Risking the Long Game ✅

By JoshayaShipper4Ever

Maya Hunter: Maya's life was perfect. She had a family that loved her, a boyfriend who adored her (at least... More

1. Best Year or Worst Year
2. Run-Ins and Lies
3. Ditching and Deals
4. Angry or Sympathetic
5. Parties and Secrets
6. Tutoring and Mistakes
7. Confessions and Riley
8. Sneaking and Escapes
9. Good or Bad Idea
10. Trees and Bad Influences
11. Sick Days and Fights
12. Dating and Riley
13. Past and Present
14. Punches and Conversations
15. Beginning or End
16. Talks and First Dates
17. Fishbowl or High School
18. Secrets and Distractions
19. Love and Trust
20. Stay or Go
21. Fighting and Making Up
22. Did You Hear That or Not?
23. Pictures and Tears
24. Better or Worse
25. Rumors and Parties
26. Set-Ups and Make-Ups
27. Texting and Parentals
28. Chinese Take-Out and Hanging Out
29. Chalkboards and Phone Calls
30. Turkey and E-Mails
31. Busted and Forgiveness
32. Next Step or Too Far?
33. Confusion and Trust
34. Dream or Nightmare
35. Twists and Turns
36. Teasing and Pleasing
37. Cookies and Movies
38. Letters and Promises
39. Bad News and Boyfriend Goals
40. Baby Blues and Baby Boys
41. Coffee Dates and Chicken Nuggets
42. Study Breaks and Appointments
43. Have or Haven't
44. Lovers or Fighters
45. Celebration and Secrets
47. Nervous or Excited
48. Leaving and Reunions
49. Promposals and Pizza
50. Basic or Unique
51. Prom Prep and Anxiety
52. Dances and Hotel Rooms
53. Answer or Ignore
54. Caps and Gowns
Epilogue

46. Shopping and Surprises

2K 56 8
By JoshayaShipper4Ever

Maya's POV

"Are you sure you have everything?" my mom asks as she stands in the doorway of my bedroom while I'm finishing up packing for my weekend away with Josh.

"Um" I look around the room, surveying the area. "I think so" I gnaw my bottom lip. There was one thing I didn't have but Riley and I were fixing that.

"Good" my mom smiles. "Are you excited?" she asks. If only she knew that this weekend was a couple's getaway and not a road trip with all our friends.

"I'm beyond excited" I reply honestly. I couldn't wait to get away with Josh this weekend. I was excited to get away from the stress of real life even if it's only for a little while. The doorbell rings and a smile pulls at my lips. "That's Riles" I exclaim as I grab my bag.

"Riley?" my mom questions as I brush past her and head downstairs.

"Yea. We're riding to school together" I explain. "The girls are all going in Riley's car and the boys are going in Josh's rental." In reality I couldn't take my car today because it would be left at school for two days and we couldn't risk coming here to drop it off so Riley was taking me today. And we weren't going to school.

"Oh, okay" my mom says with a shrug as my dad wanders down the stairs.

"You heading out kiddo?"

"Yep" I smile as I pull open the door and find Riley standing on the doorstep.

"Morning" she says brightly. My best friend, the ultimate morning person. "You ready to go peaches?" she asks.

"Mhm" I nod. "I'll see you guys on Sunday" I smile as I move to hug my parents. "Thank you so much for letting me go" I add happily.

"You're welcome sweetheart" Shawn smiles as we pull apart. "Have fun."

"I will" I assure them as I turn back around to face Riley. "Let's hit the road."

~ 📚 ~

"I don't know which ones to get" I gnaw my bottom lip as I stand in the middle of the family planning aisle at Target.

"Does it matter?" she asks, holding a box in her hands and flipping it over to read the back. I laugh and stare at the options in front of me.

"I mean it has to matter" I reply dazedly, "otherwise why would there be so many?" Riley shrugs and I let out a frustrated groan. "Maybe I'm not ready to have sex. Maybe this is how you know."

"I doubt people decide whether or not to have sex based on knowing the type of condoms they're supposed to buy" she laughs. "And I don't think there's a specific type you have to buy. As long as they keep Josh from knocking you up I don't think it really matters."

I sigh, running my fingers through my hair and looking up to find Bridget standing a ways down the aisle. "Oh my god" I exclaim as I hide behind Riley.

"What?" she laughs as she tries to turn to face me but I continue to follow her.

"Bridget" I whisper. She turns her head and her eyes widen.

"This is awkward" she laughs lightly.

"It's not awkward" I reply, "it's a disaster."

"She'd know what condoms Josh likes" she says making my heart drop. I grab the cart and storm out of the aisle. "Maya" she exclaims as she follows me. "I was just joking around."

"It's not funny" I turn on her in frustration. "She slept with my boyfriend. I don't need you to remind me" I sigh, running my fingers through my hair.

"I'm sorry" she apologizes.

"Can we just go?" I ask hopefully.

"Okay" she gives as she leads me out of the store.

~ 📚 ~

Josh's POV

When my free period rolls around I stroll into the library not expecting to see my girlfriend since she told me she was spending the day with Riley but I find her sitting at our usual table causing my eyebrows furrow in confusion. "Babe? I thought you were hanging out with Riles all day" I say as I take a seat beside her.

