On Love's Wings ~ A Snotlout...

By SapphireEyes2000

"Snotlout Jorgenson...Dragon rider, cousin of Hiccup Haddock III, Hero of Berk...he could never want anyone l... More

A/N
Chapter 1 ~ Chance Encounters
Chapter 2 ~ Impressive
Chapter 3 ~ New Surroundings
Chapter 4 ~ The New Recruit
Chapter 5 ~ A Merry Snoggletog Indeed
Chapter 6 ~ The Name Game
Chapter 7 ~ Music of the Night
Chapter 8 ~ Jealousy
Chapter 9 ~ The Scourge of Odin
Chapter 10 ~ Dragon's Song
Chapter 11 ~ Rekindling The Fire
Chapter 12 ~ Wings of Change
Chapter 14 ~ Captured Hearts
Chapter 15 ~ Flames & Steel
Chapter 16 ~ Maybe...Mine?
Chapter 17 ~ An Elder's Pride
Chapter 18 ~ New Beginnings
Chapter 19 ~ The Heart Is Mightier
Chapter 20 ~ A Jorgenson Wedding
Chapter 21 ~ Glimpsing the Past
Chapter 22 ~ Dragon Scales & Drool

Chapter 13 ~ Night Flight

1.3K 46 17
By SapphireEyes2000

One blustery morning, I found myself wrapping the injured paw of a baby Changewing with a poultice made of yarrow and lavender. The herbs would help by disinfecting the deep cut on the underside of its paw, while helping in the healing process as well. The dragons had been fighting amongst themselves lately, not too bad, but enough to cause minor scrapes and burns on one another. We had narrowed the reason down to an over abundance of dragon nip or just simple territorial scuffles. Typical dragon problems, nothing we couldn't handle. As I released the Changewing, a familiar male voice hit my ears. "Hey Brenna!" I looked over my shoulders at the viking heading toward me, smiling. Heat rose to my cheeks once more. "Oh...hey Snotlout. What's up?" I asked. "I really need your help!" He replied. I smiled, wiping my herb soaked hands on a nearby cloth. "Okay. What do you need me to do?" I asked curiously. "I really want to ask Minden on a date, but I have no idea what to do. I'm no good at all that cheesy romantic stuff, you know? Do you think you could help me maybe...practice...or something?" He asked.

      My heart rate accelerated. This may be a chance to get him to see me as something else...other than a friend. But what if it just makes me fall harder and hurt more. The pain is hard enough to bare already. I've gone through it more times than I should have, and I let myself do it over and over again. I can't keep putting myself in that position. What should I do? I thought. The voices in my head were screaming at each other, but I tried to keep looking calm and collected. I forced myself to make a decision."Okay. Sure. Of course I'll help." I replied, still smiling. I couldn't just think about my own feelings. If Snotlout really wanted to be with Minden now, then I should be a good friend and help him get the girl. As much as it was probably going to hurt, I had to help him. "Great! Thank you so much! I owe you one!" He said excitedly, pulling me into a hug. I chuckled softly, hugging him back. "It's no problem." "I'll pick you up at eight then." Snotlout told me, backing up. "Wait, for what?" I asked, slightly confused. "For our 'date' of course!" He grinned, winking at me. I rolled my eyes, "Alrighty then." I said, shaking my head. "Thanks again Brenna! See you later!" Snotlout said, jogging away.

     Sighing, I turned to look at Nightwing, the dragon lying on her stomach with her front paws crossed over one another, stretched out like a regal queen. But she was staring at me. I could tell she could feel the mixed emotions radiating from me. She nuzzled me gently, looking up at me with her big violet eyes. "I know girl. I want to tell him how I really feel so badly. I just...I can't. I've run out of time. He wants Minden now, and I can't ruin that for him." I whispered, scratching her chin scales. She leaned into my touch purring softly. "Come on, girl. Let's go get ready for my 'date'." I told her, smiling once more. She seemed to smile as well, and lowered her neck so that I could get in the saddle. With a whoosh of her wings, we were in flight to our hut.

    The remaining hours until the date flew by surprisingly quickly. I bathed thoroughly, scrubbing the dirt and dust from the day off of my skin. I brushed my hair again, plucking out every single knot and tangle caused by the wind constantly blowing around Gothi's hut throughout the afternoon. I put on a fresh outfit, my strapless blue tunic and black studded skirt and leggings. My black fur boots and bracers followed soon after. I looked pretty good, actually. "What do you think girl?" I asked Nightwing, who had curled up to nap in the corner. She let out a faint roar of approval, nodding as I stepped around in a slow circle. I laughed, hugging her snout tightly. "Thanks girl. I love you." I told her. She hummed gently in agreement, nudging me. Even though this wasn't a real date, this was probably the only one I would ever get with anyone, especially the guy I was in love with, and I was determined to have a good time.

