Closer to Love | Draco Malfoy...

By xonceuponatimex

Like every sixteen year old, Max wishes all of her problems would just disappear. But when one problem goes a... More

Soundtrack
Chapter 1 ~ Nightmares and Beatings
Chapter 2 ~ Happy Birthday
Chapter 3 ~ The Aftermath
Chapter 4 ~ The Consequences
Chapter 5 ~ Paying a Visit
Chapter 6 ~ Late Night Talks and Spying
Chapter 7 ~ Strange Assumptions
Chapter 8 ~ Impressing Slughorn
Chapter 9 ~ The Real Reason
Chapter 10 ~ Hopped Up on Questions and Confusion
Chapter 12 ~ Where Did She Go?
Chapter 13 ~ The Slug Club Dinner
Chapter 14 ~ In the Corridors
Chapter 15 ~ Unexpected Party Turns
Chapter 16 ~ Heart-to-Heart Talks and Surprise Attacks
Chapter 17 ~ Holding Hands
Chapter 18 ~ First Attempt at Getting the Truth
Chapter 19 ~ It Was All His Fault
Chapter 20 ~ Word Vomit at its Best
Chapter 21 ~ Romance and Promises Within Hogwarts
Chapter 22 ~ Lucky Potter Twins
Chapter 23 ~ A Journey to the Crystal Cave
Chapter 24 ~ Farewell to the Wise and the Lover
Chapter 25 ~ You Know What This Means?

Chapter 11 ~ Making a Choice

10.4K 336 649
By xonceuponatimex

The chilly air and the frozen ground was a sign that winter was coming soon. I already had my winter attire ready to go when we left to go on the first Hogsmeade trip. I was so excited for my date with Draco. I bet he was excited as well. After all, he did ask me out, even though we were friends and nothing more. But for some reason, the thought of Draco made me happy. Every time I heard his name, my heart just fluttered a little bit.

But that kiss with Ginny was still stuck in my brain. I could still even taste the potions Madam Pomfrey gave her. And that was weeks ago. Ever since that day, Ginny and I had been avoiding each other.

Finally, after dinner one night, I caught her roaming in the halls, and I found my opportunity to talk to her. "Ginny!"

She turned around and stared at me. "Hi, Max."

I crossed my arms awkwardly and looked at her. "I wanted to talk to you about--"

"I know," she interrupted me. "About that kiss. I remember it."

"Why did you do it?" I asked. "I mean, I know that you were really loopy that day--"

"Max, I like you."

I froze. She liked me? Me. Maxine Potter. The Chosen One. ME?! What was so special about me?! Wait, that was a dumb question. I already knew why I was special. The greatest dark wizard of all time returned and now Harry and I were his targets. Lovely, wasn't it?

"You like me?" I questioned.

She nodded. "Yeah. I think I have for quite some time now. It was when you showed up at the Burrow near the end of the summer. I'd like to give us a shot."

I smiled a little and brushed some hair out of my face. "Ginny, that's really sweet. But Dean..."

"Don't worry about him. I'll handle it."

I sighed. "But Harry..."

"Look, Max, at times, you can't hide what you're feeling, and Harry understands that." She paused, looking desperate. "Just say you'll go out with me."

I looked at her and finally nodded my head. "Okay. Okay, I'll give us a shot. I've never been with a girl before."

The ginger looked at me and crashed her lips onto mine like last time. But this time, our lips locked longer. I pulled away, staring into her eyes and catching another glimpse of that smile with her snow white teeth and her bubblegum lips.

"I've never been with one either." She smirked and walked away from me. "I'll see you back in the Gryffindor Common Room."

I waved at her and she waved back. I sighed happily and started walking back to the Gryffindor Tower. For once, the thought of Draco was replaced by Ginny.

*******

"Maxine Potter."

When I walked in the Gryffindor Common Room, I found Harry, Hermione, and a pissed off Ron.

I tried chuckling at him and walking slowly towards him. "Heeeeey, Ron. How's it going?"

"I'm going to kill you." Before I knew it, Ron started throwing stuff at me.

"Woah, woah, woah, Ron, calm down! Stop throwing shit at me!" I shouted, running around the room in an attempt to get away from him.

"You're dating my sister?!"

"Well, yeah. but just calm down and I can--"

"YOU'RE DATING MY SISTER! I CAN'T CALM DOWN!"

"Ron, she's right. Just calm down. Please," Hermione told him.

"I can't help that I'm just a little bi-curious!" I retorted.

"Well, Max, I'm a little bit furious!" Ron pulled out his wand and pointed it at me.

Before he could shout anything, Ginny ran downstairs and ran in front of him. "What the hell are you doing?!"

"Ginny, why did you ask Max out?" he asked.