"I was with Riley" she sighs. "Things didn't go quite according to plan so here I am" she forces a smile.

"What happened?" I ask worriedly, taking her hand in mine.

"Do you need to stay the rest of the day?" she asks. I shake my head and a soft smile pulls at her lips. "Good. Let's get out of here."

~ 📚 ~

"So what happened?" I ask Maya as we sit in the rental car eating McDonald's. She rolls her eyes, taking a sip of her coke before placing it back in the cup holder.

"Was it wrong of me to think we might sleep together this weekend?" she asks bluntly making me chuckle as I shake my head. I saw no reason in lying.

"No" I reply. "Is that why you're fighting with Riley? What? Does she think we're moving too fast or something?" I ask confused.

"No nothing like that" she shakes her head, stealing one of my fries and dipping it in her McFlurry. "We went shopping this morning" she explains but I only grow more confused. She sighs and takes another long sip of her soda. "We went shopping for condoms" she clarifies making my eyes widen as I stare her.

"What?" I laugh lightly, unsure if I heard her right.

"It was a disaster. How do you know which ones to buy? Why are there so many different ones?" she asks making my head spin a million miles a second.

"Okay, okay" I laugh as I place my hands over hers. "We'll get back to this in a second but uh why are you fighting with Riley?" I ask confused.

"Bridget was there" she says softly. My jaw literally hits the ground. "Riley made a joke that she would know which condoms you'd like" she explains causing the puzzle pieces to fall into place.

"Got it" I nod. "I'm sorry you and Riles fought but I'm sure she didn't mean to hurt your feelings."

"No I know" she nods, "but it still hit a nerve" she sighs.

"I'm sorry" I smile softly, "so" I smirk. "Did you buy any?" She laughs and shakes her head.

"Why are there so many?" she asks confused.

"Different reasons" I shrug, "but they just change how it feels mostly" I explain. "Like if we didn't use one at all it would feel totally different."

"Is it better without one?" she asks, a blush rising on her cheeks.

"Um yes" I laugh, nodding my head as I steal an Oreo chunk from her McFlurry. "But we're using one" I add making her giggle. "I love you but I'm not ready to be a dad yet."

"But I am on the pill" she reminds me as she steals another fry.

"True" I give, "but I don't think we should push our luck on the first go" I add with a chuckle.

"Mkay" she smiles as she relaxes against the door panel. "Are you ever gonna tell me where we're going?" she asks curiously.

"Nope" I pop the p. "It's a surprise." She rolls her eyes but smiles regardless making my heart skip a beat. "You ready to hit the road?"

"Beyond" she exclaims making me laugh. We clean up our mess and throw the garbage into the backseat before starting our drive. The drive isn't that short but since she was up early Maya passes out about an hour into the ride. I smile as I gaze at her. After everything we had been through we were together and I was so beyond happy. I just hoped she liked her surprise or else this was going to be a total bust.

~ 📚 ~

Maya's POV

"Maya" Josh shakes me awake. "Baby wake up" he whispers as my eyes flutter open to lock on his shimmering blue ones.

"Hi" I whisper making a smile pull at his lips as he caresses my cheek.

"Hey" he replies sweetly, gazing down at me. "We're here" he adds making me sit up abruptly and look out my window. I see a large white house with a red door and my eyes widen as I realize exactly where we are.

"Oh my god" I mutter softly as I turn to look at Josh. "How?" I ask in shock.

"My siblings stay here when they come into town. The house was paid off already and none of us have the heart to sell it" he explains.

"Josh" I whisper as I put my hand over his. "Are you gonna be okay with this?"

"I want you to see where I grew up" he smiles softly. "It's a part of me and I want you to experience it."

"Are we gonna get to see Feeny?" I ask excitedly making him chuckle as he nods.

"We're gonna have breakfast with him tomorrow" he says making a smile pull at my lips. "Do you wanna go inside?" he asks. I nod my head vigorously. We climb out of the car and Josh grabs our bags and leads me inside. He turns on the light and it illuminates the living room. "My room is upstairs" he explains. I nod and follow him up the steps and to his bedroom. He flicks on the light and my eyes land on a desk in the corner of the room and a bed against the same wall that the door was on. There was a bay window across from his bed and I chuckle.

"What is with your family and bay windows?" I ask playfully as he drops our bags next to his desk while I take a seat on his bed.

"I have no idea" he chuckles as he turns to look at me. "Okay so there's a bathroom right there" he points to his right which is my left, "there are two more bedrooms, one is Morgan's old room and the other is my parent's room. Please stay out of them" he pleads. I nod as he continues, "you saw the living room and through the door straight ahead from the front door is the kitchen. The back staircase leads to it as well" he explains.

"Okay" I nod. "I think I might take a shower."

"Yea okay" he replies, stuffing his hands in his pockets. "I'll go downstairs to whip us up some dinner" he smiles. I nod as he moves to head downstairs but he stops in the doorway and turns around to face me. "This is okay right? It was a good surprise?" he asks worriedly making me chuckle.

