Turning Back
Diplomacy
Moving On
Rico
Investigation
Family Matters
Chikara
Acting Governor
Segue
Under New Leadership
Vengeance
Independence
Back Home
Resistance
Zorislava
Germany
Fall of Empires
Covert Operations
Conflict Resolution
Mirienna's Job
Parting Ways
Epilogue

Power Struggles

192 3 1
By FerretLord

Mithra had accomplished remarkably little early in life. He had assumed he was going to live forever, and thus figured he had no reason to rush anything. However, with the passage of time, he noticed he was aging, slowly but steadily. As he struggled to come to terms with his own mortality, he entered politics in hopes of leaving behind a legacy that would stand the test of time. Mithra had light brown skin and long silver hair that reached the floor. He wore a long white robe in which he kept concealed weapons and walked with an ornate cane. With his office secured, Mithra answered a transmission from Xyero.

"How are things on your end?" asked Mithra.

"Igor seems to have won over the favor of the rest of the Central Committee," said Xyero. "Most of our work is of course still focused on preparing for a revolt. But we would do well not to underestimate the power of our plant's mastery of manipulation."

"Even if your plan succeeds, you'll need to handle the chaos that's bound to follow."

"Things are moving slowly," said Xyero. "Still, we have been growing in strength. It will, however, be quite some time before we could even consider carrying out the final objective."

"Well, I have good news," said Mithra. "A proposal has been submitted to lift the embargo. It may take a few years before it comes up for discussion and a vote, but from the response after the initial submission, this one actually seems like it stands a good chance of getting passed. If and when that happens, we can send in reinforcements with greater ease."

"That would be great. I have your word that when you get what you want, I may return home."

"Of course. I don't blame you. My father got what he deserved for how he treated my mother. Still, some others don't see it that way. But once I have demonstrated my power, I will never again have to cave in to their demands. You will be able to come home to Mars."

"Thank you. I'm not sorry for killing your father, but I am sorry for all the trouble I caused for you. I had to avenge my daughter."

"What has your brother been up to, if I may ask?"

"Actually, he died. He had a human wife, Svetlana. She died, too."

"I'm sorry," said Mithra, "I didn't know. I've been so caught up with work."

"I don't have a personal life anymore. My nephew probably hates me for not being there for him, but there's nothing I can do for him."

"Your nephew?"

"His name is Nikita."

"I'm sorry for not keeping in touch with my family."

"Don't be sorry," said Xyero. "I never bring them up. I, too, am focused too much on work. It's all I have, though."

"I understand that."

"Nikita is living in Australia with some of his human family. He wanted me to look after him, but I felt he'd be better off without me in his life."

"Are you sure he'll be all right?" asked Mithra.

"His boyfriend is there with him."

"Well, that's nice. But are you really fine with abandoning him in a time of need?"

"I don't want to trouble anyone. I just want to get my work done so I can rest in peace beside my beloved wife and daughter. I must go." Xyero ended the transmission.

Meanwhile, Nathan was deeply focused on his ongoing game of laser tag. He wanted nothing to interfere. But, much to his dismay, Nathan was informed that Klevromar had shown up rather abruptly and requested an audience with him. Nathan felt obligated to meet with his old friend, despite other, more important business that needed to be attended to, which he was already ignoring to play laser tag.

"You just keep coming back to me, don't you?" said Nathan. "I know I'm irresistible, but I already told you, that was just a one-time thing. I like you, but you're just not really my type."

"You completely misunderstand," said Klevromar. "It's just that I feel I can trust you. I can't even trust my own family anymore."

"Meaning what?"

"Vwashijklam has been eloping with Eyvtara."

"You mean your son? Her son?"

"I know Eyvtara has always been troublesome," said Klevromar, "but I never thought Vwashijklam would be dishonest or unfaithful."

"That's awful. Now, how about we do our part to even things out?"

"I guess we may as well."

Later, when they both regained their senses, they proceeded to engage in discussion.

"Mars has placed their military on high alert," said Nathan. "They've been conducting regular exercises, preparing for war."

"What are you going to do about it?" asked Klevromar.

"I can't do anything about it, he hasn't technically broken any laws."

"A leader shouldn't have to follow the rules of others."

"Are you defending him?"

"No," said Klevromar. "I'm saying you should do what you think you should do. You think he's up to no good, so do something about it."

"I'm just a moderator for a discussion forum, not a dictator. The Confederation depends on diplomacy and equality."

"And Mithra is interfering with that. Removing him from power is essential to preserving the integrity of the Confederation."

"You're absolutely right. I just wish it was that simple."

"It can be. I committed such a necessary evil for the betterment of my Empire."

