Upside Down Love

By ayexdan

Is it possible to fall in love with someone the first time you laid eyes on them? Well, I did and unfortunate... More

Prologue: Meetings
Chapter 1: Madison Paige Cameron
Chapter 2: Avery Laine Fisher
Chapter 3: To Be or Not to Be
Chapter 4: Pro Bowling
Chapter 6: It's Gametime Baby!
Chapter 7: To Be or Not to Be... Friends Again?
Chapter 8: My Little Brother
Chapter 9: Hurt & Pain
Chapter 10: New Friends
Chapter 11: After the Party
Chapter 12: Not Again
Chapter 13: Rumors
Chapter 14: Date Night
Chapter 15: The Locker Room
Chapter 16: Being Together
Chapter 17: Secrets
Chapter 18: The Beginning
Chapter 19: Pain and Misery
Chapter 20: Love
Chapter 21: The Resolve
Chapter 22: A Day With Allison
Chapter 23: Rachel and Allison
Chapter 24: Ghosts of the Past
Chapter 25: The Beetle

Chapter 5: She's Just a Friend

255 9 0
By ayexdan

Madison's POV

I sat in the bathroom crying about Gabriel and I. He doesn't even care that I was crying, he just stood there and let me go.

"Don't let him ruin your night. We were having so much fun." I heard behind me. I looked down, not wanting her to see me crying like that. I quickly wiped my eyes and sniffed.

"I'm okay, you can go." She sighed and pulled me into her. I wanted to laugh at how short she was, but it was comforting. More so than I thought it'd be. I laid my head on her shoulder, her cologne engulfing my senses.

"I won't leave you while you're like this. I wouldn't ever." She whispered to me, making me cry more. She treats me so well. "I understand why you're crying. It must be frustrating. He's a bitch." I ignored the last part, wanting to laugh a little.

"It is! He never listens to what I say and now he tells me I don't listen to him. I can't believe this. I do all I can to please him, but he doesn't even care about my feelings." She rubbed my back soothingly, immediately calling me down.

"I know, he's fucking crazy I'll tell you. I would never try to piss off a girl with a bowling arm like you." I laughed and so did she. "I mean the way the ball hits the ground terrifies me. Not to mention how you throw those gutter balls with so much force. You thought I didn't see that one that almost went to the other lane?" We both laughed harder and I pushed away from her, punching her shoulder.

"Leave me alone." She laughed and took my shoulders in her hand.

"Seriously though Mads, he shouldn't be treating you like that. You're too good a girl for that." She spoke to me seriously and I felt shy under her stare. I nodded and she kissed my cheek, too close to my lips, making my cheeks warm up. I caught myself looking at her lips, they were nice and plump. "I'm sorry, it was just instinct." I didn't say anything, I didn't know what to say about that. Something in me felt weird, like I wasn't satisfied. But I pushed it down. "It's a friendly thing, nothing serious." She mumbled, stepping back from me. I looked at her and I could tell she was embarrassed about it. I saw a small blush rise on her cheeks and I smiled a little. God, she's so cute. You know, like a puppy or something.

"You need to work on your eavesdropping skills." She shrugged with a sly smile.

"Don't know what you're talking about." She sang playfully. I laughed at her. Then I sighed and looked up at her.

"I'm sorry for always coming to you for problems about him. I know how you feel about me. I know it must be hard." She stared at me then shrugged.

"As long as you're happy. I'm also glad you've finally realized that me loving you is possible." I looked away from her and she sighed and hugged me. "I'll listen whenever you need to talk about it. No matter what time or when, I promise." I hugged her back tightly.

"Thank you Ave, it's weird sometimes I think you love–" The door opened and I jumped back. Gabriel stood there and his eyes were wide.

"I knew something was going on with you two!"

"Dude, it's not what it looks like. She loves you–" He walked over quickly and pushed Avery. His hand went up to punch her and I stood between them.

