Chapter 21

"Scared?" Malfoy muttered, so that Lockhart couldn't hear him.
"You wish." said Harry out of the corner of his mouth." J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

----

Chapter Twenty – One

Faith felt sick.

A duel? How could Cassian agree to a duel? How could he be so foolish? George was a proud gentleman! Did Cassian think that he had never engaged in a duel before?

George had engaged in three duels while Faith had lived at Runthorpe, all over money. Two opponents had been fatally wounded, and one had managed to survive. Duels were ended when the challenger was satisfied that there was no longer an offense. George had never been satisfied with only a single shot.

"She has been living as a whore, John," exclaimed George irately as he paced the drawing room before Faith, Joh, Ruth, and Olivia.

Faith was hardly listening.

As Cassian was the challenged party, he had the right to choose the weapon. George and John had grown up fencing. Faith prayed that Cassian did not choose the sword. There was no possibility of George being satisfied at first blood. He would run Cassian through.

"I always knew she was a loose woman," mused John. "Never the holy type of wife."

It had to be pistols. That was his only chance for survival, and even then it would be through sheer, dumb luck.

What if he died?

"I bet you Anne was with that man and their bastard when I discovered them in London!" added Ruth. "He probably hid like the coward he is."

In the grand scheme of things, Faith had only known Cassian a few months, but in that time he had changed her life. Faith had only ever known one sort of life, and one type of man. Cassian had opened her eyes to the kind of life that she had never known existed, the kind of life that she wanted for Lucy.

"All will be settled tomorrow," said George. "I am an excellent shot."

And most importantly, he had quickly become the exact sort of man for her. Faith had never been in love before. And she thought she loved Cassian.

Only now, at the possibility of losing him, was she aware of just how incredibly she loved that man. The thought of being without him was unbearable. This was not how it was supposed to be.

"Have you any defence, woman?" exclaimed George.

Cassian was supposed to be in London looking after Lucy. They were both supposed to be safe.

If Cassian was killed in the duel, Faith had no doubt that George would put Lucy in the ground with him. And over Faith's dead body was that happening.

Faith looked up, only to realise that everyone was staring at her. "What?"

"Have you any idea of the shame you have brought upon this house?" seethed George. He shook his head. "I had no idea of the depth of your selfishness. How dare you birth his bastard?"

Faith watched as George clenched his feet, his anger making him shake. He was going to strike her. Faith's eyes narrowed. "I am still here tonight, George. You touch me and I cut it off. That was a promise, mind."

George hesitated. "What do I want with you anyway?" he snapped. "You are spoiled goods now."

"We must thank God that the law is relaxed around duels," preached John. "The good Lord understands that we are men of honour, and our honour must be maintained."