Have Faith

נכתב על ידי littleLo

A chance encounter between two people changes the trajectories of their lives forever. Cassian Kensington was... עוד

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Epilogue

Chapter 21

15.2K 1.2K 166
נכתב על ידי littleLo

"Scared?" Malfoy muttered, so that Lockhart couldn't hear him.
"You wish." said Harry out of the corner of his mouth." J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

----

Chapter Twenty – One

Faith felt sick.

A duel? How could Cassian agree to a duel? How could he be so foolish? George was a proud gentleman! Did Cassian think that he had never engaged in a duel before?

George had engaged in three duels while Faith had lived at Runthorpe, all over money. Two opponents had been fatally wounded, and one had managed to survive. Duels were ended when the challenger was satisfied that there was no longer an offense. George had never been satisfied with only a single shot.

"She has been living as a whore, John," exclaimed George irately as he paced the drawing room before Faith, Joh, Ruth, and Olivia.

Faith was hardly listening.

As Cassian was the challenged party, he had the right to choose the weapon. George and John had grown up fencing. Faith prayed that Cassian did not choose the sword. There was no possibility of George being satisfied at first blood. He would run Cassian through.

"I always knew she was a loose woman," mused John. "Never the holy type of wife."

It had to be pistols. That was his only chance for survival, and even then it would be through sheer, dumb luck.

What if he died?

"I bet you Anne was with that man and their bastard when I discovered them in London!" added Ruth. "He probably hid like the coward he is."

In the grand scheme of things, Faith had only known Cassian a few months, but in that time he had changed her life. Faith had only ever known one sort of life, and one type of man. Cassian had opened her eyes to the kind of life that she had never known existed, the kind of life that she wanted for Lucy.

"All will be settled tomorrow," said George. "I am an excellent shot."

And most importantly, he had quickly become the exact sort of man for her. Faith had never been in love before. And she thought she loved Cassian.

Only now, at the possibility of losing him, was she aware of just how incredibly she loved that man. The thought of being without him was unbearable. This was not how it was supposed to be.

"Have you any defence, woman?" exclaimed George.

Cassian was supposed to be in London looking after Lucy. They were both supposed to be safe.

If Cassian was killed in the duel, Faith had no doubt that George would put Lucy in the ground with him. And over Faith's dead body was that happening.

Faith looked up, only to realise that everyone was staring at her. "What?"

"Have you any idea of the shame you have brought upon this house?" seethed George. He shook his head. "I had no idea of the depth of your selfishness. How dare you birth his bastard?"

Faith watched as George clenched his feet, his anger making him shake. He was going to strike her. Faith's eyes narrowed. "I am still here tonight, George. You touch me and I cut it off. That was a promise, mind."

George hesitated. "What do I want with you anyway?" he snapped. "You are spoiled goods now."

"We must thank God that the law is relaxed around duels," preached John. "The good Lord understands that we are men of honour, and our honour must be maintained."

"If you kill him, it will be murder," stated Faith.

George grinned darkly. "Not for the likes of gentlemen," he retorted. "You should be thanking me, Anne. With him and your bastard gone, there is no chance of your shame being spread about."

Faith flinched. "Hear me now, George," she threatened. "If you lay a hand on my daughter, I will do far more than cut off your prick," she cursed. Faith got to her feet and squared her shoulders, standing as tall as her small frame would allow. "I will cut out your pathetic excuse for a heart and cook it for breakfast. Do not think that I won't do it. You take away my daughter and I have nothing to lose. I will end your life and dance on your grave." Faith's voice did not shake, nor did she blink.

The room was silent, and Faith momentarily felt guilt that Olivia was present to hear her threat. But Faith meant every word. George would draw his last breath on this earth if he laid even one finger on Lucy.

George smirked. "I broke you once, Anne. I will do it again. A bastard is not the same as a real child. Women do not love bastards. You will soon bear my heir whether you like it or not."

"And that is why you will never be a father," countered Faith. Little did George understand her true meaning. "I would rather die than give you a child."

Again, George twitched with anger. "That can be arranged, my dear."

Faith barely slept. Every time she closed her eyes, her mind thought of all sorts of horrid, frightening scenes. She could see Cassian's death so vividly, and so she had emptied her stomach into her chamber pot twice.

She rose before dawn, dressed warmly, and stuffed whatever jewellery she could get her hands on into her pockets. She prayed Cassian did not bring Lucy to the duel, but if he did, then Faith would grab her and run.

The rest of the house was awake as well. Much to Faith's disgust, the servants were tasked with preparing refreshments for the witnesses. Fruit and pastries were to be served while two men possibly killed each other. It was utterly barbaric.