"Because I like her, that's why!" she snapped. "Ron, I know you're just trying to look out for me, but I'm old enough to make my own decisions. Besides, Max is one of your best friends! Would you really hurt her because of me?"

He stared at my sad face and then slowly put his wand down and back in his pocket. "I'm sorry, Max." He ran over to me and gave me a hug. When we pulled away, Ron gave me a smile and then headed upstairs, followed by Hermione and Ginny.

It was just me and Harry now.

"I'm sorry, Harry," I said. "I knew you liked her."

He chuckled lightly and walked towards me. "It's okay." I could tell he wasn't totally okay with this.

"We're just both trying this out and we'll see where things go from there."

"What does Dean think of all this?"

"He doesn't know. Ginny said she'd handle it."

He nodded. "Well, I'm going to head upstairs. I'll see you later." He waved at me then headed upstairs as well.

I sighed and decided to take a walk around the corridors. I walked out of the portal and started walking down the flights of stairs. The first place I wanted to go to was the Room of Requirement. I had a feeling that Draco would be there. That was where he was usually at whenever I caught him walking around after dinner. No matter how many times I wanted to ask him why he was always there, I never got the courage to do it. The last thing I wanted to do was upset him again.

The sound of footsteps came as I got closer to where I entered the Room of Requirement. I hid behind a wall and looked to see who the footsteps belonged to. Just as I suspected, it was Draco.

"Pssst, Draco," I whispered.

"Who's there? Show yourself!" he hissed.

I came from my hiding spot and headed over to him. "Turn around."

He turned around and sighed in relief. "It's only you."

"Yeah, only me," I replied. "So what are you doing?"

He shrugged. "Just walking around."

"You know, the first Hogsmeade trip is coming up soon," I reminded him, smiling.

"Yeah, about that, Max, I think we're going to have to cancel our date."

My smile faded away. "Why?"

"I have something to do and I won't be able to make it. I really am sorry. I was really looking forward to it."

"Me, too," I said. "I-I have to go. I'll see you around, Draco." With that, I walked away from him and went back the way I came. Once I managed to cut the first corner without any tears from my face, I made a run for it back to the Gryffindor Tower.

I entered the Gryffindor Common Room and plopped myself on the couch. I violently wiped the tears from my face and looked into the fire. Why was I crying over this? I was with Ginny now. Draco shouldn't matter anymore to me. After all, he did cancel our date to Hogsmeade, the date I was really looking forward to, and Ginny was going with Dean for sure. So I was now stuck going with Harry, Ron, and Hermione again for another year. I loved them to death, but I wanted to spend a day with Draco for once. After all, Dumbledore said we were destined to be together.

"Max?" I heard Harry's voice as I turned around and saw him.

"Harry, what are you doing up?"

"I thought I heard you crying. Are you okay?" He sat down beside me on the couch and looked at me.

I nodded, sniffling also. "Yeah, I'm okay. I-I'm just tired that's all."

"Max, you're my twin. I know when you're okay and when you're not. Right now, I know you're not okay. What's wrong?"

"I can't tell you. We've already been over this," I retorted.

He sighed and nodded in disappointment, not pressing on any further. "Okay. Go to bed soon, alright?" With that, Harry left me in the Gryffindor Common Room and headed back upstairs.

I bet Harry thought I was a horrible sister right now, and I didn't blame him at this point.

*******

"Come on, Max! The carriages are about to leave soon!"

Hermione was yelling at me from downstairs as I finished brushing my hair so it was perfectly straight. I placed my hat on and looked in the mirror one last time before heading downstairs with everyone else.

December finally came around, and so did the first Hogsmeade trip of the year. Today was the day Draco and I were supposed to go on our date. But he cancelled it. He knew how much this was to both of us. So why did he cancel? Draco's actions last night made me wonder why he would do something like that. Especially because I really thought he liked me. Well, it didn't matter now, did it? Ginny and I were together now. It shouldn't matter.

But why couldn't I get him out of my head?

As we walked out to the carriages, the four of us rushed to one and jumped inside. Harry and I sat across from Ron and Hermione, who were both not looking at each other. It was very awkward and quiet on the way to Hogsmeade. Nobody said a word, not even a cough or a sneeze. I really thought we would be able to find something to talk about.

"Hey, Hermione, I found this spell in my Potions book--" Harry started all of a sudden.

"Stop it, Harry!" she interrupted. "Sorry. But after all this time reading the book, have you thought about who had it before you did?"

"Are you talking about the Half-Blood Prince?" I asked as we got out of the carriages.

"Yes, Max. But for weeks, Harry, you carry around that book, practically sleep with it, yet you have no desire to find out who he is?"

"You sleep with it?!" I shouted.

"I didn't say I wasn't curious, Hermione, and I don't sleep with it, Max!" Harry protested.

"The book is useful, bro, but it could be dangerous as well. I mean, you don't know half of the spells in that book," I added.