"Josh this is an amazing surprise" I assure him.

"Good. Okay" he smiles. "I'm gonna go downstairs. There are towels on the rack beside the sink." I nod and he leaves the room.

~ 📚 ~

Josh's POV

I decide to make grilled cheese since it's quick and easy to make. I had asked Feeny to make a grocery run for me a couple days ago so we had plenty of food in the house. There was even a case of beer that I'm sure Morgan or Eric left here last time they were in town but I don't question it as I pop one open and take a long swig. I'm in the middle of looking for tomato soup when I hear footsteps. "Whatcha making?" Maya asks curiously as she pads down the steps. I look up to see her in one of my t-shirts and a pair of athletic shorts, her hair damp and falling around her shoulders. My mouth goes dry looking at her. "Josh" she giggles as she hops onto the counter.

"Oh um grilled cheese" I tell her as I flip over the sandwiches before leaning against the counter and facing her. "Want a beer?"

"No I'm good" she replies as she kicks her dangling feet. "You okay? You seem on edge?"

"Me? Nope" I lie making her giggle.

"Sure" she smirks as she leans back. My shirt clings to her figure making it easy to notice she's not wearing a bra beneath it. I attempt to stop my dirty thoughts but the alcohol wasn't helping. "Josh" she laughs, "I think the sandwiches are burning" she points out as she sits back up. I turn quickly and notice she's right. The pan is smoking and I'm sure the fire alarm is about to start blaring at any second.

"Shit" I mutter as I grab the pan and move it off the burner. She laughs as the fire alarm blares. I use a spatula to pry the sandwiches off the pan and into the garbage before running water over the pan to cool it down. I move to open the window above the sink and the back door.

"Matthews."

Shit.

"Feeny" I greet the man as he wanders over to the house. "What's up?" I ask innocently making him shake his head.

"You're back for how long and already you're starting the house on fire?"

"I'm sorry Mr. Feeny" I apologize quickly. He shakes his head as Maya pops up behind me.

"Fenny" she exclaims.

"Hello Miss Hunter" Feeny says politely. "The two of you should be getting some sleep. We have breakfast plans" he reminds us.

"Of course" I nod. "We were just making a midnight snack" I add.

"Mhm" he mutters. "See you in the morning Mr. Matthews and try not to burn down your house before then" he adds. I nod as he walks back over to his house. I shut the door and lean against it.

"Do you have anything that doesn't require cooking?" Maya asks curiously. I sigh and walk over to the pantry and pull out bread, peanut butter, and jelly and place them on the counter. "PB & J" she smiles brightly. "Perfect."

My demeanor softens. "You think so?"

"Um yes" she laughs. "I grew up with a mom who was never around. What do think I ate?" she questions.

"I never really thought about it" I admit as I open the utensil drawer and pull out a knife. I slide it across the counter to her as I open the jars.

"Well" she says as she dips her knife into the peanut butter. "On the nights that my mom didn't bring me home a tuna melt I made peanut butter and jelly's or toast" she shrugs. "I spent a lot of time at Riley's."

"I know that part" I nod as I spread jelly onto my sandwich before closing it and licking the excess off of my fingers. "You ready to go upstairs?"

"Mhm" she replies, licking her fingers and placing her knife in the sink before following me upstairs. I turn on the television and follow her over to the bed. "What are we gonna watch?"

"No cable so um" I chuckle, "the news" I shrug.

"Law & Order might be on" she suggests as she takes a bite of her sandwich. I eye her confused and she chuckles. "I didn't have cable growing up" she says defensively. I smile and flip through the channels until I find the show. I put down the remote and relax against the headboard. I gaze at her as she watches the show intently. She catches me at a commercial break and smiles at me. "What?" she asks with a laugh, "do I have something on my face?"

"No" I shake my head. "I like this shirt" I smirk making a blush rise on her cheeks.

"Me too" she replies before turning her attention back to my television. I finish off my sandwich and put the plate on my nightstand. "You going to bed?" she asks curiously as I pull back the blankets.

"Was thinking about it. You can stay up if you want." She shakes her head as she places her plate beside mine as she snuggles underneath the blankets.

"I'm tired" she says as she cuddles up next to me. I smile as I reach over to shut off the light before wrapping my arms around her and pulling her close. I kiss the top of her head.

"Goodnight baby."

"Goodnight" she replies softly as she nuzzles against my chest. "I love you."

"I love you too" I whisper before drifting off to sleep. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

793K 15.5K 94
It's been two years since their someday deal and neither Josh or Maya have talked to each other much since. Now Maya is just starting her freshman ye...
10.2K 356 12
♡ A Joshaya AU/Short Story ♡ Maya Penelope Hunter is set to be the next queen. She's been preparing her whole life for this moment. The only problem...
187K 4.2K 56
♡ Joshaya AU ♡ Maya is a sophomore in college with a pretty perfect life, amazing parents, a best friend who she loves more than anyone, and a boyfri...
130K 3.4K 56
♡ Joshaya AU ♡ Maya is an aspiring ballerina who is more than ready to start her life at Manhattan School of Performing Arts. Of course her life is t...