Taken

By _Just_Nikki_

Amberlynn Grace has been best friends with Niall Horan since she was 5 years old. When she was 15, Niall left... More

Taken
Introduction
Chapter 2: Dinner, A Party, and a Reunion
Chapter 3: Packing Up and Moving Out
Chapter 4: Plane Ride
Chapter 5: Welcome Home
Chapter 6: Full of Surprises
Chapter 7: Five Best Friends
Chapter 8: Amusement Parks and Wave Pools
Chapter 9: Sweet Revenge
Chapter 10: Something's Different
Chapter 11: Tours, Tigers, and Dares, Oh My!
Chapter 12: Off With The Leg Hair
Chapter 13: I Wish That Was Me
Chapter 14: You Found Me
Chapter 15: Party Time
Chapter 16: You Again
Chapter 17: Let Me Love You
Chapter 18: Not How Expected
Chapter 19: Can We Work it Out
Chapter 20: A Promise I'll Keep
Chapter 21: This Changes Everything
Chapter 22: Nothing I Do Better
Chapter 23: The Truth Comes Out
Chapter 24: Leave it All Behind
Chapter 25: I'm Gonna Make You Mine
Epilogue
Acknowledgements
BIG ANNOUNCEMENT
Sequel

Chapter 1: Graduation

281K 1.5K 198
By _Just_Nikki_

"Amberlynn! Get up!" My mother called. I ignored her, and burrowed further under my covers. "Amberlynn May!" She shouted. Her voice was closer now. I lay there, a still lump under the covers.

Suddenly, my feet were exposed to the coolness of my room. Warm hands latched around my ankles. One yank, and I was pulled from the comfort of my bed. I hit the floor with a loud thud, the cover still twisted in my hands. I looked up at her, blowing a strand of hair out of my face.

"Why?" I grunted.

"Do you want to graduate high school?" She asked. I thought back three years ago, to Niall's face on my computer, and his promise that when I graduated he would come and get me. I had been waiting for this day for three years. I wanted to graduate more than anything.

"Of course I do!" I exclaimed. My mother crossed her arms, and smiled knowingly.

"Then get up and get ready or you'll be late!" She said, and left, leaving me sitting in the floor, staring after her. I reached for my phone where it lay on the bed. The ceremony didn't start until 7:30. It was just now 2:00. I grunted in frustration, and tossed my phone back on the bed. I had had a late night. A rough night. I had sent all of the boys an invitation to my graduation weeks ago, telling them the time and place. I had never received an answer from any of them. So, last night, I started to panic. I stayed on Skype all night, staring at the list of names of people available to chat, waiting for Niall or one of the other boys to get on-line.

When the time for Niall and I's nightly video chat came and went, I was crushed. I slammed my laptop shut angrily, and shoved it away from me. It hit the floor with a loud thump. My eyes blurry with tears, I picked up my phone, and typed in my password. It took a few tries, but I finally the code right.

No new messages.

I cried out in frustration. Maybe something had happened, and he wans't able to get on at our normal time. If he gets on, and I'm not on-line, he'll text me.

So there I sat. In the middle of my bed, on top of the covers, my legs crossed, my phone clutched in my hand. My heart beat picked up each time it buzzed. I would hastily unlock it, only to find that it wasn't Niall. It would be other friends wanting to talk, or inviting me to parties. I did have other friends. It's just that I wasn't as close to them as I was to Niall. He was the only one that mattered to me right now.

After an hour of this, and no word what-so-ever from Niall, I moved the covers over me, and buried myself in them. And then I cried myself to sleep. That was at 4:39 this morning.

And now, here I was.

I slowly got up off the floor. Bending over, I picked up my cover. I wadded it up, and tossed it back on the bed. Grabbing the remote from my nightstand, I flopped into the recliner. I flipped through the channels to find that The Breakfast Club was just now coming on. I watched it, which killed about two hours, and then I watched Family Guy which killed about another two hours.

After finishing the plate of popcorn chicken and fries my mom had given me, I checked the time. It was 6:15. I walked over to my i-Pod dock, and turned to Pump It by The Black Eyed Peas. I put it on repeat, turned it all of the way up, and closed my bedroom door as the music filled my room.