"Yeah, and I like a nice chat before I go to bed. Now all you do is read that bloody book!" Ron whined. "It's like being with Hermione."

"Ron!" I whacked his arm.

"Well, I was curious," Hermione continued, ignoring Ron. "So, I went to--"

"The library," Ron, Harry, and I finished.

"And?" I questioned.

"And nothing! I couldn't find a reference anywhere to a Half-Blood Prince."

"That settles it, then," Harry told her.

So we piled out of the carriage and made our way down the path that led to the shops in Hogsmeade. On the way there, the four of us spotted Slughorn going into the Three Broomsticks. I looked at Harry, who seemed to have an idea in his head.

"Does anyone fancy a butterbeer?" he asked.

We all walked to the Three Broomsticks, looking for an empty table as we entered inside. The place was crowded with students and teachers. Slughorn was at the bar, drinking and talking to the bartender. We went on the other side of the staircases and found an empty table for four people. I was getting ready to sit beside Hermione when Harry stopped me.

"No, Max, sit beside me," he insisted.

I reluctantly went on the other side of the table and switched places with Ron, taking off my coat, and sitting beside my brother. A waiter came up to us and waited for us to sit down.

"Something to drink?" he asked us.

"Four butterbeers, and some ginger in mine, please," Hermione ordered.

As I sat down, I spotted the last person I wanted to see here. He was wearing a black suit and was holding a package in his hand. And who could not notice him with that blond hair of his? It was obviously Draco Malfoy.

When he saw me, a shock and sad expression fell upon his face. My mouth opened a bit in shock as I stared at him. He turned around and walked away, opening a door and shutting it behind him.

Draco Malfoy lying to me was the only thought that stuck to me after that.

"Bloody hell," we heard Ron say. He was turned around from his chair. We looked to see what he was looking at. There, we spotted Ginny and Dean at a table in the corner as they were holding hands and whispering things to each other. "Slick git."

"Honestly, Ronald, they're only holding hands," Hermione pointed out, chuckling a little bit. The two started to slowly kiss when she noticed that we were still looking at them. "And snogging."

I shifted in my seat.

"I'd like to leave," Ron said.

"What? You can't be serious!"

"That happens to be my sister!" As the two were arguing, our drinks came.

"So? What if she looked over her and saw you snogging me? Would you expect her to get up and leave? At least she's snogging Dean and not Max."

"Thanks, Hermione," I said.

"Oh! Max, I'm so sorry. I--"

"It's okay. I get it." I sighed and started drinking my butterbeer. I looked over at Harry, who was waving at Slughorn.

"Hey, my boy!"

"Hello, sir. Wonderful to see you," he greeted, standing up and shaking his hand.

"And you, and you. Lovely to see that your sister is with you."

"So what brings you here?"

"The Three Broomsticks and I go way back, further than I care to admit. I can remember when it was One Broomstick!" Slughorn accidentally spilled some of his drink on Hermione. But he went back to us instead. "Listen, you two, in the old days, I used to throw together the occasional supper party for the select student or two. Would you and your sister be game?"

"We'd consider it an honor, sir. Right, Max?"

"Of course." I put on a fake smile for Slughorn.

"You would be welcome, too, Granger," he looked down at Hermione.

"I'd be delighted, sir," she said.

"Splendid! Look for my owl!" Slughorn saw Ron and looked at him. "Good to see you, Wallenby!" With that, he left us. Harry sat down, smiling to himself.

"He was definitely drunk," Hermione told us.

Ron had a confused look on his face. "What are you two playing at?"

"Dumbledore's asked Max and I to get to know him," Harry replied.

"What does that mean?" he questioned.

"We don't know," I said. "It must be important. If it wasn't, Dumbledore wouldn't have asked."

The rest of the time we were there, the four of us remained quiet. The thought of Draco Malfoy lying to me was still pounding in my brain.

After the Three Broomsticks, we all decided to walk back to the carriages. Katie Bell and a girl named Leanne, who was in Hufflepuff House, were in front of us while looking down at something. It looked like a package. I couldn't tell if it was the same package that Draco was holding earlier or not. It didn't matter to me right now. I was too mad at him to worry about it. Ron and Harry were talking about Hermione from behind us. Something about her snogging Ron, I thought they were saying. I laughed to myself. Boys would be boys, right?

Suddenly, Leanne screamed.

Katie Bell's body was on the snow with the package beside her. She wasn't moving a muscle.

"I warned her! I warned her not to touch it!" Leanne cried as she came over to us.

Katie started moving from left to right uncontrollably. She then flew up to the air with her arms wide open and started screaming, a scream that was so chilling and frightening. All we could do was stare at her in shock. In a matter of seconds, she fell to the ground, twitching, and Hagrid came running behind us. He went over to Katie and picked her up. Harry and I went over to the package and studied it carefully. It was already opened and it contained a necklace in it.