"Gabriel stop!" I told him, holding his hand. Avery was behind me, fuming.

"No, let him come. I'll beat his ass." She growled. I turned to her, my hand on her chest.

"Avery, please." She looked at me, her eyes softening. She stepped back and Gabriel went around and punched her.

Her head snapped to the side and she fell back, leaning on the wall. She stood quickly, glaring at him. I ran over to her, pleading her with my eyes, not to do anything.

"Madison, you'd better be glad he's your boyfriend."

"Fuck you! Let's go Madison!" He spat at her. I frowned as I stayed by Avery. "Madison!"

"Gabriel you hit her!" Her cheek was red and she winced.

"Don't worry, it didn't even hurt." I ignored her, shaking my head.

"Gabriel, I can't believe you did this. We need to talk." His eyes softened and he looked hurt.

"You're breaking up with me?"

"No, she isn't, we were just talking about how you two needed to make up actually." He looked at her then back at me and I nodded. He sighed and scratched his head.

"Can we go then? I'm really sorry I punched you." He said, sincerely. I looked at Avery and she stepped back for me to leave. I could see the hurt in her eyes but she looked away from me.

"He's your boyfriend, even if he is a shit head."

I began walking out of the bathroom and I heard Avery.

"I'll text you later." She mumbled, her voice wavering. I almost didn't want to leave, but Gabriel was my boyfriend. I loved him, I couldn't leave him for her like she wanted me to. I waved to everyone, letting them know we were leaving and I followed him to his car. We got in and it was silent.

"Are you coming over tonight?"

"I kinda want to go home... I love you Gabriel, but sometimes it feels like you don't care about me or my feelings. It's like you don't listen to me. When we argued earlier you just waved me off like it was nothing and I don't like it. Not to mention you punched my friend, a girl. I'm definitely not letting that go." He was quiet for a while.

"I'm sorry baby, I really am. I do love you and I know sometimes I get selfish. I don't want to lose you Madison. That girl makes me so uneasy, it's like she's trying to steal you from me. I swear she likes you." I didn't answer him because I didn't know what to say. "But she isn't important. I'll start listening to what you say, starting with me taking you home and understanding you need your space." I reached over and grabbed his hand.

"Thank you Gabriel. I'm glad you'll be trying harder." He smiled and squeezed my hand.

"Anything for you babe."

"I just wanted to let you know that Avery is just a friend. She talks with me about my problems. I wouldn't cheat on you Gabriel. Plus you know I don't like girls."

"I trust you, it's fine. You can have whatever friends you want to have." I smiled. I guess things would be good now.

~

"Mom, she's just a friend." I pleaded with my mom so she would leave me alone.

"Well hell, you should make her more than just a friend. The girl's perfect, she came to help you when your own boyfriend made you cry, and she's listening to you complain about him even though she loves you. Your boyfriend punched her and she still wants to talk to you. I sure wouldn't. That's true love." I sighed, my heart speeding up at the "love" parts and rested my chin on my hand.

"Leave my munchkin alone... Do you have any pictures of the girl?" My dad asked me. I nodded and went into my phone. I take pictures of her sleeping in class sometimes and I put it on snapchat. I grinned to myself, laughing at the pictures of her before realizing I couldn't show them that.

I showed him a picture of her from her Facebook and he nodded.

"Yeah, she definitely looks like a quarterback." I rolled my eyes.

"Dad, we weren't even talking about that." He laughed and bit into a piece of toast. "Anyway, I don't want Gabriel getting jealous and it seems like instead of her slowly getting over me, she's falling more and more for me."

"Let it all happen!" Mom yelled, scaring me. I dropped my fork and they laughed at me. I grumbled, picking my fork back up. "Let him get jealous and break up with you then let her fall more in love with you and you can fall for her! Perfect love story right there." She sat back, satisfied with herself and I let out a breath, shaking my head.

"Why did I even talk to you two about this?" I sighed to myself and Dad shrugged.