I walked into my bathroom, leaving the door open so I could hear the music, and climbed into the shower. When I was clean, I jumped out, and wrapped a towel around. Then, I danced to my closet. Literally.

I picked out a denim skirt that fell just above my knees. Underneath that, I put on a pair of black leggings, They went down to the middle of my calf. I pulled on a pink shirt with slits in the back, and a black cami under that. I put on a pair of sketchers that stopped at my ankle. I straightened the unruly mess that was my hair into it's normal hair-do. I plugged my curling iron in, and curled a few strands, leaving the rest straight.

For makeup, I put on some glittery body gel on the side of my face beside my eyes. I put eyeliner and mascara on, and added a coat of light pink lip gloss. I checked my reflection in the mirror. I turned my head, the light catching the glitter, causing my face to sparkle. I smiled, and picked my phone up to check the time. It was 7:10.

I cursed loudly, and grabbed my graduation gown. I slipped my arms into the sleeves, and picked up my hat where it lay on the edge of my bed. I ran out the door, and climbed onto the stair rail. I slid down the rail, and jumped off before I reached the end.

"Where are you going?" My mom asked. She was dressed, but had no makeup on, and held an earring in between her fingers.

"My graduation!" I said, moving towards the door.

"Well, let us finish getting ready, and we'll drive you."

"I can't! It's 7:10. I was supposed to be there already!" I rushed over to the key hook, and grabbed the key to my motorbike, or as most people call them 'crotch rockets.' It's Kentucky Blue and Black.

"Helmet!" My mom shouted to me as she walked back into the bathroom. I ran outside, pulling the door shut behind me. I dug my helmet out of the truck of my mom's car. Quickly, but carefully, I stuffed it on my bed. I swung my leg over the seat, removed the kickstand, and put the key in the ignition, turning it over. My bike roared to life, and I maneuvered it out of the driveway.

I drove as fast as I could without getting pulled over. Oh, who am I kidding? I took the backstreets, and I wasn't even close to the speed limit. If my mom saw me, she'd take my keys and I'd be grounded for sure. I pulled into a parking spot, and took my helmet off, securing it to the seat before grabbing my keys and rushing up the gym steps, my gown billowing out behind me.

I was supposed to go through the back entrance, but I didn't have time. I raced across the gym floor, earning a few good natured head shakes and eye rolls from my teachers. My principle stood on the stage, jumping up and down, pointing the other direction. I put my arms up, shrugging as I ran through the doors that led to the hallway we were lining up in. I stopped at the doorway, shooting him an apologetic smile. He face palmed, which earned a few laughs from the audience and my classmates.

"There you are!" My friend Beth said, as I went to go stand beside her. Her last name was Grady. Right behind my Grace.

"Yeah. I'm here."

"You're late!" She said. I rolled my eyes at her. As if I didn't already know that, and I just ran across the gym for fun. She had a bad habit of stating the obvious. "What happened?"

"The Breakfast Club and Family Guy." I turned my head to grin at her over my shoulder. She only rolled her eyes.

"I honestly thought you weren't coming." She said. I scoffed.

"As if. I wouldn't miss this for the world." The music started, and I put my cap on hastily as I began following my classmates to the slow march. It took everything I had to refrain from pushing people out of the way, and yelling at them to hurry their slow arses up.

We marched around the gym, and to our seat. The music stopped. And the National Anthem began. When that was over, the principle asked us to be seated, and he proceeded in giving the welcome.

"And now, it's time for our valedictorian to speak." I stood up, and made my way to the stage. I removed the note cards from the pocket on my gown, and lay them down on the podium. I didn't need them. I knew this speech like the back of my hand. I knew this speech like I knew Niall. I took a deep breath before raising my head and beginning to speak.

"Three years ago, I left my home in Mullingar, Ireland, and moved here. I was 15. Most 15 year old's would love to get the chance to move somewhere new. Nut not me. For me, leaving Westmeath was the worst. My best friend has left to be on X-factor, and it felt like I had lost a part of myself. Moving from the place I had met him, was like losing him a second time.

"I moved here, with no other choice. At first, I talked to no one. I had no interest in making friends. Because, to be honest, I felt that I would be replacing him if I made any new friends. Soon though, with his urging, I broke out of my shell, and made friends.