     Suddenly, there was a soft knock on the door. He's here! I thought, brushing off my skirt. "Brenna! It's me!" Snotlout called from the other side of the door. I let go of Nightwing and rushed over to the door, taking a deep breath before opening it and smiling. "Hey Snotlo-" I began but stopped mid sentence as I finally took in his appearance. He always looked good but wow, he looked awesome. He had cleaned himself up as well. He was wearing his black fur robe and armor, but he was also wearing a glittering green vest over an open chested black tunic. His helmet had been polished and shined like new, and even his boots gleamed in the moonlight. "Hey..." I finally breathed out. Snotlout didn't reply.

     His gaze was locked on me however, eyes scanning over my body, and he seemed to be holding his breath. Could he like me too? No, that's ridiculous. I'm imagining things. "Hey Brenna...you look great." He said casually, shaking his head. "You ready to go?" He asked. I sighed internally, but nodded, still smiling. "Yeah, come on Nightwing." I said, motioning for my dragon. "Actually, do you think Nightwing could stay here? Minden doesn't ride a dragon, and I'd like to try and prepare myself for the real thing." His words unintentionally stung, but I nodded, turning to look at my dragon. "Sorry girl. We'll go flying again tomorrow okay?" I told her. Nightwing grunted in reply, shifting her gaze to Snotlout and growling softly. "Eh! Stop it! I'll be fine." I told her. Nightwing stopped growling, and looked past Snotlout and at Hookfang. Her eyes lit up and she pushed passed us to go to her mate. Hookfang purred as he saw my dragon and ran towards her. The two dragons pressed their sides together, entwining their necks and sniffing each other's wings.

     Snotlout and I smiled at the display of affection. "I'm glad we met. I'm happy they found each other."  I said softly. "I am too. I'm glad I met you..." Snotlout replied. My eyes widened and I turned to meet his gaze. A moment passed before he realized what he said and looked away, scratching the back of his neck. "Sooo...Wanna head out?" I asked, changing the subject. "Um yeah. Let's go." He answered. "Hookfang, come on, we need to go bud!" Snotlout called to his dragon. The orange dragon turned to growl at Snotlout before returning his yellow gaze to Nightwing. "Please, Hookfang?" I called. With that the dragon whined, and gave Nightwing one last lick and nuzzle, before moving to rest in front of Snotlout and I. "You can see her again later boy. I don't mind." I told him, petting his neck. He rumbled in understanding, and I turned my attention to my dragon. "Nightwing, go inside please." I told her. She let out a glum whine but did as asked.

      I walked over and shut the door behind her. "Sorry girl. Love you. See you later." I called, and then moved back over to my 'date'. Snotlout was waiting patiently for me, smiling from his place behind Hookfang's horns. He held his hand out to me, offering to help me onto the dragon. I gave him my own, relishing in the feel of how his larger hand encompassed mine completely. "Thanks." I said. "Of course, fair maiden." He replied. I hauled myself the rest of the way up, and settled comfortably behind Snotlout.

     Then I had a dilemma. Where should I hold on? Waist or shoulders? What would someone do in this situation. Taking the less awkward, safer route, I decided upon placing my hands on his shoulders. "You okay?" He asked, looking slightly concerned. I let out a deep breath. "Yeah." I replied. He nodded, before patting Hookfang gently. "Okay, let's go boy." Snotlout said. Hookfang raised his wings slowly, striding forward to gain speed. 

    As he came to the edge of the cliff, he leaped, nose diving toward the sea. I laughed, feeling the adrenaline rush through my veins. There was nothing that compared to riding a Monstrous Nightmare. Hookfang veered through the tall statues and stone structures, his claws separating the water as we glided over it. The mist hit my face and I felt truly free. Snotlout chuckled and urged Hookfang to gain speed, climbing higher and higher into the air. It wasn't long before we were soaring through the clouds, high above Berk, nearly touching the sky. I raised my hands toward the sky, feeling my fingers run through the fluffy white clouds. "So, where are you taking me?" I finally asked, leaning forward to talk to Snotlout easier. "It's a surprise!" He replied. I blushed, and sat back down. Hookfang let out a roar and did a triple barrel roll, descending back through the clouds.