"Do not touch that! Except by the wrappings! Do you understand?"

As I looked at the necklace, I noticed that this was the same package that Draco had in the Three Broomsticks, and he was the one to give this to her.

Draco Malfoy cursed Katie Bell. But I was now faced with something even bigger.

Was I going to rat him out when the time came?

*******

"You're sure Katie did not have this in her possession when she entered the Three Broomsticks?" Professor McGonagall asked Leanne as we were in her classroom getting questioned.

"She left to go to the loo, and when she came back, she had the package," she replied. "She said that she needed to deliver it to Professor Dumbledore."

"Very well, Leanne. Thank you. You may go." After she left, McGonagall looked at us. "Why is it when something happens it is always you four?"

"Believe me, I've been asking myself the same question for six years," Ron replied.

Suddenly, Snape came in. He walked up to the necklace and levitated it up. Him and McGonagall studied it closely.

"What do you think?" she asked.

"I think that Miss Bell is lucky to be alive," he replied.

"She was cursed, wasn't she?" I spoke up.

"Yes, she was cursed," McGonagall said.

"It was Malfoy," Harry blurted out.

"Harry!" I hissed at him.

"That is a serious accusation, Potter," she informed him.

"Indeed," Snape added. "Your evidence?"

"I just know."

Snape stared at him, pausing before speaking again. "You just know? Miss Potter, do you agree with your brother on this?"

I reluctantly shrugged. "I don't know who could've cursed Katie, sir," I lied.

"How grand it must be to be the Chosen Ones," he snapped.

"Very grand," I added in a sarcastic tone.

With that, McGonagall let us go back to the Gryffindor Tower. Draco owed me so much for saving his arse, and I was going to tell him that tonight.

*******

The time came when everyone was supposed to be in bed. But for me, I was planning to sneak out again.

I had to confront Draco about today. I couldn't believe he lied to me. He cancelled our date, the date we were both excited for. It made me mad. I wanted to hurt him so bad.

As I reached the Room of Requirement, I heard the door appear. I caught Draco going inside and I followed him in not long after he went inside. Draco was walking deeper into the room. Once he finally stopped in his tracks, I went up to him and tapped him on the shoulder. When he turned around to see who it was...

Slap!

"Ow! What the bloody hell was that for?!" he shouted, covering his cheek with his hand.

"For lying to me, that's what! Don't act like you didn't see me in the Three Broomsticks this afternoon, because I sure as hell saw you in there with that package that you gave to Katie Bell! Thanks to you, she was cursed and now in the Hospital Wing! And thanks to me, I saved your arse! So you're welcome, Draco Malfoy!" I crossed my arms and held my chin up high, waiting for a reply from him.

"You didn't tell McGonagall and Snape about me cursing Bell?" he asked, looking surprised

I sighed, my expression softening as I looked away from him. "No, but Harry did. Why did you do it?" I felt my eyes water.

Draco exhaled sadly and looked down at his fidgeting hands. "It's complicated."

"Like you lying to me and cancelling our date was complicated?" He was silent. "That's what I thought." I paused for a moment. "Malfoy."

With that, I stormed out of the Room of Requirement and ran back to the Gryffindor Tower in tears. When I entered the Gryffindor Common Room, I found Ginny on the couch.

"Max?" She stood up and ran up to me. "What's wrong?"

Instead of saying anything, I just let her pull me into her arms as I cried into her shirt on her shoulder. Ginny gently wrapped her arms around me and stroked my hair as I continued to get her shirt soaked with my tears. A part of myself wanted me to hate Draco Malfoy and what he did, and the other part wanted me to ignore the feeling and enjoy this moment I was having with Ginny.

So I went with the second choice, which was worth it.

A/N: Well, please don't hate me.

I really hoped you guys like this chapter, even though there's more Minny than Drax. It's okay if you don't like Minny, but PLEASE don't give up on the story and please don't comment rude things about Minny or this story.

Anyway, what did you still think about this chapter? Did you like it? Love it? Tell meh!

Comment, vote, we've been over this. Bye. ;)

-A

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33.8K 935 21
I'm sure you've heard of Harry Potter and how he defeated the dark lord, Lord Voldemort. But what if he has the sister, a twin sister to be exact, w...
230K 8.7K 23
After the death of Cedric Diggory, Max was broken. She got into more trouble at the Malfoys, her own brother is giving her the cold shoulder, a new t...
1.3K 56 28
14 year old Katianne Potter, or Katia and Anne as others call her, is the twin of the famous Harry Potter. Though she was always the less popular twi...
482K 15.3K 25
Harry Potter's parents were killed by Lord Voldemort. His entire family was gone in the blink of an eye. Everyone except his twin sister, Maxine Pott...