"I was always in trouble with the teachers, because I didn't care about school. I just made sure my grades were enough to allow me to pass so that I could graduate, and be reunited with my best friend. That's all I cared about. Until a teacher opened my eyes." I paused to catch eyes with Mr. Kennett.

"I came into class that day, my eyes barely open. I didn't have my homework, it was at home where I had dumped it the night before to clean out my book bag. I fell asleep not even 5 minutes after the bell rang. He kept me after class that day. I kept begging him to let me leave. And finally, he got fed up. 'I know you miss your friend.' He said. 'I get it. I do. But the way you're acting isn't doing anything for either of you! Do him a favor, and do yourself a favor. Stop messing around, and get your act together! Make him proud. Make yourself proud.' I just stared at him, before quietly asking 'Can I go now?'

"He sighed, and then nodded. He didn't know it, but I took his words to heart. I knew Niall would be disappointed in me, and the fact that I wasn't even trying. I also knew he would blame himself for this, when it wasn't his fault. I couldn't bear the thought of Niall blaming himself with my problems, so I took Kennett's advice. I got my act together. I went to bed at a decent hour. I did all of my homework, and passed all of my tests. And I pulled my grades up, and three years later, here I stand. The day I was announced valedictorian, Mr. Kennett walked up to me. 'I knew you wouldn't let me down.' And then he walked away without another word.

"If I've learned anything from being here, it's this: Never doubt yourself, and never give up. If you don't want to do something to make yourself proud, do it to make someone else proud. I had no intentions of ever standing where I am right now. Class president, and valedictorian. I didn't think I was able to do this. And to be honest, I didn't really want to. I wanted my best friend to be proud of me. And along with making him proud, I made others proud. Including myself.

"As my classmates and I begin the journey that is life, I want everyone to remember: Try your hardest. If not for you, then for someone else. To be honest, we are going to walk out of this gym today, out into the real world, and it's gonna hit us like a big smack in the face. That's just how it is. There's nothing we can do. We have grown accustomed to walking down these halls, and eating lunch with these people. Doing homework that we think is so simple. But college or whatever you decide to do after this isn't going to be like that.

"We're going to mistakes. But you know what? That's okay. Just as long as you lean from them, and don't make the same one twice. We're going to change our minds a thousand times, but that's okay! In life, nothing worth having is ever easy to acquire. There are going to be challenges. It's going to be hard, and you're going to want to stop trying. But don't give up. Keep pushing, and you'll get to where you want to be. Good luck to all of you in everything you do. I hope we cross paths again someday." I stepped away from the podium. The audience burst into my applause. My classmates all rose to their feet, clapping wildly, and soon the members of the audience were all on their feet. I grinned, and made my way back to my seat.

"Great speech Miss Grace." The principle said after the cheers died down. "And now for the awards portion." I got several of these. Half of them I don't even know what they were for. But I'm valedictorian and class president so maybe you can figure it out.

About half way through the awards part, my patience was running out. All I wanted to do was get my diploma, and be done with it. I would go home, and wait for Niall to come get me. Mr. Burns finished with the awards, and it was time for the diplomas to be handed out. It took forever just to get to the G's, and my patience was thin.

Finally, it was time. The row I was sitting in rose and walked to the door that led into the hallway, and the stage stairs. I was about the sixth one in the row.

"Amberlynn Grace." I walked up the steps, and across the stage to get my diploma from Mr. Burns.

"WOO! GO AMBER!"

"YOU GO, AMBERLYNN!"

"GOOD JOB, AMBER!"

"WAY TO GO AMBERLYNN!"

"AMBER, YOU'RE AMAZING!" I grinned at the cheers. Focusing only on getting my diploma, I didn't pay attention to the voices that screamed at me. It was probably just the football team. They all loved me.

A feeling of pride swelled within me as the principle handed me my diploma. It was quickly overtaken with a feeling of sadness, as I thought of Niall and how much I wished he was here to see this. He was missing me reach a huge milestone in my life, and he was the reason I was here.

My grin never faltered though, and the sadness was gone as quickly as it had come, once I had my diploma in my hand. I shook Mr. Burns' hand with my free one, and walked off stage.