"You should know I don't know anything about boys... well or Avery. If I could help you I would honey."

"Thanks dad." I mumbled. "But I mean, I don't need help. I was just telling you how last night went and that Gabriel and I are doing better. But Avery is not doing so well with the whole thing." Last night we were texting and she seemed so distant. I guessed it was because of what all happened last night. I just hoped things wouldn't change between her and I. I would completely understand if she wanted some space away from me though.

My phone chimed and I looked down at it.

Goodmorning! You've really got to stop falling asleep on me you know.

I smiled to myself, just as I'm thinking about her she texts me. How could I ever doubt her?

Goodmorning to you too! I have no such idea what you mean. What is this sleep you're speaking of?

"See! Look what I mean. Look how much your smiling." Mom whined.

"How do you know it wasn't Gabriel?" She gave me a sickly sweet smile.

"One can only hope, but judging from your reaction I can tell it wasn't." I frowned at her. "Honey, I wouldn't be so adamant on it if I didn't feel something was there between you and Avery. I know you, you're my daughter and I know you have a habit of ignoring things." I sighed and stood up.

"There isn't anything but friendship there on my side. I'm so tired of talking about this." I went to the kitchen to put my plate up. Iwashed my dish and checked my phone.

Hey, I know we've never done this, but you want to hang out? Of course, if you don't have other plans.

It was sent seven minutes ago, and another message came in as I checked my phone.

Nevermind, it's fine. I know you're probably with Gabriel, busy or something.

I shook my head, knowing she got apprehensive because I didn't answer.

Don't second guess yourself. Of course I'll hang out with you Ave. You can actually come over to my house if you'd like. My mom can't stop talking about you.

Okay, great! Send me the address and I'll be on the way.

I sent her the address and went to the kitchen.

"By the way Mom, your girlfriend's coming over today."

"Avery?" She asked excitedly. "Awe honey, are you finally–"

"No." I told her, going upstairs to check myself in the mirror. I mean, I felt very comfortable with Avery, I didn't mind her seeing me this way. It would be the first time she's seen me without makeup, but I expect it to be fine. Maybe she'll think I'm ugly and it'll solve her problem...

In another twenty minutes, I got a message from her saying she was outside. I jumped from my bed and went downstairs. I didn't get to the door on time, unfortunately Mom had let her in. I watched them from the hall, they hadn't seen me.

"Hey! About time you come over. How've you been?" Mom asked her, pulling her into a hug.

"I've been good, wanting to strangle someone's boyfriend but that's not too important." Mom laughed at her. "How've you been?" I rolled my eyes. I guess I'll let it go since he did punch her.

"I'm great! Madison!"

"Right here Mom." I said, walking into the room.

"Great! You two kids have fun." Mom wiggled her eyebrows at me and left. I rolled my eyes and hugged Avery. She smelled so nice, as usual.

"Hey there. You have a nice house." She said looking around.

"Thank you. Come on, we can go to my room." She looked at me apprehensively but followed.

"Girl, do you know all of things I could–"

"Avery, don't." She laughed and poked my side.

"Okay, none of those jokes today, I promise."

"Yeah, there's already been two too many."

"What– Oh, you heard that at the door? You gotta teach me bout those eavesdropping skills." I laughed and shook my head at her. "I really didnt mean for you to hear that one though. I wouldn't want you to chose between him and I... Of course, I mean being my friend. I mean not that you'd ever choose me as anything more–" She began stuttering.

"I get it Avery, don't worry." She let out a breath and I opened the door to my room.

"Don't worry, I didn't watch your butt as you walked up the stairs." She laid back onto my bed and I sat on the other side.

"Good girl." I said, pinching her cheeks. She grinned and pulled her hat off, putting it on my nightstand.

"This is a cool room though. How do you even sneak Gabriel in here? He'd have to climb up the side. Ugh." She said shuttered like she was disgusted.

"Shut up. That's none of your business." She laughed and shook her head at me. "Gabriel's never snuck in. Mom would kill the both of us."