"True, but around here, we do things differently," said Nathan. "I can't just kill him and replace him like you did with the last Emperor."

"Sure you can. Who's going to stop you? You're immortal."

"I'm doing things the way Ruby and Henry wanted."

"There's no sense in trying to please the dead."

"Perhaps not, but I still intend to preserve their legacy."

"Very well then," said Klevromar. "If you want to do things the hard way, that's your choice; I can't stop you."

"Thank you for understanding. But what about your problem?"

"I intend to confront them in a civil manner."

"And what if that doesn't work?" asked Nathan.

"Then I'll have both of them banished from the Empire and be done with them."

"That's the spirit!" Nathan declared. "Take care."

"Until we meet again," said Klevromar.

Klevromar returned to his home planet, Utloqov, in the Andromeda Galaxy. Being the capital of the Ameajfeiaiaw Empire, security was tight and there were no unauthorized visitors. Surrounded by a deflector shield, a minefield, a laser array, and a vast military fleet, entry was only an option through designated gateways. 

Klevromar's shuttle flew through a gateway and down to the surface, which was a lush, green paradise, with towering buildings among the forests. Waterfalls cascaded down the mountains surrounding the city, and streams ran through lush meadows home to vast herds of grazing animals. In a clearing, the shuttle landed in front of the grand palace where Klevromar lived and worked. 

Flowers and trees adorned the verdant palace, whose vertical gardens were intertwined with the architecture. The interior of the palace had high ceilings and was filled with natural light and gentle breezes. The walls were richly decorated, and the floors were covered in plush carpeting. The scent of rich soil and lively plants filled the air. Klevromar marched to his bedroom, where he found his wife in bed with their son.

"I can explain," said Eyvtara.

"Get out," said Klevromar. "I wish to speak with my wife."

Eyvtara hurried out the door.

"Why?" asked Klevromar.

"You know why," said Vwashijklam.

"He's our son!" exclaimed Klevromar. "Your son!"

"He understands me better than you ever could."

"It's not my fault you don't confide in me."

"When was the last time you treated me to a night out?" asked Vwashijklam. "Business and diplomatic trips don't count."

"That's not fair. You know I have an entire galaxy to manage."

"You can leave that up to the local governments. It's not like your intervention makes that much of a difference."

"I have a duty to maintain order throughout the Empire."

"By order you mean stagnation. The only difference you make is ensuring everything stays the same."

"I see," said Klevromar. "So that's what this is about."

"What happened to the man I married? Remember when we were scouts, charting out unknown space?"

"Yes, I remember."

"It was exciting," said Vwashijklam. "And then, when you led the revolution and took power for yourself, it was thrilling. But after the initial restructuring, you kept everything the same. It's boring."

"I'm sorry, but I've only wanted what's best. When did your affair with Eyvtara begin?"

"Just after he got into politics. He was calling for change and rallying people to his cause. I stopped seeing him as our child and finally started to see him as a mature adult."

"But how? You gave birth to him."

"Yes, I know. I made a terrible mistake. I've been trying to put a stop to it for a long time now, but he's just so persuasive. I can't explain it."

"I still love you," said Klevromar, "but I have a confession. After I found out about you two, I went and had sex with Nathan. It was on impulse and I regret it. I'm sorry."

"Given the circumstances, I can't really blame you. I'll forgive you, if you'll forgive me."

"I forgive you. And I pledge to do what I can to keep your life exciting."

"Thank you," said Vwashijklam. "Now, what do we do about Eyvtara?"

"I'll leave that up to you. I was planning to banish him, but I'll accept whatever decision you make."

Suddenly, he felt a burst of plasma blasting through his back. He fell to the ground. Eyvtara, who was standing behind him, shot him again in the head to be sure he was dead. Vwashijklam screamed.

"What have you done?" she cried.

"Only what must be done," said Eyvtara.

"He was your father! He was my husband! Why would you do such a thing?"

"He was in the way. That reminds me, you were selling me out, weren't you?"

"I would never do such a thing," Vwashijklam said nervously, keeping in mind that her son had just shown he was not afraid to kill.

"I'm the Emperor now," said Eyvtara. "And as my first act as such, I shall take you as my wife, if you'll have me."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10 0 3
A collection of science fiction short stories in a variety of settings ranging from deep space to mystical lands, to simply a future Earth.
109 0 20
Two guys named Charlie and ken are abducted from they're galaxy into a different called ultra. So after escaping from they're abductors they are look...
86 0 19
JD does not have a past-at least not one that she can remember-and that makes living life on Mars challenging. With nowhere to go, she is sent to the...
204 7 19
Thousands of years have passed since the old interstellar hegemony collapsed, stranding mankind on hundreds of worlds, and now these scattered civili...