     As land came into view, I became slightly uneasy. All I could see was steam. "Um...Snotlout?" I asked. "Relax. I promise it is amazing!" He said. I cocked an eyebrow, tightening my grip on his shoulders slightly. Hookfang circled the island a few times, lowering us down at a slow pace. His claws finally touched the ground and he walked a few steps before lowering his neck to let us get off of him. Snotlout hopped down first, before turning to me expectantly. I was slightly taken aback, used to getting off of dragons without anyone helping. But Snotlout was reaching out for me. "May I?" He asked. I tried to hide the blush that crawled across my face. "Oh uh...sure." I smiled, reaching out to grasp his shoulders again. His hands came to my waist, lifting me effortlessly from Hookfang's neck and setting me lightly on the ground. "Thank you." I said. Snotlout bowed in return, smirking. "This certainly is a change of attitude," I joked, and Snotlout shrugged. "Come on. It's just a little ways from here." He said. He was so excited that he was almost acting like a small puppy. I laughed, allowing him to take my hand and drag me through the steam covered island. The deeper into the center of the island we journeyed, the hotter my skin became, a slick sheen covering my face and arms in either sweat or water, either way I couldn't tell. 

     Suddenly, Snotlout skidded to a stop, making me run into him. "Oof!" I grunted. "Sorry." He said apologetically. "It's all good." I laughed. He suddenly walked up behind me, covering my eyes with his hands. "Hey!" I said. "Shh...I want to show you something." He whispered, breath ghosting over my ear. I shivered, but nodded, allowing him to guide me the rest of the way to this new secret place I assumed he was going to bring Minden to. "Okay." We walked for a few more moments, with a few "watch your step"s and "there's a log there"s coming from Snotlout to make sure I didn't trip on any obstacles on the ground below.

    It wasn't very long before Snotlout had me stop, his hands falling from my face. "Okay, open your eyes." He said, and I could hear the excitement in his voice. I did as told and gasped, eyes widening as I looked around. "Wow...this is...amazing." I said. We were standing at what I realized was the source for the steam on the island. It was a beautiful sandy beach, and in the center was a crystal clear lake. The cool air hit the surface of the water, creating a haze of steam, and I figured out that the water must be really warm if there was enough of a contrast between it and the air that the fog was so dense. "Do...do you like it?" Snotlout's voice broke through my thoughts. "Oh my Thor! Yes! This is beautiful! How did you find it?" I asked. "Hookfang and I went exploring by ourselves one day. We found it. You're the only person to see it besides us." He told me.

     My heart swelled happily, but it soon dissipated when I remembered the real reason we were here. "I'm sure Minden will love it." I told him. "Minden? Oh...yeah...thanks." Snotlout said, and suddenly he didn't seem so excited. "Snotlout, are you okay?" "Oh, yeah, totally." He replied. I smiled, "So...um...do you want me to act like Minden? You said that you wanted practice. I could pretend to be her and you could practice what you want to say." I suggested. Snotlout seemed taken aback. "Oh my Thor Snotlout, you're so strong and brave! I'm so lucky to be on a date with such a great viking warrior! Oh hold me. My faint heart can't take your muscles! Please oh please, tell me about all your great adventures." I imitated Minden to the best of my ability. Hookfang snorted, and I knew he was amused by my impersonation. It was pretty spot on if I did say so myself. Snotlout started cracking up. "Okay, as mean as that was, it was actually pretty accurate." He said. I blushed, glancing away. "Ah, wow... um actually...no. I want you to be...you. I couldn't ask you to be anyone else." He said, taking my hands. I smiled, warmth flooding my heart again. Snotlout grinned, squeezing my hands, and then let go to walk away. I instantly missed the contact. "So what exactly did you have planned for your date with Minden?" I asked. "Well...er...I was planning on bringing her here. Maybe go swimming, talk about each other, discuss dragons...I'm not really sure what else though. Have any ideas?" He asked. I nodded, and turned away to think.

    There were a lot of things I knew I would enjoy, but knowing if Minden would enjoy them too was a totally different story. "Well you coul-" I cut myself off, letting out a squeak of surprise as some arms curled under my back and legs and picked me up off the ground. Snotlout let out a laugh as I wrapped my arms around his shoulders tightly. "Not funny!" I said, glaring at him playfully. "It totally is." He smiled, carrying me across the ground. I sighed, going limp in his arms. "Jerk." I grumbled. "Yeah, but you love me for it." He grinned. "True." I replied, glancing away. You have no idea just how much. I thought.