"I honestly don't understand how she liked me so quickly. I mean, I like it, but it's just so unexpected." I nodded. "I mean I am so freaking amazing, so." She shrugged and I pushed her playfully.

"You're so cocky, even when it's stuff you suck at. Like bowling."

"Yeah, like I said, it makes everything so much more fun."

"I guess you're right." She sat up and looked at me curiously.

"Mads?" I raised my eyebrow. "I know you're not going to want to answer this, so if you do, you can ask me whatever you want." I stared at her, wondering what she was going to ask. "It's got nothing to do with me liking you and you liking me." I nodded, blushing for some reason when she said, 'You liking me.'

"Okay, ask away." She studied me weirdly before shaking her head.

"Was Gabriel your first?" She caught me off guard with that and I looked away.

"Yes, he was." She looked down, then nodded. "How'd your first go?" She shrugged.

"Well at that point, it was fine. I was with this girl, who I really liked. Everything went well... well, until she tried to kidnap me." My eyes widened.

"What?"

"Yeah, she spread the rumors about me. Well, her parents found out about us and she said she wasn't gay. From then, she kinda went haywire with the rumors. She told everyone that I gave her diseases and that I "tried to turn her gay" whatever that means. She told them that I'd been with several girls while with her. When I finally broke up with her she was pissed. She tried to kidnap me." That's some crazy shit.

"Why would someone do something like that?"

"Who knows. I guess she was embarrassed about being a lesbian." I grabbed her hand and she stared at me, then I saw a different look. It was brighter, more Avery-like.

"Nothing like that would ever happen to you here. I wouldn't let it." I know, I'm small but I would try to protect her if I could. I knew how to fight. She smiled at me and leaned forward to kiss my cheek. I was shocked, thinking she was going to kiss my lips, and my face reddened because I had leaned towards her.

Damn it, what am I doing?

"I know. Thank you. Alright, subject change, no more depressing stuff." I nodded.

"Yeah, please." She laughed and laid back again.

"I'm surprised you're comfortable enough around me to wear that and no makeup." I had on a big t-shirt with shorts on, but you couldn't really see the shorts.

"I mean, it isn't bad is it? I don't see you as the type to say something bad about it unless it's a joke."

"Nah it's not bad at all. I'm glad you're comfortable enough. I like it actually, like I always say, you're beautiful." I smiled and shrugged, kinda happy she didn't think I was ugly. She gave me a look and I laughed. "Don't act shy now."

"I'm not! Avery, have you been in love before... you know, this?"

"Nope." My eyes widened.

"Then how do you know?" She at up and looked at me.

"When I saw you that day at work, a huge feeling overcame me. It was weird, it just hit me. Then my heart starting beating so quickly, I swear I thought I had a heart attack. I just felt like I knew you, but I mean, obviously I didn't. You were the most beautiful thing I've ever laid eyes on. I couldn't get you out of my mind, it was crazy. I tried my hardest to forget you, but it was no use. When I grabbed your hand that day at the park, I felt something so weird in my chest. My heart was pounding. When you hug me it sends a wave of emotions through me. Even now as I look at you I feel a surge of emotions erupting in my stomach. My heart is beating a million miles a minute and I want nothing more but to kiss you... but, I'm controlling myself. And at this point, even with how long we've known each other, I wouldn't think twice about doing anything for you. I just want you to be happy." My mouth dropped and she laughed.

"I'm sorry." I told her, scooting back, rubbing my arms. She shrugged, looking away.

"I'll take you however I can have you Mads." She winked and I blushed. "If it's friends that we'll have to be, then so be it." I looked away and nodded, wishing the subject could change again. "Have you ever kissed a girl?" She asked me, taking me off guard. Not to that though.

"No!" I said quickly, not trying to start anything up. She laughed at me and shook her head.