Faith, alongside George, walked down to the green beside the house. John, as George's second, Ruth and Olivia followed.

The air was cold, the clouds were low, and the rain was drizzling. It was a miserable morning.

The servants were assembling sheltered chairs and tables. A footmen had always carried down George's prized set of duelling pistols, as well as his fencing swords, depending on Cassian's choice of weapon.

Usually, Cassian's second would arrive with a note before the duel, with his master's choice of weapon on it. Both seconds would attempt to solve the issue of the offense without violence, but if no amends could be made, then the duel would go ahead. The duel was ended when the challenger was satisfied that the offense was no longer, and honour had been restored.

Cassian had never duelled before, and so he was unaware of this. Had he ever even fired a pistol?

Cassian was already standing on the green with a man Faith did not recognise. Lucy was nowhere to be seen. Faith said a silent prayer of thanks.

Cassian's eyes immediately went to Faith. He appraised her diligently. He was searching her for injury.

"Lucy?" was all Faith mouthed.

"Mr Carne," Cassian replied silently.

Faith relaxed as much as the situation allowed. Somehow Cassian had found her initial saviour. Lucy was safe and away from danger. Now she could focus all her worry on Cassian.

"I think I ought to have the name of the man I am about to kill," announced George in front of everyone.

Cassian looked relaxed. "My name is Cassian Kensington," he replied. "This is my second, Mr Finnegan Kelly." Cassian gestured to his stern, copper-haired companion.

"Kensington," pondered George. "I have heard of you."

"Funny," replied Cassian. "I have never heard of you."

Again, George twitched. Cassian was provoking him. George stepped towards Cassian and glared at him with such hatred. George snapped his fingers and John stepped forward. "My second," he snapped. "Reverend John Pendleton."

"Gentlemen," said Mr Kelly, holding up his hands and stepping in between Cassian and George. Faith detected a slight Irish accent. "It is my duty as a magistrate to inform you that any deaths here today are classed as murder under the law."

"You brought a magistrate?" barked George.

"I sensed you were not one to follow the rules," retorted Cassian.

Out of the corner of her eye, Faith spied another joining the party. Doctor Sampson, the local surgeon, had been summoned. She uttered another thankful prayer.

Even though it was technically murder to kill another in a duel, the courts seemed to respect the honour in a duelling death. Nobody was ever brought to justice.

"Your weapon?" asked George stiffly.

"Pistols," replied Cassian.

Faith watched in horror as John went to collect the pistols from their ornate box. He brought them over carefully, giving one to George, and one to Mr Kelly, to inspect for Cassian.

As Mr Kelly conducted the inspection, Cassian stared at Faith. Faith could tell that he was trying to appear reassuring. He was confident.

George would not fire more than three shots. Any more than three was childish and not gentlemanlike. Faith only feared it would not take him three shots to kill Cassian.

Mr Kelly was satisfied with the pistol, and had handed the weapon over to Cassian. He then joined John in the centre of the green to pace out the distance.

Faith was shaking. She watched Cassian as he moved into position, standing opposite George. Both men glared at each other. This was going to end in blood, only Faith was unsure of whose it would be.

Faith felt a small hand take hers. She looked to her left to see Olivia standing beside her. Olivia looked just as frightened as Faith was.

"Any last words?" challenged George.

Cassian looked directly at Faith. "I love you," he said sincerely. Cassian was not afraid.

Faith was frozen. She could not even respond to him. She could not comprehend what was about to happen. In a matter of minutes he could be dead. She would never forgive him for that.

"Take your aim!" cried John, as he raised his handkerchief in the air.

Both George and Cassian cocked their pistols and aimed at each other.

Faith stopped breathing.

"FIRE!" John dropped his handkerchief and an almighty bang echoed around the green.

The pistols fired and a cloud of gunpowder concealed their masters.

Faith screamed soundlessly as she searched the cloud desperately for Cassian. The gunpowder quickly cleared to show that both men were still standing.

They had both missed.

Cassian was still alive. Oh, thank God! She would kill him for putting her through this!

"Are you satisfied, George?" called John.

Oh, no.

"Absolutely not." George waved John over, indicating that he wanted his pistol to be reloaded.

"You have both fired!" cried Mr Kelly. "You have both risked your lives to restore honour. Is this not enough?"

"Get out of the way, Mr Kelly. A duel is not over until the challenger is satisfied. I am not satisfied." George aimed his pistol at Cassian once more.

Cassian reloaded his pistol and raised it again. He took a deep breath, staring directly at George.

"FIRE!" shouted John again.

Once again, the green was filled with the noise of gunshots. The air was permeated with the smell of gunpowder. Faith anxiously searched the cloud for Cassian. As the gunpowder haze cleared, Faith saw that Cassian was on the ground.