    Then I was flying through the air, and only to find myself crashing through the hot, steamy water a moment later. I broke back through the surface of the pond, sputtering and spitting out the water that had entered my mouth and my nose. I treaded water, turning to look at Snotlout in mock irritation. "What in Thor's name was that about?" I asked, brushing my hair out of my face. "What? Thought you might like to go for a swim." He laughed, unclasping his furs. I swam forward, hitting the shore and resting at the edge of the sand. "Oh really? Well then I guess you don't mind joining me." I said, grabbing Snotlout's wrists and pulling him into the water with me.

     He let out a shout of surprise and came back to the surface, eyes wide in shock. He finally rested his gaze on me, and there was a mischievous glint in his eyes. "Oh it's on." He laughed, reaching forward and grabbing at my waist. I giggled, jumping out of the way and swimming a good distance backward. "Seems like you're getting slow Snotlout." I teased. "Hey!" He replied. I smiled and turned around to keep treading water, noticing Hookfang watching us curiously. The water was really warm, relaxing. It felt nice, even as it soaked through my clothes and boots, almost lulling me into a dream-like state. I rolled onto my back, floating on the beautiful lake and closing my eyes. I could stay here forever.

     A faint rumble hit my ears and I opened my eyes, confused. "Hookfang! Don't you dare!" Snotlout said, looking in the direction of the orange reptile. He was standing right next to me. I sat up, shifting my body so that I could get a good look at the dragon. Hookfang seemed to be smirking, his golden eyes narrowed and his tail hovering high above the water. As if on cue, he slammed his tail into the lake, creating a multitude of waves that fanned outward from his position on the sand. The strength of the splash was enough to cause the smaller swells to join into one towering wall of water that crashed over the two of us, knocking our bodies for a loop. We had just enough time to grab onto each other before we were both swept under the tide in a tumbling mess of limbs. The water below was swirling and sloshing from side to side, sending us flying through the water in multiple directions at once. What felt like an eternity later, we collided with the shore.

      The surge swept Snotlout and I onto the soft sand, sending us rolling together over the ground. We finally came to a stop, him laying against the lumpy ground, with me sprawled out across his chest, our hands searching for something to ground ourselves and stop the world from spinning. We were both breathing heavily and coughing out water, totally drenched and looking like drowned yaks. "Woah!" I gasped. "I'm gonna skin that dragon." Snotlout grunted. Our eyes met, and we burst out laughing again. "Whew. That was...that was something." He chortled, shaking his head in disbelief. "Yeah." I smiled, quickly turning into a tomato as I realized just how close my friend and I were. "Oh...uh...sorry." I apologized. "It's...it's quite alright..." He replied, and I finally registered his arms wrapped tightly about my waist. We stared at each other for a few moments, neither wanting to break eye contact. His pupils expanded and moved from my eyes to my lips, then back again, and I did the same. I could feel the tension rising, and we both began to lean in. My eyes began to close. It's finally happening! I thought. But as I inched closer to him, uncertainty grew in my stomach. No! You are here to help him with his date. You're not Minden. He doesn't want you. This is a mistake. I sighed, leaning back away from his face.

    Feeling my movement, Snotlout opened his eyes with a puzzled expression on his face. "Oh....oh...I'm sorry..." He whispered, the situation and its implications finally dawning on him. I sat up, shifting to move off of his chest. "It's okay..." I replied, blushing darkly. He sat up as well, his spine popping, and I could feel him staring at me though I refused to meet his gaze. "Hey...uh...Hooky? Can you come here, please?" I called the orange dragon. He lifted his head, making eye contact with me from across the lake. It seemed even he could feel the awkward atmosphere. He unfurled his wings, jumping into the air and gliding over to Snotlout and I. "Would you mind helping us get dry, boy?" I asked, leaning forward and scratching his chin. The dragon rumbled in reply, and then lit himself on fire, allowing the heat from the flames to soak into our drenched clothes and bodies. "Thanks, boy." I smiled. "So...how is your training with Gothi doing? Is your ceremony coming up soon?" Snotlout asked, obviously trying to ignore what had almost happened.

     A part of me was furious with myself for pulling away. I had almost got what I had always wanted. He probably was confused by my actions and hated me now. But he seemed to want to move passed the whole experience, get back to how we normally interacted. "Oh...um...it's going well...The ceremony should be within the next three months. What about the dragon races? Any new tricks to beat Hiccup? I asked. "Well now that you mention it..." He began. I smiled once more, feeling the unusual atmosphere go back to normal.