"Please rise." The principle said when the last person had walked across the stage to receive their diploma, and had made their way back to their seat. "Everyone, please move your tassels to the opposite side of your cap." We did. "Ladies and gentlemen, I proudly present to you, the Ridge view class of 2012!" And with that, we threw our caps into the air. I picked mine up when it landed, and clutched it in my hands. I was completely engulfed in hugs of some of my friends, who were crying, their eyes red and puffy, and their make up running. My guy friends all gave me hugs too, and told me they would miss me so much. And then, their families started pouring onto the floor, and they left to share this moment with them.

I squeezed through small gaps of celebrating people, and slowly made my way outside to meet with my parents. I found them on the gym steps.

"Congratulations, Baby!" My mom gushed when I walked up to them. She wrapped me in her arms, and then pulled away so my dad could engulf me in a giant bear hug.

"Thanks, Mom." I said.

"So, I was thinking. How about we all go out for a short celebratory dinner? And then you can go back home." I caught how she said you.

"Me? Don't you mean we?"

"Well..." She said . "Not exactly."

"What'd you do?"

"Your mother here planned a surprise graduation party for you." I looked at him.

"What!?" I yelled in horror, as my eyes snapped back to my mothers tear streaked face.

"Don't worry. We won't be there. Try not to drink too much. Because I know someone is going to bring alcohol. And... stay away from drunk boys. Actually, just stay away from all boys." He shuddered.

"No need to worry, Dad."

"It'll give you a chance to get to see everyone before they go off on their own." My mom said, putting herself back into the conversation.

"Thanks, Mom. But there's only five people I want to see right now. One in particular. And he's not here. None of them are." My voice got quiet at the end. I can't believe he wasn't here. I can't believe he broke his promise. I blinked hard, forcing the tears to not spill over, and then clear away. I noticed my parents share a look.

"I'm sorry, Sweetie. I know how much you wanted Niall here." His name was like a stab in my chest. Reminding me again that he wasn't here. "Anyways, meet us at Kings Buffet. Maybe some Chinese food will cheer you up!" My mom said.

"Sure, Mom. Thanks."

"See you in a bit." She said.

"Bye, hon." My dad said.

"Bye." I ran down the stairs, and got on my bike. I put my helmet on. I drove home to deposit my gown, cap, and awards and everything, before going to meet my parents at my favorite restaurant.

Author's note:

So, what do you lovelies think?  Don't worry. I will be finishing Once in a Lifetime. That's a given! :) And I have another Harry Styles fan fiction I'm working on. Plus, an idea for another one in my head! And I have one for Louis too. But I haven't started those last two. I'm going to finish Once in a Lifetime and Taken first. If you're reading Once in a Lifetime, thank you for all of the support you've given me. You don't know how much every vote, fan, and comment means to me. And you have no idea how many of you bring a smile to my face when you comment telling me how much you love my book. It means alot. So thank you. I love you. :)

By the way, you see that beautiful girl on the cover over there? Yeah, that's my best friend. She means the world to me. And she's the reason I'm writing this.

I love you Cookie Monster!! :)

So, today was the last day of school, and I'm completely sad. I miss my friends. But I got plenty of pictures, not enough in my book, and I've always got my memories. It's hard to believe my freshman year is already gone! I started crying when I saw my best friend, Cody on his bus. Because I won't see him for three months, except for when I go to meet him sometime next week to give him his Cd. As for my other best friend, Cayley, she's gonna be staying here alot. Cause I just won't be able to make it through the summer without her! I loves her to death!! :)
Anyways, so I finally got my binder back. and this is chapter one. I hope you enjoyed it.

~FAN, VOTE, AND COMMENT!!~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9K 70 12
Emma goes to Richmond High, she has no clue who One Direction is, nor does she care. So when she wins the school contest to take a trip to the UK wi...
598 26 58
!!!!!UNEDITED AND CRINGY AFF!!!!!! ______________ I take slow, unsure steps towards him and place my hands on his tense forearm and he softens at my...
36.7K 720 78
"Do you feel safe with him?" the question seemed silly; in my head I had immediately laughed at it because it was so absurd. How could I not feel saf...
16.9K 403 51
An Average girl named, Danae Laura Bennett. Who lives her life normally. She has a Boyfriend who are always far away from her. Until she get the...