"Okay, okay, I'm done torturing you. I'm sorry, sometimes, I really just can't help teasing you. You're so cute when you're nervous." I rolled my eyes at her.

"You know, being an asshole can't always be forgiven if you just keep saying sorry. It gets old." She laughed and so did I.

"I mean you obviously keep forgiving me, I'm in your house." I pushed her gently.

"Shut up." She sat up and looked at me seriously.

"You don't have to always forgive me. If I go too far, like what I told your mom, just tell me. I don't want to be walking all over you."

"I will!" I said defensively. I didn't want to seem weak.

"I didn't mean it in a bad way Madison. I'm just saying, I have a habit of going too far." Oh trust me, I know.

"It's okay, you do it sometimes but I know you're joking. You're a good friend." She grinned and I scooted closer to her, making her grin even more.

"Thank you, so are you." I laid beside her and she turned towards me. I turned towards her too. I felt we were too close but I didn't want to hurt her feelings by moving away.

"So, what's your family like?" I asked her. She smiled.

"I love them, they're everything to me. They know everything about me. They even know about you." I raised my eyebrows.

"And they don't hate me yet?" She frowned.

"Why would they?"

"Well, you're in love with me and we're just friends. I talk about my boyfriend to you and he punched you." She shook her head.

"Madison, there's nothing wrong with that. I'm the one who fell for you, I wanted to be friends with you. Him punching me was... him. I don't even have a mark on my face." I looked down, shrugging.

"I just though–"

"Well think less." I rolled my eyes and she laughed.

"But at the same time, it is your fault I'm so attached to you. I mean look at you." I huffed and tried to fight the blush coming to my cheeks.

"You always say stuff like that to me." Gabriel doesn't say things like that to me anymore, but it's not like I need it.

"Well, that's because it's true. I know you can see it when you look in the mirror Mads." I didn't say anything and she stared at me, looking down at my lips.

All of a sudden, I was right in front of her. My lips grazed hers and my hand went up to her cheek, pulling her closer. My mind went blank as we kissed and she pulled me closer, laying me back on the bed. The way she held me, she was so firm and so... loving.

All of a sudden, the door opened. Avery flew back, doing a full backflip off the bed, but I was frozen. I felt something intensely crazy in my chest, along with my thumping heart, but I ignored it.

"What're you kids doing up here? I have some sandwiches." Mom stood there with a plate in her hand. She had a knowing look on her face, looking at me. Avery took a huge breath and stood up.

"I'm sorry, I gotta head out. I will take a sandwich with me though. It was nice seeing you again Mrs. Cameron. I hope to see you at my game next week. Bye Madison." She waved, looking at me apologetically before leaving the room. Mom stared at me and I stood up, running a hand through my hair.

"Honey... as much as I like Avery, you can't hurt Gabriel. I saw what happened and I walked in so you two wouldn't go any further." I sighed, touching my lips.

"Mom, I don't even want to talk about it. I love Gabriel and I would never cheat on him. She's just a friend." She stared at me for a while, not believing me.

"Okay honey. Don't do anything you regret. I just want you to be happy." I played with my fingers and nodded.

She is just a friend. A friend.

It was a mistake to kiss her.

Gabriel is the one for me. I know it. It's what I've planned for a while now. That I would marry a man and have his children and we'd grow old together. I would have my dream.

Besides, I don't even like Avery. I can't like Avery. I just like how nice she is.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4 0 9
Do you believe in love at first sight? The feeling when you look at someone's eyes and you just know "this is mine person". Alex felt that once in h...
1.1K 36 22
"Dear Crush, I exist... and trust me or not, but no one else in this whole world can love you the way I do..." He fell in love for the first time in...
182 21 21
Highest Rankings: 115 in first person I was just a simple sophomore. I hung out with my friends, played sports, got straight A's, my life seemed to h...
672K 16.1K 61
August & Colin | WRU series | book 1 We take risks. We make mistakes. We lie. We love. We hurt. We lose total control. I took a risk. I paid the pri...