   We continued to talk for quite a while, enjoying each others' company away from the stresses of home. But soon we both sensed it was time for us to be going. Our clothes were finally dry, and Hookfang stopped the flames secreeting from his body. "So...should we go back home?" Snotlout asked quietly. I yawned, nodding. "Probably." I agreed, getting to my feet. Snotlout quickly followed, walking passed me and over to Hookfang. He mounted his dragon quietly, but smiled and held his hand out to help me once more. I smiled back and accepted his offer, using his hand as leverage to haul myself onto the dragon's neck. "Ready to go?" Snotlout asked. "Yes, sir." I replied, placing my hands on his shoulders once more. Snotlout leaned forward, telling Hookfang something I couldn't quite make out.

     A moment later, the dragon slowly took flight, soaring gently into the air, gradually gaining altitude. As we emerged above the steam blanketing the island, my eyes widened in wonder. The moon was even brighter than when we left Berk, illuminating everything below in the most beautiful way imaginable. "Woah..." Snotlout and I spoke in unison. But what truly took my breath away were the small creatures flying around and circling us in the sky. As my eyes focused in on them, I discovered they were tiny silver dragons with metallic wings that shimmered in the moonlight. "What are they?" I asked in astonishment. "I like to call them Starwings, because they look like stars from the distance." Snotlout replied. I grinned, nodding in agreement. "Do the others know about them?" I asked. "Not yet. I wanted you to be the first." He answered. Though I tried to resist it, my heart swelled with warmth again. "Thank you, Snotlout. They truly are breathtaking." I whispered, watching in amazement as one landed on my arm, chirping at me with its head tilted. I let go of Snotlout with one hand, petting the tiny dragon and feeling it hum in happiness. Without another word, the reptile took flight into the darkness above, joining a second one and gliding away. I shook my head, returning my attention to Snotlout as we were carried through the sky and clouds once more, heading home.

    When we finally arrived on Berk, Hookfang flew directly toward my hut. We landed about ten feet away, and Snotlout dismounted first. Once again he insisted on helping me down as well. We both walked over to my front door and I reached forward, grasping the handle and pulling the wooden doors open. Nightwing jumped out instantly, nudging me happily in greeting. "Told ya I'd be back girl. I missed you too." I told her, hugging her face. Her lavender gaze fell on Hookfang, and I stepped aside, allowing her to go see the male dragon.

     Snotlout chuckled again and we turned to face each other. "Nightwing can stay out with Hookfang tonight, if you want. They haven't spent time together in a couple weeks." I said to Snotlout. He nodded, glancing at the dragons playfully swatting at each other. "Okay. Sure..." "Listen Snotlout, I just-." "There's something I want to say." To my surprise, Snotlout and I began speaking at the same time. I blushed, glancing away, then looked back into his eyes. "You first." I said. "No, you. I insist." He responded.

     I took a deep breath and nodded. "I just wanted to say thank you, Snotlout. I had a lot of fun tonight. I'm glad I mean enough to you that you chose to show me all those wondrous things before anyone else. I'm so lucky to have you as my friend, and Minden is going to be a lucky woman to have you by her side. If she has half a brain she'll know just how much you deserve to be appreciated...and loved..." I whispered the end of my sentence, still blushing like mad but determined to tell him what I had been yearning to all night.

     His eyes were wide as he finally comprehended my words, and he stared at me as if he had been slapped across the face. "You okay?" I asked cautiously. "No...I mean..yeah...thank you Brenna....that really means alot to me. No one's ever said anything like that to me before." He replied. "Well now they have." I replied, smirking. "Yeah. I suppose so." He chuckled half-heartedly. "So?" I prompted. "What did you want to say?" I inquired. "Oh...just...I wanted to say thank you for helping me practice and for coming with me. You're a really awesome friend." He told me. I smiled, ignoring how my heart clenched painfully. "You're welcome. Goodnight Snotlout." I said, reaching forward and hugging him tightly. "Goodnight Brenna. See you tomorrow."  He said, voice muffled by my hair. "See you tomorrow." I repeated, pulling away. With one last smile, I walked into my hut, breathing deeply for the first time in hours and slouching against the door. Thor help the girl if she hurts him. I thought, closing my eyes.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

83.2K 1.5K 22
! Set In Race To The Edge ! Y/N Jorgenson had went missing long ago during the ages where dragons where hated by every Berkian, after Y/n's disappear...
34.9K 883 14
It's been five years since Hiccup changed the minds of Berk, and everyone is happier for it. It's a more peaceful way of life, and it opens the doors...
71.4K 1.8K 41
Everyone in berk is ashamed of hiccup , including his father. But not his mother. Just because he couldnt kill a dragon. One day hiccup desides to go...
5.5K 187 8
(y/n) is the son of a fishermen who grew up on Berk alongside his best friend Hiccup. Both went through losing a parent during a dragon attack. (y/n)...