She screamed this time. She screamed an ear piercing scream, the sound only one who was truly suffering could make.

"Oh, God!" she cried, tears filling her eyes. Faith tore across the green, hiking up her skirts to move as quickly as she possibly could. Faith threw herself to the ground beside Cassian, and she cupped his face with her hands.

Cassian's dark eyes were open. They were wide with fear. He was alive, but barely.

"Oh, dear God!" Faith sobbed as she noticed Cassian's wounds. His white shirt was stained red with blood. He was shot. He was going to die.

Cassian was trembling, and he grabbed a hold of Faith's hand. Faith squeezed his hand tightly.

"Doctor Sampson!" she screamed, recalling that the surgeon had been present.

Mr Kelly was by Cassian's side as well, looking just as traumatised and fearful as Faith was. "This man is alive!" he shouted to the doctor. "He needs help!"

Faith looked around to see that the doctor, John, and Ruth were all surrounding George. George had also fallen.

Cassian, in his pain, noticed this too. With his other hand, he weakly grabbed on to Mr Kelly's shirt to gain his attention. "You ... take ... her," he spluttered. His voice was breaking, and his skin was paling. "You ... take ... Faith ... and ... Lucy ... to ... Norwood."

"No!" gasped Faith. "I am not leaving you." She shook her head stubbornly. Faith ripped away Cassian's cravat and tore at the buttons on his shirt. She pulled his clothing apart to expose his chest. Faith felt her stomach flip at the sight. His chest was red. Blood was swiftly pumping out of a puncture wound to the right of his chest. Faith knew she needed to stop the blood flow. She grabbed the cravat and pressed it against the gunshot, which elicited a cry in pain from Cassian.

"I made him a promise, Miss Faith," said Mr Kelly, as he looked down at Cassian regretfully. "He made me promise to make you leave if anything happened to him."

Faith knew that Cassian would have planned for his. But there was no way she was leaving this very spot. Faith had a sudden knack for threats. "You try to pull me from this spot and I will cut you," she threatened.

"I expected nothing less," he replied.

"No!" gasped Cassian. "Leave!"

His skin was becoming paler and paler. The cravat Faith was holding to Cassian's chest was quickly saturating with blood.

"He needs a surgeon!" urged Faith fearfully. And a miracle. Cassian needed a miracle.

---

Oooohhhh what will happen?? I had planned for a much more mature quote but then I couldn't resist including a little duelling quote from Harry Potter hehe. 

The funniest thing happened today. I tutor a girl in psychology and English once a week, and this week we finished ten minutes early. I don't know how we got onto the subject, but she told me she had never seen Star Wars. You tell me this, then you're in for an education. How can ANYONE not have seen Star Wars? It's iconic! Not to mention awesome! Anyways, so we're on YouTube watching all the trailers, and I come across "The Last Jedi" trailer and I am so excited because I haven't seen it (I know right, how?!). So in the trailer, it says coming this Christmas.

When I'm talking to my family about it, I suddenly remember I am flying to Europe on Christmas Day! MAJOR CRISIS!! I'm going "OMG I'M NOT GOING TO SEE STAR WARS FOR A WHOLE MONTH. I'M GOING TO BE AWAY AND I'LL MISS THE NEW STAR WARS. HOW WILL I NOT GET ANY SPOILERS? THIS IS GOING TO SUCK. I'LL BE A MONTH BEHIND EVERYONE!"

My family literally all stare at me with the most deadpan expressions, and my mum goes "Oh boo hoo, poor you will be in Europe, how tragic." Then we all cracked up laughing. I am very dramatic sometimes. 

But don't worry. I will see it while I'm in London. Any UK readers? What cinemas do you have? If I'm going to the movies here, we go to Village Cinemas. So which one should I go to while I'm in London? Thank you!

Vote and comment!!

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

120K 8.1K 24
Seven years have passed since Regan lost the love of her life. During that time, she found solace raising her three children, sequestering herself in...
One Glance נכתב על ידי Laura

היסטורי בדיוני

801K 51.1K 30
The Napoleonic Wars have kept Captain Luke Cassidy away from home, and away from his wife and son, for three years. There was nothing more in his li...
41.8K 1.9K 22
In order to save her family's reputation, Ella Hunter agrees to marry a mysterious nobleman looking to save his family's fortune.
Emily נכתב על ידי Tori

היסטורי בדיוני

261K 13.6K 25
*Book 2 in the Regency Series- can be read as a standalone.* Nathaniel Whitlock, Duke of Somerhall is used to debutantes who want him for nothing mo...